Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

John_D80 wrote: »
    True but not too many are making wild assumptions based on single still images of him in training.

What assumptions?

That the career great Floyd could counter him when he leaves himself open?

I'd call that on the money...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

walshb wrote: »
    What assumptions?

That the career great Floyd could counter him when he leaves himself open?

I'd call that on the money...

You have absolutely no reason or evidence to suspect he would be any more open than anyone else. But one glance at a picture of him in training is enough to convince you otherwise it seems.

Massive leap there.

John_D80 wrote: »
    You have absolutely no reason or evidence to suspect he would be any more open than anyone else. But one glance at a picture of him in training is enough to convince you otherwise it seems.

Massive leap there.

I just said he was exposed in the foto. I never said Floyd exposes him right there and then in that foto. I just said that he was exposed...

Anyway, to really make a call on that foto and instance one would need to put Floyd in the ring.

So it's all just speculation...

The key, however is that Floyd will be far more skilled and adept at exploiting these situations than Conor...

If folks cannot see that then folks are stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I just said he was exposed in the foto. I never said Floyd exposes him right there and then in that foto. I just said that he was exposed...

Anyway, to really make a call on that foto and instance one would need to put Floyd in the ring.

So it's all just speculation...

The key, however is that Floyd will be far more skilled and adept at exploiting these situations than Conor...

If folks cannot see that then folks are stupid...

Judging by this and most of your recent comments in this thread, it seems you can pretty much predict exactly how this fight is going to go round by round.

Its great to have such an expert grace us with his presence. You've saved us a fortune in PPV charges seeing as we know now how this fight is going to go and we dont have to shell out for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Eddie Alvarez:

"Anybody who doesn't think Conor can KO Floyd in the first 4 rounds is a complete idiot. Rounds 5 through 12 the technical boxing difference will see Floyd pull away but Conor has a good chance to do something early."

I think that Eddie has pretty much nailed it there. That is probably the most accurate estimation of how this fight will be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think that Eddie has pretty much nailed it there. That is probably the most accurate estimation of how this fight will be.

God bless her but I really hope he isn't bringing his wife to the fight, she has some pair of lungs on her. Last thing we all need is her screeching for the entire fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I never once even mentioned the sparring partner.....

I never said you did :P
    So for the record if Conor is exposed and in the danger zone then Floyd is the man to make him pay.

For the record, if Floyd is exposed and in the danger zone then McGregor is the man to make him pay...... and given McGregor has a 74" reach (the longest of any of Floyd's previous opponents) that 'danger zone' is going to be a larger area than Mayweather has ever had to contend with before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

God bless her but I really hope he isn't bringing his wife to the fight, she has some pair of lungs on her. Last thing we all need is her screeching for the entire fight.

Well Eddie isn't fighting so I think we're safe! EDDDDDDDDIEEEEEEEEEE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I never said you did :P

For the record, if Floyd is exposed and in the danger zone then McGregor is the man to make him pay...... and given McGregor has a 74" reach (the longest of any of Floyd's previous opponents) that 'danger zone' is going to be a larger area than Mayweather has ever had to contend with before.

You don't think boxing ability and experience has anything to do with the "danger zone"?

Well Eddie isn't fighting so I think we're safe! EDDDDDDDDIEEEEEEEEEE

What if she's a closet Conor fan? CONNNNNNNNNNORRRR.

To be fair, Conor's niece is almost as bad. She has some voice on her as well.

• Advertisement

May well make Floyd pay...

But I have a feeling that even Floyd being in the zone and open, Conor will be either after taking a hit, or simply bamboozeld by it all....either covering up and fleeing or trying to shake off a shot or two...

May even be so bamboozled and shut down that he becomes completely gun shy!

People thinking that can't happen could be truly surprised. It's not nice getting punched in the face every time you make the slightest error. This isn't Diaz or Alvarez standing in front of Conor trying to hit him.

The gulf in class is just too massive really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

We're motoring now Walshb good stuff.

Any of the boxing guys want to comment on the extension on Conor's elbow in his latest instagram post? It's the 3rd such picture he's posted.

Just trying to see what you's think of the technique. It's an unusual punch because I definitely haven't seen him land one quite like it in MMA off the top of my head, so is it possible they're working on it?

Lads, this is nice to see.

I have been getting bent out of shape in here with some of the back and forth, and other posters have as well.

Its great to see this kind of exchange, and long may it continue.

But seemingly you expect Conor to be "magic" though.......

As I said before: Conor's reach of 74" will mean that when Floyd does throw a straight, he will likely be more exposed than he has ever been before....

Do you really think MMA fans don't understand these kinds of things about boxing? There are all sorts of similar issues for fighters in mma you know, with regards to potentially being taken down, kneed or kicked if a punch is missed. Which is what made judging Conor's potential boxing ability on how he stood and threw his punches against Aldo a complete absurdity.... but it didn't stop you all a few weeks ago in the boxing forum. Quite frankly, from reading the threads it's far safer to say that mma fans have a far greater understanding and appreciation for the skills involved in boxing.... than vice versa.

But to get back to being exposed while throwing a punch, here's another three from the master....

282C32C100000578-3063123-image-m-68_1430432157714.jpg

28424_DD400000578-3065798-_Mayweather_makes_contac.jpg

48088.2.jpg

Just on these, he is exposed but he is also landing and putting the other fighters in no position to counter. So its a calculated risk that he plays with exposing himself like that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In the same interview, he said it's his mate that is bringing him. His mate came into some money and is flying them both down in a private jet :)

Boom_Bap wrote: »

But Eddie has said nothing that any half brained fight fan wouldn't say.

We all know Conor's chance is the KO.

Everyone says this.

But it seems Eddie is implying that rds 1-4 will be competitive. Maybe they will be, but don't be at all surprised if they are dominant rds for Floyd, and even a stoppage within the first 4 rds.

I will say it straight. If Floyd shows up to perform in each rd he will utterly dominate each rd...

So not really sure what Eddie's point is is...

Conor's KO chance is there in all rds that he is there. We cannot know which rd(s) will present the most likely chances...it seems that maybe the first few rds, but we all think this. Longer it goes it's likely that Conor's KO chances deplete, but may not disappear.

Eddie: "Rounds 5 through 12 the technical boxing difference will see Floyd pull away."

Possibly, Eddie. But rds 1-4 could see Floyd pull away and end it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I think when Conor gets back to MMA, that left hand of his will be upgraded from "Bomb" to "Nuclear Bomb."

T'will be vicious.

So not really sure what Eddie's point is is...

His point (and his opinion) are the "experts" who say "Conor won't land a punch" are (in Eddie's words) "complete idiots" and Conor has a good chance to flatten Floyd in the first 4 rounds. Beyond that he sees one way traffic for Floyd.

That's both his point and his opinion.

His point (and his opinion) are the "experts" who say "Conor won't land a punch" are (in Eddie's words) "complete idiots" and Conor has a good chance to flatten Floyd in the first 4 rounds. Beyond that he sees one way traffic for Floyd.

Don't we all agree that Conor has a KO chance? I do. Even though it is very slim.

Possibly, Eddie. But rds 1-4 could see Floyd pull away and end it....

Exactly! The could is that Conors best chance is to end it in those 4 rounds and the longer it goes on, Conors chances of a knockout dissipate but not impossible.

Don't we all agree that Conor has a KO chance? I do. Even though it is very slim.

The likes of Max Kellerman and even yourself *at times* believe if Floyd is at his very best then Conor won't land anything clean in order to KO him.

Eddie just disagrees. He thinks Conor has a good chance of getting Floyd out of there early on even if Floyd at his best.

Nate sort of agreed with that assessment in that clip with Andre Ward a month or 2 ago.

Sure we shall see how it unfolds. Conor has his first sparring session with Paulie Malignaggi in around 3 or 4 hours from now, so will be interesting to see if we get any photos posted on Instagram or not!

• Advertisement

The likes of Max Kellerman and even yourself *at times* believe if Floyd is at his very best then Conor won't land anything clean in order to KO him.

Eddie just disagrees. He thinks Conor has a good chance of getting Floyd out of there early on even if Floyd at his best.

Nate sort of agreed with that assessment in that clip with Andre Ward a month or 2 ago.

Sure we shall see how it unfolds. Conor has his first sparring session with Paulie Malignaggi in around 3 or 4 hours from now, so will be interesting to see if we get any photos posted on Instagram or not!

I was wondering if the opposite would happen but it seems like Paulie doesn't have an Insta.

I would also be sure that the only camera allowed in there will be for McGregors team.

Gintonious wrote: »
    I was wondering if the opposite would happen but it seems like Paulie doesn't have an Insta.

I would also be sure that the only camera allowed in there will be for McGregors team.

The Showtime crew have a certain level of access as well.

Are they really idiots because they think it's possible that Conor does not land a punch?

I assume a punch is something that is clear to see and somewhat impacting.

Let us for argument's sake discount arms and shoulders and only include a clean head or body shot...

It's either he does land a punch or punches or he doesn't....

I just cannot call anyone an idiot because they think that it's possible that one of boxing's greatest ever defenders will avoid getting hit clean by a non pro boxer...

Now, if Eddie is being clever and it suits him to include arms and shoulders here then he likley is proved right, but really, that's just lame clutching.

The KO chance remains as long as they are boxing....that is a given. No need for Eddie to tell us this...

Floyd isn't Neo from The Matrix. He gets hit clean every single fight. There hasn't been a single fight from Floyd Mayweather where he doesn't get hit clean in the face or body. He's an amazing boxer no doubt about it but people talk about him as if he's got superpowers. He really doesn't. Every single BOXER has hit him clean. Right, so Conor isn't a professional boxer but a lot of people (like Eddie Alvarez) who know both sports believe Conor will land on Floyd, just like the other boxers did. That's just their opinion.

Take his most recent fight as a good illustration. It's the fairest fight to analyse because you're only as good as your last performance in fight sports.

At 0:19 Floyd throws a left hook and Berto finds a home for a crisp, short straight left counter that rocks Floyd's head back. Floyd visibly bites down on his gumshield after it.

At 0:59 Berto sneaks a right hook to the body against the fence under Floyd's guard. Landed flush.

At 1:23 Berto lands his best punch of the fight, a left-hand counter that landed clean and watered Floyd's eyes.

At 1:58 Berto throws a hybrid superman punch. Well that or his footwork was awful. Floyd was rolling with it but it still lands clean.

At 2:12 Berto lands a weird looking left-hand shot, looks more of a Stockton Slap but again lands clean.

At 2:38 Berto lands the 2 punch of his double left straight.

The positives for Conor looking at the Berto fight are that Floyd got hit cleanly and often - and nearly everything Berto landed clean was his left hand counter over Floyd's straight right.

The negatives are Floyd still made Berto hit fresh air for large chunks of rounds and still won the fight 117-111 or better on the scorecards.

My point is people have unrealistic rose-tinted goggles on when it comes to Floyd's defensive boxing. He's brilliant and the best but he's just a human. He lives on his chin at times just like any other boxer.

So, wonder, what will you count as a landed punch?

Floyd isn't Neo from The Matrix. He gets hit clean every single fight. There hasn't been a single fight from Floyd Mayweather where he doesn't get hit clean in the face or body. He's an amazing boxer no doubt about it but people talk about him as if he's got superpowers. He really doesn't. Every single BOXER has hit him clean. Right, so Conor isn't a professional boxer but a lot of people (like Eddie Alvarez) who know both sports believe Conor will land on Floyd, just like the other boxers did. That's just their opinion.

Take his most recent fight as a good illustration. It's the fairest fight to analyse because you're only as good as your last performance in fight sports.

At 0:19 Floyd throws a left hook and Berto finds a home for a crisp, short straight left counter that rocks Floyd's head back. Floyd visibly bites down on his gumshield after it.

At 0:59 Berto sneaks a right hook to the body against the fence under Floyd's guard. Landed flush.

At 1:23 Berto lands his best punch of the fight, a left-hand counter that landed clean and watered Floyd's eyes.

At 1:58 Berto throws a hybrid superman punch. Well that or his footwork was awful. Floyd was rolling with it but it still lands clean.

At 2:12 Berto lands a weird looking left-hand shot, looks more of a Stockton Slap but again lands clean.

At 2:38 Berto lands the 2 punch of his double left straight.

The positives for Conor looking at the Berto fight are that Floyd got hit cleanly and often - and nearly everything Berto landed clean was his left hand counter over Floyd's straight right.

The negatives are Floyd still made Berto hit fresh air for large chunks of rounds and still won the fight 117-111 or better on the scorecards.

My point is people have unrealistic rose-tinted goggles on when it comes to Floyd's defensive boxing. He's brilliant and the best but he's just a human. He lives on his chin at times just like any other boxer.

When you look at the full punch stats though, it does make Mayweather look as good as you say he doesn't though.

Total Punches Landed/Thrown
    thru 12
    Mayweather [232/410, 56%]
    Berto [83/495, 16%]

I think the lowest landed against Mayweather was 69 from Marquez. Mayweather landed 290 in that fight.

Of course he is going to get it, and the stats show that he does get hit. In comparison to how much he hits though, that does (to me at least) look like a superpower.

So, wonder, what will you count as a landed punch?

The same as Compubox.

Any punch that lands with force on your opponents head or torso.

So, for example:

Conor could throw a left hook, it bounces off Floyd's right shoulder and lands on Floyd's ear and rocks his head.

or

Conor throws a left straight which Floyd partially parries but it still carries through and lands.

or

Conor throws a punch underneath/over the guard or pierces the guard.

Basically anything that lands with force on the head or body.

If the punch is stopped at the shoulder or arm or deflected off target, i.e. Conor just punched his arm, that does not count. It needs to land with force on head or body to count. Tippy-tap punches in the clinch don't count either.

The same as Compubox.

Any punch that lands with force on your opponents head or torso.

So, for example:

Conor could throw a left hook, it bounces off Floyd's right shoulder and lands on Floyd's ear and rocks his head.

or

Conor throws a left straight which Floyd partially parries but it still carries through and lands.

or

Conor throws a punch underneath/over the guard or pierces the guard.

Basically anything that lands with force on the head or body.

If the punch is stopped at the shoulder or arm or deflected off target, i.e. Conor just punched his arm, that does not count. It needs to land with force on head or body to count. Tippy-tap punches in the clinch don't count either.

That is fair, and what I would go along with....

It's a lot more likely he lands using this criteria than not lands.

But I wonder is Eddie more implying lands where we can really see it and almost feel it? In other words not juts a compu box definition, which can have some sh1tty examples of landed punches, but a real decent shot that snaps the head.....

I can't see many, if not any of those should Floyd be on his A game.

Gintonious wrote: »
    When you look at the full punch stats though, it does make Mayweather look as good as you say he doesn't though.

Total Punches Landed/Thrown
    thru 12
    Mayweather [232/410, 56%]
    Berto [83/495, 16%]

I think the lowest landed against Mayweather was 69 from Marquez. Mayweather landed 290 in that fight.

Of course he is going to get it, and the stats show that he does get hit. In comparison to how much he hits though, that does (to me at least) look like a superpower.

It just looks to me like even the very best defensive boxers still get hit cleanly often in a 12-round fight. Whether Conor can actually land the left hand to put his lights out is a different discussion.

Conor surely knows he's going to be made to miss with an awful lot of shots but he knows that from MMA already. He only lands with about 35% of his shots in MMA and he'll need to be prepared mentally to understand he'd be doing phenomenally well to land with 20% against Floyd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,094 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hatton stopped a fight by a punch to the ribs of an opponent. Does Conor have that much power?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement