Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

cletus wrote: »
    I thought the idea of the fight being rigged had been put to bed (p)ages ago

@sweet science: how would you define a punch?

He would have to catch Floyd clean to the body or the head for me to say it was a punch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,097 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Your forum ? You take all this way too serious

I think you know he is right.

The mma folk would call it straight out if it was in the octagon.

The boxing fans for this fight have 100 different versions with excuses for all..

Look - when the poll is established we can all call it whatever way we think it will play out.

Anyhoo - I think the fact that Conor is used to getting 4 oz gloves smashed off his chin means that the 12 oz may be a little easier to handle. His practice session before fights consist of taking full contact punches from Artem ffs

Also, does anyone think that Kavanagh may be clever enough to come up with a blind side strategy for a win?

everlast75 wrote: »
    I think you know he is right.

The mma folk would call it straight out if it was in the octagon.

The boxing fans for this fight have 100 different versions with excuses for all..

Look - when the poll is established we can all call it whatever way we think it will play out.

Anyhoo - I think the fact that Conor is used to getting 4 oz gloves smashed off his chin means that the 12 oz may be a little easier to handle. His practice session before fights consist of taking full contact punches from Artem ffs

Also, does anyone think that Kavanagh may be clever enough to come up with a blind side strategy for a win?

I already said Floyd wins anyway he wants as their abilities are so far apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There only two versions from boxing fans, and there should be only two from MMA fans and fans of both sports.

Conor wins or doesn't win.

Conor has next to no chance barring a KO or injury.

Same if Floyd gets in the Octagon..

Wins or doesn't win.

Barring an injury to Conor or fluke KO, Floyd has next to no chance..

Any person from whatever side can't see this a fool.

All the other talk of arrangements and or dirty tricks is just talk and discussion.

This being a straight up fight on the level and Conor has a .1 percent chance to win

I'll give the same chance for Floyd in the Octagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

walshb wrote: »
    There only two versions from boxing fans, and there should be only two from MMA fans and fans of both sports.

Wins or doesn't win.

All the other talk of arrangements and or dirty tricks is just talk and discussion.

This being a straight up fight on the level and Conor has a .1 percent chance to win

D'you know, this is the first reasonable thing you've said in a while.

• Advertisement

Wins or doesn't win.

Well summed up . I can go back to watching love island now

D'you know, this is the first reasonable thing you've said in a while.

I've been saying it for pages now. Just disguised. Fed up waiting for the penny to drop..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Wins or doesn't win.

The whole "lucky punch" or "fluke KO" thing is pure nonsense.

There's no such thing as a "fluke KO". Even take the other night, people saying it was a fluke KO for Galore Bofando. Nope. He threw him on his head, anything that happens after that was a product of an intentional move.

Likewise Conor v Aldo.

The "fluke KO" angle is non-existent in both sports.

If Conor KO's Floyd or vice versa in the Octagon, it will be because they timed, executed and landed a punch to their opponents head.

Grand. Remove the word fluke..

Rest of my post stands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

I've been saying it for pages now. Just disguised. Fed up waiting for the penny to drop..

giphy.gif

Have to admit i do respect your views on things but just dont agree. but you are somewhat of a savage that fights there case and i can respect that

• Advertisement

We're motoring now Walshb good stuff.

Any of the boxing guys want to comment on the extension on Conor's elbow in his latest instagram post? It's the 3rd such picture he's posted.

Just trying to see what you's think of the technique. It's an unusual punch because I definitely haven't seen him land one quite like it in MMA off the top of my head, so is it possible they're working on it?

giphy.gif

Have to admit i do respect your views on things but just dont agree. but you are somewhat of a savage that fights there case and i can respect that

Thanks.

I'm always up for a good hard fought clean debate..

I can get a bit ratty and patronising at times, just like many others...

I don't take it personally.

Any of the boxing guys want to comment on the extension on Conor's elbow in his latest instagram post? It's the 3rd such picture he's posted.

Just trying to see what you's think of the technique. It's an unusual punch because I definitely haven't seen him land one quite like it in MMA off the top of my head, so is it possible they're working on it?

Honest question is it legal in boxing that the elbow comes behind the the hand intentional or not ?

Can you post the link please

I saw those. I have commented on Conor's reach and upper body mechanics when delivering his left hand. He has great flexibility and range and length.

His problem is speed. Not fast-venomous enough delivery I feel. Not for top quality boxing..and certainly not for a radar and reflex that Floyd possesses...

I follow him on Instagram..what exact picture is it?

Can you post the link please

2v7xfr7.jpg

I saw those. I have commented on Conor's reach and upper body mechanics when delivering his left hand. He has great flexibility and range and length.

His problem is speed. Not fast-venomous enough delivery I feel. Not for top quality boxing..and certainly not for a radar and reflex that Floyd possesses...

Do you think timing is a factor, alot of athletes are put off by call it off timing or apparent slowness. Yes we know Floyd is a better boxer but could he be put off enough to the point of frustration that Conor can land ?

For the circus everyone is calling it we must be the clowns debating it to paralysis by analysis.

Ok, that is the foto I was looking at.

Timing? In the boxing ring Conor's use of his feet and his anticipation-read capabilities should be completely shut down by Floyd's speed, variation, range and radar.

Don't be surprised to see Floyd consistently get off first and initiate attacks. He does this so well.

Conor will be far too preoccupied with Floyd!s speed and variation to use his timing effectively. This is just too different from the Octagon. The sheer closeness of an ATG to Conor will spook him. In range getting hit and with no time to even react or counter. Best hope is that he moves and kind of flees or he stays putt and covers up.

Other than this he can hope that Floyd just toys with him and switches off every so often allowing him to recuperate.

I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd tests Conor's power early..

Not allowing clean shots, but covering up and allowing Conor unload. If he feels this is Conor's best and he is not phased then he may go to town.

Always a risk he gets cocky and then leaves an opening where a clean shot from Conor ends it..

It's more wishful thinking than anything else..

But something for Conor fans to cling to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Boxing purists:

This fight is a joke. >>>

Money grab! Circus! >>>

MMA fans don't understand how complicated boxing is and how much time it takes to get good at it >>>

Floyd will make a fool of him. Conor won't land a punch!>>>

If Conor lands a punch it was pure luck. >>>

Floyd allowed him to land the punch! >>>

If Conor wins a round it's because Floyd wanted him to.>>>

This fight is probably rigged. If Conor wins it was a scam. >>>

It's fairly pathetic stuff has to be said.

If it was Conor v Floyd in the Octagon I can guarantee every one of us on our forum would keep it very simple:

Conor kills him inside 2 minutes. The end.

Summed up perfectly. But each scenario is still less bizarre on its own than this fight actually being put together. The fact they are alllumped in this thread makes them seem.ridiculous

As ive stated id love to see mcgregor win just because it would be outrageous.

Mma conor would do him in less than a minute imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

An injury worse than him losing one of his arms mid-fight at least....... right? :P
    ....a real way to explain the massive gulf in class/talent between Conor and Floyd at boxing is the perfect analogy that Floyd would still win if only allowed to use one arm/hand.
    ....by the way, Floyd still beats Conor with one arm/hand in a boxing ring!

Yes, it would have to be an injury worse than losing the use of one arm..

Floyd loses use of one arm and decides to fight on? I ain't backing against him..

Use of only left arm to punch? 80 percent favourite.

Use of only right arm to punch? 70 percent favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Having watched the diaz 2 fight again based on some talk earlier, I really think Mcgregor is going to be extremely conservative with energy. If he doesn't have a really nice shot in the first or maybe second round he is not going to unload much imo. His goal will shift to lasting the 12 rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Floyd loses use of one arm and decides to fight on? I ain't backing against him..

Use of only left arm to punch? 80 percent favourite.

Use of only right arm to punch? 70 percent favourite.

200_s.gif

• Holy **** 5 pages, boy that escalated quickly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,097 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Boxing fans talk about the gulf in cardio quality between them.

How long exactly does Conor need to reach Floyd's level exactly? That's if the boxing fans think it can be done at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Can't wait till mcgregor puts up some pics of him landing punches on malignaggi, everyone will be wondering did mcgregor ko him. Will malignaggi turn into chris van heerden and start defending himself.

Gamebred wrote: »

Esther Lin was back with her old employers Showtime for the Tour, so some of her work will be on the All Access. Which is great because she's the best, love her photos for MMA Fighting and she was a big part of Floyd's previous All Access shows.

Also, not sure if everyone knows this, but that thing about loyalty isn't just some gimmick with Conor. The Universal documentary coming out soon is basically a huge amount of footage from Gavin Fitzgerald. Him and Graeme McDonnell shot the original Notorious documentary for RTE but Gavin has been Conor's shadow ever since and AFAIK they're both heavily involved in this Universal film.

I like little things like that. When someone could easily afford 'better' but stuck with coaches/training partners/videographers/journalists because they were all there when he had nothing. What Conor did for Andrew, in particular, was such a nice thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I always wondered where the footage they were clearly capturing before Aldo and Mendes fights ect went to, makes sense now but they will have to cut so much good stuff up I reckon for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement