Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

dashoonage wrote: »

ill tell ya one thing lads if an employee caused me this much hassle he's be back on the dole.

July 11th, 2015 to November 25th, 2017 works out at:

868 days
    124 weeks.

In that period, Conor fought 6 times - 5 in MMA, 1 in boxing.

Those 6 fights generated 10,750,000 PPV buys.

I've no idea what % split the UFC got of the rumoured 4.4 million buys from May-Mac so I'll leave that out for a second.

Conor's 5x UFC fights did 6,350,000 buys on PPV @ $60 = $381 million gross revenue.

An educated guess judging from the documentation from the investor pitch when the sale to WME was ongoing, the UFC tend to clear just under 40% of that total. So, Conor has made the UFC around $158 million since the Mendes fight and if you include Dave Meltzer's estimates from the Floyd fight, Conor has made the UFC $200 million total in that period.

That works out at him making them profit of $1.54 million per week or $221,000 per day.

Meanwhile, he was paid a disclosed total of $8.5 million for the 5 UFC fights and if you include his rumoured deal of $5 per PPV sold, he was paid a grand total of $39.7 million for those 5 UFC fights.

Most bosses wouldn't consider an employee making them $160 million odd while you pay them $40 million to be 'hassle' :D

TL;DR - He is criminally underpaid relative to what he makes the UFC. If he wants to walk to the cage in his Louis Vuitton pyjama's with a tiger on a leash, he has earned the right to demand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wonder, how much would those PPVs make without Conor? What was the cost of his opponents salary and PPV share. What about his promotion and marketing. The worldtour, go big event, and whatever else they did added loads of buys.

Add those into the sums it's nowhere near 40/160. I'd guess close to 50/50.

Gintonious wrote: »
    I can almost understand not defending his Cage Warrior belts, that was serving as a step into UFC.
    Not sure if serious, or subtle trolling.
    Almost got me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Mellor wrote: »
    Wonder, how much would those PPVs make without Conor? What was the cost of his opponents salary and PPV share. What about his promotion and marketing. The worldtour, go big event, and whatever else they did added loads of buys.

Add those into the sums it's nowhere near 40/160. I'd guess close to 50/50.

Undercards and the UFC brand bring a certain prestige but the reality is its Conor thats the reason the card sells 7 figures PPV wise, record gates and brings in amazing numbers for BT sport at 5am.

He could headline a Bellator Card now and it would sell nearly just as well.

The 200k or so people who care about JJ vs KK aren't what sells - no one is fence sitting on a Conor card due to the undercard. Those 200k people are buying regardless - the casual sports fan is there for McGregor. The guy whos on sports centre and trending on twitter is why they press the red button.

His opponents get paid more because they are fighting him. Eddie Alvarez will be getting a fraction against Gathje for what he did against Conor.

He's grossly underpaid for his UFC fights. He was underpaid for the Mayweather fight from a business perspective at least.

Just because he's become the persona he adapted before his early UFC fights full time now doesn't change that.

Undercards and the UFC brand bring a certain prestige but the reality is its Conor thats the reason the card sells 7 figures PPV wise, record gates and brings in amazing numbers for BT sport at 5am.
    I think you missed my point tbh.
    I'm not disputing that a McGregor PPV sells 1.5m mostly due to McGregor alone. But non-McGregor PPV doesn't do zero buys. Wonder was attributing every buy to Conor's "value". It's more realistic to only attribute the 1milion extra buys he adds.

The 200k or so people who care about JJ vs KK aren't what sells - no one is fence sitting on a Conor card due to the undercard. Those 200k people are buying regardless - the casual sports fan is there for McGregor. The guy whos on sports centre and trending on twitter is why they press the red button.
    I'm not talking about the undercard. I'm talking about what UFC222 sells if Conor declines to fight on the card.
    His opponents get paid more because they are fighting him. Eddie Alvarez will be getting a fraction against Gathje for what he did against Conor.
    I'm well aware why they are getting more money. But still a business expense, do IRS ridiculous to ignore it.
    I was also refering to the fact Conor adding 1m buys causes his opponents PPV share to go up too. Another expense
    He's grossly underpaid for his UFC fights. He was underpaid for the Mayweather fight from a business perspective at least.
    I'm not saying he is or isn't underpaid. I'm saying the numbers above are wrong. If you are going to go to the effort of adding up the profits he adds, you need to include the expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

He did say something along the lines of "I'll defend 145/155 belts twice a year and fight four times a year". People are not asking him to do anything remotely liked what he claimed he would do, people would be happy with just one defense of one belt.

I don't think anyone expected him to do that. Just pick a belt and defend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone expected him to do that. Just pick a belt and defend it.

He only has one.

He only has one.

Now,but when he made that promise he was going for his second belt.

He could headline a Bellator Card now and it would sell nearly just as well.

Just because he's become the persona he adapted before his early UFC fights full time now doesn't change that.
    He is not grossly underpaid.

You should listen to Chaels latest podcast about this exact point. He was saying something like: "The UFC might promote 10 guys, invest money in them and only one of them pays off, when that one guy pays off they need to make the money invested back in the other fighters off the successful guy. Conor signed a contract with the UFC for x amount and he should honour the contract that he signed, Conor agreed to fight for a certain amount and he should stay true to his word"

The UFC invested money to get Conor where he is and now they deserve to make money back on him. If the UFC never signed Conor, Conor would be a nobody but the UFC would still be doing just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

He is not grossly underpaid.

You should listen to Chaels latest podcast about this exact point. He was saying something like: "The UFC might promote 10 guys, invest money in them and only one of them pays off, when that one guy pays off they need to make the money invested back in the other fighters off the successful guy. Conor signed a contract with the UFC for x amount and he should honour the contract that he signed, Conor agreed to fight for a certain amount and he should stay true to his word"

The UFC invested money to get Conor where he is and now they deserve to make money back on him. If the UFC never signed Conor, Conor would be a nobody but the UFC would still be doing just fine.

Stop will ya, he has made them plenty already. He has brought more eyes to the UFC than they ever could without him. He single handidly made UFCmainstream

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Don't forget that Conor essentially has enough wealth and star power to actually start an entirely new MMA organization if he wanted to and the UFC know this. Once his contract is fulfilled (which at this rate will be 2019/2020) he can/will set up his own clothing and merchandising company and make an absolute killing with that. He wouldn't have any problem poaching current and future UFC talent with the money he's sitting on right now let alone in the future.

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Don't forget that Conor essentially has enough wealth and star power to actually start an entirely new MMA organization if he wanted to and the UFC know this. Once his contract is fulfilled (which at this rate will be 2019/2020) he can/will set up his own clothing and merchandising company and make an absolute killing with that. He wouldn't have any problem poaching current and future UFC talent with the money he's sitting on right now let alone in the future.

Conor would be back on the dole very quickly. Whenever you start a business you should expect to lose money at first. The fight game is no different. You have venues to pay for, security, medical staff, insurance for the fighters, Pay the fighters, travel for the fighters if they're from out of Country,camera crew if you're going to film it for distribution,media outlets to advertise your events,etc. He'd be sinking every penny he earned into it [unless he gets people to invest with him as well]

So many MMA promoters got into the business, spent more money they could afford all thinking that they were going to be the ones to put the UFC out of business. Most of them ended up out of business after one or two events.

Conor is a fool [and so are his fanboys if they think so] if he thinks he'll be any different.

Stop will ya, he has made them plenty already. He has brought more eyes to the UFC than they ever could without him. He single handidly made UFCmainstream

That is not how business works. He signed a contract for a set number of fights and he hasn't fulfilled that contract yet. If he wants more money he should fight out his contract and then do what he wants.

Ronda and the whole "girl power" thing made the UFC mainstream. RRR fought in Brazil and she was cheered as if she was a local, she appeared in movies, WWE, tv talk shows etc. Not saying Conor didn't do his part also but Ronda did do a lot in regards to bringing the UFC to the mainstream.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Jamiekelly wrote: »

Conor would be back on the dole very quickly. Whenever you start a business you should expect to lose money at first. The fight game is no different. You have venues to pay for, security, medical staff, insurance for the fighters, Pay the fighters, travel for the fighters if they're from out of Country,camera crew if you're going to film it for distribution,media outlets to advertise your events,etc. He'd be sinking every penny he earned into it [unless he gets people to invest with him as well]

So many MMA promoters got into the business, spent more money they could afford all thinking that they were going to be the ones to put the UFC out of business. Most of them ended up out of business after one or two events.

Conor is a fool [and so are his fanboys if they think so] if he thinks he'll be any different.

He sold out a bigish arena in the UK for a sit down chat (think the attendance for the Ariel chat was around 3k). Any promotion he did on his own with an SBG undercard in Dublin or the UK would sell out against I dunno Joe Duffy. It wouldn't lose anything.

He could invest a mill of his own cash or anyone who wanted to back him and clear serious cash. It would be a slight risk but he'd have sponsors and broadcasters throwing guarantees at him to cover himself easily.

He wouldn't put the UFC out of business by any means but he'd be clearing more personally. He'd need to be on all the cards but yeah he's what sells.

Theres no delusion. He could walk on any chat show, SSN rolling coverage, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

He sold out a bigish arena in the UK for a sit down chat (think the attendance for the Ariel chat was around 3k). Any promotion he did on his own with an SBG undercard in Dublin or the UK would sell out against I dunno Joe Duffy. It wouldn't lose anything.

He could invest a mill of his own cash or anyone who wanted to back him and clear serious cash. It would be a slight risk but he'd have sponsors and broadcasters throwing guarantees at him to cover himself easily.

He wouldn't put the UFC out of business by any means but he'd be clearing more personally. He'd need to be on all the cards but yeah he's what sells.

Theres no delusion. He could walk on any chat show, SSN rolling coverage, etc etc.

Are you talking about one single stand alone event???

The formula you’re proposing would get very stale very quickly. It probably would sell out the likes of the 3 arena the first time and maybe even a second time but once the novelty has worn of people will get very tired of it.

Are you gonna have Conor headline every event that this hypothetical promotion puts on?? Besides the fact that it would go stale within 12 months, one injury and the whole promotion folds in on itself.

And having an event like this in Dublin or the UK is a sure fire route to failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

He single handidly made UFCmainstream

Well that's just nut huggery of the worst kind.

He has certainly expanded the reach but it had hit the mainstream long before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

That is not how business works. He signed a contract for a set number of fights and he hasn't fulfilled that contract yet. If he wants more money he should fight out his contract and then do what he wants.

Ronda and the whole "girl power" thing made the UFC mainstream. RRR fought in Brazil and she was cheered as if she was a local, she appeared in movies, WWE, tv talk shows etc. Not saying Conor didn't do his part also but Ronda did do a lot in regards to bringing the UFC to the mainstream.

All due respect but you have no idea what his contract contains. It’s not uncommon for a fighter to renegotiate the deal every few fights. The fact that the UFC even allow him to tells me that he probably has some form of clause in his contract that stipulates this. He doesn’t owe them anything. The old owners built him up, and he helped make them $4.2 B. I’m sure the Fertittas are very grateful

John_D80 wrote: »

Are you talking about one single stand alone event???

The formula you’re proposing would get very stale very quickly. It probably would sell out the likes of the 3 arena the first time and maybe even a second time but once the novelty has worn of people will get very tired of it.

Are you gonna have Conor headline every event that this hypothetical promotion puts on?? Besides the fact that it would go stale within 12 months, one injury and the whole promotion folds in on itself.

And having an event like this in Dublin or the UK is a sure fire route to failure.

Im talking about singluar Conor led events in the way Hatton Promotions, Hayemaker, Mayweather, etc started. Primarily vehicles to make the star more money, though those businesses all have evolved since their star charge has eased off.

Conor would sell out Croke and would sell out Wembley/Millennium IMO. He fights 3 or 4 times a year. The copperbox 'sold out' for a press conference due to Conor.

It'd be a Conor vehicle and the undercards are irrelevant really, just put on the more freelance SBG fighters - Ward, Quelly etc to fill them up.

that's just if he run an event in the UK or Eire. His pay would be comparable to what it is now - his star in the UK isn't far from Joshua and thats with making nil effort beyond a couple of pressers.

Joshua makes similar money to McGregor when he fights and the gross revenue to his fights are much smaller.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Depends on who he's fighting.

I can't see the UFC letting their fighters fight him outside the UFC so that's going to affect any stand alone promotion big time.

It would get stale very quickly if he's fighting nobodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Im talking about singluar Conor led events in the way Hatton Promotions, Hayemaker, Mayweather, etc started. Primarily vehicles to make the star more money, though those businesses all have evolved since their star charge has eased off.

Conor would sell out Croke and would sell out Wembley/Millennium IMO. He fights 3 or 4 times a year. The copperbox 'sold out' for a press conference due to Conor.

It'd be a Conor vehicle and the undercards are irrelevant really, just put on the more freelance SBG fighters - Ward, Quelly etc to fill them up.

that's just if he run an event in the UK or Eire. His pay would be comparable to what it is now - his star in the UK isn't far from Joshua and thats with making nil effort beyond a couple of pressers.

Joshua makes similar money to McGregor when he fights and the gross revenue to his fights are much smaller.

You seriously think he could sell out an 80,000 seater stadium in Dublin or the UK 3-4 times a year??

I’m sorry but that’s just not going to happen.

First time out would quite possibly be a resounding success but what little quality that’s there initially would be eroded very quickly and it would lose its appeal when they are trotting out the same product time and again. People wouldn’t be long turning back to the UFC which would still have the best fighters and actual credible (to a point) titles instead of a one trick show pony.

Plus your whole hypothesis hinges on one fighter remaining injury free. McGregor tears an ACL and there’s no event for 18-24 months.

Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

He's loosing fans very quickly. I'm starting to not care if he ever comes back. And I was a big follower of him.

If he hasn't defended his belt by April he should be stripped and walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

He's loosing fans very quickly. I'm starting to not care if he ever comes back. And I was a big follower of him.

He isnt losing fans at all, he's gaining them every single day. Everyone of the people that watched his previous fights, will watch the next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

On this forum or in general? a few dozen or so on an internet getting their knickers in a twist over every little thing and nothing and posting it daily does not a broad spectrum make

sonofenoch wrote: »

On this forum or in general? a few dozen or so on an internet getting their knickers in a twist over every little thing and nothing and posting it daily does not a broad spectrum make

The tides turning a bit. Its twitter and reddit but the lots of the reactions to Conor posts now seem to be 'defend or vacate'

And yeah I think Conor could tour and still sell well at this point. It would get stale soon enough but he could do a stadium show in england, ireland and the US - though not against total scrubs. It would be diminishing returns soon enough but he's a megastar.

Joshua fights Pulev/Takam whomever it sells. His next UK fight could be say Parker who's got very little profile and it'd still sell well.

Its moot as he's tied into his UFC deal etc but I think he could milk it for a while if he wanted.

He is losing fans and supporters.
    But he isn't losing viewers.

He's gone full heel, but the end result is the same for all really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Mellor wrote: »
    Not sure if serious, or subtle trolling.
    Almost got me tbh.

Not trolling at all.

Hid cage fighter career was just to get into UFC, as with pretty much every other MMA fighter on the planet using other promotions etc. :confused:

Honest to god not trolling.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Not trolling at all.

Hid cage fighter career was just to get into UFC, as with pretty much every other MMA fighter on the planet using other promotions etc. :confused:

Honest to god not trolling.
    The "almost" part came across like sayng he should have defended but it's ok because the UFC was the goal.
    He doesn't need to use the UFC as an excuse, he was 100% in the right regardless.

If memory serves, he was booked to fight Jim Alers for the NYE event. But Alers pulled out, and Conor moved up to LW at short notice. Can hardly blame Conor for tha.

I do agree that every fighter is working towards getting into the UFC and if a champ sat out for a bit to get signed, he'd be forgiven. But that's not what happened with with McGregor imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Conor would do well to remember he's a fighter and not a gangster.

I won't say what he's done but you can find it on Twitter if someone wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

any chance of some sort of hint? saying check twitter isn't really useful?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Conor would do well to remember he's a fighter and not a gangster.

I won't say what he's done but you can find it on Twitter if someone wanted.

Can't find anything but people saying about how amazing the film is, quotes from Aldo and comments about fighting Manny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement