Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gintonious wrote: »
    What has that got to do with this fight?

I wasn't addressing it to you..so don't worry..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

For someone called 'Sweet Science' you sure talk a lot of nonsense when it comes to the sweet science.

Offensively....... a fighter uses less energy punching downwards than they would punching upwards at a taller opponent and their shoulders don’t get as tired as a result. Also means that it is (theoretically at least) possible to stand in a position where they can hit their opponent...... but their opponent can't hit them....... meaning the shorter fighter has to essentially walk through punches to get into striking range.

Even if Floyd is successful in negating this reach advantage by coming inside.... that would leave him open to being hit at wide angles.... something we know Conor can do.

Defensively it also means a fighter's head is further away from their opponent's reach which for sure is advantageous when facing a fighter who counter punches like Floyd does. Longer reach also means a jab can be used to keep the shorter fighter away.

Ultimately Floyd has to work to get into striking range... whereas Conor does not.... well, not to the same degree at least.

His reach is irrelevant? Yeah, course it is.

I don't think you understood where I was coming

Is reach relevant in a boxing bout ? Absolutely

Is Conors reach relevant in this boxing bout ? Not at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Canelo is a great fighter, Undefeated other than his loss to Mayweather. It shows you how good Floyd is, coming up against a high level professional boxer with youth, size, power, reach etc.. everything in his favour. But it was no match for Floyds incredible defensive ability, counter punching and ring craft.

Before that fight the Mayweather neysayers spoke of Canelo's power, It's completely useless against Floyd.

So when Conor knocks out Floyd the excuse would be 'yeah but Canelo would butcher him' ..........pretty much what happens in his UFC career where the beast Khabib is waiting to strangle him, after that Ferguson and who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

walshb wrote: »
    Floyd doesn't need to be any superhero, just himself in order to beat any MMA fighter at boxing..

So, even 18 stone Miocic....... 11 stone Floyd would beat no bother :P

Inviere wrote: »
    Watching McGregor Diaz 2 here...Conor, he's a bleedin' enigma & has me once again doubting my previous certainty that he can't win this (if only a little!) Given it's styles that make fights, Diaz was a total stylistic nightmare for Conor. It's hugely impressive to see his adaption & evolution for their rematch:

Round 1 - Fantastic speed and movement by Conor. More so than I remember (my first time watching this since it was live). His slipping and countering here are tremendous, more so against the taller, rangier Diaz. He spent a LOT of energy in this round mincing that lead leg of Nate (Nates leg is purple half way through the round), so that's one thing he won't have to worry about against Floyd. Conor has serious, serious punching power, and knocked Nate to the canvas very early on (anyone who knows Nate will know he has a chin of titanium). Conor won the round very comfortably, despite using up a lot of gas on the kicks. Nate's face was showing significant damage by the end of the round, and his lead leg is chewed up.

Round 2 - Less than 30 seconds into the round, Nate is floored with a huge left by Conor, and Conor refuses to go to ground (again, for me, this shows focus, game plan, and knowing where you can & can't win). 16 seconds later, Nate is floored again with a precision left. Conor lets him up again, knowing going to ground with Nate will throw the strategy & plan out the window. At 3:32 in the round, Conor shows us he has a jab, & a nice one straight through the guard of Nate. The leg kicks have dropped off, but they're still going, keeping Nate guessing as how to fight Conor.

***At this point, I think Nate & only Nate would be still fighting back after what Conor has thrown at him. Up until this fight, Conor has only had one fight to go the distance***

Conor showing the first stages of tiredness well into the round, but his slipping & countering are beautiful to watch. He clearly ran out of steam towards the end of the round, & took a pasting from Nate. He was able to weather the storm, and again, I think if it were anyone else he was fighting, the fight would have been done before this point. Diaz is a terminator, he just keeps coming. So Conor's gas tank is clearly a worry from here, ten minutes into the fight. However, he won't have to worry about kicking in a boxing match, so it hopefully buys him time. I'd have that as 2-0 McGregor, considering the two knock downs.

Round 3 - Conor starting the round visibly slower, clearly struggling for oxygen still. Nate continues to put pressure on, with a bit of clinching. Conor seems to be working through it though, sewing the seeds of a second wind, but his accuracy and movement are way down. A lot of running for Conor now, which looks bad, but he either does it or likely lose the fight on the ground. If Conor lets his gas tank run out against Floyd it's not gonna be pretty. Conor was absolutely pasted near the end of the round by Nate, the only positive showing determination & the ability to take a punch. Terrible round for Conor. 2-1

Round 4 - Conor opened all the cuts again on Nates face, and seems to have found strength from somewhere. Some brutal legs kicks too, wrecking Nate's lead leg even more. The pace of the round is less frantic, I think Nate is starting to struggle now too, and is bleeding heavily from the eye. Conor's judgement of range is still excellent, and his accuracy has shot up again now. Another round to Conor, 3-1.

Round 5 - Conor fighting on reserves now, but still is able to excellently defend a take down from a clinch. Nate's eye is wrecked, but Conor has gotten boo'd twice now for running. He's running to not only get a lung full of air, but to make space too, he knows Nate wants to take him down. Conor looking at the clock, a lot too. He's exhausted, & outta gas. Nate lands the take down eventually, with 10 seconds left on the clock. Not a great round for Conor, but still have him at 3-2 round wise.

From that, all I can say is Conor might have the power, movement, and speed to put it up to Floyd for the first two, MAYBE, three rounds. After that though, it's lights out. Conor needs to go in, find a rhythm, and try and find his way through with a big left...IF he somehow manages that, he has to go all out for the kill. If Floyd gets into his swing, & Conor runs outta gas, gamebred over.

As an aside, nobody should ever use Nate Diaz as a way to put Conor down. He's a tough, tough, tough, mother****er, with a granite chin. Eyelid smashed wide open, blood covering his face, knocked down on his ass three times by huge lefts, calf muscle the colour of a dairy milk wrapper...and still coming at ya for more.

You analysed the fight well there .

However you are basing Conors chances in a boxing match with Floyd Mayweather from a MMA fight against Nate Diaz

They are worlds apart and nowhere near comparable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So, even 18 stone Miocic....... 11 stone Floyd would beat no bother :P

In boxing?

Yes..

Like I said. You either don't appreciate the skill factors or can't even see them.

Miocic has the exact same method of victory as Conor. KO.. may have a better chance at getting it, but Floyd clearly a favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

However you are basing Conors chances in a boxing match with Floyd Mayweather from a MMA fight against Nate Diaz

They're somewhat comparable. He's switching from MMA, where his strength was his boxing. If he was switching from badminton, they'd be world's apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

You've lost it.

He was 369-1 in the amateurs, 2 Olympic gold medals, 2 world boxing titles in the amateurs and 1 silver medal, and a life time of boxing. Unproven in world class competition? Give me (and everyone) a break.

Umm. Go read it again.

I said "he was proven in world class competition". 2 Olympic golds is proof of top class skills.

But thanks for the rant on something I didn't say.

walshb wrote: »
    You either don't appreciate the skill factors or can't even see them.

If that was the case and I didn't appreciate the skill factors involved.......... then I would hardly have said that Conor will be schooled if the fight goes past three rounds or have also pointed out that Jones' reach and weight advantages would begin to be negated at a similar point where he to fight Mayweather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Inviere

Oh I know, I'm not that naive. I chose to look at Diaz 2 because I remember it well for McGregors boxing, & movement...combined with it being his biggest challenge to date, I still think there's merit in looking at where Conor was strong in that fight, & where he wasn't. I took from it that Conor has speed, power & movement...which are a solid basis to scratch the surface of building a strategy against Mayweather. His gas tank, at high pace though, took a real pummeling. I feel both of those hold merit, in visualising where to begin with Conor v Floyd :)

• Advertisement

Is Conors reach relevant in this boxing bout ? Not at all

Make an argument for this absurdity then.

Just saying Conor having a reach advantage is irrelevant in this fight isn't an argument in and of itself you know.

Make an argument for this absurdity then.

Just saying Conor having a reach advantage is irrelevant in this fight isn't an argument in and of itself you know.

Against anyone else I'd agree, but Floyd, I dunno, he's too fast. Conor needs speedy & accuracy more so than reach here, both of which he has.

Inviere wrote: »
    Against anyone else I'd agree, but Floyd, I dunno, he's too fast. Conor needs speedy & accuracy more so than reach here, both of which he has.

I don't disagree but that still doesn't make a reach advantage an 'irrelevancy'.

That's a preposterous thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

sonofenoch wrote:
    So when Conor knocks out Floyd the excuse would be 'yeah but Canelo would butcher him' ..........pretty much what happens in his UFC career where the beast Khabib is waiting to strangle him, after that Ferguson and who knows

First of all, There is no way in hell Conor is knocking Floyd out. Let's get that much straight. 2nd You could put Floyd or Canelo in there, the result is the same, The world class boxer knocks out the defenseless MMA fighter. The only difference is Canelo might actually kill Conor with a right hand.

After Conor recovers from his beating, I hope he dose go on to fight Khabib and Ferguson. Lord knows the UFC need it

I don't disagree but that still doesn't make a reach advantage an 'irrelevancy'.

That's a preposterous thing to say.

The skill and talent levels are so far apart a reach means absolutely nothing . He will not be able to land any punch . Only on Floyd's gloves when he is taking a breather

The only preposterous thing happening is Conor McGregor boxing Floyd Mayweather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

And Diaz set up the submission win by first landing punches on Conor. If the slow, off target, telegraphed punches of Nate Diaz are rocking Conor? How is he going to stand up to the fast, accurate shots that the can't see coming from Floyd Mayweather?

He will not be able to land any punch.

€100 says he will. You game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just imagine the screams coming from the boxing world if Conor lands a punch in the first 10 seconds and KO's Merryweather

€100 says he will. You game?

Define punch

scudzilla wrote: »
    Just imagine the screams coming from the boxing world if Conor lands a punch in the first 10 seconds and KO's Merryweather

I'd be delighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

scudzilla wrote: »

they've their excuses ready on the off chance it comes to that anyway, been building them since the fight was announced :D

And Diaz set up the submission win by first landing punches on Conor.

Why could he not do the same in the rematch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You've lost it.He was 369-1 in the amateurs, 2 Olympic gold medals, 2 world boxing titles in the amateurs and 1 silver medal, and a life time of boxing. Unproven in world class competition? Give me (and everyone) a break.
    Umm. Go read it again.I said "he was proven in world class competition". 2 Olympic golds is proof of top class skills.But thanks for the rant on something I didn't say.

Ok sweetheart, sorry about that. No need to get bent out of shape.

Define punch

3048558.gif

Look, you said Conor wouldn't land a punch and I'm willing to put up a ton that says he will.

Are you gonna put your money where your mouth is or not?

3048558.gif

Look, you said Conor wouldn't land a punch and I'm willing to put up a ton that says he will.

Are you gonna put your money where your mouth is or not?

No . I wouldnt bet big money on this . Still think this could be an exhibition bout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Define punch

punch

verb
    strike with the fist.
    "he punched her in the face and ran off"
    synonyms: hit, strike, knock, thump, thwack, jab, cuff, clip, smash, slam, welt; More
    press (a button or key on a machine).
    "I punched the button to summon the lift"
    noun
    a blow with the fist.
    "he reeled under the well-aimed punch"
    synonyms: blow, hit, knock, thump, thwack, box, jab, fist, cuff, clip, smash, slam, welt, straight, uppercut, hook, body blow; More

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No . I wouldnt bet big money on this . Still think this could be an exhibition bout

Boxing purists:

This fight is a joke. >>>

Money grab! Circus! >>>

MMA fans don't understand how complicated boxing is and how much time it takes to get good at it >>>

Floyd will make a fool of him. Conor won't land a punch!>>>

If Conor lands a punch it was pure luck. >>>

Floyd allowed him to land the punch! >>>

If Conor wins a round it's because Floyd wanted him to.>>>

This fight is probably rigged. If Conor wins it was a scam. >>>

It's fairly pathetic stuff has to be said.

If it was Conor v Floyd in the Octagon I can guarantee every one of us on our forum would keep it very simple:

Conor kills him inside 2 minutes. The end.

Boxing purists:

Money grab! Circus! >>>

MMA fans don't understand how complicated boxing is and how much time it takes to get good at it >>>

If it was Conor v Floyd in the Octagon I can guarantee every one of us on our forum would keep it very simple:

Well I could lie if you'd prefer that

Only thing I can be 100% sure of is barring injury Floyd wins .

Its up to Floyd how the night goes

Boxing purists:

Money grab! Circus! >>>

Your forum ? You take all this way too serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

I thought the idea of the fight being rigged had been put to bed (p)ages ago

@sweet science: how would you define a punch?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement