Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Django99 wrote: »
    What would you reckon would be the relevance of that sequence?

Well if Maidana isn't getting docked points for (effectively) landing a takedown from the clinch, then maybe that's something they're looking at employing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There really should be a weight division every 10lbs until 205 at least and I think there needs to be a 220 or 230 class between 205 and 265.
    I agree completely.
    I can see 165 and 175 happening in the future. 195 might be a harder sell but they should at least reconfigure MW-HW to remove the 20lb jump

165/175/185/200/220
    165/175/190/205/220

That said, a 220 division ruins the HW division.

Mellor wrote: »
    I agree completely.
    I can see 165 and 175 happening in the future. 195 might be a harder sell but they should at least reconfigure MW-HW to remove the 20lb jump

165/175/185/200/220
    165/175/190/205/220

That said, a 220 division ruins the HW division.

Also, if the UFC wants to get serious about weight cutting there's one easy way to actually rejig the divisions that both adds an intermediate weight class and sees fighters compete at more natural weights.

Change the weight classes to:

135/145/155/165/175/190/205/225

Champs at the new weight classes:

MM - 135
    Cody - 145
    Holloway - 155
    Conor - 165
    Woodley - 175
    Bisping - 190
    DC - 205
    Stipe - 225

That wouldn't solve the problem at heavyweight but it would at least see most champions fighting closer to their actual weight.

It would solve so much in one swoop, in the short term anyway, and if they compounded that with new stricter weight-cut guidelines like the CSAC proposals, they'd be flying.

Won't happen though, Dana isn't going to push anything drastic through unless/until someone dies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

He's mentioned fighting middleweights on a few separate occasions, such as his interview with Ariel in Manchester earlier this year:

Come on, surely you can see that this is nothing more than bluster? He said in the build up to 205 (I think) that he fights at "all weight classes". That doesn't mean he's going to be calling out Stipe for the HW belt.
    Won't happen though, Dana isn't going to push anything drastic through unless/until someone dies.

Would it not be up to the athletic commissions and the ABC to push it through? Obvs they're all in cahoots with the promoters, in this case Dana, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Can you imagine Conor in a cage with Rockhold?

People thought the size difference with Kelvin and Weidman was jarring...

Magnificent work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Well if Maidana isn't getting docked points for (effectively) landing a takedown from the clinch, then maybe that's something they're looking at employing.

I really fail to see how that would help him in a boxing match, Maidana was behind on the score cards at that stage and was going for broke.

If he had kept doing it, then he would be docked points for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Gintonious wrote: »

I really fail to see how that would help him in a boxing match, Maidana was behind on the score cards at that stage and was going for broke.

If he had kept doing it, then he would be docked points for sure.

I suppose we all accept Conor has even less chance of winning on the cards than any other method.

A few fouls and points docked shouldn't really matter, as long as he doesn't persistently do the same thing and get DQ'd.

Its all pretty academic really but suppose it's a different approach. Just find any way to get the opening for his left hand shot and get it to land. Its optimistic anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

33 days....33 days lads and this ****e will all be over!

• Advertisement

I suppose we all accept Conor has even less chance of winning on the cards than any other method.

A few fouls and points docked shouldn't really matter, as long as he doesn't persistently do the same thing and get DQ'd.

Its all pretty academic really but suppose it's a different approach. Just find any way to get the opening for his left hand shot and get it to land. Its optimistic anyways.

Well to be honest, the fact that a poster in here has suggested that that might be a "tactic" that he might use speaks volumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Also, if the UFC wants to get serious about weight cutting there's one easy way to actually rejig the divisions that both adds an intermediate weight class and sees fighters compete at more natural weights.

Change the weight classes to:

135/145/155/165/175/190/205/225

Champs at the new weight classes:

MM - 135
    Cody - 145
    Holloway - 155
    Conor - 165
    Woodley - 175
    Bisping - 190
    DC - 205
    Stipe - 225

That wouldn't solve the problem at heavyweight but it would at least see most champions fighting closer to their actual weight.

It would solve so much in one swoop, in the short term anyway, and if they compounded that with new stricter weight-cut guidelines like the CSAC proposals, they'd be flying.

This doesn't make sense at all. Most heavy weight top 10 wouldn't make the cut to 220 especially bot Steipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Does Stipe not fight at his walk-around weight which is around 240-245?

This doesn't make sense at all. Most heavy weight top 10 wouldn't make the cut to 220 especially bot Steipe.

I presume it's 225+

I meant (either) 220-260 or 225-265.
    Would it not be up to the athletic commissions and the ABC to push it through? Obvs they're all in cahoots with the promoters, in this case Dana, I guess.

The ABC are a symbolic body, they have no authoritative or legislative powers, they can only make suggestions.

Athletic commissions can't force promoters to adopt weight classes either or prevent them from abolishing weight classes. Atomweight has been a real thing for quite a while but the commissions can't force the UFC or Bellator to adopt it. The UFC could also get rid of flyweight if they wanted and the commissions can't do anything.

What Big John wants is 105 (w), 115, 125, 135, 145 (m+w), 155 (m+w), 165, 175, 185, 195, cruiserweight 205-230 and heavyweight 231-265 with superheavyweight 266-290.

Part of the UFC's refusal is financial I guess. More weight classes = more fighters to pay, adding extra fights to cards or adding more events, and they feel it might dilute the product (like boxing) if you have 12 champions in the mens weight classes and 5 female champions as opposed to the 8 and 2 we have now.
    Gintonious wrote: »
    Well to be honest, the fact that a poster in here has suggested that that might be a "tactic" that he might use speaks volumes.

I didn't suggest anything. John Kavanagh posted a video watching the sequence on repeat, that suggested they're looking at it.

dashoonage wrote: »
    33 days....33 days lads and this ****e will all be over!
    Until the rematch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

Gamebred wrote: »
    No didnt see that only seen a video pop up on youtube with him,

John posted a video of himself watching a particular sequence from Maidana-Mayweather on repeat.

I found the sequence it's this bit here from 44:03 to 44:15

Where did jk post it?

Clinch/wrestle moves.more mind games.interested to see how it plays out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

LHW and HW divisions are too thin already as it is. How many fighters do you think would be in the 266+ division? It'll just dilute the quality imo.

I notice Malignaggi made some twitter comments about his philosophy regarding hard sparring (he thinks it's essential). This is presumably at odds with SBG and Kavanagh's philosophy. He also mentioned he wasn't picked for sparring today and has seemingly left the camp for a week.

I wonder if there have been some creative differences between him and Kavanagh regarding hard sparring in Conor's camp.

HattrickNZ wrote: »
    Where did jk post it?

Clinch/wrestle moves.more mind games.interested to see how it plays out.

Think it was on his Instagram story. In my opinion some rough clinch-work is probably one of Conor's best options. Use his size and strength advantage to setup a sudden break from the clinch where he can try to land a clean shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Think it was on his Instagram story. In my opinion some rough clinch-work is probably one of Conor's best options. Use his size and strength advantage to setup a sudden break from the clinch where he can try to land a clean shot.

Strength advantage? You sure he has it in a boxing ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

LHW and HW divisions are too thin already as it is. How many fighters do you think would be in the 266+ division? It'll just dilute the quality imo.

Agreed. Definitely no need for more than one weight class above 205 lbs. HW should be unlimited as it is in my opinion. I wouldn't actually being in any more weighclasses to be honest, I like the fact that there are a small number as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I notice Malignaggi made some twitter comments about his philosophy regarding hard sparring (he thinks it's essential). This is presumably at odds with SBG and Kavanagh's philosophy. He also mentioned he wasn't picked for sparring today and has seemingly left the camp for a week.

I wonder if there have been some creative differences between him and Kavanagh regarding hard sparring in Conor's camp.

No creative differences

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/889388788950081536

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Athletic commissions can't force promoters to adopt weight classes either or prevent them from abolishing weight classes. Atomweight has been a real thing for quite a while but the commissions can't force the UFC or Bellator to adopt it. The UFC could also get rid of flyweight if they wanted and the commissions can't do anything.
    They can't force them to use every possible division - would be silly if they could, especially for smaller lromotions. But they could decide to stop sanctioning 170 and leave only 165 or 175 as options.

walshb wrote: »
    Strength advantage? You sure he has it in a boxing ring?

Well I can't be sure but I would've said yes in the clinch because he's bigger, has big strong legs and is trained at wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well I can't be sure but I would've said yes in the clinch because he's bigger, has big strong legs and is trained at wrestling.

I wouldn't be so quick to label Conor "stronger".

It's a gray area anyway. Depends a lot on what the combatants are doing.

Technique/skill can always be part of one's strength.

Now, raw strength is a little different.....

The whole term can have several similar definitions and meanings that apply to different scenarios...

As for boxing clinching....Well, I would be somewhat confident that Floyd is not out muscled or manhandled in these clinches, and likely uses his better experience/technique and skills to win the battle of the clinches, should they present themselves.

I'd actually advise a non boxer to not get too involved in clinching with a boxer...

I didn't suggest anything. John Kavanagh posted a video watching the sequence on repeat, that suggested they're looking at it.

Fair enough, lets hope they aren't, for the sake of us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Don't like that snake in the grass Joe Cortez having any involvement with McGregor's camp. Just look how he reffed Hatton's fight with Mayweather. Didn't allow Hatton to do any work on the inside. Kept jumping in like a chaperone at a teenage disco.

Mayweather often claims to have spies in other fighter's camps. Wouldn't surprise me if Cortez is telling tales outside of school.

That tweet came after he says "I was not sparring because I was not picked to spar today."

He didn't say "I was not sparring today because I had to fly to New York". Just the way he worded it makes it sound like he was available and not picked. That's a little odd don't you think?

And shortly after the first spar he's taken to twitter to have an extended back and forth about the importance of hard sparring. I just think it's a bit coincidental. My guess is that he's come in and sparred hard and Kavanagh told him to wind it back a bit and they had an argument about the pros and cons of hard sparring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

IIRC they knew he had to go away this week as he's working, but they agreed.

Edit: nevermind saw your later post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement