Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fine and you are correct what you define star is yours to choose and fair play to you.

Posting in one of the biggest threads n the entire site gain and again about how he is not star to you sounds like bollox to me.

And because of this taking it personally, like I have done you an injustice, is why these discussions are always doomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Well when you say people are born stars, it kind of takes away any argument you might have.

Stars aren't born, they become that way through choices and hard work. Not because their parents got pissed on some night out and ****ed on the beach.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

walshb wrote: »
    And because if this taking it personally, like I have done you an injustice, is why these discussions are always doomed.

no-ones offended, just getting annoyed at you constantly posting like a moron

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

If you owned my dictionary today and looked up living Sports star...you would see Usain Bolt.. that's what a star is..they just are

In a sense if people need to be spoon fed what a star really is then you know you just can't win..

Nobody can make you change your idea's but Bolt runs fast for 100metres, and its only once ever 4 years people care about him for a minute till another 4 years.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Nobody can make you change your idea's but Bolt runs fast for 100metres, and its only once ever 4 years people care about him for a minute till another 4 years.

And still a star. And always will be. Your post is actually what I see as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

If you owned my dictionary today and looked up living Sports star...you would see Usain Bolt.. that's what a star is..they just are

In a sense if people need to be spoon fed what a star really is then you know you just can't win..

That's the biggest load of nonsense I've ever read.

Depp wrote: »
    no-ones offended, just getting annoyed at you constantly posting like a moron

Well, seems you may have been offended judging by your need to get personal with the 'moron' jibe...

Keep it clean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

And by the way the only reason the boxing fight thread for mayweather is lightin up is cause he is fighting conor. Connors MMA thread will keep going like Dental Plan.

Everyone is interested because of Conor......psh Not a star to a purist sport of knocking each other in the face repeatably like boxing.

I honestly think most boxing media promoters are pathetic ****ing weirdos like fifa and wont come around to anything new cause change is bad for there pockets

That's the biggest load of nonsense I've ever read.

What part? Surely not the Bolt being a star..

Come on. You can't leave an empty post like yours just hang there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Well, seems you may have been offended judging by your need to get personal with the 'moron' jibe...

Keep it clean...

He didnt call you a moron. He said you were posting like one.
    There is a difference.

• Advertisement

If you're saying that Bolt is a bigger star than McGregor or Mayweather, then you need to lie down for an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I...

I...

C'mere, did you meet Usain Bolt at the last Olympics?

I assume you were there, what with you being just ****ing deadly at gymnastics.

If you're saying that Bolt is a bigger star than McGregor or Mayweather, then you need to lie down for an hour.

Usain Bolt is a global iconic sports star and figure. Has been for 10 or so years..

He is a star...

His compatriots are just that. He is head and shoulders above all others in his field..

Like I said, no need to spoonfeec on Bolt..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

Logical fallacy here. Burden of proof lies with you. You say that Conor does not meet the criteria of 'star'. (No comment here on whether he does or not). People ask what those criteria are, while giving their own, but you refuse to lay them out.

If you can't point to why he is not a star, just like other posters point to why he is, your argument holds no water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Usain Bolt is a global iconic sports star and figure. Has been for 10 or so years..

He is a star...

His compatriots are just that. He is head and shoulders above all others in his field..

Then why does McGregor have more Twitter followers than him when he's been famous for about 7 or 8 years less than Bolt? You're talking absolute scutter and instead of throwing your hands up and admitting that, you're doubling down and humiliating yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Mayweathers last fight on here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057485217

only 11 pages of discussion so by my new metric hes not a star theres 11 pages posted on Conor every hour on here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

An icon, legend, those who will live on long after death. Culturally huge. Popular huge, and a few other definitions.

Anyway, pointless explaining to you. You will never understand.

I have never bandied around the term. So before sulking this nothing against Conor.

Culturally Huge

When Conor did his Vince McMahon inspired "Billy Strut", for the ensuing weeks we saw famous athletes in all sports doing it. Paul Pogba in football, Odell Beckham Jr. in NFL, Marc Gasol in the NBA.

LeBron James, unarguably the most famous basketball player of the last decade, posted a tribute to Conor on Instagram in 2016 when he posted Conor's "I am not talented, I am obsessed" speech.

Conor can count among his biggest supporters - LeBron, Cristiano Ronaldo, Drake, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber - regardless of your opinion on their respective singing/sporting ability, they are among the most famous people on the Earth today and have all posted multiple times on their social media in support of Conor.

Some of his phrases have transcended culture and are synonymous with him, not least:

"We're not here to take part, we are here to take over".

Pretty sure that covers his cultural transcendence.

Popularity:

Conor is amongst the top 200 people on the entire planet when it comes to social media reach. That's not my opinion, that's his factual level of fame and popularity. Instagram touching 15 million, Twitter 5 million, Facebook likewise. I've said it before and I'll say it again - there's only 3 sports people on the planet growing in social media faster than Conor and they are Ronaldo, Messi and James Rodriguez.

He holds 2 of the top 5 most retweeted sports tweets ever. His "thanks for the cheese" tweet is 5th and his Floyd fight announcement is 2nd only to Leicester City's "Champions" tweet.

Cultural Icon:

He is the first man from the Republic of Ireland since Eamonn Coghlan in 1979 to appear on the front cover of Sports Illustrated. First Irish athlete to grace the cover of the ESPN Body edition. First Irish athlete to play a character in a Call of Duty game, one of the most transcendent games ever made. He has been on the cover of Men's Health and GQ.

He has appeared on Conan and Jimmy Kimmel, 2 of the the biggest talkshows in America. He is on the cover of a best-selling UFC game. Huge publications like GQ and Highsnobiety have named him the best-dressed athlete on the planet (http://www.highsnobiety.com/2017/07/12/conor-mcgregor-best-dressed-athlete/).

Sporting Accomplishments:

First Irish man to claim 2 MMA world titles - Cage Warriors.
    First Irish man to claim UFC gold.
    First man in UFC history to simultaneously hold titles in 2 weight classes.
    Highest gate in UFC history and the 4th highest gate in combat sports all-time - $17.7m UFC 205. Soon to hold the number 1 highest gate in both boxing and MMA history.
    Holds 4 of the top 5 PPV's in UFC history.

Look, a star is a subjective opinion.

But by every single metric Conor McGregor is a star, in fact he's on the verge of superstar status, if he isn't already there.

That might not sit well with you because in your head he's probably some knacker from Crumlin who fights in a caveman sport.....

But he's a bona fide star.

Anyway, pointless explaining it to you. You'll never understand.

He is a star...

Usain Bolt will be a guest on a Question of Sport. That is all he will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'm done arguing about what walshb thinks qualifies someone to be a star compared to the rest of the world.

Anyhoo... How long before a fight do we get our poll.

1) FM by KO/TKO
    2) FM by points
    3) FM by disqualification
    4) CMcG by KO/TKO
    5) CMcG by points
    6) CMcG by disqualification
    7) fight does not go ahead

In today's ridiculously shallow and fickle and attention craving world Conor and many others are stars..

One Direction
    Kim Kardashian
    Colin Farrell
    Perez Hilton
    Paris Hilton
    James Corden
    Brendan O'Carroll
    Stars of Love Island, X factor, BGtT

and so on and so on...

Chill out. Not an attack on you or Conor..

I remain steadfast in what I label stars. You disagree? Fine..no bother.

• Advertisement

And for the record, I enjoy plenty One Direction tracks..

But they will never be stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Good night Irene, wonderlife in with another knockout blow.

And for the record, I enjoy plenty One Direction tracks..

Case dismissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

What is it with mcgregor threads an lads coming in and making a show of themselves?

Depp wrote: »
    What is it with mcgregor threads an lads coming in and making a show of themselves?

Usually because when some posters aren't putting Conor's gonads in their mouths it tends to upset some fans and hardcore fans..

Not everything we post has to be of the ass licking variety..

When folks get this it generally leads to more intelligent and friendly debate.

Me? I prefer balance, and not all my posts will be praise or gushing praise, but I do have posts that could be views as quite Conor positive..

Main thing is that we should be able to post freely and sincerely without over sensitivity..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I do love your posts Wonder.

Fyi lads knocking Bolts stardom isn't the way to go. Bolt is absolutely a star...as is Conor.

Usain Bolt will be a guest on a Question of Sport. That is all he will be.

You're a gas man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I love when Wonder comes in with his logical, well-plotted posts and smashes the ball outta the park. Whooole different ball game :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Conor Mcgregor has it all worked out. Work hard at the MMA get in good shape Play the internet create hype - he is up there with the like's of woman's 'celebrity' hype like the Kardashians, Lady Gaga and Madonna!

I never really understood the power of the amount that the sh*te talk could have. It is up there with the WWF type stuff. But that is what draws people in and makes the money.

walshb wrote:

walshb wrote:

There are 4 elements to being a true star in sports.

1. You have to be one of if not the very best in the world at want you do.

2. You have to work your bollox off to get to the top and maintain your position.

3. You have to have personality, charisma and attitude. You have to be able to draw people in, to sell yourself
    There are great athletes who really aren't stars, because of lack of personality, Guys like Tim Duncan in Basketball or Demitrus Johnson in MMA.

4. You have to win. You can have all the talent in the world, supreme work ethic and great personality but I you don't back it up, nobody will respect you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Lads why do ye keep feeding him? He's always talking nonsense, nothing new, let him at it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement