Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Of all the wrong opinions being spouted, this is somehow the most wrong!

I think both sides, either (i) defending or (ii) condoning would agree that is definitely not what happened.

I reckon you're on your own here. :pac:

My first reaction when I saw it was contrived/staged...at least to some extent

Lady on cutting edge during the week said the very same thing...

So not alone.

walshb wrote: »

So not alone.

at the most he may have planned to climb into the ring to congratulate Ward if he won. what happened after he did that, when in fact the fight wasn't technically over, was pure rabid madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

So not alone.

what on earth would a lady on cutting edge know about MMA?

Asus X540L wrote: »
    what on earth would a lady on cutting edge know about MMA?

Probably very little. But it would not preclude her or anyone else from giving an opinion on this incident. The incident wasn’t MMA. It was one man’s breaking rules and behaving like a lout...

Conor was D only person responsible for that volatile situation...

It was either pure spur of the moment, or somewhat thought out planned type behavior..Looks the latter to me. Maybe a bit of both?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Probably very little. But it would not preclude her or anyone else from giving an opinion on this incident. The incident wasn’t MMA. It was one man’s breaking rules and behaving like a lout...

Conor was D only person responsible for that volatile situation...

It was either pure spur of the moment, or somewhat thought out planned type behavior..Looks the latter to me. Maybe a bit of both?

He may have planned to get in the cage and celebrate with Charlie after the fight was called?

As for entering before? I highly doubt it, and for pushing Marc Goddard and slapping a Bellator employee? Come on..

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    He may have planned to get in the cage and celebrate with Charlie after the fight was called?

As for entering before? I highly doubt it, and for pushing Marc Goddard and slapping a Bellator employee? Come on..

Simple...he wanted to grab centre of attention, and he did...that to me is contrived..I am not saying he planned every aspect of it..

All the rest is just waffle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

My inkling is mcgregor is going to fight diaz at ufc 219. He deleted a post last night, diaz's coach deleted a post recently too. I bet the woodley/ufc saying mcgregor is off the card/coach kavanagh now saying he'd prefer conor to fight tony, all being used to get them to agree to a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

spix wrote: »
    My inkling is mcgregor is going to fight diaz at ufc 219. He deleted a post last night, diaz's coach deleted a post recently too. I bet the woodley/ufc saying mcgregor is off the card/coach kavanagh now saying he'd prefer conor to fight tony, all being used to get them to agree to a deal.

But he’s been “pulled” as “punishment”.

But he’s been “pulled” as “punishment”.

could be to try get mcgregor to panic and say ' let me fight, I'll take your lower offer' ufc have done this before, probably leaked the woodley diaz rumor after the removal from card threat didn't work.

https://www.mmamania.com/2016/11/1/13491672/coach-khabib-nurmagomedov-used-pawn-ufc-negotiations-with-conor-mcgregor-ufc-205-mma

Khabib offered fight with alvarez at 205, he says he signed it. Mcgregor ends up fighting alvarez
    Woodley offered fight with diaz at 219, he says he signed it. Lets see ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

could be to try get mcgregor to panic and say ' let me fight, I'll take your lower offer' ufc have done this before, probably leaked the woodley diaz rumor after the removal from card threat didn't work.

Having told the commissioner, Mangzolli, I think, that they have punished him by taking him off this card, could it bite them in the arse in the future if they reneged on this??

• Advertisement

Both Diaz fights have shown us that Conor needs a good, planned-out camp with as much cardio as possible to beat Diaz in a 5 round fight.

219 is 6 weeks away, effectively a 5 week camp + promotion. Conor has apparently been on the piss since he beat Mayweather. I doubt they would take the fight at this stage.

Both Diaz fights have shown us that Conor needs a good, planned-out camp with as much cardio as possible to beat Diaz in a 5 round fight.

219 is 6 weeks away, effectively a 5 week camp + promotion. Conor has apparently been on the piss since he beat Mayweather. I doubt they would take the fight at this stage.

Conor has Diaz's style sussed out completely you can tell by the early rounds in the 2nd fight, he was able to read him like a book. He would fight him any day with no preparation, Diaz isn't someone who can change his style he's very limited. Cardio is an issue but I think Mcgregor has reached his max potential there and its never going to have extremely good cardio but the good thing with that is its not going to get much worse either.

Conor has Diaz's style sussed out completely you can tell by the early rounds in the 2nd fight, he was able to read him like a book. He would fight him any day with no preparation, Diaz isn't someone who can change his style he's very limited. Cardio is an issue but I think Mcgregor has reached his max potential there and its never going to be great but the good thing with that is its not going to get worse either.

Well I disagree. The only way he beats Diaz is with a structured, planned training camp and his cardio as good as possible. Which is how he edged the 2nd one.

Coming in with a shorter training camp and having seemingly been on the piss for months, I think it's a repeat of the first fight. Imagine the second fight if Conor's 'not great' cardio had been just a little bit worse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Much chance as me fighting on 219 as McGregor, UFC cant play no games with him they are currently working out a deal on giving him shares ffs he returns when he feels like it and against who he feels like fighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What did these deleted posts say?

What did these deleted posts say?

Pic of him in his car, but with caption showing only an icon of a tumbler glass, which could imply deal done or something. Can't see any reason to delete it. And Diaz's coaches one basically saying he's in camp for a fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Conor McGregor is a dirty ****ing knacker. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Hey Joe man hows things ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Woodly Vs Nate would be embarrassing for Nate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,566 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

And you of course are a fine upstanding citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gamebred wrote: »
    ]they are currently working out a deal on giving him shares ffs

No they're not.

Conor asked for shares, as pointed out by Marky Mark if he wants shares in WME-IMG he has to buy into the company, but even if he does that the company can't let him compete under their banner. How the feck can a promotion try claim be impartial if one of their fighters is part owner of the promotion?

It's fine in boxing where the promotion has nothing to do with rankings, sanctioning or anything else, but in MMA it's total bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

No they're not.

Conor asked for shares, as pointed out by Marky Mark if he wants shares in WME-IMG he has to buy into the company, but even if he does that the company can't let him compete under their banner. How the feck can a promotion try claim be impartial if one of their fighters is part owner of the promotion?

It's fine in boxing where the promotion has nothing to do with rankings, sanctioning or anything else, but in MMA it's total bollocks.

It’s bollox but MMA isn’t regulated. It’s not unrealistic he gets a cut without a say. Even enough to stroke his ego

Conor is big now for sure and his star is brighter then ever but in a few years his celebrity will have died down and UFC will still be around, they need to stop pandering to him. If he isn't fighting until April then just strip him of the lightweight title. You can't just not defend for 1.5 years while not injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lukker- wrote: »
    It’s bollox but MMA isn’t regulated. It’s not unrealistic he gets a cut without a say. Even enough to stroke his ego

UFC sold for 4billion, if they gave him a 1% cut that's 40million

Crazy figures, he doesn't seem the type of guy to settle for half a percent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭cletus

scudzilla wrote: »

Crazy figures, he doesn't seem the type of guy to settle for half a percent

More like he'll own 40 million of the debt they're trying to service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I suspect if equity is to happen on any sort of long-term basis, they'll clearly be looking post-career and want him as some kind of figure-head - though not unfeasible that the role may be more than a nominal one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

scudzilla wrote: »

That's not quite how it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

cletus wrote: »
    More like he'll own 40 million of the debt they're trying to service

Now that would be funny. Mayweather money wiped out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement