Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You're pretty adept at not answering questions I'll give you that much.

What's your definition of a star? How do you decide that a 54-6-9 boxer in Jack Dempsey was a star? Is Floyd a star now?

Actually just answer the definition part.

See, that'S why you just won't get it..

Quoting a boxing record for Jack Dempsey and wondering how he is and was a star.

Stars are generally born, not created. Similar to style and class. It's just there with some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

walshb wrote: »
    Depends on what you view as a star...

Being known does not mean being a star..

A star is, or at least should be reserved for stars!

It's the most bandied around misused term..

Conor does not come close to being a star.

Same way many others being labelled stars don't.
    Muhammad Ali, Jack Dempsey, Carl Lewis, Ayrton Senna, Babe Ruth...

Elvis, Marlon Brando, Jimmy Stewart..

Michael Jackson, The Beatles...

You always hear it bandied about...

Movie star, Colin Farrell...yeh right..

Conor is a famous UFC fighter. End of..

Dumming down the term star doesn't change that..

Dumbest **** i seen a while

everlast75 wrote: »
    Thought you said there was no comparison?

Exactly. There is none..well spotted. I had a feeling someone would spot it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Nothing to do with Conor..

It's society today and how easily impressed we are..

Plenty plenty more examples of known people that in
    my estimation are never stars..

Floyd?

Yes. Most definitely if we are going by some of your examples..

Floyd is a career great, ATG in a sport far more established and culturally significant and historically significant and everything else..

Undefeated across 5 weights spanning 20 years..

In comparison to Conor there is simply no comparison.

Do you ever answer the question you are asked?

You keep saying Conor is not a star but I've asked twice now for your personal definition of a star, so I can see why he doesn't fit into it.

You're now focusing on Floyd's in-ring achievements yet you also cited Jack Dempsey as a star who had a record that included 6 losses and 9 draws.

What's your definition of a star then?

Dumbest **** i seen a while

At least your detailed rebuttal cleared it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Quoting a boxing record for Jack Dempsey and wondering how he is and was a stars

Stars are generally born, not created. Similar to style and class. It's just there with some people.

What? You *literally* 2 mins ago cited Floyd's 49-0 record as a reason he is a star and now you're telling me Jack Dempsey's record has nothing to do with him being a star...

I'm enjoying the mental gymnastics you're performing to try rule out Conor being a star but I still want to hear you say a *definition*.

At least your detailed rebuttal cleared it up.

Good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Quoting a boxing record for Jack Dempsey and wondering how he is and was a star.

So when they were babies they were stars. Ok.

Do you ever answer the question you are asked?

You keep saying Conor is not a star but I've asked twice now for your personal definition of a star, so I can see why he doesn't fit into it.

You're now focusing on Floyd's in-ring achievements yet you also cited Jack Dempsey as a star who had a record that included 6 losses and 9 draws.

What's your definition of a star then?

An icon, legend, those who will live on long after death. Culturally huge. Popular huge, and a few other definitions.

Anyway, pointless explaining to you. You will never understand.

I have never bandied around the term. So before sulking this nothing against Conor.

So when they were babies they were stars. Ok.

Destined to be. Yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Utter nonsense, and an insult to all those you listed as stars, as well as Conor.

Each one of them worked hard to be the best in their relevant professions.

What? You *literally* 2 mins ago cited Floyd's 49-0 record as a reason he is a star and now you're telling me Jack Dempsey's record has nothing to do with him being a star...

I'm enjoying the mental gymnastics you're performing to try rule out Conor being a star but I still want to hear you say a *definition*.

Yes, I quoted his record. It's part of his legacy.

Key word, part!

Same way Dempsey's record is part of his. Not all.

You really do jump in without thinking.

Utter nonsense, and an insult to all those you listed as stars, as well as Conor.

Each one of them worked hard to be the best in their relevant professions.

What are you on about?

Stars for me are rare..

They are not just anyone who does well and is famous.

I look for a lot more..

Get over yourself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Yes, I quoted his record. It's part of his legacy.

Key word, part!

Same way Dempsey's record is part of his. Not all.

You really do jump in without thinking.

have you explained why conor is not a star or what your personal definition is yet though? or do you have one? be interesting to hear this one now

An icon, legend, those who will live on long after death. Culturally huge. Popular huge, and a few other definitions.

Anyway, pointless explaining to you. You will never understand.

I have never bandied around the term. So before sulking this nothing against Conor.

star
    stɑː/Submit
    noun
    noun: star; plural noun: stars; noun: fixed star; plural noun: fixed stars; noun: wandering star; plural noun: wandering stars

a very famous or talented entertainer or sports player.
    "a sport star"
    synonyms: principal, leading lady, leading man, lead, female lead, male lead, hero, heroine More
    antonyms: extra, nobody
    an outstandingly successful person or thing in a group.
    "he's a rising star in the party"vstar

Famous. Check.
    Talented. Check.
    Sports player. Check

Depp wrote: »
    have you explained why conor is not a star or your personal definition is yet though? or do you have one? be interesting to hear this one now

Conor to date has not come close to what I label star.

Not sure why that is difficult to understand for some, or why it seems to offend some..

What's with the sensitivity here?

I could list so many others that are being called stars that I find bewildering.

walshb half of the people you list of stars have many connections to all types of mad **** and yet are still stars.

Conor has murals on walls in Dublin maybe beyond, has been the face of the UFC, Ireland been featured in big video games. Fighting Mayweather with all this coverage and debate. Everyone knows who he is..... and he backs **** up again and again..... he is a star

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Not sure why that is difficult to understand for some, or why it seems to offend some..

I could list so many others that are being called stars that I find bewildering.

No problem.

List anyone that has achieved as much in sport, broken so many records, has such notoriety, is so recognisable, has the likes of Arnie and Stallone calling into his training camps at such a young age that is not a star.

Go for it... I'm waiting

star
    stɑː/Submit
    noun
    noun: star; plural noun: stars; noun: fixed star; plural noun: fixed stars; noun: wandering star; plural noun: wandering stars

a very famous or talented entertainer or sports player.
    "a sport star"
    synonyms: principal, leading lady, leading man, lead, female lead, male lead, hero, heroine More
    antonyms: extra, nobody
    an outstandingly successful person or thing in a group.
    "he's a rising star in the party"vstar

Famous. Check.
    Talented. Check.
    Sports player. Check

Good for you. Out comes the dictionary..

There's a little more depth to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Had tens of thousands of people chanting. The 'star' Mayweather only had boos and awkward silent responses for his calls to the crowd. (I know he doesn't care).

McGregor is a star. A phenom. He will be remembered in 50 years time as someone who left their mark, ala Jordan, Senna, Ali. I know you dislike him but I am saying this objectively without bias.

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    No problem.

List anyone that has achieved as much in sport, broken so many records, has such notoriety, is so recognisable, has the likes of Arnie and Stallone calling into his training camps at such a young age that is not a star.

Go for it... I'm waiting

Like I said. Being known, well known, even hugely known is not what it's all about..

Star to you? Fine..

No beef from me..

I don't see it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Like I said. Being known, well known, even hugely known is not what it's all about..

Star to you? Fine..

No beef from me..

I don't see it..

What's your definition of a star?

JoseJones wrote: »
    What's your definition of a star?

Read back...

Good for you. Out comes the dictionary..

There's a little more depth to me.

As much depth as a muddy puddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

So if Floyds in ring records are only a part of why he is a star, then what's the rest made up of?

Maybe his recent homophobic comment? Or his penchant for hitting women? Tell us what Floyd has done outside of the ring to merit his 'star' status.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Star to you? Fine..

No beef from me..

I don't see it..

Fine and you are correct what you define star is yours to choose and fair play to you.

Posting in one of the biggest threads n the entire site gain and again about how he is not star to you sounds like bollox to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Read back...

Not seeing it, can you quote the post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,891 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Conor Mcgregor has it all worked out.
    Work hard at the MMA get in good shape
    Play the internet create hype - he is up there with the like's of woman's 'celebrity' hype like the Kardashians, Lady Gaga and Madonna!

Fight a novelty fight get all sorts of eejits interested - win or lose it will increase his market value.

Make piles of money and retire.

I never really understood the power of the amount that the sh*te talk could have.
    It is up there with the WWF type stuff. But that is what draws people in and makes the money.

McGregor will be giving talks on marketing in universities for years to come. He will be the case study on how to create hype and money from nothing.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

If you owned my dictionary today and looked up living Sports star...you would see Usain Bolt.. that's what a star is..they just are

In a sense if people need to be spoon fed what a star really is then you know you just can't win..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Conor Mcgregor has it all worked out.
    Work hard at the MMA get in good shape
    Play the internet create hype - he is up there with the like's of woman's 'celebrity' hype like the Kardashians, Lady Gaga and Madonna!

Fight a novelty fight get all sorts of eejits interested - win or lose it will increase his market value.

Make piles of money and re-tire.

I never really understood the power of the amount that the sh*te talk could have.
    It is up there with the WWF type stuff. But that is what draws people in and makes the money.

McGregor will be giving talks on marketing in universities for years to come. He will be the case study on how to create hype and money from nothing.

Most of that is true but he'd be a massive mma star from his incage achievements even if he never said a word at a presser or online, his fight skill is his base for it all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement