Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

K-Flo fought one fight at middle weight in a tournament back in the wild west days and got the **** beat out of him by Sanchez. He then fought two fights at welter weight while he was trying to drop weight to get to light weight and once he made lightweight fought 9 times in that division before cutting a drastic amount of weight to have a run at the feather weight championship before retiring when Aldo schooled him.

He was a natural light weight needed to learn how to cut weight properly before finding his real division. It's not comparable at all to a llight weight thinking he can go up and challenge, Florian KNEW he couldn't compete at MW and WW, that's why he DROPPED divisions. If Florian was trying to UP from LW the WW and MW he would have been delusional, the fact that he knew he needed to drop to be competitive proves it.

BJ Penn was just a psychopath and he got beat up in 6 of his last 10 fights before retiring and twice since his comeback because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

A "slight underdog" against Bisping? Come on ffs!

A "slight underdog" against Bisping? Come on ffs!

In the bookies he probably would be just a slight underdog because people who don't know better will back him.

In reality the 4 inch taller, 30lb+ heavier Bisping will just smack him around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

BJ Penn was just a psychopath and he got beat up in 6 of his last 10 fights before retiring and twice since his comeback because of it.

Yeah but you get the real sense with Conor that he wants to be remembered as the guy who fought in many weight classes and took on all-comers very much like BJ Penn.

It's very obvious he has his sights on the 170lb title, whatever about middleweight, but if he wins the welterweight title he sure as hell isn't defending it.

For Conor it's all about escalating challenges. Mendes ---> Aldo ---> RDA --> Lawler. That was the direction they were going until RDA pulled out.

So now it's more like Aldo --> Diaz --> Alvarez --> Mayweather --> Woodley?

I still have a hard time believing he's giving Ferguson or Khabib a shot and what's the next escalation otherwise? Welterweight title. A lot depends on Maia.

Yeah but you get the real sense with Conor that he wants to be remembered as the guy who fought in many weight classes and took on all-comers very much like BJ Penn.

It's very obvious he has his sights on the 170lb title, whatever about middleweight, but if he wins the welterweight title he sure as hell isn't defending it.

For Conor it's all about escalating challenges. Mendes ---> Aldo ---> RDA --> Lawler. That was the direction they were going until RDA pulled out.

So now it's more like Aldo --> Diaz --> Alvarez --> Mayweather --> Woodley?

I still have a hard time believing he's giving Ferguson or Khabib a shot and what's the next escalation otherwise? Welterweight title. A lot depends on Maia.

If he doesn't defend a belt at some stage his legacy will be the man who is afraid to lose a title.
    I think he'll fight Khabib or Ferguson just because the UFC will make him.

• Advertisement

If he doesn't defend a belt at some stage his legacy will be the man who is afraid to lose a title.

Going from Alvarez to Mayweather is an escalating challenge. Choosing to fight Woodley (or Maia) over Ferguson would be an escalating challenge.

If he was ducking challengers in favour of easier opponents I'd get it but he's picking harder, more challenging fights.

4 titles, 0 defences.

He's picking the low risk approach. If he loses to Floyd, so what, he was meant to. If he loses to Woodley (or Maia, or Wonderboy, or Lawlor or Nick Diaz), so what, they're a "200lbs monsters" and he's a light weight. It's a no lose proposition, he jumps the queue and gets a crack with zero downside.

Fight Khabib or Tony or whoever is #1 contender at LW and lose and the entire persona is gone, he'll have lost twice in a year and a bit against LW fighters. There's a much bigger risk to his brand and his legacy in actually defending a title than challenging up a division or doing a money grab exhibition boxing match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

4 titles, 0 defences.

I'd rather have 4 titles 0 defences than 1 belt 4 defences. History will say he was a 2 or 3 weight champ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think he'll fight Khabib or Ferguson just because the UFC will make him.

The UFC can't make him do anything.

If he said he wanted his next fight to be for the WW strap, they'd book it without hesitation.

I'd rather have 4 titles 0 defences than 1 belt 4 defences. History will say he was a 2 or 3 weight champ,

He won't be a 3 weight champion and when people talk about the greatest FW of all time, they'll talk about Jose Aldo's 9 year reign. When they talk about the greatest FW of all time they'll talk about Frankie and BJ because of their defences and history at the weight. Conor will be a footnote in how to sell a brand.

• Advertisement

If Conor actually decides to do that champions do and defend a title and then beat the likes of Khabib, Tony, Barboza, Gaethje and a few others then he'll be in the conversation for greatest FW ever, for now he's just another guy who beat Eddie Alvarez alongside Chandler, Aoki and Cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

4 titles, 0 defences.

He's picking the low risk approach. If he loses to Floyd, so what, he was meant to. If he loses to Woodley (or Maia, or Wonderboy, or Lawlor or Nick Diaz), so what, they're a "200lbs monsters" and he's a light weight. It's a no lose proposition, he jumps the queue and gets a crack with zero downside.

Fight Khabib or Tony or whoever is #1 contender at LW and lose and the entire persona is gone, he'll have lost twice in a year and a bit against LW fighters. There's a much bigger risk to his brand and his legacy in actually defending a title than challenging up a division or doing a money grab exhibition boxing match.

I've just been going through your post history to try find you say the same thing size/weight wise about Alvarez as you're saying about Woodley (haven't found it but reckon you must have) ....but by Christ what a downer you have on the guy, post after negative post on McGregor, have you ever had a positive to say? :D:D it's borderline obsession ....I also see you post in the Cork forum, me personally would never because I'm nowhere near Cork .......are you from that region? because I'm sensing a Cork/Dublin thing through all your negativity on Conor McGregor

If Conor actually decides to do that champions do and defend a title and then beat the likes of Khabib, Tony, Barboza, Gaethje and a few others then he'll be in the conversation for greatest FW ever, for now he's just another guy who beat Eddie Alvarez alongside Chandler, Aoki and Cowboy.

He's also just another guy who beat Aldo alongside Max Holloway.

Very easy to diminish someone's achievements if you really want to.

He's also just another guy who beat Aldo alongside Max Holloway.

Very easy to diminish someone's achievements if you really want to.

Beating Aldo was extremely impressive. Defending the belt once or twice would have been more impressive still.
    Max beating Aldo was also extremely impressive, especially after how Aldo schooled Frankie in his comeback after losing the title.

Both of them get props for beating the 9 year champion and one of the p4p GOAT fighters in MMA. I hope Aldo can come back from this but it seems his chin is gone now after Conor and Max both clocking him, hopefully I'm wrong.

Beating Eddie isn't as impressive as beating Aldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

scudzilla wrote: »
    Look at the HW's, Lesner used to weigh in at the max of 265, fight night he must have been touching 290, what was Frank Mir? 220?? Mir beat him
    Mir weighed in at 255

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I've just been going through your post history to try find you say the same thing size/weight wise about Alvarez as you're saying about Woodley (haven't found it but reckon you must have) ....but by Christ what a downer you have on the guy, post after negative post on McGregor, have you ever had a positive to say? :D:D it's borderline obsession ....I also see you post in the Cork forum, me personally would never because I'm nowhere near Cork .......are you from that region? because I'm sensing a Cork/Dublin thing through all your negativity on Conor McGregor

I was pretty much of the opinion that Conor could beat Eddie as Eddie is a brawler who's wrestling is over stated a lot and gets caught a lot in his fights.

I thought Eddie had no hope against RDA but from RDA's last few fights he looks like one of the more dramatic declines since UFC's introduction of The Golden Snitch.

BTW, I think Eddie's time as a UFC champion is over forever. I don't see him beating anyone ahead of him currently and I think Gaethje will murk him in December.

BJ Penn and Kenny Florian are very similar to Conor in frame and they both fought at middleweight and BJ fought at heavyweight if you're classing that Machida open-weight fight for what it is and he was very competitive.

Brian Ebersole fought at 155lbs, 170lbs, 185lbs, 205lbs and Heavyweight.

Kenny Florian fought at 145lb, 155lb, 170lb and 185lb.

Rumble Johnson has fought at 170lb, 185lb, 205lb and heavyweight.

Ivan Menjivar fought at 135lb, 145lb, 155lb and fought GSP at 170lbs.

Whether he can win or not, Conor can absolutely fight at 170lbs and 185lbs, for sure. As for his chances of winning against the current champions, I'd say he'd be favourite against Woodley and a slight underdog against Bisping.

Wonder, I think you are looking at records on paper too much and not the actual fights/fighters.

Brian Ebersole fought at HW in some backwater event verses some bum. He was at WW in the UFC. He's a huge guy.

BJ fought openweight. Not heavyweight. Lyoto was normal LHW sized. BJ was fat, he lost.

Rumble is huge. He is LHW sized.

Kenny was a WW prior to the UFC. His debut debut was officially 185 because it was the finale of TUF. But it wasn't a legitimate MW fight. Diego was a WW too. Men dropped down to WW after they fight.

Fighting bums in low level events is meaningless. Conor could go back to CW and fight at MW, not in the UFC.
    There are very few guys moving up 2 divisions and facing top 10 opponents.

It could be done. But he's need to keep USADA away and get on the Overeem horsemeat diet.

Mellor wrote: »
    There are very few guys moving up 2 divisions and facing top 10 opponents.

That's why I think Conor will try do it. He's always trying to chase bigger obstacles to overcome, he seems to thrive on people telling him "it can't be done". Nobody is saying "you can't beat Ferguson" but people would be telling him "you can't beat Maia", "you can't beat Whittaker" etc.

I never said he'd win, just that I think he'll try - starting with welterweight.

Here, he can't beat Whittaker but if my saying it makes it possible for me to watch Bobby Knuckles spark McGregor I'll start screaming it.

Lots of people are saying he can't beat Khabib (he can, of course he can), why not overcome that obstacle before getting ragdolled by Maia or Woodley.

BTW the middleweight thing seems to be nothing more than an invention of your imagination. Has he ever actually talked about it? If he has was it every in an actual conversation or a throw away comment to media? I don't think he's stupid enough to think he can actually get in the cage with men that big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Mod edit: <snip>..banned for month - dont rush back

• Advertisement

That's why I think Conor will try do it. He's always trying to chase bigger obstacles to overcome, he seems to thrive on people telling him "it can't be done". Nobody is saying "you can't beat Ferguson" but people would be telling him "you can't beat Maia", "you can't beat Whittaker" etc.

I never said he'd win, just that I think he'll try - starting with welterweight.
    That suggests why he might chase the WW title. If he defends 3 or 4 times at LW. Gets a bit bigger. I could well see him taking a shot at 170. That's not a completely ridiculous suggestion.

But as soon as you make it 170 & 185, it becomes ridiculous imo. There should be no mention on 185 until he has won at 170. And realistically, going down the CSAC route and splitting WW into 165 and 175 would be much more suitable.

That suggests why he might chase the WW title. If he defends 3 or 4 times at LW. Gets a bit bigger. I could well see him taking a shot at 170. That's not a completely ridiculous suggestion.

But as soon as you make it 170 & 185, it becomes ridiculous imo. There should be no mention on 185 until he has won at 170. And realistically, going down the CSAC route and splitting WW into 165 and 175 would be much more suitable.

There really should be a weight division every 10lbs until 205 at least and I think there needs to be a 220 or 230 class between 205 and 265.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Probably posted earlier but interesting Joe Cortez has been reffing Conor's sparring in the gym to make sure his game plan is legal and showing him to fight clean.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I've just been going through your post history to try find you say the same thing size/weight wise about Alvarez as you're saying about Woodley (haven't found it but reckon you must have) ....but by Christ what a downer you have on the guy, post after negative post on McGregor, have you ever had a positive to say? ...
    Here, he can't beat Whittaker but if my saying it makes it possible for me to watch Bobby Knuckles spark McGregor I'll start screaming it.

I had a rifle through a few posts, there's not a lot of positivity for poor old Conor from Marcos.

I'll convert him some day :)

It's only ridiculous to suggest he can win the middleweight title (which I never did) but IMO far from ridiculous that he attempts it during his career. It's not as if he would have to work his way through a murderers row to get a title shot.

I re-watched his interview with Andrew pre-RDA-fight and he seemed genuinely serious in his own mind about going welterweight then middleweight in his future. Obviously that interview was pre-Nate-fights so his feelings may have changed since then.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Probably posted earlier but interesting Joe Cortez has been reffing Conor's sparring in the gym to make sure his game plan is legal and showing him to fight clean.

Did you see the video John was looking at on instagram (I think)? Maybe he was asking is it legal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Did you see the video John was looking at on instagram (I think)? Maybe he was asking is it legal?

No didnt see that only seen a video pop up on youtube with him,

I must say I found the lads insta stories gas as they were in lv fight shop and signed Conor shorts are there on sale for 1200 dollars.

Gamebred wrote: »
    No didnt see that only seen a video pop up on youtube with him,

John posted a video of himself watching a particular sequence from Maidana-Mayweather on repeat.

I found the sequence it's this bit here from 44:03 to 44:15

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

John posted a video of himself watching a particular sequence from Maidana-Mayweather on repeat.

I found the sequence it's this bit here from 44:03 to 44:15

What would you reckon would be the relevance of that sequence?

• Advertisement

BTW the middleweight thing seems to be nothing more than an invention of your imagination. Has he ever actually talked about it? If he has was it every in an actual conversation or a throw away comment to media? I don't think he's stupid enough to think he can actually get in the cage with men that big.

He's mentioned fighting middleweights on a few separate occasions, such as his interview with Ariel in Manchester earlier this year:
    What the fcuk is Anderson Silva talking about? He keeps mentioning my name over and over again. Look, I’ll fight any one of them. Make sure the numbers are right, make sure the situation is right.

He also told Andrew McGahon (Feb 2016) that he was sparring 200lb'ers in the gym and "fresh middleweights" and that he "will keep eating, keep growing, keep collecting belts".

It'd all be about timing. If Woodley beats Maia and gets on the mic calling Conor out, it'd put him in pole position. Khabib and Ferguson are doing nothing, Eddie and Gaethje are tied up (TUF Finale is December). If Maia wins, common sense would dictate Conor would need to be crazy to take that fight but on the other hand it'd be a big challenge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement