Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Does anyone know if there will be a Web purchase option? Don't have a sky box and would rather not rely on a stream not being nuked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

I just came here to ask that. Everyone saying Floyd has met with, and disposed of, bigger, pressure fighters. Conor fights as a patient, counter puncher mostly. Has Floyd every fought someone who stays calm and picks his shots?

It really doesn't matter. Conor just doesn't have anyway near the boxing skills of Floyd. As soon as Conor tries a shot he'll be countered with Floyds go to quick left hook, straight right combination. If he is still on his feat it's survival mode to the end of the round, and he may not get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

I just came here to ask that. Everyone saying Floyd has met with, and disposed of, bigger, pressure fighters. Conor fights as a patient, counter puncher mostly. Has Floyd every fought someone who stays calm and picks his shots?

That would be the worst style possible against Mayweather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

That would be the worst style possible against Mayweather

How do you know if none of his opponents fought like that? Surly it would make sense not to fight the way 47 other opponents did. Let Floyd be the one coming forward and try counter him? Floyd is human guys, he can be hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

How do you know if none of his opponents fought like that? Surly it would make sense not to fight the way 47 other opponents did. Let Floyd be the one coming forward and try counter him? Floyd is human guys, he can be hit.

His skills are so high you are giving time to pick his shots you would just turn into a punchbag. I can see the point you are making as in why not try fight but i just think it would be worse for him .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd would probably pot shot McGregor to bits if Conor decided to be patient and countering.

Unless Floyd has really regressed then Conor is going to find out what real striking speed and range is all about...

Conor, if he decides to be patient and not all that attacking will also need to be be out of range and moving. In range waiting and he gets taken apart by Floyd's speed.

That jab, lead left hook, straight right and a mix of them all could see Conor badly busted up.

Conor is no dummy. He has feet and he has an IQ, and he can defend himself. He needs to defend himself as best he can.

Good guard, decent range and movement should see him somewhat "safe."

If Floyd really decides to go to town, and that means seeking out Conor and walking him down then I think Floyd can do this. It's up to Conor to make that job as difficult as possible for Floyd, and maybe sneak in a counter KO shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Conor needs to invite Andre Berto into the camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

cloudatlas wrote: »

He'd be well advised to do that for sure.

Maybe not for sparring, but at least in some advisory role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Gintonious wrote: »
    He'd be well advised to do that for sure.

Maybe not for sparring, but at least in some advisory role.

At the moment Pauli and Bradley are joining him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Inviere

Is there a blueprint for beating Floyd that Conor could use as a basis? I know he's unbeaten, but are there boxers who have had significant success against Floyd in certain rounds, and if so, what was their approach?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Berto was already in Conor's corner for the L.A. Presser, you can see that from Roddy's instagram.

Conor and Berto did their rehab together after Conor's big ACL tear against Max and became great pals. I suppose it's natural to get to know someone better when you're sitting on a physio's table every day beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

I had thought Floyd would use his movement to have Conor chase him and Floyd stick him with counters but after watching Floyd V Guerrero I'm not so sure.

Floyd took the centre of the ring and put on an absolute masterclass against the taller, rangier southpaw. Guerrero couldn't stop Floyd landing his right hand all night, no jabs or setups, just the straight right down the pipe. It was a massacre and puts a nail in the claims that all Floyd does is run.

I would be surprised if Floyd didn't do the same against Conor, going in to the corner and against the ropes will give Conor a glimmer of hope of roughing him and landing something. If Floyd takes the centre of the ring again it makes Conor's job a good deal more difficult. Conor won't be a carbon copy of Guerrero of course but it's hard not to be discouraged after watching that demolition job.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭meepins

Inviere wrote: »
    Is there a blueprint for beating Floyd that Conor could use as a basis? I know he's unbeaten, but are there boxers who have had significant success against Floyd in certain rounds, and if so, what was their approach?

If you search on youtube "how to beat mayweather" you'll get some videos. I'm not into boxing so I can't really say if they're any use.
    One fighter who managed to rough him up a little was Maidana

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/20075350/floyd-mayweather-my-legacy-already-set

Entertaining article on Mayweather, a quote from it:
    "My legacy is already set. This move I made right here it's unbelievable. They will talk about this business move at Harvard."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

It will play out a dull points victory for Floyd, both men agree to nothing more than a sparring session together as the moneys already made. No way can I see either bothering their arse at all in this fight.

It will play out a dull points victory for Floyd, both men agree to nothing more than a sparring session together as the moneys already made. No way can I see either bothering their arse at all in this fight.

tenor.gif

In think anybody who was beaten by Floyd...deep down they're not going to want Conor to win. It would diminish their own loss.

I just don't think their heart would be in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Floyd would accept a loss now for the sake of another few hundred million payday in a rematch no doubt, he cares about money not legacy.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Floyd would accept a loss now for the sake of another few hundred million payday in a rematch no doubt, he cares about money not legacy.

I think he sees them as equal, the whole reason why he gets the money he gets is because he is unbeaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Gintonious wrote: »
    tenor.gif

HUH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Money means a whole lot to him, but his unbeaten record is what defines him. He adores it. And he "fights" as if losing it would kill him. He'd accept a loss in the sense that he can't change it or go back in time, but it would crush him.

It's probably the one thing I am more certain about to do with this fight. That Floyd will not be fighting/staging to lose, if somehow there was shenanigans happening. No amount of money would see Floyd agree to a loss, least not to a novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

I'm wondering if many people think or are worried that McGregor will suffer a career ending and/or possible life threatening beating?

Logic dictates that Floyd will land a lot of shots (body and head) if he's really up for a fight. It would be amazing to see McGregor get a fluke knock out but more realistically he's going to take a lot of punishment. There just has to be a world of difference in their boxing ability and anyone thinking otherwise is fooling themselves - in my opinion.

McGregor is cocky enough to think he has a chance but he could be in for a serious reality check. Hoping for him it doesn't end with him being stretchered off but it really could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No way can I see either bothering their arse at all in this fight.

Right, so Conor flew in a full-time nutritionist George Lockhart and sparring partner Dashon Johnson from America, Louis Adolphe from the UK, paid for a full-time ref for 2 weeks, flying in Paulie Malignaggi and a whole host of boxers, is working his arse off in the UFC Performance Institute...

For someone not bothering his arse he's spending a fortune on his camp.

How much do you think it costs to fly in Dashon Johnson for the bones of a month? The hotel itself would be $4,000, the flights another $3,000, his wages probably $15,000, that's on top of another few grand in lawyers fees drawing up and executing contracts and NDA's.

You think Paulie Malignaggi is going to Vegas for 4 days this week and then flying back to NY and back to Vegas again for the good of his health or do you think there's anywhere up to 6-figures enticing him?

The narrative that Conor doesn't give a fook is ridiculous with the amount he's spending on this camp.

He has filed 6 trademarks for 50-0 and already has a line of merchandise in production with 50-0.

He stands to make tens of millions off the 50-0 trademarks and can easily fight GGG in the future if he's stuck for a couple of hundred million.

You've lost the run of things if you think he'd happily take 49-1 to secure a rematch with a novice boxer.

Espinoza specifically said there's no rematch clause. Why? Because Floyd only gives a sh1t about 50-0 and feels there's not a hope Conor beats him so it would embarrass himself to put in a rematch clause.

Crazy stuff being posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Yeah, win, lose or draw, McGregor is going to come out of this sore.

HUH?

Post 1124...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Inviere

noc1980 wrote: »
    Floyd V Guerrero

Just watched the full fight of that, masterclass is an understatement. I'd really LOVE Conor to somehow win this, for several reasons, but it just doesn't seem realistic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

tumblr_ml9iw8Kgxn1r83l0ao1_400.gif

This machine couldnt land a single clean punch on Floyd (dont care if he was too young) and people are backing Conor at 4/1 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

tumblr_ml9iw8Kgxn1r83l0ao1_400.gif

This machine couldnt land a single clean punch on Floyd (dont care if he was too young) and people are backing Conor at 4/1 :D

Maybe he should get some feet under him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

No way can I see either bothering their arse at all in this fight.

Right, so Conor flew in a full-time nutritionist George Lockhart and sparring partner Dashon Johnson from America, Louis Adolphe from the UK, paid for a full-time ref for 2 weeks, flying in Paulie Malignaggi and a whole host of boxers, is working his arse off in the UFC Performance Institute...

For someone not bothering his arse he's spending a fortune on his camp.

How much do you think it costs to fly in Dashon Johnson for the bones of a month? The hotel itself would be $4,000, the flights another $3,000, his wages probably $15,000, that's on top of another few grand in lawyers fees drawing up and executing contracts and NDA's.

You think Paulie Malignaggi is going to Vegas for 4 days this week and then flying back to NY and back to Vegas again for the good of his health or do you think there's anywhere up to 6-figures enticing him?

The narrative that Conor doesn't give a fook is ridiculous with the amount he's spending on this camp.

He has filed 6 trademarks for 50-0 and already has a line of merchandise in production with 50-0.

He stands to make tens of millions off the 50-0 trademarks and can easily fight GGG in the future if he's stuck for a couple of hundred million.

You've lost the run of things if you think he'd happily take 49-1 to secure a rematch with a novice boxer.

Espinoza specifically said there's no rematch clause. Why? Because Floyd only gives a sh1t about 50-0 and feels there's not a hope Conor beats him so it would embarrass himself to put in a rematch clause.

Crazy stuff being posted.
    Paulie is getting nowhere near a 6 figure payday for a few weeks sparring. 

And 50-0 as a trademark is not worth 'tens of millions' - thats like the rubbish that people spout about Michael Buffer being worth $200m based him holding the 'ready to rumble' trademark - who's paying for these trademarks to accumulate these amounts. 
    They'll get the odd rights fee and sell the odd bit of merch with it on. Not mega money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

The money mcgregor is spending is a pittance to what he stands to gain from this. Even if it was a glorified spar like people seem to think (i dont) mcgregor would still have a long road to be able to try and match mayweather to make it look believable.

With the ref mcgregor brought in, if he is planning to do some uncommon things, is he able to clarify the ref of the actual fight would allow it? As in, could it be technically legal but the ref of the fight on the night doesnt let it happen?

For the life of me i dont know what exploit he thinks he can come up with that no boxer has tried before. Q

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement