Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Gunni Nelson got put away with a light jab. Are they sparring like maniacs at SBG or what?

Good bait, you will catch a few no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

Gamebred wrote: »
    Good bait, you will catch a few no doubt.

Santiago said it himself in the post fight interview get it was a light jab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

walshb wrote:
    JMM... blown up FW

walshb wrote:
    Mosley? WW clearly past his best days.

walshb wrote:
    Manny? Blown up FW..

walshb wrote:
    Berto and Guerrero? Who are these two? Throw in Ortiz too..

walshb wrote:
    Oscar..like Mosley he had seen better days, and Mayweather squeaked past him

walshb wrote:
    Hatton? FFS....

walshb wrote:
    You threw out a lot of names there...doesn't get me thinking the GOAT!

Wow!

Seriously, Sugar Ray Leonard's resume ****s all over that.

But do you honnestly think he could beat Mayweather in a 12 round fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 J0E_90

spix wrote: »

Mistake in that article there claiming Tiedt is the only Irish pro ref.

With the Boxing Union of Ireland there is also David Irvine, while Vinnie Feeney is currently a trainee.

Then up North there's John Lowey, Paul McCullagh, Hugh Russell Jr, and Eamonn Magill as a trainee.

• Advertisement

I've seen it all now... two boxing fans (who tend to lower the quality of discussion on this thread) arguing about the greatest boxer of all time in the MMA forum. *cough*

Don't group me in with this idiot. That's out of order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Don't group me in with this idiot. That's out of order.

Good for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ol' Tony on the MMA hour tomorrow :pac:

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/886715958718496769

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Boxer? Leonard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ol' Tony on the MMA hour tomorrow :pac:

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/886715958718496769

That's hilarious. Is that the first non MMA guy he has ever had on?

Have to say this, I would love if McGregor catches Mayweather with a lucky shot and wins. It wont happen, but fuK it would be so dam good to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

JJayoo wrote: »
    In regards to Conor's sparing partners there's a danger that the Rousey effect might happen, in which good boxers will be brought in to spar but do they really want to ' beat up' the star? The guy whose favor could seriously boost your profile.

Rousey was on Rogan's podcast with Edmund discussing the fight with Bethe Correia, and Ronda was praising Edmund and how he predicted the early KO. Edmund simply replied that he knew it would happen because in sparing Ronda was beating good boxers and had KOed a few.

Unknown female boxers were getting in the ring with the superstar and were they feck gonna spar hard with her or beat her up. So they were going in and letting Ronda 'Win' then collecting their cash and the profile bump off rubbing shoulders with the sports biggest superstar.
    Paulie has said in sparring he expects conor to come at him hard but likewise he would go at conor hard cos that is what conor would want o get the best out of him.  Sparing partners, i would have thought, you want to be as close to the real thing, but not sure how you manage that as you don't want to knock out the actual fighter.

link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQCZCynuFgw

Just listening to it again, be interested to see if they bring him in as it may have been more of a media play.
    I find it interesting that Paul is saying they want to bring him in before anything is confirmed. Announcng it before it is confirmed I would be tempted not to bring him in.Will see I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Log cabin, beers, no TV or BT subscription, Have WiFi laptop and a large LED, Options?

Is there a legitimate streaming service that you pay for to stream to the laptop ?

I seen the UFC fights have a PPV streaming service on their site I'm not sure how Showtime's streaming works multiple platforms what's the best option? There is a free trial but obviously that would not include PPV events can you even pay to view PPV online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Good to see Conor training in the UFC Performance Institute. It's like a space station with all the state-of-the-art stuff they have in there so I can definitely see them taking full advantage of the facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Good to see Conor training in the UFC Performance Institute. It's like a space station with all the state-of-the-art stuff they have in there so I can definitely see them taking full advantage of the facilities.

Yup Dana mentioned this a while ago that he was going there after the press tour.
    Can only help his cardio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Yup Dana mentioned this a while ago that he was going there after the press tour.
    Can only help his cardio!

McGregor FAST system surely has that sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,100 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

So, with the apparent consensus being that FM will win, what type of win would constitute a loss... if you get me.

Does the boxing fraternity expect 12 rounds of embarrassing the young pup from Dublin, or would they expect a T/KO? Would they expect FM to walk out unscathed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

everlast75 wrote: »
    So, with the apparent consensus being that FM will win, what type of win would constitute a loss... if you get me.

Does the boxing fraternity expect 12 rounds of embarrassing the young pup from Dublin, or would they expect a T/KO? Would they expect FM to walk out unscathed?

It's up to Floyd what he wants to do . He can jab for 12 rounds if he wanted to . Barring an self inflicted injury he will come out of it unscathed no matter what way he goes about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

everlast75 wrote: »

Conor can "win" this several ways....

If Floyd fights Conor like Conor is some seasoned pro then Conor wins. As in ducking and diving and kind of stinking the joint out whilst just staying a step ahead....

If Floyd actually fights offensively hard and is barely a step ahead then Conor "wins."

In other words if this is in any way competitive, relatively speaking, Conor wins in my book.

Conor loses if he gets badly beaten early. Badly beaten mid rds, badly beaten/embarrassed for 12 rds (but only if Mayweather deliberately decides to carry him and punish him)

If Floyd is badly beating him and cannot take him out then Conor "wins." Though I'd expect a corner/referee stoppage if the beating is bad.

A dance for 12 rds with Floyd just staying a step ahead and Conor "wins."

No matter what Floyd doesn't win this fight. Because for me it is not a fight. He is still 49-0. I will not add this "win" to his ledger.

Edit: Before anyone jumps in. I have Conor "wins" in inverted commas.....

I guess I have set the bar very high for Floyd. Floyd is the spoofer here. Not Conor.

Prediction if Floyd fights to stamp his authority?

3-4 rds max and completely unscathed. Conor beaten up clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    McGregor FAST system surely has that sorted

Shinobi vlog was doing a mcgregor FAST series where they chose some folks to do it for free, the videos kind of petered out after a while...

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Shinobi vlog was doing a mcgregor FAST series where they chose some folks to do it for free, the videos kind of petered out after a while...

4 weeks of it there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

4 weeks of it there

Exactly and it's a 12-week high performance training program.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Exactly and it's a 12-week high performance training program.

Oh yeah, sorry I meant there is only 4 eps. Not that the whole program was there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

walshb wrote: »
    Conor can "win" this several ways....

If Floyd fights Conor like Conor is some seasoned pro then Conor wins. As in ducking and diving and kind of stinking the joint out whilst just staying a step ahead....

If Floyd actually fights offensively hard and is barely a step ahead then Conor "wins."

In other words if this is in any way competitive, relatively speaking, Conor wins in my book.

Conor loses if he gets badly beaten early. Badly beaten mid rds, badly beaten/embarrassed for 12 rds (but only if Mayweather deliberately decides to carry him and punish him)

If Floyd is badly beating him and cannot take him out then Conor "wins." Though I'd expect a corner/referee stoppage if the beating is bad.

A dance for 12 rds with Floyd just staying a step ahead and Conor "wins."

No matter what Floyd doesn't win this fight. Because for me it is not a fight. He is still 49-0. I will not add this "win" to his ledger.

Edit: Before anyone jumps in. I have Conor "wins" in inverted commas.....

I guess I have set the bar very high for Floyd. Floyd is the spoofer here. Not Conor.

So if Floyd wins the fight by whatever means, Conor still has a multitude of ways to "win" (in your book) just by taking a potential beating or evading Floyd.

How can you say that Floyd is a spoofer when Conor barked about this fight and is the one with no boxing background to speak of? Incredible.

Gintonious wrote: »
    So if Floyd wins the fight by whatever means, Conor still has a multitude of ways to "win" (in your book) just by taking a potential beating or evading Floyd.

How can you say that Floyd is a spoofer when Conor barked about this fight and is the one with no boxing background to speak of? Incredible.

Floyd is a spoofer....

Pro boxer career great entertaining this and trying to legitimize it as some sort of real fight....He damn well is a spoofer....

Simple: If Floyd in any way struggles, relatively speaking then he's a loser....

Conor has 0 to lose here....

I never said Conor "wins" for taking a beating. Read the detail in what I said.

Floyd is a spoofer....

Pro boxer career great entertaining this and trying to legitimize it as some sort of real fight....He damn well is a spoofer....

Simple: If Floyd in any way struggles, relatively speaking then he's a loser....

Conor has 0 to lose here....

I never said Conor "wins" for taking a beating. Read the detail in what I said.

If its sanctioned then it is a fight, simple as.
    If Floyd fights Conor like Conor is some seasoned pro then Conor wins

I don't understand this at all. You wouldn't accept Floyd taking a professional approach to this because thats somehow a "win" for Conor, baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Mayweather would need a pysch evaluation if he said no to the fight

Gintonious wrote: »

I don't understand this at all. You wouldn't accept Floyd taking a professional approach to this because thats somehow a "win" for Conor, baffling.

Again, you aren't reading the mores specifics of my points....

I said: "If Floyd fights Conor like Conor is some seasoned pro then Conor wins. As in ducking and diving and kind of stinking the joint out whilst just staying a step ahead...."

In other words him being overly cautious and negative and spoiling, and at times, fouling and holding like he does a fair bit....

Floyd should be able to stand right in front of Conor and beat him up should Conor want a tear up...

There should be clear distance between them in terms of class and scoring. If not, Floyd loses....

Mayweather would need a pysch evaluation if he said no to the fight

What does he stand to make from this? $200-$250 Mill? He wouldn't be living up to the "Money" Mayweather persona well if he turned this down.

• Advertisement

Again, you aren't reading the mores specifics of my points....

I said: "If Floyd fights Conor like Conor is some seasoned pro then Conor wins. As in ducking and diving and kind of stinking the joint out whilst just staying a step ahead...."

In other words him being overly cautious and negative and spoiling, and at times, fouling and holding like he does a fair bit....

Floyd should be able to stand right in front of Conor and beat him up should Conor want a tear up...

To be honest you want Floyd to fight a fight that he doesn't fight.

Being overly cautious is how he has the record he has, and the scalps that came with that.

He probably could well stand in front of him and dice him up, but if he chooses not to or sees reason not to, I fail to see that as a bad thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement