Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

I also think he will be a big part of the UFC over the next year. He isn't doing all them instagram pics with UFC logos all over the place for no reason. The UFC know they need to push the brand through McGregor while all eyes are on him now.

My prediction: the next McGregor UFC event will be in association with McGregor Sports & Entertainment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Middleweight title hahahahaha Wonder if you think he will ever fight for the 185 belt seriously pack it in combat sports isnt for you you've lost the plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Gamebred wrote: »
    Middleweight title hahahahaha Wonder if you think he will ever fight for the 185 belt seriously pack it in combat sports isnt for you you've lost the plot.

In all fairness, the exact same was said about the mayweather fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

If he somehow gets past Floyd, he will retire from boxing undefeated at 1-0 and go back to MMA.

Yeah, I think so too............. and if it does happen, I see him saying something like:
    'You see all those belts Floyd won....... yeah well there all now my belts now! He should give them to me. As I'm the only one that's beat him'

2DA2F3C300000578-0-image-a-1_1445453113293.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

D.Q wrote: »
    In all fairness, the exact same was said about the mayweather fight.

Totally different context man... come on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Gamebred wrote: »

Give me one good reason he won't try it one day? He walks around in the mid-to-high 170's as it is and will only get bigger as he gets older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

callaway92 wrote: »
    Totally different context man... come on

In fairness this time a year ago it was more believable that McGregor would fight at MMA middleweight than bag a fight with Mayweather in boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Give me one good reason he won't try it one day? He walks around in the mid-to-high 170's as it is and will only get bigger as he gets older.

Because he's not stupid and he knows he is not big enough or strong enough to compete at MW. Those lads are big and strong men. Conor would get badly beaten and hurt..

Be like Andre Ward fighting AJ!

walshb wrote: »
    Because he's not stupid and he knows he is not big enough or strong enough to compete at MW. Those lads are big and strong men. Conor would get badly beaten and hurt..

Ha! Of all the reasons you could have chosen, you came up with that one? That Conor would be afraid of being badly beaten and hurt??

He's boxing Floyd in a month.

He's clearly not afraid of getting beaten up or losing - regardless of money.

Try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

That is absolutely brilliant heel work from McGregor, both wearing the jersey and then shutting Green down completely.

Wonder, you're off your rocker about him ever fighting at MW.

• Advertisement

Ha! Of all the reasons you could have chosen, you came up with that one? That Conor would be afraid of being badly beaten and hurt??

Try again.

In a boxing match where he only has to worry about punches from a smaller man wearing 10 oz gloves who won't be able to do any thing other than punch him..

MW MMA fighters would wreck him.

He loses both, but MW MMA lads hurt him bad and brutalise him more.

Mayweather can hurt him, but likely stings him into submission.

You can't see the difference in the two scenarios?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Try again.

Floyd is 5'8" and walks around at circa 155lbs out of camp.

Luke Rockhold is 6'3" and walks around at 210lbs +.

Fighting floyd in boxing means you get beat up and lose on points or an accumulative damage tko in the middle rounds.

Fighting anyone ranked in the middleweight division means you get ragdolled and badly, badly hurt.

Conor's not going to win a WW belt, MW is pure fantasy stuff.

Wonder, you're off your rocker about him ever fighting at MW.
    Fighting anyone ranked in the middleweight division means you get ragdolled and badly, badly hurt.

Conor's not going to win a WW belt, MW is pure fantasy stuff.

Says who? Gastelum didn't get "badly hurt" and he's not even a big welterweight, nevermind middleweight.

You all have really short memories.

BJ Penn fought Lyoto giving him 34lbs. Lyoto weighed in at 225lbs and that was a really competitive, close fight. You can definitely score one of the rounds for Penn.

Kenny Florian fought at middleweight too, fair enough Diego Sanchez landed a bomb on him.

Of course it's not *fantasy* for Conor to one day fight at middleweight. I never said he would win the middleweight title. Fight for it? Sure. Who's gonna stop him? He can do whatever he wants in the UFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Look at the HW's, Lesner used to weigh in at the max of 265, fight night he must have been touching 290, what was Frank Mir? 220?? Mir beat him

Says who? Gastelum didn't get "badly hurt" and he's not even a big welterweight, nevermind middleweight.

You all have really short memories.

BJ Penn fought Lyoto giving him 34lbs. Lyoto weighed in at 225lbs and that was a really competitive, close fight. You can definitely score one of the rounds for Penn.

Kenny Florian fought at middleweight too, fair enough Diego Sanchez landed a bomb on him.

Of course it's not *fantasy* for Conor to one day fight at middleweight. I never said he would win the middleweight title. Fight for it? Sure. Who's gonna stop him? He can do whatever he wants in the UFC.

Kelvin is 5'9", Woodley is 5'9", Mark Hunt is 5'9". Conor is the same height as all of them but they are all MUCH bigger men than Conor and they'd all throw him around the cage for fun.

Rory McDonald is the same height as Nate Diaz but he was able to rag doll him because height and size are very different thing. Diaz is a tall light weight, Rory is a HUGE WW and wouldn't be a small middle weight.

You're looking at this as "Conor and Kelvin are the same size" they absolutely are not and never will be.

Conor talked about fighting Nate at 170 being a bad idea as Diaz is "so big" and a "monster". Against genuine WW's and MW's he'd be on a hiding to nothing.

If he fights for the MW belt wonder I'll send you to Vegas to see it.

Says who?

Some of us.

Who says he'll ever want to fight at MW, other than you? There has never been anything to remotely link him to realistically pursuing the MW strap.

Your original retort of "try again" to an expressed opinion was embarrassingly condescending. Your role as chief McGregor fanboy doesn't make your points any more or less valid then anyone else's.

I'm surprised Conor hasnt been slated for making fun of a real life domestic abuse case with this CJ stick, usually someone gets offended, actually surprised me bit of a cheap shot now that hes got the fight and they appear to like each other.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Look at the HW's, Lesner used to weigh in at the max of 265, fight night he must have been touching 290, what was Frank Mir? 220?? Mir beat him

Frank Mir when he was young and fit was 240+, he cut weight the last few years to make 265, and he beat Lesner because he's a high level BJJ player and one of the best submission artists in MMA history. It's not comparable at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

scudzilla wrote: »

Mir had a horse shoe up his ass that night :pac: that fight made me so happy, another Mazzagatti special watching Brock Tap about 7 times before stopping it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Kelvin is 5'9", Woodley is 5'9", Mark Hunt is 5'9". Conor is the same height as all of them but they are all MUCH bigger men than Conor and they'd all throw him around the cage for fun.

Rory McDonald is the same height as Nate Diaz but he was able to rag doll him because height and size are very different thing. Diaz is a tall light weight, Rory is a HUGE WW and wouldn't be a small middle weight.

You're looking at this as "Conor and Kelvin are the same size" they absolutely are not and never will be.

Conor talked about fighting Nate at 170 being a bad idea as Diaz is "so big" and a "monster". Against genuine WW's and MW's he'd be on a hiding to nothing.

All that was said about lightweights when Conor was fighting featherweight.....Alvarez would be the much bigger/thicker man, the fact is he looked small compared to McGregor in the octagon ......have you seen Woodley and him stand side by side

sonofenoch wrote: »
    have you seen Woodley and him stand side by side

Yes. Woodley is massive beside him.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    All that was said about lightweights when Conor was fighting featherweight.....Alvarez would be the much bigger/thicker man, the fact is he looked small compared to McGregor in the octagon ......have you seen Woodley and him stand side by side

Yes I have, Woodley looked like he weighed a lot more than him, because he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Conor fighting for MW titles. This is like long form versions of those 49-1 youtube comments.

Some of us.

Who says he'll ever want to fight at MW, other than you? There has never been anything to remotely link him to realistically pursuing the MW strap.

Your original retort of "try again" to an expressed opinion was embarrassingly condescending. Your role as chief McGregor fanboy doesn't make your points any more or less valid then anyone else's.

Conor himself said it in an interview with Andrew McGahon. He said he's bringing in middleweights fresh to spar and sparring with guys 180lbs-200lbs easy and that his plan is to keep eating, keep growing and collect belts.

That was before the Nate Diaz fights, his thinking may have changed since but he was 100% alluding to welterweight and middleweight.

Against genuine WW's and MW's he'd be on a hiding to nothing.

BJ Penn and Kenny Florian are very similar to Conor in frame and they both fought at middleweight and BJ fought at heavyweight if you're classing that Machida open-weight fight for what it is and he was very competitive.

Brian Ebersole fought at 155lbs, 170lbs, 185lbs, 205lbs and Heavyweight.

Kenny Florian fought at 145lb, 155lb, 170lb and 185lb.

Rumble Johnson has fought at 170lb, 185lb, 205lb and heavyweight.

Ivan Menjivar fought at 135lb, 145lb, 155lb and fought GSP at 170lbs.

Whether he can win or not, Conor can absolutely fight at 170lbs and 185lbs, for sure. As for his chances of winning against the current champions, I'd say he'd be favourite against Woodley and a slight underdog against Bisping.

Conor himself said it in an interview with Andrew McGahon. He said he's bringing in middleweights fresh to spar and sparring with guys 180lbs-200lbs easy and that his plan is to keep eating, keep growing and collect belts.

That was before the Nate Diaz fights, his thinking may have changed since but he was 100% alluding to welterweight and middleweight.

BJ Penn and Kenny Florian are very similar to Conor in frame and they both fought at middleweight and BJ fought at heavyweight if you're classing that Machida open-weight fight for what it is and he was very competitive.

Brian Ebersole fought at 155lbs, 170lbs, 185lbs, 205lbs and Heavyweight.

Kenny Florian fought at 145lb, 155lb, 170lb and 185lb.

Rumble Johnson has fought at 170lb, 185lb, 205lb and heavyweight.

Ivan Menjivar fought at 135lb, 145lb, 155lb and fought GSP at 170lbs.

Whether he can win or not, Conor can absolutely fight at 170lbs and 185lbs, for sure. As for his chances of winning against the current champions, I'd say he'd be favourite against Woodley and a slight underdog against Bisping.

You're in your own world, seriously.

As an aside, Bisping would be underdog against anyone in the top 5 in MW, he's a champion by pox only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Yes I have, Woodley looked like he weighed a lot more than him, because he does.

Well he would do given they were pictured together when McGregor was fighting at 145 and most recently 155

Woodley-McGregor.png

the huuuuuuge difference in size you're stating is not really there

You're in your own world, seriously.

As an aside, Bisping would be underdog against anyone in the top 5 in MW, he's a champion by pox only.

I never once said Conor would defeat a middleweight world champion.

I do believe that Conor would like to some day replicate what BJ and Kenny did by fighting in 4 weight classes.

If you think that's delusional then you should be calling BJ and K-Flo delusional too.

Of course he could fight at 185..

He could jump out of an airplane as well without a parachute...

But he'd get decimated...too short and not near big enough or strong enough to be a threat against a heap of MWs..

And he would not allow himself to be brutally beaten.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    But he'd get decimated...too short and not near big enough or strong enough to be a threat against a heap of MWs..

He's fought taller opponents many times.

Weight is where he'd struggle. I'd fancy Conor to do very well on the feet at distance against Whittaker, Romero, Bisping etc., he has reach advantages over the first two, where he'd be in trouble is if they got hold of him but similar comments apply to Khabib and Woodley at the lower weights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement