Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

walshb wrote: »
    That is fair, and what I would go along with....

It's a lot more likely he lands using this criteria than not lands.

But I wonder is Eddie more implying lands where we can really see it and almost feel it? In other words not juts a compu box definition, which can have some sh1tty examples of landed punches, but a real decent shot that snaps the head.....

I can't see many, if not any of those should Floyd be on his A game.

If you're talking the sort of punches that could possibly drop a man, then I doubt anybody (even myself) expect there to be more than 5 or 6 of those in the entire contest.

Conor isn't a one-punch KO-artist but he does have one-punch power. He dropped Aldo, Mendes, Nate and Eddie from single punches. From Conor's perspective the hope has to be he lands the left hand clean, drops Floyd and swarms him when he gets up to try finish him.

I think it's unlikely he lands the shot to put his lights out for the full 10 seconds. It'll be more a case of swarming on him if he can get him on wobbly legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It just looks to me like even the very best defensive boxers still get hit cleanly often in a 12-round fight. Whether Conor can actually land the left hand to put his lights out is a different discussion.

Conor surely knows he's going to be made to miss with an awful lot of shots but he knows that from MMA already. He only lands with about 35% of his shots in MMA and he'll need to be prepared mentally to understand he'd be doing phenomenally well to land with 20% against Floyd.

Of course they can be hit, I do agree on that one no doubt.

The thing with someone like Floyd is that he makes the opponent miss and punishes them a lot for it, hence his high hit rate against the opposition.

I would/could see Conor landing some punches, I sparred 2 pros last year in Vancouver and even I landed a few, but I was still battered by them. So I get what you mean when you say the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

everlast75 wrote: »
    Hatton stopped a fight by a punch to the ribs of an opponent. Does Conor have that much power?

The body shot he landed on Diego Brandao was sickening. That was the shot that truly ended that fight, not the left cross that finally put him down.

Check it out here. Around 1:00 mark. Really doubled him over with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

the boxing gang would nearly have you believe mayweather is fighting a golfer if you knew no better
    the lack of respect to mcgregor as a top level martial artist is crazy - as if mma is some sort of micky mouse game
    he is not a proven pro boxer but he is no mug

neil seery on off the ball last night - no bullsh1t from him as ever
    conor will cause plenty of problems but he cant see him lose but not by much
    only chance to win is early ko
    he is fighting a 40 year old , well past his best , but still excellent

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The body shot he landed on Diego Brandao was sickening. That was the shot that truly ended that fight, not the left cross that finally put him down.

I thought it was the reverse kick to his head, shown briefly at the 50/51 second mark that did Brandao in and the sequence shown from around 1:00 was where Brandao was already done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭xtal191

sc86 wrote: »
    the boxing gang would nearly have you believe mayweather is fighting a golfer if you knew no better
    the lack of respect to mcgregor as a top level martial artist is crazy - as if mma is some sort of micky mouse game

I dont think anyone including hardcore boxing fans are disrespecting him as an mma fighter, people are questioning his boxing ability which is fair cause he's never had a pro fight.

I don't think anyone is doubting his skill as an MMA fighter, he is a 2 weight champion.

Pro Boxing is a different game, I think thats where maybe people aren't giving him anything because he hasn't shown anything for it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

I really don't understand how anyone could take offence to people having that view . Its the only logical one to have until we proven wrong on August 26th .

Proven pro boxer ? He's not even a pro boxer . Conor will be embarrassed in there let's not kid ourselves

If people can't see that then their blinded by their appreciation of him as a man / mma fighter

Nobody thinks he is a mug BTW . He could be classed as a mug at boxing in comparison to Mayweather though . He obviously has good boxing skills but no at this level

xtal191 wrote: »
    I dont think anyone including hardcore boxing fans are disrespecting him as an mma fighter, people are questioning his boxing ability which is fair cause he's never had a pro fight.

yes but writing him off as having no boxing ability because he has no boxing record is madness

as i said this is not 30 year old mayweather

yes but writing him off as having no boxing ability because he has no boxing record is madness

How could that be madness ? I'd view that as the perfectly normal opinion to have until proven wrong

• Advertisement

He has striking ability, thats different from boxing. Boxing isn't about just throwing punches.

Proven pro boxer ? He's not even a pro boxer . Conor will be embarrassed in there let's not kid ourselves

If people can't see that then their blinded by their appreciation of him as a man / mma fighter

Nobody thinks he is a mug BTW . He could be classed as a mug at boxing in comparison to Mayweather though . He obviously has good boxing skills but no at this level

we dont really know whats going to happen - the boxing community are hell bent on saying this is over before its started which lets face it is what you hope happens but is by no means certain

for the record i dont care who wins - i just would like to see a decent fight and get entertain

the boxing guys will lose there minds if its anything other than a walk in the park for mayweather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

:eek:

paulietweet.jpg

Just kidding :P

we dont really know whats going to happen - the boxing community are hell bent on saying this is over before its started which lets face it is what you hope happens but is by no means certain

Would you have the same opinion if Mayweather stepped into the octagon ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

Sweet Science, walshb and Gintonious, is it safe to say you believe that if McGregor lands a clean shot that rocks Mayweather, it will only be because Floyd did not bring his 'A-game'

I'm 100% certain barring injury Mayweather wins with complete ease . Still can't understand how anyone could have an issue with that

Its the only normal way to think this pans out until proven wrong

cletus wrote: »
    Sweet Science, walshb and Gintonious, is it safe to say you believe that if McGregor lands a clean shot that rocks Mayweather, it will only be because Floyd did not bring his 'A-game'

I'd be the 1st to credit Conor

Would you have the same opinion if Mayweather stepped into the octagon ?

its totally different because boxing you have just your fists really to hurt opponent - mma you have so many more options

its a silly question
    mma has such a wider skill set you cant compare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

its totally different because boxing you have just your fists really to hurt opponent - mma you have so many more options

its a silly question

To be fair, you're as guilty as them, dismissing it like it's complete and utter nonsense.

• Advertisement

its a silly question

You didn't answer ?

To be fair, you're as guilty as them, dismissing it like it's complete and utter nonsense.

Exactly . For the record it should be dismissed . Its perfectly normal to think Floyd is embarrassed in a MMA fight .

Ah there was not that much power in that shot. Diego is already bent over so I wouldn't say it doubles him up. I think you're seeing a bit more than what's really there.

The finish was a bit odd like a lot of McGregor's UFC fights.

Nope, I would say well done, you hit like Maidana, Mosely and Judah.

I dont doubt that Conor has the power to trouble him, I just doubt that he will be able to land that flush shot that everyone brings up.

The "if" in your proposal is the important part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks for both of the responses. Yes the if is very important. For the record, as an mma fan, I think Floyd boxes the face off Conor, while making him whiff every heavy shot he throws.

However, I also don't believe there is such a thing as a lucky punch, so IF McGregor lands clean and stuns or rocks Floyd, I think he should get full credit for it

Thanks for both of the responses. Yes the if is very important. For the record, as an mma fan, I think Floyd boxes the face off Conor, while making him whiff every heavy shot he throws.

However, I also don't believe there is such a thing as a lucky punch, so IF McGregor lands clean and stuns or rocks Floyd, I think he should get full credit for it

Yeah I agree . people think I'd be mad if conor wins which is wrong . I just dont think he can

If he beats Mayweather by ko he's the greatest sportsman I've ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Yeah I agree . people think I'd be mad if conor wins which is wrong . I just dont think he can

Qft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The harder you work the luckier you get

If Conor goes out and swings massive shots like he did against Diaz he will gas quickly.

And on the cardio thing (not that you brought it up), I believe that Conor will have the cardio to last 12 rounds...BUT...what makes Floyd and other boxers so good with that is how they manage their energy. Not going full tilt for every round, taking their time, pacing etc. That can take years to get a hold of, thats the only area in the cardio zone that I would give an edge to Mayweather in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Thats exactly it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement