Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

UFC has nothing to do with this fight. Dana and Lorenzo did the negotiations but McGregor Sports Entertainment is where the cheque will go with a nice slice going to Zuffa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

Dunno, Dana is being very coy about zuffa boxing. Wouldn't be surprised if that's where the cheque is going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Was wondering if he'd spin up to Glasgow to support Gunni and Charlie but appears he's already gone to Vegas.

Out of interest what are your thoughts on estimated ppv sales after the world tour? Still projecting the same or do you think world tour damaged or improved the potential ppv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Dozyart wrote: »
    I cant wait for everybody who was so broke up about Conors supposed racism to get just as hurt at Floyds actual homophobic comment.....or will it be a sudden case of "ah it's only words" now!!
    People were putting their own spin on what way "boy" was meant...but you cant spin out of someone being called a f****t!!

No, sure Floyd was probably looking up Irish curse words, googled ******, read that it meant lump of turf over here and thought it was fine. Different words have different meanings in different cultures. Isn't that what we were told??

In seriousness, he deserves to be hammered. Can the NSAC fine the fighters for the racist and homophobic slurs? I know they fined McGregor and Diaz for their press conference for throwing stuff. Is there a "bringing the sport into disrepute rule" like in football??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The week leading up to the fight will be what will decide if the ppv records are broken or not. At the end of the day, while all these antics are loved, what people want to see is a real fight. A few well timed videos released showing both hard at training, along with the All Access / Embedded shows, and maybe a high profile chat show appearance (Tonight Show or siimilar) should do it. They'll stoke the fires of what is bound to be an almost Rocky like atmosphere that week of a no hoper (in his first pro boxing bout) getting a shot at trying to beat the greatest boxer of all time. Weigh ins will crucial also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

No, sure Floyd was probably looking up Irish curse words, googled ******, read that it meant lump of turf over here and thought it was fine. Different words have different meanings in different cultures. Isn't that what we were told??

In seriousness, he deserves to be hammered. Can the NSAC fine the fighters for the racist and homophobic slurs? I know they fined McGregor and Diaz for their press conference for throwing stuff. Is there a "bringing the sport into disrepute rule" like in football??

I don't think a State Athletic Commission can fine anybody if what went down didn't actually happen in the state. Could be wrong though.

I know we might not get numbers released but anyone care to take a guess of how many PPV sales this will get in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

The week leading up to the fight will be what will decide if the ppv records are broken or not. At the end of the day, while all these antics are loved, what people want to see is a real fight. A few well timed videos released showing both hard at training, along with the All Access / Embedded shows, and maybe a high profile chat show appearance (Tonight Show or siimilar) should do it. They'll stoke the fires of what is bound to be an almost Rocky like atmosphere that week of a no hoper (in his first pro boxing bout) getting a shot at trying to beat the greatest boxer of all time. Weigh ins will crucial also.

Yeah I agree its the weeks leading up to the fight that matter most . However trying to sell this is a real fight is out the window now . They may aswel sell it for what it is now it will still sell well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭xtal191

I know I know I hate myself for linking a Joe article but surely that £60/€70 ppv fee has to be bull****.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/boxing/mayweather-mcgregor-watch-ireland-uk-130248?utm_content=buffer0ba78&utm_medium=Social+organic&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,593 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know we might not get numbers released but anyone care to take a guess of how many PPV sales this will get in Ireland?
    Will probably be lumped in with UK numbers. Actual Irish PPV numbers in will be low. Maybe 50k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭xtal191

Have all the MacLife videos been deleted from youtube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

xtal191 wrote: »
    Have all the MacLife videos been deleted from youtube?

Appears that way alright!

only this one left on the channel, wonder whats going on there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Did mcgregor also touch mayweather the other night too? I'm sure I seen him push his shoulder into floyds in Brooklyn??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Depp wrote: »
    Appears that way alright!

only this one left on the channel, wonder whats going on there

Maybe because they will be using that footage for his upcoming film?

everlast75 wrote: »
    Maybe because they will be using that footage for his upcoming film?

would make a lot of sense actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Out of interest what are your thoughts on estimated ppv sales after the world tour? Still projecting the same or do you think world tour damaged or improved the potential ppv?

I'm thinking the World Tour improved things.

My estimate was already a huge one - 5.5 million buys - before the Tour but based on the reaction to the Tour, I think closer to 6 million. By reaction I don't mean people thinking whether Conor or Floyd were classy, funny, horrible bastards or who beat who, I just mean the raw numbers. The fact Conor was portrayed as a racist and Floyd a homophobe will ultimately add PPV buys, with different sub-sections tuning in to see the "bigot" they hate most KO'd stiff.

Traffic on videos both on boxing and MMA channels/websites went through the roof. They're big numbers and big predictions but as I've said before, this fight is attracting interest from the general public in ways Mayweather-Pacquiao couldn't.

Remember, there's currently 37.4 million people in America who identify as Irish and most of them are fiercely proud of it. Conor has never shied away from embracing patriotism and he carries the flag into every fight. Add to that there's a further nearly 6 million who identify as Scottish American and Conor has never been shy about harking back to his ancestors on the fields of Scottish battle.

Contrast that to the less than 4 million who identify as Filipino-American.

I still think we underestimate in this country how big a star Conor is on the global stage, probably because most of us still see him as just a lad from Crumlin doing well in MMA.

The only way this goes badly for them is if they get lazy clamping down on piracy, illegal streams and sports bars showing the fight without a license but I expect they will employ a worldwide army of people to clamp down on it like they did in 2015.

TL;DR - Tour a big success in my view.

Lovely little exchange here between Conor and "Big Daddy" Steve Bunce. I know Buncey isn't to everyones taste but I quite like him, anyway he told Conor to his face he thinks he has no chance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

This made me lol a little
    I'd personally rather see him fight Ferguson but honestly even seeing Conor defend a belt against Scrooge McDuck would be acceptable at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It's sad how much of a star Conor is around the world but the only Irish media (non sports only) coverage I've seen of this tour was how much of a racist Conor is. I think Severe MMA was the only Irish media to attend the tour? If so that's disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    It's sad how much of a star Conor is around the world but the only Irish media (non sports only) coverage I've seen of this tour was how much of a racist Conor is.

The Irish media is largely populated with champagne lefties and they are, deep down, repulsed by the working class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    It's sad how much of a star Conor is around the world but the only Irish media (non sports only) coverage I've seen of this tour was how much of a racist Conor is. I think Severe MMA was the only Irish media to attend the tour? If so that's disgraceful.

Depends on what you view as a star...

Being known does not mean being a star..

A star is, or at least should be reserved for stars!

It's the most bandied around misused term..

Conor does not come close to being a star.

Same way many others being labelled stars don't.

walshb wrote: »

Give us your definition of a star and is Floyd Mayweather a star?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Inviere

Whatever about semantics, he's an Irish sporting talent that had made sporting history in his field, and continues to do so (whatever anyone thinks of him personally, those are the cold hard facts). There is 100% a strong whiff of the media here in Ireland being a) against MMA as a whole, and they promote it as a bloodsport for knuckledraggers, and b) against Conor because he doesn't play their game (maybe it's a class thing, hard to say for sure). If this was any other person, in any other sport, they'd be fawning themselves in rabid admiration.

I have to say, like him or loathe him, Ryan Tubridy impressed me on several occasions by defending MMA as a legitimate sport.

Give us your definition of a star and is Floyd Mayweather a star?

Muhammad Ali, Jack Dempsey, Carl Lewis, Ayrton Senna, Babe Ruth...

Elvis, Marlon Brando, Jimmy Stewart..

Michael Jackson, The Beatles...

You always hear it bandied about...

Movie star, Colin Farrell...yeh right..

Conor is a famous UFC fighter. End of..

Dumming down the term star doesn't change that..

You're pretty adept at not answering questions I'll give you that much.

What's your definition of a star? How do you decide that a 54-6-9 boxer in Jack Dempsey was a star? Is Floyd a star now?

Actually just answer the definition part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Aah here, walshb, now you're just using any stick to beat McGregor with.

It's getting a touch old.

Translation; ''I do not like Conor personally, therefore he is not a star.''

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

If McGregor cured cancer Walshb wouldnt be impressed ''not impressed because hes not a doctor''.

Nothing to do with Conor..

It's society today and how easily impressed we are..

Plenty plenty more examples of known people that in
    my estimation are never stars..

Floyd?

Yes. Most definitely if we are going by some of your examples..

Floyd is a career great, ATG in a sport far more established and culturally significant and historically significant and everything else..

Undefeated across 5 weights spanning 20 years..

In comparison to Conor there is simply no comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

In comparison to Conor there is simply no comparison.

Thought you said there was no comparison?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement