Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What I said was in the eyes of the general public, Floyd is the best combat fighter near Conor's weight class. Staying put in his weight class wouldn't prove anything to the general public who have barely heard of MMA let alone follow it.

And as Floyd said to Larry, the general public don't know sh1t about boxing...

In case the general public don't realize, Floyd is almost two years retired now, is 40 years of age and is not near the most dangerous 147-154 lber out there. He may be up there as regards trickiness, but he's a baby compared to some of the others as regards venom and brutality.

I prefer to live in the now....Floyd is a retired old wily veteran boxer.

But of course, will still have more than enough to beat a non pro boxer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

walshb wrote: »
    Crazy that you still are swallowing this "belief" from Conor....

He hopes/prays. He does not know or believe, and the garbage stage scripted pressers should have been the nail in the coffin.

Watch this Walshb from 5:01 til the end. 50 seconds worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Your post would be right if I said any of what you think I said. I didn't.

What I said was in the eyes of the general public, Floyd is the best combat fighter near Conor's weight class. Staying put in his weight class wouldn't prove anything to the general public who have barely heard of MMA let alone follow it.

They don't know who Garry Tonon, Gordon Ryan, Saenchai, Jordan Burroughs, Aaron Pico are either. They've never heard of BJJ or Muay-Thai or freestyle wrestling. They don't know and don't care that Conor would be destroyed if he faced any of them in their discipline (he would be mauled!).

The general public barely even know boxing. Ask a 55-year-old who isn't interested in sports to name 2 elite combat fighters and they'll say Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson. They won't say GGG or Errol Spence Jr and they certainly won't say Khabib and Demian Maia.

Beating Floyd Mayweather in a boxing ring with all the hooplah surrounding it... in 20 years from now ask the same people and there's a fair chance they'll say "Tyson and that Irish kid McGregor".

This fight is not about that for combat fans but combat fans make up a microscopic fraction of the general public. In their eyes, this is MMA v Boxing. This is McGregor v Mayweather. This is to see who is the best fighter on the planet.

If you are referring to MMA fans then that may be true, if you are referring to boxing fans (who are combat sports fans) the vast majority do not see it as picturesque as you put it. You've been in the boxing forum, you've seen the reaction there, this is about money, plain and simple.

Trying to put the spin on it as you have is admirable, but it seriously falls short of the majority of what MMA fighters and boxers have said. For MMA fans its along the lines of "Fair play to conor, he is getting in there and getting his money".

Boxing doesn't need this fight, you referenced yourself above that if a 55 year old was asked about to name 2 elite combat fighters and they'll say Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson, 2 boxers. And past 12 months have had plenty of great fights along with GGG vs Canelo on the horizon.

This is, and always will be, about money.

He went after Alvarez because he could get the 2 belts and leverage that for more money from the UFC in the future, and he used it to leverage them to let him fight Mayweather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Why can't it be both, lads? He's after glory and gold. The Mayweather fight offers the prospect of both.

If he was only interested in money and nothing else then why would he have pushed so hard for the "first ever two division UFC champion" fights? It's clearly not just about the money, Conor is easily just as interested - if not more interested - in the glory and reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

As with most professional sports people, it's equally about both money and glory. You don't see many footballers go to the US or China during there peak years, even though they could easily triple there earnings. They want to win champions league's and ****. I'm sure Floyd wants the 50-0 badly too. If it were just for money he wouldn't have to train or anything. Just turn up and win or lose,collect a cheque.

Elite Pro sports stars don't think like us fools. They want leagacys to live on as long as possible.

• Advertisement

As with most professional sports people, it's equally about both money and glory. You don't see many footballers go to the US or China during there peak years, even though they could easily triple there earnings. They want to win champions league's and ****. I'm sure Floyd wants the 50-0 badly too. If it were just for money he wouldn't have to train or anything. Just turn up and win or lose,collect a cheque.

Elite Pro sports stars don't think like us fools. They want leagacys to live on as long as possible.

Exactly. Gareth Bale could have waltzed into any Chinese side on double or triple his Real Madrid wages but he went to Madrid to win titles, Champions League etc.

By the looks of Conor's camp, he's spending anywhere from $500,000 to $1,000,000 on it. He's paying for an entourage of what, 15 people, for 6 weeks in Vegas, paid 4 sparring partners wages, flights and hotels back in Dublin, is flying in, paying wages and putting up another 6-8 sparring partners... Dana said all tickets, even for him, have to be paid for as well...

If he didn't believe he can win, or just wanted the money, he'd skip all that, stay home in Dublin chilling and turn up for fight week.

I've said it many times now, all it takes is Floyd to break his hand or Conor to pull his ACL and the fight is off indefinitely and he's left spending all that money for nothing.

He's obviously going into this believing he will win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Floyd breaks his hand hes still fighting (and winning)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

Gintonious wrote: »
    If you are referring to MMA fans then that may be true, if you are referring to boxing fans (who are combat sports fans) the vast majority do not see it as picturesque as you put it. You've been in the boxing forum, you've seen the reaction there, this is about money, plain and simple.

Trying to put the spin on it as you have is admirable, but it seriously falls short of the majority of what MMA fighters and boxers have said. For MMA fans its along the lines of "Fair play to conor, he is getting in there and getting his money".

Boxing doesn't need this fight, you referenced yourself above that if a 55 year old was asked about to name 2 elite combat fighters and they'll say Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson, 2 boxers. And past 12 months have had plenty of great fights along with GGG vs Canelo on the horizon.

This is, and always will be, about money.

He went after Alvarez because he could get the 2 belts and leverage that for more money from the UFC in the future, and he used it to leverage them to let him fight Mayweather.

Of course its about money. What do you go to work for every day yourself? If you had the possibility of making multiples of your annual salary for half an hours work one evening would you turn it down?

People seem to forget that for professional fighters, fighting is a job. Some fans like to romanticize the whole thing and act like its a higher calling or something. These people are overly invested. At the end of the day, for professional fighters the novelty has worn off long ago and their main goal is, just like 99% of the working population, to get paid as much as possible for doing a good days work at something they like doing. Nothing wrong with that.

Gamebred wrote:
    Floyd breaks his hand hes still fighting (and winning)

The most disappointing thing about this whole fight for me is that you dropped your fanboy image and turned heel 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

What does Denis Siver have to do with boxing?

He is not fighting Floyd Mayweather, at 40 years of age, to prove he is the greatest combat fighter on the planet.

It is naive to not acknowledge this is for the money, his MMA fights are a separate issue and it is foolish to the point of willful ignorance to suggest I was conflating the two.

....he is going to quadruple his net worth in one event. It doesn't sound like his net is anything close to $34m if that is true?

If he was offered $100 million to fight CM Punk in the Octagon and $100 million to fight Floyd in boxing which do you think he picks?

Why did he go straight after Rafael Dos Anjos instead of defending against Frankie Edgar? RDA, at the time, was a wrecking machine and universally acknowledged to be a better fighter than Frankie.

The bigger fight, financially, was 100% defending the belt against Frankie because Frankie has one of the biggest fanbases in MMA and it would have sold more on PPV and more at the gate than taking on some random Brazilian only hardcore MMA fans knew about, who was looking unstoppable.

Why did he go after Eddie Alvarez instead of a Nate trilogy? Every man and their dog could tell you the bigger fight financially was Nate 3, yet Conor went after the 2nd belt against a wrestler he's supposed to be crap against.

What you're willfully ignoring is that regardless of money, Conor has time-after-time chased the biggest athletic/sporting challenge available to him. Facing off against Floyd Mayweather in a boxing ring, the chance to pull off a Rocky-style upset and shock the world, that's the biggest challenge available to him and he took it.

The fact you keep harping back to money shows you've no idea what motivates Conor. People keep saying "it's the money" but time and again he has chosen fights that would be less financially beneficial in order to chase *bigger achievements*.

As for your edit, Forbes have Conor's net worth at €29 million and his 2016 earnings at $34 million before tax. If the Conor v Floyd PPV sells over 5 million, then Conor will make the €120 million.
    Gintonious wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more.

This whole "best combat fighter" in the world crap does my head in. He isn't out to prove that, if he was then he would stay put in MMA.

Conor going to boxing to prove he is the best combat athlete? So he will go and compete in K1 next? Or a wrestling championship? Or Jiu Jitsu comp? Or Judo? Or Tae-kwon-do?

No, he won't. He wants his money pal, thats number 1 on the list.

Your post would be right if I said any of what you think I said. I didn't.

They don't know who Garry Tonon, Gordon Ryan, Saenchai, Jordan Burroughs, Aaron Pico are either. They've never heard of BJJ or Muay-Thai or freestyle wrestling. They don't know and don't care that Conor would be destroyed if he faced any of them in their discipline (he would be mauled!).

The general public barely even know boxing. Ask a 55-year-old who isn't interested in sports to name 2 elite combat fighters and they'll say Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson. They won't say GGG or Errol Spence Jr and they certainly won't say Khabib and Demian Maia.

Beating Floyd Mayweather in a boxing ring with all the hooplah surrounding it... in 20 years from now ask the same people and there's a fair chance they'll say "Tyson and that Irish kid McGregor".

This fight is not about that for combat fans but combat fans make up a microscopic fraction of the general public. In their eyes, this is MMA v Boxing. This is McGregor v Mayweather. This is to see who is the best fighter on the planet.

Gibberish. Conor going for a second belt would have sold just as much as an Edgar fight.

Its Conor that sells, not the opponent in MMA. Edgar, RDA, Alvarez would all sell similar levels. Diaz has a good fanbase but its not like it adds serious money onto his paycheck.

And this is not being chosen as a challenge to be the greatest. He's even said himself, it's an oppurtunity to quadruple his net worth in one night.

• Advertisement

Paulie Malignaggi told Ariel he's flying out to Vegas on Wednesday to spar with Conor.

As wonder said, why is he spending hundreds of thousands of euros in the preperation for this fight if money is all he thinks about ,he would just turn up hungover get slapped around and collect a cheque either way.

It annoys me that millions of people's only knowledge of Conor is his fights and press conferences. Watch all the back stage interviews and scrums, ones with Andrew McGahon ,his first MMA hour interview . He has insane self belief,I've never heard someone as confident as him. Confidence is 90% of everything in life, from a good job interview , to chattin up a Bird, to preparing for world championship fighting. He has mastered the law of attraction. He beilves 100% he wins this and his name and his son's name become immortal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Good to see Conor training in the UFC Performance Institute. It's like a space station with all the state-of-the-art stuff they have in there so I can definitely see them taking full advantage of the facilities.

The only thing Conor can do is work on his endurance/stamina. He's not going to be able to match Floyd for boxing skill. He might as well stay away from Floyd and go some round. Trying to attack Floyd is a suiside mission. It's like being strangled by a Boa Constrictor, The more you struggle, the fastest he kills you.
    everlast75 wrote:
    Does the boxing fraternity expect 12 rounds of embarrassing the young pup from Dublin, or would they expect a T/KO? Would they expect FM to walk out unscathed?

I think boxing fans expect to see a KO/TKO from Floyd. Anything less will likely be seen as a disappointment. This is Boxing Vs MMA on the boxing stage. A statement has to be made

everlast75 wrote:
    If Conor can draw him out and make him slightly reckless then I think an opportunity may present itself.

Mayweather is too disciplined, too careful to be drawn into an exchange, He won't need to, his openings to land clean and move to safety will be more than enough for him to stop Conor in the early rounds. I don't believe Conor has the ability to hit him at all.
    walshb wrote:
    Maybe he won't give a fook, but for fans his type of victory may well be important. For me I would diss him if he cannot do this in utter style/domination.

Since when did Floyd give a fook what the fans think of his ways of winning fights? I believe he will win and win early. This won't be a 12 round fight. Conor doesn't have the stamina or boxing ability to go anywhere near the distance with Mayweather.

jcd5971 wrote:
    I also think there is 0% chance of Floyd going out to destroy him,

I believe Floyd will take it as it comes. The aim will not be do destroy but when he sees he is getting the time to see shots coming, counter and step away, He may decide to unload on Conor and finish him with a barrage of punches.

And Conor, obviously reading this thread, calls his followers fools about 2 minutes after I posted same. A statue waiting to happen.

If Conor can land punches on Floyd, whether they be useful or not, anyone think his best KO chance could be a surprise-sneaky hard and clean body shot? I don't care who you are, a clean connect to certain parts of the body can end a man's fight.

Of course, easier said than done, and I am sure Floyd can counter these surprises. But maybe he should think twice should he maybe decide to play with Conor during parts of the fight. Allowing Conor unload on him as he defends-covers up could see a sneaky shot get through.

walshb wrote:
    If Conor can land punches on Floyd, whether they be useful or not, anyone think his best KO chance could be a surprise-sneaky hard and clean body shot? I don't care who you are, a clean connect to certain parts of the body can end a man's fight.

walshb wrote:
    Of course, easier said than done, and I am sure Floyd can counter these surprises. But maybe he should think twice should he maybe decide to play with Conor during parts of the fight. Allowing Conor unload on him as he defends-covers up could see a sneaky shot get through.

Left uppercut is the only way Conor finishes this fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

For anyone that missed it:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Mc Gregor might get a shock when he spars with Malignaggi, he'll still likely be a big step up from anybody he's sparred with, the fact Paulie blamed everybody but himself(usually judges) for his losses took away from the fact he was a very good fighter, not top drawer but not far off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Mc Gregor might get a shock when he spars with Malignaggi, he'll still likely be a big step up from anybody he's sparred with, the fact Paulie blamed everybody but himself(usually judges) for his losses took away from the fact he was a very good fighter, not top drawer but not far off it.

I think Pauline would beat McGregor even now

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

Should McGregor even be sparring considering what has happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Should McGregor even be sparring considering what has happened?

1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

I think he just wants a bang with Paulie after the **** he was talking? Paulie won't and can't replicate anything near Floyd's style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The thing to remember is that Floyd is a defensive boxer, so what happens if Conor also fights in a defensive manner? We have seen him back off against Diaz, some people called it running but in reality it was his fight IQ kicking in. After an initial burst will Mayweather chase him down if Conor backs off?

I just came here to ask that. Everyone saying Floyd has met with, and disposed of, bigger, pressure fighters. Conor fights as a patient, counter puncher mostly. Has Floyd every fought someone who stays calm and picks his shots?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

JJayoo wrote: »
    The thing to remember is that Floyd is a defensive boxer, so what happens if Conor also fights in a defensive manner? We have seen him back off against Diaz, some people called it running but in reality it was his fight IQ kicking in. After an initial burst will Mayweather chase him down if Conor backs off?

What we get is a very boring fight. And that's exactly what I see happening. Mayweather won't chase him down at all, and will be a happy to land a handful of strikes to win each round. This has been his style for his last number of fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

I think Pauline would beat McGregor even now

Of course he would, he's not long retired as a top level boxer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Mayweather was wearing heels every press conference. They were all disguised ones except new york

Look at the shape of that shoe in toronto...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

spix wrote: »
    Mayweather was wearing heels every press conference. They were all disguised ones except new york

Look at the shape of that shoe in toronto...

Smacks of insecurity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

In the late 70's / eary 80's it didn't matter if you were short as it was cool for men to wear women's heels :P

BonoKickUpHeels_zpsbf54818a.jpg

• Advertisement

Has Floyd every fought someone who stays calm and picks his shots?

No. To date in his pro career he has never fought what you describe, or what others may describe as a non boxer.

Canelo is calm and picks his shots..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement