Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Absolute state of the Irish people in that video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

walshb wrote: »
    There's no proving right or wrong here..

I don't think he is a star...

End of..

Separate note, anyone hear that 70 euro the price for PPV here..

Your a gas man Walshy. You've already redefined sport to your own agenda, now you're having a go at star.
    Your scale for stardom is odd. I've no issue with not using it for reality TV knobs. But trying to argue that one of the most famous sports figures (right now) is a tough sell imo.

Personally I'd say the Beatles, Michael Jackson, Dempsey, Ali, George Best etc are Legends, not just stars.
    One Direction, Canelo, Ronalo are stars, but not a legends.
    McGregor is a star on the same scale as the above. But not a legend like the previous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    This is crazy! Guy makes his own passes and follows May weather crew into the arena. Ends up backstage walking out with Conor and staying ringside the whole time. Someone is getting fired over this.

If you're seeing this john please show it to conor, need an answer to that question! ballsy performance by yer man though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

jimmynokia wrote: »

That's some cringey sh1t right there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Dozyart wrote: »
    That's some cringey sh1t right there!!

Its some twitter sjw nobody looking for attention, dont give it to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Dana calls Floyd a racist.... in 2012.

I actually seen that sushi video (had forgotten about it) and in it Floyd says he's gonna chop Paq up and eat him with some dogs and cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mellor wrote: »
    Your a gas man Walshy. You've already redefined sport to your own agenda, now you're having a go at star.
    Your scale for stardom is odd. I've no issue with not using it for reality TV knobs. But trying to argue that one of the most famous sports figures (right now) is a tough sell imo.

Personally I'd say the Beatles, Michael Jackson, Dempsey, Ali, George Best etc are Legends, not just stars.
    One Direction, Canelo, Ronalo are stars, but not a legends.
    McGregor is a star on the same scale as the above. But not a legend like the previous.

Fair points..

I suppose the best way to describe my view would be Andy Murray.

A favourite of mine. Cheer him over anyone else.

Well known, globally known, excellent at his sport, world successful at his sport.

For me he is not a star. Just a tennis player who is famous and successful..

Stars to me are much rarer..

It's a mix of several things, as well as having that something..

Of course, subjective and personal to many..

Conor a star to many. No issue there..

Seems going by old videos like this from late 2012 (just before the Buchinger fight) that boxing was still something McGregor used in training..... just punching bag work for the cameras perhaps but interesting nonetheless.

Mad how quiet and focused he seems here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

One thing I'm very interested in is when he spars against the best boxers he has. By that time it will be clear to his team (and him) what exactly is going to go down. Unless he definitively gives these guys trouble, Kavanagh and Roddy will know before the fight that its going to be an absolute ****show. But during that time the build up will continue and Conor and the boys will be talking it up and people will be spending their hard earned cash. I wonder will there be a feeling of remorse if it is going badly and they are lying about sparring etc.

Just a thought, a lot of people will say 'we already know its going to be a ****show and anyone who doesn't is a fool' but I still think the team will be in a wierd position having to flat out lie about things. Just going by the conventional wisdom, that is how it will play out.

Was just reading earlier some boxer saying he was already knocked out in sparring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Fair points..

I suppose the best way to describe my view would be Andy Murray.

A favourite of mine. Cheer him over anyone else.

Well known, globally known, excellent at his sport, world successful at his sport.

For me he is not a star. Just a tennis player who is famous and successful..

Stars to me are much rarer..

It's a mix of several things, as well as having that something..

Of course, subjective and personal to many..

Conor a star to many. No issue there..

I see you just admitted he was a star here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104101598&postcount=2756

So you were/are on a wind up.

I see you just admitted he was a star here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104101598&postcount=2756

So you were/are on a wind up.

The irony and fun completely lost on you..

Tell me you're not that blunt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

One thing I'm very interested in is when he spars against the best boxers he has. By that time it will be clear to his team (and him) what exactly is going to go down. Unless he definitively gives these guys trouble, Kavanagh and Roddy will know before the fight that its going to be an absolute ****show. But during that time the build up will continue and Conor and the boys will be talking it up and people will be spending their hard earned cash. I wonder will there be a feeling of remorse if it is going badly and they are lying about sparring etc.

Just a thought, a lot of people will say 'we already know its going to be a ****show and anyone who doesn't is a fool' but I still think the team will be in a wierd position having to flat out lie about things. Just going by the conventional wisdom, that is how it will play out.

You realize sparring performance doesn't mean everything, mayweather gets beat by his sparring partners all the time and alot of them are nobodies. It only counts on fight night. Some people perform better under pressure, others crumble.

spix wrote: »
    You realize sparring performance doesn't mean everything, mayweather gets beat by his sparring partners all the time and alot of them are nobodies. It only counts on fight night. Some people perform better under pressure, others crumble.

Little different hearing about a great boxer having an off day or so against fellow pros compared to a non pro boxer having off days against pro boxers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Was just reading earlier some boxer saying he was already knocked out in sparring.

Is a training camp ko not grounds to call it off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

empacher wrote: »
    Is a training camp ko not grounds to call it off?

I don't think even a training camp decapitation would be enough to call this money spinner off tbh.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I don't think even a training camp decapitation would be enough to call this money spinner off tbh.

Absolutely..

The fact that it even got the go ahead to begin with shows this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

McGregor was KO'd in training? Who said that? I'd find that hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Absolutely..

The fact that it even got the go ahead to begin with shows this.

I'm not against the fight in the least bit personally though (I'm guessing you are, is that fair to say?), looking forward to it actually. I'm just saying that there's nothing that'll get this fight called off at this point, even if they both have to fight in wheelchairs. There's too much investment gone into it.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I'm not against the fight in the least bit personally though (I'm guessing you are, is that fair to say?), looking forward to it actually. I'm just saying that there's nothing that'll get this fight called off at this point, even if they both have to fight in wheelchairs. There's too much investment gone into it.

No. Not against it. Just my opinion. I will buy the event if it is not too expensive.

My views on exactly what it is are known..

I would not sign it off if I was in charge. My reasons for that are known. The main reason being to protect Conor.

As a normal Joe, I will watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

No. Not against it. Just my opinion. I will buy the event if it is not too expensive.

My views on exactly what it is are known..

I would not sign it off if I was in charge. My reasons for that are known. The main reason being to protect Conor.

As a normal Joe, I will watch it.

You're so against it since the rumours started and your contemplating supporting it financially? mind boggling, vote with your feet your enabling these types of fights by buying it.

Gamebred wrote: »
    You're so against it since the rumours started and your contemplating supporting it financially? mind boggling, vote with your feet your enabling these types of fights by buying it.

I'm not with you..what rumours?

You can call it out for what it is without being "against" it.

I am quite looking forward to August26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

spix wrote: »

Yes in some cases, but im talking if he consistently cant get the better of sparring partners who are half way decent. Of course sparring isn't the same as fight night, but neither guy will crumble under pressure. You think Conor can afford to get outclassed in sparring regularly and then just up his game on fight night?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I'm not with you..what rumours?

You can call it out for what it is without being "against" it.

I am quite looking forward to August26.

You have no right to be against the fight being made if you financially back it, I admire your honesty in admitting your buying it but you cant buy it and on the other hand say it shouldnt be allowed happen.

Gamebred wrote: »
    You have no right to be against the fight being made if you financially back it, I admire your honesty in admitting your buying it but you cant buy it and on the other hand say it shouldnt be allowed happen.

You can do what you want..

I simply made one point that from a safety point of view I would not sign off on a career pro boxer fighting a non pro boxer..

That's really my only objection/view.

It's not tennis or darts or snooker..

I'm just an ordinary boxing fan. I don't get to make the decision to allow or disallow a non pro boxer step in the ring with a pro boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

"
    And apparently, one of those sessions resulted in the 29-year-old being knocked unconscious, according to former WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas.

We don't know how reliable Vargas' sources are but he's adamant that McGregor was knocked out in sparring as he played down his chances of getting the best of Mayweather in August.

"He got knocked out in sparring already, man!" Vargas told VillainfyMedia.

"The boxing world is small, it's a small circle"

Vargas is a reliable source. McGregor got knocked out in sparring...wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

"
    And apparently, one of those sessions resulted in the 29-year-old being knocked unconscious, according to former WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas.

We don't know how reliable Vargas' sources are but he's adamant that McGregor was knocked out in sparring as he played down his chances of getting the best of Mayweather in August.

"He got knocked out in sparring already, man!" Vargas told VillainfyMedia.

"The boxing world is small, it's a small circle"

Vargas is a reliable source. McGregor got knocked out in sparring...wtf

No he absolutely is not.

The ballsyest thing Mayweather did the whole tour was wear those damn platforms.

I guess he felt it was worth it given that he'd be closer to eye level during the face off.

But man they're shocking looking things altogether :p

mmh3.jpg

mmh2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

John_D80 wrote: »
    No he absolutely is not.

Yes he is.

McGregor chin is done. He got sparked in the Eddie Alvarez training camp foo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Is that you Sr.? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement