Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 im6foot4

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Can Leonard Ellerbe stop smiling?

F*ck sake :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Jaysus, the sound on stage was horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Thank god it's over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor to land 100 punches over 12 rounds?! Are you serious? If so, are you counting punches to arms and blocked punches in that?!

Yeah 100% serious.

Well the Berto Compubox numbers were:

Thrown/Landed

Floyd: 410/232
    Berto: 495/83

If it goes the full 12 rounds I think Conor will be about 430/110.

I think he will be more accurate than Berto, primarily because he'll be a lot calmer than Berto under the big stage. That was by far Berto's biggest stage he had ever fought on, Conor has fought in huge events. Also I think Conor will land more earlier due to a whole variety of reasons (stance, distance, aggression).

Compubox do not count the little tip-tap punches in the clinch that land on arms etc, but they do count punches thrown with force that land on arms or bounce through the guard.

So yeah I'm thinking he'll land over 100. Just, like, an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yeah 100% serious.

Well the Berto Compubox numbers were:

Thrown/Landed

Floyd: 410/232
    Berto: 495/83

If it goes the full 12 rounds I think Conor will be about 430/110.

I think he will be more accurate than Berto, primarily because he'll be a lot calmer than Berto under the big stage. That was by far Berto's biggest stage he had ever fought on, Conor has fought in huge events. Also I think Conor will land more earlier due to a whole variety of reasons (stance, distance, aggression).

Compubox do not count the little tip-tap punches in the clinch that land on arms etc, but they do count punches thrown with force that land on arms or bounce through the guard.

So yeah I'm thinking he'll land over 100. Just, like, an opinion.

Ok, I thought you were claiming he would land 100 "clean" punches. Phew!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

So you'd be very surprised then to hear the odds of 13/8 on offer for Mayweather to win in under 8.5 rounds?

You're saying there's a 0% chance of Conor winning or lasting so 13/8 is a bet of a lifetime when someone has 0% chance...

It's a great bet. 8.5 Round is over 25 minutes, No way he has the legs for that, Never mind talking the punishment of boxings most accurate and skilled counter puncher.

Ok, I thought you were claiming he would land 100 "clean" punches. Phew!

Ha, no. Everyone knows you can't land many clean power shots on Floyd's chin but Conor obviously believes he only needs to land a couple of them to get him out of there.

He said in an interview after London he believes he will finish Floyd with an uppercut and/or left hook.

Steve Bunce take on the fight on his radio show:

"Mayweather will do whatever he wants with him - and to him - but Floyd loves himself and he loves showing off so I expect he will make a point of stretching it out the full 12 rounds".

Basically his argument is Mayweather could KO Conor in the 1st Round if he truly wanted to but for him "showing off" isn't in knocking his opponent unconscious it's in getting maximum air-time to flaunt his skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,891 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There are 4 elements to being a true star in sports.

1. You have to be one of if not the very best in the world at want you do.

2. You have to work your bollox off to get to the top and maintain your position.

3. You have to have personality, charisma and attitude. You have to be able to draw people in, to sell yourself
    There are great athletes who really aren't stars, because of lack of personality, Guys like Tim Duncan in Basketball or Demitrus Johnson in MMA.

4. You have to win. You can have all the talent in the world, supreme work ethic and great personality but I you don't back it up, nobody will respect you.

Good post.
    But I think he would not be nearly as successful if the did not create the hype.
    He is fantastic at it.
    He knows his market. He reminds me of Jose Mourinho in the soccer.
    Great at his job but a master of bullsh*t as well.

Mcgregor now has auld wans on Joe Duffy talking about him he will propably make an appearance on Mrs Brown's Boys next! ;)

McGregor is a good athlete but a fantastic self promoter he has got every one around the world talking about him.
    Even though MMA is a minority sport. It is some achievement!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Ha, no. Everyone knows you can't land many clean power shots on Floyd's chin but Conor obviously believes he only needs to land a couple of them to get him out of there.

He said in an interview after London he believes he will finish Floyd with an uppercut and/or left hook.

I think this is where you may be misunderstanding the likes of Max Kellerman saying things like he won't land a single punch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hands down the best moment of the tour:

Sr's hangover the next morning must have been something else! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Pity they didn't bring him along the rest of the tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Pity they didn't bring him along the rest of the tour.

Some say he's still in Vegas, shouting at Irish fellas on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Jaysus lads I don't know about ye but having watched all of the four press conferences and all the interviews afterwards, I feel like I need to go about six months before I can watch anything mcgregor related again. It's been so nonstop and intense. Not sure did they intend for these press conferences to have that kind of effect on people!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Steve Bunce take on the fight on his radio show:

"Mayweather will do whatever he wants with him - and to him - but Floyd loves himself and he loves showing off so I expect he will make a point of stretching it out the full 12 rounds".

Basically his argument is Mayweather could KO Conor in the 1st Round if he truly wanted to but for him "showing off" isn't in knocking his opponent unconscious it's in getting maximum air-time to flaunt his skills.

I would agree with Bunce for the most part, not the 1st round as I think McGregor has a great chin and enough skills to last a few minutes, but I do think if Mayweather really went for the kill 5 rounds is the most McGregor could hope for.

However I'm leaning more towards a decision on the basis Mayweather hasn't gone for the kill for a while now, and a finish doesn't have any more upside for him than a points win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

dulux99 wrote:
    Jaysus lads I don't know about ye but having watched all of the four press conferences and all the interviews afterwards, I feel like I need to go about six months before I can watch anything mcgregor related again. It's been so nonstop and intense. Not sure did they intend for these press conferences to have that kind of effect on people!

I felt the same after the Aldo tour. I just don't think these multi city, multi day tours do it for me. Only so much sh*t talk you can tolerate. And this one especially I found very forced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,891 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I felt the same after the Aldo tour. I just don't think these multi city, multi day tours do it for me. Only so much sh*t talk you can tolerate. And this one especially I found very forced.

It's always forced, there is just more of it!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

And the devolution of humanity continues....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm not sure Mayweather needs to go for the kill so much as just wait till Conor gets tired and let nature take its course, he won't need to up his abysmal offensive output too much to get a stoppage with a sustained burst after McGregor has blown himself out.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I'm not sure Mayweather needs to go for the kill so much as just wait till Conor gets tired and let nature take its course, he won't need to up his abysmal offensive output too much to get a stoppage with a sustained burst after McGregor has blown himself out.

Out of interest, how are you so certain Conor will gas out?

Obviously he gassed against Nate Diaz both fights at 170lbs, doing much better the second time around.

But at 145lbs and 155lbs do we have any evidence he has a cardio problem?

He looked fresh as a daisy after 15 minutes with Holloway and I didn't see any noticeable warning signs against Eddie after 8 minutes.

I'm just throwing it out there we don't have any concrete evidence he gasses at the lower weights.

George Lockhart went on record this week saying Conor will be weighing 159lbs on fight night, that they're specifically keeping him within 5lbs of the limit to perform at his best. Whether that is the truth or misdirection I don't know.

But I do know we've never seen Conor gas at the lower weights and he's been doing a boat load of cardio work this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,100 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

One of my mates contacted me and said Conor is on Sky News giving a press conference and apologising??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

everlast75 wrote: »
    One of my mates contacted me and said Conor is on Sky News giving a press conference and apologising??

To absolutely fookin nobody. The champ champ does what he wants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

George Lockhart went on record this week saying Conor will be weighing 159lbs on fight night, that they're specifically keeping him within 5lbs of the limit to perform at his best. Whether that is the truth or misdirection I don't know........

That's interesting. With him not having fought at 145 in ages I was expecting that he would have built himself up more, do a big cut pre-fight to get down to 155, and then go into the ring with 10 pounds more muscle than Mayweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Noticed Snr seemed to have been pulled after the first presser, wasn't even on the stage for the next 3 ........taking too much of the limelight away from junior ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

One thing I'm very interested in is when he spars against the best boxers he has. By that time it will be clear to his team (and him) what exactly is going to go down. Unless he definitively gives these guys trouble, Kavanagh and Roddy will know before the fight that its going to be an absolute ****show. But during that time the build up will continue and Conor and the boys will be talking it up and people will be spending their hard earned cash. I wonder will there be a feeling of remorse if it is going badly and they are lying about sparring etc.

Just a thought, a lot of people will say 'we already know its going to be a ****show and anyone who doesn't is a fool' but I still think the team will be in a wierd position having to flat out lie about things. Just going by the conventional wisdom, that is how it will play out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Have they announced yet how you can watch this? I'm assuming it will be Sky Box Office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

One thing I'm very interested in is when he spars against the best boxers he has. By that time it will be clear to his team (and him) what exactly is going to go down. Unless he definitively gives these guys trouble, Kavanagh and Roddy will know before the fight that its going to be an absolute ****show. But during that time the build up will continue and Conor and the boys will be talking it up and people will be spending their hard earned cash. I wonder will there be a feeling of remorse if it is going badly and they are lying about sparring etc.

Just a thought, a lot of people will say 'we already know its going to be a ****show and anyone who doesn't is a fool' but I still think the team will be in a wierd position having to flat out lie about things. Just going by the conventional wisdom, that is how it will play out.

The team are just as driven as Conor, I think they'll be looking to win this and won't be put off by stuff like this. I think that's where the pro refs will come in, Conor is more than likely going to try and disrupt mayweather by bending as many rules as possible and hoping to get him to over extend at some point. He knows he won't win in a straight up stand and trade, he'll miss one or two and be in deep water if he does. I expect a load of clinching and head clashes and throws, I expect Conor to build rapport with the ref too, and let mayweather get frustrated with the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Funny you bring that up, it came into my head this morning that i remember Kavanagh talking about how Floyd is his favourite (or one of them) fighter to watch and study on twitter about 2 years ago. So does that give Conor an edge having someone who knows every single move, or does it as you suggest, make him think that this is beyond one step too far after seeing what Conor is like in sparring?

I remember another clip of Conor on youtube in or around the Pacquiao fight talking about how masterful Floyd is and that he believes he cannot be beaten in boxing, that it wasnt the sport he could be beat in.

Edit: Link to tweet https://twitter.com/john_kavanagh/status/594825057865703424

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is crazy! Guy makes his own passes and follows May weather crew into the arena. Ends up backstage walking out with Conor and staying ringside the whole time. Someone is getting fired over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    This is crazy! Guy makes his own passes and follows May weather crew into the arena. Ends up backstage walking out with Conor and staying ringside the whole time. Someone is getting fired over this.

This actually happens far more often than we'd think. Couple of guys did it at the Super Bowl back in February too by printing off media credentials.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement