Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

walshb wrote: »
    I have said before, Jon Jones could be in there and I believe his reach to be greater than Conor's, and Jon Jones wouldn't have a hope at beating Mayweather at boxing.

But the same principles would apply and Jones's best chance at beating Floyd would be to knock him spark out also......... and given his even greater reach advantage (and height and weight also of course) he would undoubtedly do so.

Jones punches would easily break Floyd's guard.... lets be real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

The concept that it's an 0-0 boxer, hence he has no chance, is stupid. You have to look a lot deeper than a professional boxing record.

Lomachenko was 0-0 when he fought for his first World Title. Sure, he had 2 Olympic gold's under his belt as an amateur but he was still proven in world class competition.

Conor has 4 world titles, 5 if you're being generous, under his belt in mixed martial arts. His best attributes as a mixed martial artist are his mastery of range/distance, he has consistently shown calmness under the biggest stage, and his movement and footwork in MMA terms is exceptional.

He brings a lot more to the table than the bare 0-0, just like Lomachenko did in a very different way.

I was steadfast in my belief than Floyd would stop Conor in the later rounds but the more I think about this fight, I've gone to the dark side. I'm convinced Conor will win this contest the same way he wins every other contest - mentally, physically and with his left hand.

On a side note, made me smile to see his instagram post "Representing the Ultimate Fighting Championship". Also great to see so many champions in the UFC publicly supporting him.

Also had to laugh at Joanna correcting Conor on how to pronounce her name and he blindly ignored her and mispronounced it again lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

The concept that it's an 0-0 boxer, hence he has no chance, is stupid. You have to look a lot deeper than a professional boxing record.

Lomachenko was 0-0 when he fought for his first World Title. Sure, he had 2 Olympic gold's under his belt as an amateur but he was still proven in world class competition.

Conor has 4 world titles, 5 if you're being generous, under his belt in mixed martial arts. His best attributes as a mixed martial artist are his mastery of range/distance, he has consistently shown calmness under the biggest stage, and his movement and footwork in MMA terms is exceptional.

He brings a lot more to the table than the bare 0-0, just like Lomachenko did in a very different way.

I was steadfast in my belief than Floyd would stop Conor in the later rounds but the more I think about this fight, I've gone to the dark side. I'm convinced Conor will win this contest the same way he wins every other contest - mentally, physically and with his left hand.

On a side note, made me smile to see his instagram post "Representing the Ultimate Fighting Championship". Also great to see so many champions in the UFC publicly supporting him.

Also had to laugh at Joanna correcting Conor on how to pronounce her name and he blindly ignored her and mispronounced it again lol.

Loma was 1-0 and probably the greatest amateur ever. He also lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Loma was 1-0 and probably the greatest amateur ever. He also lost.

In a fight he absolutely should have won...and almost did.

Yeh, because apologizing to the lady and properly pronouncing her name would be so much less funny and polite!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

99% of McGregor fans have zero clue who Lomachenko is, I dont think anyone whose watched more than 10 boxing fights are giving McGregor a hope,

If Conor wanted to go the 12 rounds I think its possible if he shelled up and take his whooping for 12rds I think his chin and core would last no bother but his own attacking is gonna be his downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,100 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Seen this on the boxing forum .

eZmKRrB.png

Cant see it happening to be honest

That's exactly what I see happening (unfortunately)

But the same principles would apply and Jones's best chance at beating Floyd would be to knock him spark out also......... and given his even greater reach advantage (and height and weight also of course) he would undoubtedly do so.

Jones punches would easily break Floyd's guard.... lets be real.

Jones absolutely stands a better chance than Conor due to Jones being a far more physical specimen. But that is where it ends. He still loses clearly.

When you say breaks his guard. What guard? Floyd doesn't use one type of guard. That is why he is so difficult to pin down and hit clean.

Are you actually saying that Jon Jones would KO Mayweather in boxing, and/or that he should be viewed as the favorite?

I am beginning to doubt that you know the first thing about boxing and/or Mayweather.

Yet you have no issue dissing Sweet Science's boxing knowledge/breakdowns...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Seen this on the boxing forum .

Cant see it happening to be honest

Why not? Most likely outcome IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

maximoose wrote: »
    Why not? Most likely outcome IMO

think floyds last tko was against hatton 10 years ago , along time now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Jones absolutely stands a better chance than Conor due to Jones being a far more physical specimen. But that is where it ends. He still loses clearly.

When you say breaks his guard. What guard? Floyd doesn't use one type of guard. That is why he is so difficult to pin down and hit clean.

Are you actually saying that Jon Jones would KO Mayweather in boxing, and/or that he should be viewed as the favorite?

I am beginning to doubt that you know the first thing about boxing and/or Mayweather.

YES, if Jon Jones fought Mayweather in in only boxing , and no knives or spinning ****. he would break Floyds arms and either KO him or Floyds team throw in the towel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

A 220lb, 6ft 3" Jon Jones (with an almost 85" reach) would for sure have an excellent shot at knocking out a 5ft 7" 155lb Mayweather ffs.

Mayweather avoiding punches from fighters with reaches of between 65" to 73" reaches is one thing.... but from fighters with an 85" reach, that are 8 inches taller than him and weigh 220lb? Come on.

Heavier guys don't just hit harder, they also absorb punishment better too.

Now, again..... the longer the fight would go on, the less power and reach advantages would matter as the non pro-boxer would just be outboxed

Tbf, you (and a lot of boxing fans) have an unrealistic view of just what professional boxing skills can initially invalidate.

Mayweather's a boxer.... not Wonder Woman.

His boxing skills are so good he beat up wonder woman, did get charged for it tho and served some time, doesn't matter tho cause he is a real legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You've lost it.

He was 369-1 in the amateurs, 2 Olympic gold medals, 2 world boxing titles in the amateurs and 1 silver medal, and a life time of boxing. Unproven in world class competition? Give me (and everyone) a break.

You go on then to say Conor has 4 world titles in MMA as if that trumps Lomas frankly astonishing record in boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

If MMA fans are looking back on Mayweather fights. Keep your focus on just his face for a few rounds. You see his opponents throw punches in bunches but Floyd doesn't get hit. It's really remarkable. There are clean air shots, touches off the elbows, arms and shoulders, but nothing lands. Fighters can't go down to the body either because Floyd never puts himself in a position at the end of an exchange that gives his opponents a opportunity to exploit. His defensive ability and movement are too advanced for even elite boxer to deal with. There's really no hope for McGregor.

The only problem with that bet is that a straight KO ruins it. What if Floyd cracks him with a flush left hook to the chin. It could be lights out.

Exactly McGregor is really fcked because he can't attack Floyd. Anything he throws with be contered and return back with pin point accuracy. Floyd will only let Conor fight in defence mode for so long before he starts to us him as a punching bag.

Floyd doesn't have to chase Conor around the ring either, He will use his ring craft and clever movement to corner McGregor and just unload a barrage of punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Gintonious wrote: »

You've lost it.

He was 369-1 in the amateurs, 2 Olympic gold medals, 2 world boxing titles in the amateurs and 1 silver medal, and a life time of boxing. Unproven in world class competition? Give me (and everyone) a break.

You go on then to say Conor has 4 world titles in MMA as if that trumps Lomas frankly astonishing record in boxing.
    Mate. As wonder pointed out, he has the likes of Conlan and Quigley he can message on Whatsapp for advice. Like he says we're looking at a Been-Eubank type fight here. 
    Loma is arguably the greatest am boxer ever. Its idiotic to compare the amateur BOXING he did at the Olympics, WSB and various tournaments to what Conor has achieved in a different sport.

If MMA fans are looking back on Mayweather fights. Keep your focus on his just his face for a few rounds. You see his opponents throw punches in bunches but Floyd doesn't get hit. It's really remarkable. There are clean air shots, touches off the elbows, arms and shoulders, but nothing lands. Fighters can't go down to the body either because Floyd never puts himself in a position at the end of an exchange that gives his opponents a opportunity to exploit. His defensive ability and movement are too advanced for even elite boxer to deal with. There's really no hope for McGregor.

The only problem with that bet is that a straight KO ruins it. What if Floyd cracks him with a flush left hook to the chin. It could be lights out.

Exactly McGregor is really fcked because he can't attack Floyd. Anything he throws with be contered and return back with pin point accuracy. Floyd will only let Conor fight in defence mode for so long before he starts to us him as a punching bag.

Floyd doesn't have to chase Conor around the ring either, He will use his ring craft and clever movement to corner McGregor and just unload a barrage of punches.

I'd still be aprehensive about fully, 100% writing off McGregor, he does have an outside chance of doing something to Floyd.

Now, this might be the instagram posts working on me. McGregor is lashing out lots these days and Floyds just makes me want to go to a strip club.

When I think about it in a fantasy kind of way, I think Conor could do it. When I remember back to the last 10 times I've watched Floyd in the hope that the opponent might beat him and 3 rounds in the reality sets in, I can see that happening more and more.

I'd love for this to be a mad crazy back and forth fight, but, the head says otherwise.

Mate. As wonder pointed out, he has the likes of Conlan and Quigley he can message on Whatsapp for advice. Like he says we're looking at a Been-Eubank type fight here. 
    Loma is arguably the greatest am boxer ever. Its idiotic to compare the amateur BOXING he did at the Olympics, WSB and various tournaments to what Conor has achieved in a different sport.

Are we really looking at that? Something tells me you have never seen Mayweather fight if you are saying that.

If we are comparing Lomas boxing career as we a whole (amateur and pro) to McGregors as a whole (amateur and pro), and for the upcoming BOXING match, I think I know which one I would prefer to have.

Whats amazing is the level of arrogance so called boxing ''true fans'' have. Like any of you have boxed at the level of Floyd or even Conor, yet all able to analyze and pin point what and why Floyd gonna play possum or destroy Conor or fake fight.

Further more at least the argument that Conor believes in himself you all find false and some may also debate if he is even a star.

Boxing is not the pure sport that you are being spoon fed and holding your nose up at KO artist be it MMA is showing everyone how elitist you view it.

Most are so sted fast that everything thats tradional boxing will win out cause its the sweet science or the dance or all the other bull **** is will and has what lead you to the point only option for your best is to fight Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Ya this should be promoted more as UFC v Boxing. That's what would draw in more casuals/non fans . UFC wins then boxing is dead (In the view of casuals or non fans)

• Advertisement

Whats amazing is the level of arrogance so called boxing ''true fans'' have. Like any of you have boxed at the level of Floyd or even Conor, yet all able to analyze and pin point what and why Floyd gonna play possum or destroy Conor or fake fight.

Further more at least the argument that Conor believes in himself you all find false and some may also debate if he is even a star.

Boxing is not the pure sport that you are being spoon fed and holding your nose up at KO artist be it MMA is showing everyone how elitist you view it.

Most are so sted fast that everything thats tradional boxing will win out cause its the sweet science or the dance or all the other bull **** is will and has what lead you to the point only option for your best is to fight Conor.

Ok-Meme.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I wouldn't say Benn v Eubank - more likely Willie Casey v Rigondeaux

Gintonious wrote: »
    Are we really looking at that? Something tells me you have never seen Mayweather fight if you are saying that.

If we are comparing Lomas boxing career as we a whole (amateur and pro) to McGregors as a whole (amateur and pro), and for the upcoming BOXING match, I think I know which one I would prefer to have.

I think the poster's post you quoted was all facetious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yet you have no issue dissing Sweet Science's boxing knowledge/breakdowns...

I dunno, shaquille o neal gave oscar dela hoya some trouble https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWoHZXupeVA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Gintonious wrote:
    When I remember back to the last 10 times I've watched Floyd in the hope that the opponent might beat him and 3 rounds in the reality sets in, I can see that happening more and more.

I'm not sure McGregor gets to the 3rd round. You know yourself form watching his last 10+ fights, Floyd took a very careful and measured approach, against great fighters like De La Hoya, Marquez, Cotto, Canelo, Pacquiao etc...

But with McGregor you have a guy who is so limited in terms of boxing ability, so lacking in basic defense, that Floyd will have more time than ever to anticipate any attack and to create open opportunity's to land clean shots and counters. and at any moment in the early rounds he may just decided to hit the kill switch
    Gintonious wrote:
    I'd love for this to be a mad crazy back and forth fight, but, the head says otherwise.

I can only see a one sided beatdown, It's probably best that Floyd ends it early on. For the sake of Conor's long term health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Inviere

Watching McGregor Diaz 2 here...Conor, he's a bleedin' enigma & has me once again doubting my previous certainty that he can't win this (if only a little!) Given it's styles that make fights, Diaz was a total stylistic nightmare for Conor. It's hugely impressive to see his adaption & evolution for their rematch:

Round 1 - Fantastic speed and movement by Conor. More so than I remember (my first time watching this since it was live). His slipping and countering here are tremendous, more so against the taller, rangier Diaz. He spent a LOT of energy in this round mincing that lead leg of Nate (Nates leg is purple half way through the round), so that's one thing he won't have to worry about against Floyd. Conor has serious, serious punching power, and knocked Nate to the canvas very early on (anyone who knows Nate will know he has a chin of titanium). Conor won the round very comfortably, despite using up a lot of gas on the kicks. Nate's face was showing significant damage by the end of the round, and his lead leg is chewed up.

Round 2 - Less than 30 seconds into the round, Nate is floored with a huge left by Conor, and Conor refuses to go to ground (again, for me, this shows focus, game plan, and knowing where you can & can't win). 16 seconds later, Nate is floored again with a precision left. Conor lets him up again, knowing going to ground with Nate will throw the strategy & plan out the window. At 3:32 in the round, Conor shows us he has a jab, & a nice one straight through the guard of Nate. The leg kicks have dropped off, but they're still going, keeping Nate guessing as how to fight Conor.

***At this point, I think Nate & only Nate would be still fighting back after what Conor has thrown at him. Up until this fight, Conor has only had one fight to go the distance***

Conor showing the first stages of tiredness well into the round, but his slipping & countering are beautiful to watch. He clearly ran out of steam towards the end of the round, & took a pasting from Nate. He was able to weather the storm, and again, I think if it were anyone else he was fighting, the fight would have been done before this point. Diaz is a terminator, he just keeps coming. So Conor's gas tank is clearly a worry from here, ten minutes into the fight. However, he won't have to worry about kicking in a boxing match, so it hopefully buys him time. I'd have that as 2-0 McGregor, considering the two knock downs.

Round 3 - Conor starting the round visibly slower, clearly struggling for oxygen still. Nate continues to put pressure on, with a bit of clinching. Conor seems to be working through it though, sewing the seeds of a second wind, but his accuracy and movement are way down. A lot of running for Conor now, which looks bad, but he either does it or likely lose the fight on the ground. If Conor lets his gas tank run out against Floyd it's not gonna be pretty. Conor was absolutely pasted near the end of the round by Nate, the only positive showing determination & the ability to take a punch. Terrible round for Conor. 2-1

Round 4 - Conor opened all the cuts again on Nates face, and seems to have found strength from somewhere. Some brutal legs kicks too, wrecking Nate's lead leg even more. The pace of the round is less frantic, I think Nate is starting to struggle now too, and is bleeding heavily from the eye. Conor's judgement of range is still excellent, and his accuracy has shot up again now. Another round to Conor, 3-1.

Round 5 - Conor fighting on reserves now, but still is able to excellently defend a take down from a clinch. Nate's eye is wrecked, but Conor has gotten boo'd twice now for running. He's running to not only get a lung full of air, but to make space too, he knows Nate wants to take him down. Conor looking at the clock, a lot too. He's exhausted, & outta gas. Nate lands the take down eventually, with 10 seconds left on the clock. Not a great round for Conor, but still have him at 3-2 round wise.

From that, all I can say is Conor might have the power, movement, and speed to put it up to Floyd for the first two, MAYBE, three rounds. After that though, it's lights out. Conor needs to go in, find a rhythm, and try and find his way through with a big left...IF he somehow manages that, he has to go all out for the kill. If Floyd gets into his swing, & Conor runs outta gas, gamebred over.

As an aside, nobody should ever use Nate Diaz as a way to put Conor down. He's a tough, tough, tough, mother****er, with a granite chin. Eyelid smashed wide open, blood covering his face, knocked down on his ass three times by huge lefts, calf muscle the colour of a dairy milk wrapper...and still coming at ya for more.

I'm not sure McGregor gets to the 3rd round. You know yourself form watching his last 10+ fights, Floyd took a very careful and measured approach, against great fighters like De La Hoya, Marquez, Cotto, Canelo, Pacquiao etc...

But with McGregor you have a guy who is so limited in terms of boxing ability, so lacking in basic defense, that Floyd will have more time than ever to anticipate any attack and to create open opportunity's to land clean shots and counters. and at any moment in the early rounds he may just decided to hit the kill switch

I can only see a one sided beatdown, It's probably best that Floyd ends it early on. For the sake of Conor's long term health.

I fully expect a conservative Floyd to come out, I can't not expect that really. Once he gets his timing and so forth, then he might open up.

People seem to forget that when Floyd starts walking you down, he is equally as lethal. Granted his isn't really a combo fight, he picks his shots carefully and then goes with the flow.

The unknown is what McGregor will do. Some of his habits in MMA would be dire for boxing. His stance, dragging the jab back, chin high, hands low, that will all have to be gone.

A 220lb, 6ft 3" Jon Jones (with an almost 85" reach) would for sure have an excellent shot at knocking out a 5ft 7" 155lb Mayweather ffs.

Mayweather avoiding punches from fighters with reaches of between 65" to 73" reaches is one thing.... but from fighters with an 85" reach, that are 8 inches taller than him and weigh 220lb? Come on.

Heavier guys don't just hit harder, they also absorb punishment better too.

Now, again..... the longer the fight would go on, the less power and reach advantages would matter as the non pro-boxer would just be outboxed

Tbf, you (and a lot of boxing fans) have an unrealistic view of just what professional boxing skills can initially invalidate.

Ok, so it's gone from Jones knocking out Mayweather in a boxing match to having an excellent chance...

Maybe an excellent chance in comparison to Conor, but still a very slim chance..

So he's taller and heavier..big deal..he'd still have very little chance of landing clean shots on Floyd..and he would be hit in return. Likely more difficult to hit than Conor due to his height, but he'd still be hit way more than he would hit Floyd.

Floyd doesn't need to be any superhero, just himself in order to beat any MMA fighter at boxing..

Just like Ali to Wilt..timberrr

You reckon Jon Jones would have knocked out a 5 feet 9 160 lbs MW Toney?

Not much taller than Floyd, and 6 lbs heavier than Floyd as regards this Aug 26 match..

Similar styles as regards Defense.

No, Jones would have gotten eaten alive against Toney..

You are completely underaporeciating boxing skills. Size and height and weight matter, but not near as much when it's a novice boxer in against a quality boxer.

• Advertisement

You reckon Jon Jones would have knocked out a 5 feet 9 160 lbs MW Toney?

Not much taller than Floyd, and 6 lbs heavier than Floyd as regards this Aug 26 match..

Similar styles as regards Defense.

No, Jones would have gotten eaten alive here against Toney..

What has that got to do with this fight?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement