Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Paulie is getting nowhere near a 6 figure payday for a few weeks sparring. 

And 50-0 as a trademark is not worth 'tens of millions' - thats like the rubbish that people spout about Michael Buffer being worth $200m based him holding the 'ready to rumble' trademark - who's paying for these trademarks to accumulate these amounts. 
    They'll get the odd rights fee and sell the odd bit of merch with it on. Not mega money.

Right well you should be writing a strongly worded letter to Forbes because they put his 2014 merchandise income from "TMT" at $15 million for the year.

He has trademarks on "TMT 50" and "TBE 50" too.

So yeah unless Forbes are clueless, then those trademarks will be worth a fortune to him.

"TBE 49-1" doesn't have the same ring to it...

In fact, losing to Conor will hurt his existing TBE income. Hard to call yourself "The Best Ever" if you get flattened by an 0-0 boxer.

The money mcgregor is spending is a pittance to what he stands to gain from this. Even if it was a glorified spar like people seem to think (i dont) mcgregor would still have a long road to be able to try and match mayweather to make it look believable.

For the life of me i dont know what exploit he thinks he can come up with that no boxer has tried before. Q

You're right. Spending $1 million on a camp for a fight you stand to make $75 - $100 million before tax, is a drop in the bucket.

But if you're not taking it seriously, why spend it?

I don't understand why people are pushing these conspiracy theories, smacks to me of people getting their excuses in early in case Conor lands a bomb on his chin.

As for the rest, try hit him on his chin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

You're right. Spending $1 million on a camp for a fight you stand to make $75 - $100 million before tax, is a drop in the bucket.

I don't understand why people are pushing these conspiracy theories, smacks to me of people getting their excuses in early in case Conor lands a bomb on his chin.

Well if he doesnt look like hes taking it serious who would buy it. And spending one to make 100 is worth the one even if he wasnt serious.

Anyway i believe it is 100% serious so no conspiracy theory here. ( i do wonder if mayweather is easily on top will he go easy on mcgregor or absolutely embarrass him. Like you i hope mcgregor lands one clean shot to see how his power transfers)

i would say mcgregor is all out to try win this thing. Money no object to try make it happen

Hit him on the chin? I could have advised that for half a mil saved him half.

What i meant was they seem to think they have cracked some secret to boxing someone hasnt tried. And im wondering can he clarify any stuff he wants to try with he ref on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Didn't see this posted yet, but as suspected by most, Conor getting knocked out in sparring confirmed as nonsense.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshkatzowitz/2017/07/18/conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-knockout-rumors/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

The money mcgregor is spending is a pittance to what he stands to gain from this. Even if it was a glorified spar like people seem to think (i dont) mcgregor would still have a long road to be able to try and match  mayweather to make it look believable.

For the life of me i dont know what exploit he thinks he can come up with that no boxer has tried before. Q

Paulie is getting nowhere near a 6 figure payday for a few weeks sparring. 

And 50-0 as a trademark is not worth 'tens of millions' - thats like the rubbish that people spout about Michael Buffer being worth $200m based him holding the 'ready to rumble' trademark - who's paying for these trademarks to accumulate these amounts. 
    They'll get the odd rights fee and sell the odd bit of merch with it on. Not mega money.

Right well you should be writing a strongly worded letter to Forbes because they put his 2014 merchandise income from "TMT" at $15 million for the year.

He has trademarks on "TMT 50" and "TBE 50" too.

So yeah unless Forbes are clueless, then those trademarks will be worth a fortune to him.

"TBE 49-1" doesn't have the same ring to it...

In fact, losing to Conor will hurt his existing TBE income. Hard to call yourself "The Best Ever" if you get flattened by an 0-0 boxer.
    Yeah just because a business has a turnover of $15m doesn't mean it's worth "tens of millions" and neither would the branding 50-0. The value and turnovers of both brands and businesses would rely heavily on Floyd being active as a fighter too.  
    Neither trademark is 'worth a fortune'  - the TBE/TMT branding has some value now after some serious investment, but it'll fade off into obscurity - the brands aren't some blue chip investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The conspiracy isn't Conor in any way winning..

More Floyd allowing Conor to look somewhat competitive..

I wouldn't call that a silly feeling to have or situation to consider..

Gamebred wrote: »
    tumblr_ml9iw8Kgxn1r83l0ao1_400.gif

This machine couldnt land a single clean punch on Floyd (dont care if he was too young) and people are backing Conor at 4/1 :D

Fantasy here but could you imagine if someone had Canelos striking with good wrestling/BJJ/Kicking in mma.

walshb wrote: »
    The conspiracy isn't Conor in any way winning..

More Floyd allowing Conor to look somewhat competitive..

I wouldn't call that a silly feeling to have or situation to consider..

The only way this "looks competitive" is if Conor lands punches on his head.

So you're now saying Floyd will "allow" Conor to punch him in the face repeatedly to give some sort of illusion of competitiveness?

I just don't know where to even start with some of you.

Going back through some of Press Tour and Floyd only lost his cool once and it was to a reporter.

"My name is not Floyd Mayweather Jr. My name is Floyd Joy Mayweather. I'm not no Junior".

If I was Conor I'd be piling on the Junior stuff every single day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Going back through some of Press Tour and Floyd only lost his cool once and it was to a reporter.

"My name is not Floyd Mayweather Jr. My name is Floyd Joy Mayweather. I'm not no Junior".

If I was Conor I'd be piling on the Junior stuff every single day.

I wouldn't consider that to be "losing your cool" Floyd is 40 now so I'm not surprised he might want to drop the 'Junior' from his name and go by something else. 'Joy' is actually the nickname his father used in boxing, and although Floyd and his father have had their differences, there is still allot of love and respect between them.

Floyd has stayed remarkably cool during all of McGregor's taunting, insults and even physical contact.
    Nothing will get to him, especially when it comes to fight night, He's the most disciplined in ring fighter ever.

• Advertisement

The only way this "looks competitive" is if Conor lands punches on his head.

So you're now saying Floyd will "allow" Conor to punch him in the face repeatedly to give some sort of illusion of competitiveness?

I just don't know where to even start with some of you.

I never mentioned that Floyd allows him to punch him in the head or face

He can allow Conor look competitive without allowing Conor to do any significant damage.

You don't see that or believe that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I don't often post in this thread, but that video of Canelo firing away is just a pure joy to watch. His accuracy and release of punches is something else, you can feel the power flowing through those shots, and the concentration on his face as he lets fly.

A most accurate description of how to take advantage of a wounded fighter.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

I never mentioned that Floyd allows him to punch him in the head or face

He can allow Conor look competitive without allowing Conor to do any significant damage.

You don't see that or believe that?

For those of us who are non boxing experts, how would we tell the difference between Conor being competitive and Floyd making Conor look like he is competitive

cletus wrote: »
    For those of us who are non boxing experts, how would we tell the difference between Conor being competitive and Floyd making Conor look like he is competitive

You don't have to be an expert to know this stuff. MMA and Boxing are supported and followed by both sets of fans. I am sure you will be able to see if Floyd is coasting and not going hard. Same with Conor. I won't be looking at Conor as much, as he is not the boxer. There's a tip. Watch Floyd a little more.

On the off chance that Conor somehow fights and boxes similarly to Maidana and you can see that he is being very bothersome then you could deduce that Floyd will need to commit and work.

Don't get me wrong, Floyd doesn't just need to show up. He may well need to exert himself. I juts cannot see this exetion bothering him or being all that difficult for him.

If the gulf in class really is as we think and expect, then Floyd will show us this in how he performs. Either by whupping Conor or by coasting and still being clearly superior.

Floyd coasting is not the same as making Conor look competitive. Floyd doing that suggests some sort of collusion.

Even non boxing fans, as you say, could pick out Floyd not needing to work in order to school McGregor, but what, specifically, would it look like for Floyd to actively make the fight look like McGregor is being competitive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Inviere

but what, specifically, would it look like for Floyd to actively make the fight look like McGregor is being competitive

I don't think he realistically can, hence the "I'm 40 & not the same fighter" line we've heard him coming out with recently. He'll have to slow the pace right down, and come down to McGregors level, rather than make McGregor look like he's fighting at Floyd's level. He'll then just play the age card afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Conor's odds have narrowed because of instagram posts of him getting a sweat on. :rolleyes:

Floyd coasting is not the same as making Conor look competitive. Floyd doing that suggests some sort of collusion.

It may suggest collusion, but it doesn't mean it has to be collusion.

Floyd could simply coast and put in as much or as little effort as he wants. He is his own man, and there is no law against doing this.

Conor may or may not be aware. They may or may not be in on it....

But educated fight fans and MMA fans should be able to see if Floyd is coasting and just doing what he wants....

It may suggest collusion, but it doesn't mean it has to be collusion.

Floyd could simply coast and put in as much or as little effort as he wants. He is his own man, and there is no law against doing this.

Conor may or may not be aware. They may or may not be in on it....

But educated fight fans and MMA fans should be able to see if Floyd is coasting and just doing what he wants....

Look, you said he can allow Conor look competitive. I contend that Floyd coasting will not be the same as Conor looking competitive.

I've asked you how Floyd could make Conor look competitive. Your reply is again with regards to Floyd coasting.

Would you agree that Floyd coasting would look completely different to McGregor looking competitive, because from my perspective at least, Floyd coasting through the fight would be the exact opposite of Conor looking competitive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The more I hang about in here, the more I'd love Conor to go in and absolutely dominate Floyd. Not just a single knock out punch, but absolutely ****ing destroy him.

Not because I want to see Conor win, or Floyd lose, or someone to get paid. Because I want to see walshb's ****e-o-Meter™ explode.

• Advertisement

Look, you said he can allow Conor look competitive. I contend that Floyd coasting will not be the same as Conor looking competitive.

I've asked you how Floyd could make Conor look competitive. Your reply is again with regards to Floyd coasting.

Would you agree that Floyd coasting would look completely different to McGregor looking competitive, because from my perspective at least, Floyd coasting through the fight would be the exact opposite of Conor looking competitive

Why are you obfuscating?

It's simple: Write down your definition of competitive...

To me the term is subjective anyway...

Let's say Floyd "coasts" and wins most of, if not all rds via 10-9. To some that could be competitive towards the non boxer, Conor....

He is in there trying, throwing and hitting parts of Floyd's body in each rd, all the while still losing the rds. That could be seen as competitive for the non boxer

You are over-analysing this....

So, by coasting and the fight flowing like I suggested/described could be argued by some as Conor being competitive.

Hell, if Conor makes it to 12 rds no matter what happens there will be some saying he was competitive. That is what I mean by the term being subjective.

Several different examples/permutations for Conor to be deemed competitive, and argued as so.

BTW,

for me there are two types of competitive.

1. Conor actually being competitive with Floyd not coasting
    2. Conor being competitive due to Floyd coasting and allowing him to be competitive

Bear in mind the term competitive is subjective here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

BTW,

for me there are two types of competitive.

1. Conor actually being competitive with Floyd not coasting
    2. Conor being competitive due to Floyd coasting and allowing him to be competitive

Bear in mind the term competitive is subjective here...

You contradict yourself in scenario 2. If Floyd is coasting, then it's not competitive.

Why are you obfuscating?

It's simple: Write down your definition of competitive...

To me the term is subjective anyway...

Let's say Floyd "coasts" and wins most of, if not all rds via 10-9. To some that could be competitive towards the non boxer, Conor....

He is in there trying, throwing and hitting parts of Floyd's body in each rd, all the while still losing the rds. That could be seen as competitive for the non boxer

You are over-analysing this....

So, by coasting and the fight flowing like I suggested/described could be argued by some as Conor being competitive.

Hell, if Conor makes it to 12 rds no matter what happens there will be some saying he was competitive. That is what I mean by the term being subjective.

Several different examples/permutations for Conor to be deemed competitive, and argued as so.

I don't have a 'definition' of competitive. However, if you are asking me what a competitive McGregor would look like, it would be pushing the pace, not allowing Floyd to coast, actively winning rounds, rather than the typical 'boxer a being ahead and taking rounds off' scenario

I am not dissembling here, merely trying to pin down what you mean by Floyd allowing Conor looking competitive. I don't think that Floyd coasting does that. I think it will be very obvious if Floyd coasts across 12 rounds that McGregor is not being competitive at all, to all but the most dim.

I try and stay away from stupid talk and silly accusations when posting here. The first time I interacted with you on this thread was in relation to your assertion that the fight may be fixed in some way. This new set of posts seems to follow the same vein, however, the implication being that Conor is only competitive because Floyd allows him to appear so.

If you truly believe that Conor cannot be in the least bit competitive with Floyd, then just say that, and forget about the caveats regarding Floyd allowing certain things to happen.

Just like the idea that the fight will be fixed to some degree, I think you, or anybody else, would be hard pressed to find combat fans who really believe that Floyd might in some way attempt to make Conor look better in there than he actually is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

I don't often post in this thread, but that video of Canelo firing away is just a pure joy to watch. His accuracy and release of punches is something else, you can feel the power flowing through those shots, and the concentration on his face as he lets fly.

Canelo is a great fighter, Undefeated other than his loss to Mayweather. It shows you how good Floyd is, coming up against a high level professional boxer with youth, size, power, reach etc.. everything in his favour. But it was no match for Floyds incredible defensive ability, counter punching and ring craft.

Before that fight the Mayweather neysayers spoke of Canelo's power, It's completely useless against Floyd.

You contradict yourself in scenario 2. If Floyd is coasting, then it's not competitive.

True.....

But not to people who cannot see this

That is my actual point. It's still competitive, but with a caveat attached.

Competitive appearing due to one man coasting and allowing it so.

No contradiction at all.

I haven't even given my verdict on Conor being competitive or not. I will on August 27, and I will break it down.

Just like the idea that the fight will be fixed to some degree, I think you, or anybody else, would be hard pressed to find combat fans who really believe that Floyd might in some way attempt to make Conor look better in there than he actually is

Floyd may not intentionally-deliberately try to make Conor look competitive, but come fight nigh and action, Floyd may well change it up here and there, and in doing so this may benefit Conor or not, as regards him appearing-looking competitive..

There is 36 minutes of potential action where a lot can happen.

Floyd could come out lazy and not bothered for rds. Then step it up and look so superior etc ect. He could come out looking clearly superior, and then get a little tired-bored and chill and take the foot off the pedal.

Like I said, there are a heap of fight scenarios that could decide how this fight goes and looks to those watching it.

We then judge it and call it. Some may call it accurately and suss what is happening, and others won't have fooking clue what is happening.

I haven't even given my verdict on Conor being competitive or not. I will on August 27, and I will break it down.

I'm sure we'll all wait with baited breath :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

True.....

I will on August 27, and I will break it down.

And we all wait with baited breath.

EDIT: Cletus, jinx, you owe me a coke.

• Advertisement

I'm sure we'll all wait with baited breath :D

If only just to clear up the confusion for you guys...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement