Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

D.Q wrote: »
    I genuinely can't believe the same boxing debates are getting fired up again. What the fuuuuuuuck.

I have the perfect boxing debate antidote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Actually, no, Conor gets enough stick in here when it's warranted (from myself included) so I'm going to challenge some of the revisionist history going on above because it's not doing his performance justice.

The statement that "Conor was only competitive when Floyd allowed him to be early on" is completely wrong, inaccurate, erroneous, mistaken, incorrect and false.

Conor's best boxing of the entire fight in terms of the whole package (footwork, movement, accuracy, body work, slips, combinations, counters, shoulder rolls) i.e. came in:

Round 8 - while Floyd was 100% trying his best.

The narrative that Floyd coasted early and battered him very late is true because Rounds 9 and 10 speak for themselves when Conor gassed. The narrative that Floyd was the superior boxer is clearly true as he won. The narrative that Conor would get beaten by Manny/Jeff Horn/GGG/etc is also true.

None of that takes away from the fact Conor's best boxing of the entire contest came deep into the fight so to everyone saying he only competed well when Floyd "let him early", you need to go rewatch the fight and, particularly, the 8th round.

That's not just my opinion. Here's a various collection of round-by-round scoring from media outlets:

USA Today:

"Round 8: Mac hits on top of the head again. May turns around. Mac still acquitting himself well. May starting to walk Mac back. Fighters in a clinch. Mac breathing through his mouth. Left to the body by Mac. Left uppercut by May. Combo by Mac lands nicely. Very close round. Could go either way but I give it to Mayweather to tie it up."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/boxing/2017/08/26/floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-round-by-round-analysis-updates/605024001/

Sports Illustrated:

Round 8: "That was our closest round yet. Both McGregor and Mayweather appeared to gain second winds. Why am I giving the edge to McGregor? Because the other guy is 49-0, he shouldn't be in Round 8 against a guy who is 0-0. Whether McGregor wins or not, this has been an incredible showing."

https://www.si.com/boxing/2017/08/26/floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-fight-live-blog-analysis-updates

Daily Telegraph:

Round 8: "Good round for Mystic Mac, he just landed more. Not hard, not dangerous but just landing more. The Irishman has rallied and believes in himself. It was a close round though."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2017/08/27/conor-mcgregor-vs-floyd-mayweather-result-fight-winner-announced/

LA Times:

"Round 8: McGregor wins close round; fight even

Mayweather looking loose this round, although McGregor is landing some nice shots. Nice exchange for both fighters.

Not a lot of action in the round but this is the best round for McGregor since the third. Nice combination by McGregor.

A very close round. McGregor might have gotten it. But this will be the round that could be key in how the judges call it."

LA Times Card: 10-9 McGregor (76-76 even)

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-mayweather-mcgregor-round-8-mcgregor-wins-close-round-1503809182-htmlstory.html

CBS Sports:

"Round 8:

10-9 McGregor

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/mayweather-vs-mcgregor-fight-results-highlights-money-wins-via-10th-round-tko/

Compubox also have it as the tightest round of the fight.

I went through 30 different media outlets who scored the fight in real-time. 15 of them gave round 8 to Mayweather, 15 to Conor. If I include Steve Farhood's scorecard on the Showtime broadcast, more awarded the round to Conor because he gave it to him. The phrases "close round" or "tight round" were written in 24 of the 30 scoring updates.

He boxed beautifully in that round against a world class boxer who was giving it everything.

Let's not rewrite history - Conor was ultimately well beaten and stopped but he was extremely competitive deep into that fight against a guy clearly trying to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I can give hundreds of examples. Most people here could if they really tried. MMA fans spend an inordinate amount of time talking about nonsense matchups and BS title shots.

Surely you appreciate the irony here given for all your complaining, you only really post in this (or similar) McGregor thread.
    Conor had some help along the way. If you don't think the UFC wanted him to be champion you are naive. There is a conflict of interest when the people who want a particular outcome are the same people who determine matchmaking, salaries, contracts, medical care, fight scheduling, promotion etc. The UFC even determine who else (eg teammates) fights on the same card and that can be (and actively is) used to benefit or hinder a given fighter.
    Of course they wanted him to beat Aldo. He was a more valuable champ.
    But if he lost to Brimage, Holloway and Brandao - he'd wouldn't been near consideration.
    Regardless, you are still only focusing on McGregor.

The fact you are ignoring nay points raised kinds suggests you aren't able to back anything you said up.

Straight answer, two guys who spend the last 8 years training in MMA. Had some ammy fights. Then make their pro debuts on a Cage Warrior/BAMMA undercard.
    How are they no competing in a real sport.
    I really love these "MMA isn't a sport, yes it is, no it isn't, yes it is" posts.

They add so much to the CMcG thread.

Would you prefer weeks of Conor v Pacquiao?
    Jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

My guess is Conor takes it easy for the Christmas, fights Ferguson around March and if he wins handy enough the buzz will start up again about him maybe being able to beat a top boxer. They seem to be queuing up so he'll have his pick.

Still see Zuffa wanting / getting in on some of that action.

Think the Diaz III fight will happen alright, but not till Summer 2019 or something like that. It's one of those fights that there is no real advantage in rushing as no matter what happens with both fighters in the interim, even if they both lose all of their next fights, the public will still yet want to see that Trilogy fight. So for both of them, barring injury of course, no harm to keep it on the backburner for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

https://twitter.com/Fight_Ghost/status/933910704297467904

ill tell ya one thing lads if an employee caused me this much hassle he's be back on the dole.

• Advertisement

dashoonage wrote: »
    ill tell ya one thing lads if an employee caused me this much hassle he's be back on the dole.
    He probably adds $50million to a PPV. I would give a flying fućk what sort of hassle and employee caused in negations in he brought in that money. The UFC are still cleaning up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It's Beckham at United all over again. Fergie got rid because one man does not make a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Mellor wrote: »
    He probably adds $50million to a PPV. I would give a flying fućk what sort of hassle and employee caused in negations in he brought in that money. The UFC are still cleaning up

Aint selling PPV's if he aint fighting.

Aint selling PPV's if he aint fighting.
    Selling as many as he would on the scratcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

When was his last UFC PPV??

• Advertisement

When was his last UFC PPV??
    August. Made the brass quote a lot of money by all reports.
    Don't think you thought that through tbh.

August. Made the brass quote a lot of money by all reports.
    Don't think you thought that through tbh.

That wasn't a UFC PPV though. They may have made money off it, but it wasn't their show.

That wasn't a UFC PPV though. They may have made money off it, but it wasn't their show.
    It was a co-promoted with Mayweather promotions. Regardless, the point remains. The brass made millions from that fight purely because of the contract with McGregor. Ripping it up over some hardball negotiations is not very good business imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If they cut him he starts his own promotion, so they would be increasing competition. They aren't stupid.

It was a co-promoted with Mayweather promotions. Regardless, the point remains. The brass made millions from that fight purely because of the contract with McGregor. Ripping it up over some hardball negotiations is not very good business imo.

Making a circus out of your brand is not very good long term business either.

It might make them money now from the fairweather fans, but how many actual fight fans are being turned off the UFC because of its persistence with "money" fights over fights of substance.

How many mid-top range fighters will want to fight in UFC in the future if they know they've to WWF it up to get recognized for their actual fight ability. If they lose them, then when the fairweather fans move onto the next bandwagon and they will, they'll have a hell lot less of a brand, McGregor won't be around forever. And they still have to service their debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

It's obvious that he has no interest in fighting any time soon so he's being as awkard as possible. He's enjoying life to much at the moment to be bothered training.

... but how many actual fight fans are being turned off the UFC because of its persistence with "money" fights over fights of substance.
    Very few I'd guess. For all the complaining people are doing. They are still watching. Especially where McGregor is concerned.
    I'm not agreeing with the shîtshow tactics. I just think the talk of brand damage is hyperbole.
    How many mid-top range fighters will want to fight in UFC in the future if they know they've to WWF it up to get recognized for their actual fight ability.
    Probably most of them tbh. At least while there is not equivalent alternative.

It might make them money now from the fairweather fans, but how many actual fight fans are being turned off the UFC because of its persistence with "money" fights over fights of substance.

F*ck all.

Put on the best card ever without UFC attached and see how many buys it would generate. "Casual" fans are where most of the money is, that's probably followed by the nutters who will watch (and pay for) anything UFC put on and merch and the like. Then it's the "MMA fans".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Sorry to keep up the boxing stuff but I'm just posting the few extra seconds released from the Paulie spar. I'm shocked that Paulie has his hands down by his sides in all the footage here. No wonder he got hit so much! I think this is from Conor's documentary so it's obviously pro McGregor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

They should have given 24 hours or they strip him. Let's see how of interest there is for him when he can't call himself the reigning UFC LW Champion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    They should have given 24 hours or they strip him. Let's see how of interest there is for him when he can't call himself the reigning UFC LW Champion.

Don't think the belt makes any difference atall to his popularity or pulling power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Don't think the belt makes any difference atall to his popularity or pulling power

The Draw of his Boxing matches has been the UFC Champion against one of the Top Boxers. I doubt the interest would still be there if he was stripped of his title.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah Mayweather was the big draw and I think people forget how much of a draw he is.

11 fights with over 900K buys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Mayweather_Jr.#Pay-per-view_bouts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

JohnMc1 wrote:
    The Draw of his Boxing matches has been the UFC Champion against one of the Top Boxers. I doubt the interest would still be there if he was stripped of his title.

Huge difference between stripped and losing it.

He can tell everyone he wants that he is real champion if stripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Just watched the documentary, the mac life & Roddy blogs& Helwani interviews combined were better I wouldn't bother with it unless you know nothing about Conor.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Huge difference between stripped and losing it.

He can tell everyone he wants that he is real champion if stripped.

Real champs defend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭XsApollo

The chump chump can do whatever he likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I can almost understand not defending his Cage Warrior belts, that was serving as a step into UFC.

But not defending the UFC belts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I want to see him defend the belts that just hold up his trousers as well

• Advertisement

He did say something along the lines of "I'll defend 145/155 belts twice a year and fight four times a year". People are not asking him to do anything remotely liked what he claimed he would do, people would be happy with just one defense of one belt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement