Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

John_D80 wrote: »
    Why didn't you say that in the first place then if that's what you meant instead of the tripe you posted previously.

Well, maybe when you learn to reply to a post correctly addressing it and its meaning (and not some other post and its meaning) we wouldn't be here, with you getting your knickers in a twist!

Simple: Quote correctly and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

walshb wrote: »
    Well, maybe when you learn to reply to a post correctly addressing it and its meaning (and not some other post and its meaning) we wouldn't be here, with you getting your knickers in a twist!

Simple: Quote correctly and go from there.

You made a comment on specific a picture of McGregor throwing a punch saying that his ribs/liver are exposed. Of course they are. His arm is outstretced in the act of throwing the punch.

Those ribs and sides look so exposed.

Try and backtrack and all you like but you were undeniably commenting on that picture.

I don't have the time to go point out your error. But it's there. One post that you quoted me on with a smart ass reply. Turns out your reply was not linked to my post at all. No need for me to backtrack. Anyway, we can just ignore each other, as it seems you are still smarting over my not being enamored by Conlan's post fight antics in Rio.

I am moving on now as no point in this derailing the thread...

I don't have the time to go point out your error. But it's there. One post that you quoted me on with a smart ass reply. Turns out your reply was not linked to my post at all. No need for me to backtrack. Anyway, we can just ignore each other, as it seems you are still smarting over my not being enamored by Conlan's post fight antics in Rio.

Of course my post was linked to your comment and you are backtracking. You commented on a specific picture with a comment that I consider to be of no value whatsoever.

FWIW I have no idea what you are talking about in reference to Conlon/Rio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

walshb wrote:

One can dream I suppose

• Advertisement

Of course my post was linked to your comment and you are backtracking. You commented on a specific picture with a comment that I consider to be of no value whatsoever.

FWIW I have no idea what you are talking about in reference to Conlon/Rio.

Your Conlan/Rio posts were quoting me. Quite exasperated that I didn't fit in with the crowd/mob that were all in approval of MCs post fight behavior in Rio.

No issue posting with you or debating/replying with you, but your instant on the attack type replies using words like "stupid post" only serves to create disharmony.

But, please do read back on the post you quoted. I didn't slate Conor for not protecting his sides whilst throwing. I simply said that he was left exposed. And that Floyd could exploit it...It's clear as day that you misinterpreted my post and assumed I was slating Conor for being exposed. So not true....

Your reply to me was straight on the attack, and it seems you interpreted my post as me slating Conor for being exposed whilst throwing a punch...

I can start fresh if you can...

Your Conlan/Rio posts were quoting me. Quite exasperated that I didn't fit in with the crowd/mob that were all in approval of MCs post fight behavior in Rio.

No issue posting with you or debating/replying with you, but your instant on the attack type replies using words like "stupid post" only serves to create disharmony.

But, please do read back on the post you quoted. I didn't slate Conor for not protecting his sides whilst throwing. I simply said that he was left exposed. And that Floyd could exploit it...

Your reply to me was straight on the attack, and it seems you interpreted my post as me slating Conor for being exposed whilst throwing a punch...

I can start fresh if you can...

Conlon/Rio: You have totally lost me here mate. Apologies if I have missed something or overlooked something earlier in the thread but seriously what are you on about and what does it have to do with this?

On topic: You honestly cant see the absurdity of making that particular comment on that particular picture? Which is exactly what you did.

Which leads to another point. Is being too ripped leaving your organs that bit more exposed to be hurt? Little bit of flesh here and there for absorption?

Conlon/Rio: You have totally lost me here mate. Apologies if I have missed something or overlooked something earlier in the thread but seriously what are you on about and what does it have to do with this?

On topic: You honestly cant see the absurdity of making that particular comment on that particular picture? Which is exactly what you did.

Look,

Let's call it a misunderstanding then.

For the record I was not criticising Conor for being exposed when throwing a shot. I was simply pointing out that he was. No different than many boxers who are exposed when in offense. I then said that Floyd could well exploit that exposure.

I also said in follow ups that Conor could exploit Floyd's exposure...

Floyd is not magic. He can be hit. But he is so good and slick that his exposure will not be near as obvious and clear as Conor's, as well as Conor not being as clever and sharp-adept as to exploit it. Floyd is the master here.

I also replied to another poster who was querying how a boxer can defend or not leave themselves exposed whilst in offence. Well, Floyd can do this at times. He is that good. James Tony was another who could do it. Duran too.

Of course, not all the time. Some times they get it wrong. They are humans, not magicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Floyd is not magic. He can be hit. But he is so good and slick that his exposure will not be near as obvious and clear as Conor's.

floydexposed77.jpg

Those ribs and sides look so exposed. McGregor by KO via right/left hook to the liver....

• Advertisement

Look,

Let's call it a misunderstanding then.

For the record I was not criticising Conor for being exposed when throwing a shot. I was simply pointing out that he was. No different than many boxers who are exposed when in offense. I then said that Floyd could well exploit that exposure.

I also said in follow ups that Conor could exploit Floyd's exposure...

Floyd is not magic. He can be hit. But he is so good and slick that his exposure will not be near as obvious and clear as Conor's.

Your comment on his potential exposure to body attacks was based on ONE still image of him throwing a punch. Seriously?

floydexposed77.jpg

Those ribs and sides look so exposed. McGregor by KO via right/left hook to the liver....

Yes, as I alluded to. He is not magic. He doesn't get it right all the time. And look at Manny's position here. Not in a position to exploit that...

I just don't believe that Conor will get the shot to do it. Floyd, even when exposed visually will likely not be exposed enough for Conor to counter. That is the gulf in class. It's not just being visually exposed, it's being in the danger zone where the foe can exploit this visual exposure.

Watch greats like Duran and Toney and Floyd when in offence mode. They are so talented and clued in and aware, that even when visually exposed they shut down their foes' abilities to exploit and land that clean shot...

Your comment on his potential exposure to body attacks was based on ONE still image of him throwing a punch. Seriously?

John, it was just one comment. You are taking this way too seriously. Picture, Conor extended, Conor looking ripped, Conor's body exposed.....end of. One picture and one simple reply.....and it leads here....?

It is not a diss on Conor, so no need to think that. Every boxer can be left exposed at times. That's boxing and combat...

Yes, as I alluded to. He is not magic. He doesn't get it right all the time.

But seemingly you expect Conor to be "magic" though.......
    Floyd, even when exposed visually will likely not be exposed enough for Conor to counter.

As I said before: Conor's reach of 74" will mean that when Floyd does throw a straight, he will likely be more exposed than he has ever been before....
    Watch greats like Duran and Toney and Floyd when in offence mode. They are so talented and clued in and aware, that even when visually exposed they shut down their foes' abilities to exploit and land that clean shot...

Do you really think MMA fans don't understand these kinds of things about boxing? There are all sorts of similar issues for fighters in mma you know, with regards to potentially being taken down, kneed or kicked if a punch is missed. Which is what made judging Conor's potential boxing ability on how he stood and threw his punches against Aldo a complete absurdity.... but it didn't stop you all a few weeks ago in the boxing forum. Quite frankly, from reading the threads it's far safer to say that mma fans have a far greater understanding and appreciation for the skills involved in boxing.... than vice versa.

But to get back to being exposed while throwing a punch, here's another three from the master....

282C32C100000578-3063123-image-m-68_1430432157714.jpg

28424_DD400000578-3065798-_Mayweather_makes_contac.jpg

48088.2.jpg

Thanks for the fotos, Pete. But what are you saying, or expecting me to reply with?

Floyd's body is exposed? Ok, so what?

Look closer and you can see that in all fotos the foe is not positioned to counter...

Like what I have been saying. Floyd can do this. He can be in offence mode, exposed and still safe from return fire. He is not alone as regards having this skill.

That's not to say every time Floyd was exposed that the the foes were not in positions to counter. Just in the fotos you have posted show how he is not in a position to be countered effectively.

I really have no idea what point you are trying to disprove or prove here.

Fotos of Floyd in offence mode with his body visually exposed......thanks....

And btw, I don't expect Conor to be magic, or anything else. Not sure where you pulled that from.

I am saying that I don't expect Conor to be able to exploit openings like Floyd. Hardly silly to think this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

But seemingly you expect Conor to be "magic" though.......

As I said before: Conor's reach of 74" will mean that when Floyd does throw a straight, he will likely be more exposed than he has ever been before....

Do you really think MMA fans don't understand these kinds of things about boxing? There are all sorts of similar issues for fighters in mma you know, with regards to potentially being taken down, kneed or kicked if a punch is missed. Which is what made judging Conor's potential boxing ability on how he stood and threw his punches against Aldo a complete absurdity.... but it didn't stop you all a few weeks ago in the boxing forum. Quite frankly, from reading the threads it's far safer to say that mma fans have a far greater understanding and appreciation for the skills involved in boxing.... than vice versa.

But to get back to being exposed while throwing a punch, here's another three from the master....

282C32C100000578-3063123-image-m-68_1430432157714.jpg

28424_DD400000578-3065798-_Mayweather_makes_contac.jpg

48088.2.jpg

What ??? You showed him connecting with 3 punches ? He is not exposed . He is exposed if he missed

Thats why i said under Conors picture he'd better hopes he lands.

If Floyd missed the target in them pics you posted he's in trouble.

What ??? You showed him connecting with 3 punches ? He is not exposed . He is exposed if he missed

Thats why i said under Conors picture he'd better hopes he lands.

If Floyd missed the target in them pics you posted he's in trouble.

Well, visually/pictorially he is exposed, but not in the danger zone to be countered.

Technically every time a boxer extends/throws they are exposed. The nuance here is how are they exposed? Are they safe and protected or open and not protected...

This is all I am debating and showing....

And if Conor's team are serious it's an area he should be working hard on. Limiting Floyd's chances to counter his exposure, and increasing his chances to counter Floyd's exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

walshb wrote:
    Look closer and you can see that in all fotos the foe is not positioned to counter...

You're point originally was that Conor was exposed and could be exploited.

Despite the opponent not being in a position to counter.

Yet your argument when Floyd is exposed is that the opposition cannot exploit it.

Does not compute.

VW 1 wrote: »

Despite the opponent not being in a position to counter.

Which opponent? Conor's in the foto?True, in that foto that opponent was not positioned to counter....

I never said otherwise

I am talking about Floyd being the opponent. Big difference...

Floyd would likely be in positions to counter that exposure. Simple as ch1ps!

VW 1 wrote: »

Yet your argument when Floyd is exposed is that the opposition cannot exploit it.

I never said that....

I said at times he has been countered. He is not a magician....

Many times he has been in offence mode whilst in a safe position.

To suggest always is just silly, and something I never said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Which leads to another point. Is being too ripped leaving your organs that bit more exposed to be hurt? Little bit of flesh here and there for absorption?

There becomes a point when being leaner is a disadvantage rather than a benefit. For a few reasons, like protection, power etc. The "point" depends on the weightclass and even the specific sport.
    Example, runners benefit from leanness more than swimmer.

On a separate note. I was watching some old grappling videos. A few years back, before all of them. Ryan Hall frequently used Mayweather as somebody who's not magic, just simply does the right thing at the right moment.

This is an excerpt for an interview (not the video) where he makes a similar point
    Everybody can hurt everybody. Some people have a disturbing amount of power like Anthony Johnson will put you six feet under with his right hand, but for the most part, everybody has the capacity to hurt everyone.

But that's actually a very low bar to clear. If I punch Floyd Mayweather in the face, I know I can knock him out. We're the same size. He's not magic. Now, I guarantee if he didn't want me to hit him in the face, I wouldn't come within spitting distance, but it's not this mythical fan-speak 'chin' thing that no matter what people do to you, you don't fall over. Or, not matter what someone does to Marcelo Garcia, he gets out. I think if we look through the course of his matches or Roger Gracie's matches, Floyd Mayweather's fights, we can see the handful of times even against elite opposition that they were placed in true existential danger and that speaks to a specific approach that maybe we could or couldn't have.

Mayewather is neither magic nor indestructible..

Conor's chance is the KO chance, and for me I have a sneaky feeling the body KO is his best bet.....

Of course, very difficult to get it, but you never know, a collection of things happen and maybe Conor does it.

Thanks for the fotos, Pete. But what are you saying, or expecting me to reply with?

Floyd's body is exposed? Ok, so what?

Neither was Conor's sparring partner......... THAT was the point of the photos!
    I really have no idea what point you are trying to disprove or prove here.

Really? You don't understand the point of my mock judging Floyd on being exposed when you just had done the same to McGregor......... you don't understand the point of that?? :P
    And btw, I don't expect Conor to be magic, or anything else. Not sure where you pulled that from.

When shown that Floyd is sometimes exposed when throwing a straight punch (in a similar way to which Conor was) you said he 'wasn't magic'........ which thereby suggests (given that you condemned McGregor for being exposed while he was throwing a straight punch) that you expect him to be magic.
    I am saying that I don't expect Conor to be able to exploit openings like Floyd. Hardly silly to think this.

No, you were commenting on McGregor's exposure in a photo......... you were not commenting on his offensive skills (or lack of them) when others were exposed while attacking him.

You're waffling mate.

Neither was Conor's sparring partner......... THAT was the point of the photos!

Yes, and Floyd is not Conor's sparring partner. Floyd exposes these openings better than some nobody sparring partner...

I never once even mentioned the sparring partner.....

So for the record if Conor is exposed and in the danger zone then Floyd is the man to make him pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

So in summation, exposing yourself leaves you open to the counter. Riveting stuff....

Basically when McGregor throws a punch he is exposed to a counter shot to the body. Floyd is too but because he is Floyd he will out-floyd the opponent and Floyd his way out of it.

Obviously we as mere MMA fans cant comprehend the intracacies of floyd and should bow to the superior analytical abilities of those that can ascertain these inalienable facts from single still images of a person they have never seen train or compete in the sport of boxing.

Ush1 wrote: »
    So in summation, exposing yourself leaves you open to the counter. Riveting stuff....

I wouldn't go as far as to call it riveting...

or compete in the sport of boxing.

Well, that would apply to everyone, as to date he has not ever competed in the sport of pro boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Eddie Alvarez:

"Anybody who doesn't think Conor can KO Floyd in the first 4 rounds is a complete idiot. Rounds 5 through 12 the technical boxing difference will see Floyd pull away but Conor has a good chance to do something early."

Eddie's attending the fight and sitting front row thanks to a very rich developer friend he bought his house from, who invited him.

Also says he was glued to the Press Tour. "Conor won the Tour. Floyd isn't very intelligent, just repeated the same stuff, Conor is far more witty. I said to my wife, I wish I could be funny like Conor but it's just not me."

On racism: "It's up to the public to decide if they're offended by anything Conor said but racism sells more PPV's so they probably just sold a bunch more if people do think it's racism".

• Advertisement

Well, that would apply to everyone, as to date he has not ever competed in the sport of pro boxing.

True but not too many are making wild assumptions based on single still images of him in training.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement