Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

BTW, PM me to remind me, fellas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Walsh you need to stop with the absolute dribble coming from your holy mouth.

Floyd coasting can't make Conor competitive, that's just a contradiction. For Floyd to let Conor look competitive he would have to leave Conor punch him in the face and body, let him win rounds ECT. That's not going to happen, Floyd won't leave anyone punch his face. I cannot believe the nonsense you are talking. Buy a dictionary, You cant change the meaning of words to suit your stupid argument.

You have an excuse for just about every outcome in this fight. You make yourself look very insecure to both boxing and mma fans. Have a look at yourself, wasting your life talking every day about outcomes of a fight which you will pay for, but don't think it should be sanctioned, Think it's a scripted fight with a pre determined outcome no matter the outcome.

You are a walking contradiction

Walsh you need to stop with the absolute dribble coming from your holy mouth.

Floyd coasting can't make Conor competitive, that's just a contradiction. For Floyd to let Conor look competitive he would have to leave Conor punch him in the face and body, let him win rounds ECT. That's not going to happen, Floyd won't leave anyone punch his face. I cannot believe the nonsense you are talking. Buy a dictionary, You cant change the meaning of words to suit your stupid argument.

You have an excuse for just about every outcome in this fight. You make yourself look very insecure to both boxing and mma fans. Have a look at yourself, wasting your life talking every day about outcomes of a fight which you will pay for, but don't think it should be sanctioned, Think it's a scripted fight with a pre determined outcome no matter the outcome.

You are a walking contradiction

Don't let it get to you......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Reach of each fighter Mayweather has faced since the year 2000:
    Andrea Berto 68½ "
    Manny Pacquiao 67"
    Marcos Maidana 69"
    Canelo Álvarez 70"
    Robert Guerrero 71"
    Miguel Cotto 67"
    Victor Ortiz 70"
    Shane Mosley 71"
    Manuel Muez 67"
    Ricky Hatton 65"
    De La Hoya 73"
    Carlos Baldomir 68"
    Zab Judah 72"
    Sharmba Mitchell 72"
    Arturo Gatti 70"
    Henry Bruseles 69"
    DeMarcus Corley 70"
    Phillip N'dou 72"
    Josuis Castillo 69"
    Jesús Chz 65"
    Carlos Hernez 66"
    Diego Corrales 70"
    Emanuel Augustus 68"
    Gregorio Vargas 67"

Tony Pep is perhaps the only fighter he has fought that had the same reach as Conor (no official record, so can't say for sure with him).

Which means that McGregor (with a reach of 74") would be the fighter with the longest reach that he has ever faced.

Not so easy to slip and roll with shots when someone has that kind of reach advantage and at 40 years old he is bound to have lost at least some of his speed in that regard too. Sure even when he was at his peak he was being clipped and so no reason to assume he absolutely won't be in this one.

floyd-mayweather-takes-a-jab-to-the-face.gif

giphy.gif

floyd-mayweather-vs-chop-chop-corley.gif?w=540&h=335

I don't for a second think McGregor has a hope of out boxing Floyd and taking the fight on points. I think people that believe that is even a possibility are living in lala land. It would be a boxing clinic past Round 4 (unless Mayweather is hurt in some manner evening up their abilities.... badly cut eye for example).

I do however think that if Conor can mix it up in those first rounds and not just fight in one predictable way, then Floyd will struggle (initially at least) to read him. McGregor needs to confuse him, frustrate him, attack him and stand off him by fighting in unpredictable snatches.... and all while trying to not get hit himself too. A tall order for damn sure...... but Floyd's 40 and while I do think that he has been hamming it up saying he is not the fighter he was 'ten years ago, five years ago, two years ago' etc.... I do still believe that there is inevitably some truth to it. Fighters like Floyd who's greatest asset is their fighting brain (as opposed to the fighters who reply on punching power) are affected by ageing faster. In McGuigan's book Cyclone he spoke of how his boxing brain began to deteriorate long before his physical ability to did.

Ultimately the way I see it is that in the early rounds McGregor for damn sure has the potential to exploit his reach and rock Floyd......... and while the probability of him being able to do so are slim..... it's far more plausible than many believe it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

That list of the reach on Floyd's opponents. Am I right in saying the ones with the longest reach 70+ gave him the least amount of trouble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Andrea Berto 68½ "
    Manny Pacquiao 67"
    Marcos Maidana 69"
    Canelo Álvarez 70"
    Robert Guerrero 71"
    Miguel Cotto 67"
    Victor Ortiz 70"
    Shane Mosley 71"
    Manuel Muez 67"
    Ricky Hatton 65"
    De La Hoya 73"
    Carlos Baldomir 68"
    Zab Judah 72"
    Sharmba Mitchell 72"
    Arturo Gatti 70"
    Henry Bruseles 69"
    DeMarcus Corley 70"
    Phillip N'dou 72"
    Josuis Castillo 69"
    Jesús Chz 65"
    Carlos Hernez 66"
    Diego Corrales 70"
    Emanuel Augustus 68"
    Gregorio Vargas 67"

Absolute no bodies, just asked Mrs LaQueefa who Robert Guerrero was and reply was the masked wrestler guy... then i asked who Marcos Maidana was and she said that guy from guardians of the galaxy, dunno where she got that from. bums the lot of them

• Good post Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Inviere

At least this clears up what they're were saying to each other at the pressers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

walshb wrote: »
    I never mentioned that Floyd allows him to punch him in the head or face

He can allow Conor look competitive without allowing Conor to do any significant damage.

You don't see that or believe that?

No, I don't see it.

If Floyd is dancing around Conor for 12 rounds with Conor hitting fresh air or arms, then it's not a competitive fight.

You keep saying "Floyd might allow it to be competitive".

To me the only way it's competitive is if Conor is landing jabs, hooks, uppercuts, crosses on Floyd's head or body. Shots that Mauro Ranallo in between rounds says "Paulie look at this lovely body shot by Conor".

So you're either saying Floyd is going to allow Conor to punch him or you're talking the usual modicum of nonsense.

• Advertisement

No, I don't see it.

If Floyd is dancing around Conor for 12 rounds with Conor hitting fresh air or arms, then it's not a competitive fight.

You keep saying "Floyd might allow it to be competitive".

To me the only way it's competitive is if Conor is landing jabs, hooks, uppercuts, crosses on Floyd's head or body. Shots that Mauro Ranallo in between rounds says "Paulie look at this lovely body shot by Conor".

So you're either saying Floyd is going to allow Conor to punch him or you're talking the usual modicum of nonsense.

Do you think the 2007 Oscar fight with Floyd was competitive?

According to many Oscar didn't land at all....

For me it was most definitely competitive....

Floyd may well allow Conor to make connections.......Educated fans will know when this is happening. Connections that aren't all that impacting or significant.

He may not allow Conor to make connections, and Conor may still make connections.

Like I said, many permutations on how the fight flows

Think outside the box for a change......

Get over this word, competitive. In this instance it's very subjective, and reading some stuff here it's incorrectly being labeled too black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Do you think the 2007 Oscar fight with Floyd was competitive?

According to many Oscar didn't land at all....

For me it was most definitely competitive....

Think outside the box for a change......

A competitive fight in MMA (to me) is *usually* one that goes the full 3 rounds and ends in 29-28 unanimous or 29-28 split decisions.

Or a contest that is nip-and-tuck that ends in 30-27's - for example Cavillo v JoJo on the weekend. Close enough rounds. Good fight.

A competitive fight is not Floyd going 120-108 on all scorecards after Conor hit arms for 12 rounds.

I have far more belief in Conor than you do and for me if it's "competitive" then he wins anywhere from 3 to 6 of the 12 rounds.

Anything less than that for me and it was a one-sided rout for Floyd.

A competitive fight in MMA (to me) is *usually* one that goes the full 3 rounds and ends in 29-28 unanimous or 29-28 split decisions.

Or a contest that is nip-and-tuck that ends in 30-27's - for example Cavillo v JoJo on the weekend. Close enough rounds. Good fight.

A competitive fight is not Floyd going 120-108 on all scorecards after Conor hit arms for 12 rounds.

I have far more belief in Conor than you do and for me if it's "competitive" then he wins anywhere from 3 to 6 of the 12 rounds.

Anything less than that for me and it was a one-sided rout for Floyd.

That's why I said think outside the box...

Add in the novelty aspect here and it's completely logical and fair to apply a different form of "competitive" to Conor, who is already clearly at a disadvantage...I'll give Conor some leeway here.

Conor will be competitive if he doesn't get beaten up. It's that simple....

I am not judging him here the same way I would judge a competent boxer in the ring with Floyd.

Anyone doing that in terms of talking about competitiveness and success for Conor is ridiculous.

So 120-108 for Floyd with several/many closely fought rds? Competitive.....?

To me one could argue so...

The score only tells part of the story, as your post says.

Inviere wrote: »
    Fookin' hell lads...

I think Conor fans are not being realistic and fair to Conor here.

He deserves a slightly exaggerated definition/description of competitive for this event.

I am going to give it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Ha sorry to all the MMA lads in here having to put up with WalshB's drivel, the boxing forum has suffered long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭xtal191

20228690_2087381304818618_9222863531095132999_n.jpg?oh=65a400651f74e720b7fcaa96a5e5d543&oe=59EFE3D9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

walshb wrote:
    Floyd may well allow Conor to make connections.......Educated fans will know when this is happening. Connections that aren't all that impacting or significant.

I have no idea, why you haven't been banned out of this whole forum, you contribute nothing of value, only posting nonsense to wind up other posters, mainly wonderful who at this stage should just ignore you, in the hopes that you will go away.

Honestly can't wait for this fight to be over so you guys piss off back to the boxing forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Its amusing to see Conors fans look for ways he can be competitive.

His reach is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Andre Berto had him pinned in the corner and Floyd was talking to the media as Andre was throwing his best shots.

He could light a cigar and avoid Conors shots.

The only chance is a hail mary . Thats the beauty of combat sports . There is a 1% maybe less of that happening .

We will pay to watch in hope though.

I think Conor fans are not being realistic and fair to Conor here.

He deserves a slightly exaggerated definition/description of competitive for this event.

I am going to give it...

I'm a Conor fan, and I don't see how he can win this fight. I really, really, REALLY, hope he does...primarily to see the snobbery toward MMA shoved down the throats of certain posters, but again, I don't see how he wins this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I am expecting Conor to be more competitive than people think, but I also think Floyd will not look like he is 40 in there either.

So both of the above points could cancel each other out.

Inviere wrote: »
    I'm a Conor fan, and I don't see how he can win this fight. I really, really, REALLY, hope he does...primarily to see the snobbery toward MMA shoved down the throats of certain posters, but again, I don't see how he wins this.

I am with you

I am not arguing that he wins. He doesn't win, unless Floyd gets injured or the very small chance of a KO/TKO.

I am simply allowing him leeway and applying certain standards and definitions to his success and competitiveness due to him being already very much at a disadvantage..

I suppose similar to handicapped betting that the bookies give

Wouldn't this event be far more appealing and interesting if the two of them agreed to certain clauses as regards a win and a loss..?

Just throwing it out there.

Something like Floyd having to win within x amount of rds or else the hooter goes and Conor's hand is raised....?

Plenty other scenarios could be presented...

And I don't want to hear that this is ridiculous or that is ridiculous. This very event by its nature is ridiculous; at least let's try make it a bit more competitive for the Irishman...

Gembered mentioned one a good while back where if Floyd could not win within 6 it switched to MMA.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

So he doesn't win, unless he wins..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

His reach is irrelevant.

For someone called 'Sweet Science' you sure talk a lot of nonsense when it comes to the sweet science.

Offensively....... a fighter uses less energy punching downwards than they would punching upwards at a taller opponent and their shoulders don’t get as tired as a result. Also means that it is (theoretically at least) possible to stand in a position where they can hit their opponent...... but their opponent can't hit them....... meaning the shorter fighter has to essentially walk through punches to get into striking range.

Even if Floyd is successful in negating this reach advantage by coming inside.... that would leave him open to being hit at wide angles.... something we know Conor can do.

Defensively it also means a fighter's head is further away from their opponent's reach which for sure is advantageous when facing a fighter who counter punches like Floyd does. Longer reach also means a jab can be used to keep the shorter fighter away.

Ultimately Floyd has to work to get into striking range... whereas Conor does not.... well, not to the same degree at least.

His reach is irrelevant? Yeah, course it is.

Gembered mentioned one a good while back where if Floyd could not win within 6 it switched to MMA.....

Interesting, but all it'd do is put the boot up Mayweathers ass to go out & end the show as quickly as possible. Plus, I'm not sure Conor would have enough in the tank to start swinging kicks after 18 mins with Floyd.

The only thing Conor can do is try to be so so accurate with his punches, be lightning quick in both punching and his movement, and try to somehow hurt Floyd very, very early on. If we hear the bell after two rounds, it's likely not going to happen.

Conor's reach is relevant only in that it is longer than Floyd's and longer than his previous opponents.

I have said before, Jon Jones could be in there and I believe his reach to be greater than Conor's, and Jon Jones wouldn't have a hope at beating Mayweather at boxing.

I think Conors reach will be heavily negated by Floyds incredible speed. I don't believe he's lost much, even if he is 40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Seen this on the boxing forum .

eZmKRrB.png

Cant see it happening to be honest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement