Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

walshb wrote: »
    As for boxing clinching....Well, I would be somewhat confident that Floyd is not out muscled or manhandled in these clinches, and likely uses his better experience/technique and skills to win the battle of the clinches, should they present themselves.

I'd actually advise a non boxer to not get too involved in clinching with a boxer...

Well you're gonna love this so...

"Mayweather's clinch is completely novice compared to Conor's"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I wouldn't be so quick to label Conor "stronger".

It's a gray area anyway. Depends a lot on what the combatants are doing.

Technique/skill can always be part of one's strength.

Now, raw strength is a little different.....

The whole term can have several similar definitions and meanings that apply to different scenarios...

As for boxing clinching....Well, I would be somewhat confident that Floyd is not out muscled or manhandled in these clinches, and likely uses his better experience/technique and skills to win the battle of the clinches, should they present themselves.

I'd actually advise a non boxer to not get too involved in clinching with a boxer...

Conor is used to a thai clinch in 4 ounce gloves with free fingers for grip and the added danger of knees and elbows, clinch if its let happen is one of the only advantages conor takes into this fight.

Also not super up on the more obscure boxing rules but if conor were to throw floyd to the ground from a clinch thats obviously not counted as a knockdown right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'll wait until Aug 26 to claim that the non boxer out clinches or is the better clincher than the boxer in boxing clinching.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Depp wrote: »
    Conor is used to a thai clinch in 4 ounce gloves with free fingers for grip and the added danger of knees and elbows, clinch if its let happen is one of the only advantages conor takes into this fight.

Also not super up on the more obscure boxing rules but if conor were to throw floyd to the ground from a clinch thats obviously not counted as a knockdown right?

Nope, it wouldn't be, he would probably get docked for it also.

I am sure if he fancies his chances in the clinch, he will be practising in 10oz gloves. A bit factor on this though will be the ref, some refs break it up very quickly.

Depp wrote: »

I take it this is a joke question?

• Advertisement

That tweet came after he says "I was not sparring because I was not picked to spar today."

He didn't say "I was not sparring today because I had to fly to New York". Just the way he worded it makes it sound like he was available and not picked. That's a little odd don't you think?

And shortly after the first spar he's taken to twitter to have an extended back and forth about the importance of hard sparring. I just think it's a bit coincidental. My guess is that he's come in and sparred hard and Kavanagh told him to wind it back a bit and they had an argument about the pros and cons of hard sparring.

Complete opposite imo.

You're right that SBG normally focus on lighter sparring but for Conor to see if his gameplan could possibly work they will need guys swinging for the fences in sparring. They don't really need that in MMA because they've plenty of evidence that Conor's gameplans work in the UFC (1 defeat).

As for Paulie, AFAIK Conor has 6 sparring partners with him right now if you're including Artem, I don't think it'd be unusual for him to be sparring them in a rotation. Dashon Johnson and Tiernan Bradley would probably be in better shape than Paulie to push the pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Gintonious wrote: »
    Nope, it wouldn't be, he would probably get docked for it also.

Thought as much!

Tickets go on sale 10am tomorrow (ET). It'll be hard to beat the MayPac time because that sold out in under 60 seconds and the tickets were only released during fight week, but I'm still expecting it to sell-out within hours.

If it sells out, because of the price points, it automatically breaks the Mayweather Pacquiao world record gate of $72.1 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Tickets go on sale 10am tomorrow (ET). It'll be hard to beat the MayPac time because that sold out in under 60 seconds and the tickets were only released during fight week, but I'm still expecting it to sell-out within hours.

If it sells out, because of the price points, it automatically breaks the Mayweather Pacquiao world record gate of $72.1 million.

Ticketmaster or what?

dashoonage wrote: »
    Ticketmaster or what?

Yes, Ticketmaster. 2 per person maximum.

Edit: If you're a #VerifiedFan on Ticketmaster then the limited Fan Release is today at 6pm, with the general release being tomorrow at 6pm (Irish time for both)

Edit 2: I totally messed this up, sorry.

All tickets on sale TODAY. 6pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone on here actually getting tix?

Yes, Ticketmaster. 2 per person maximum.

Edit: If you're a #VerifiedFan on Ticketmaster then the limited Fan Release is today at 6pm, with the general release being tomorrow at 6pm (Irish time for both)

Edit 2: I totally messed this up, sorry.

All tickets on sale TODAY. 6pm.

Wonder wtf is going on! :D

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Im getting two sets of wolf tickets.....#cantwait

dashoonage wrote: »
    Wonder wtf is going on! :D

Haha I know I made a pigs ear of it. Could have sworn today was the 23rd even though it quite clearly is the 24th.

From what I'm reading there are only 800 tickets in the $500 price range (which is the cheapest ticket). The other 17,200 are $1,000 - $10,000.

(That's probably more wrong information because I'm having a mare today!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

He won't be a 3 weight champion and when people talk about the greatest FW of all time, they'll talk about Jose Aldo's 9 year reign. When they talk about the greatest FW of all time they'll talk about Frankie and BJ because of their defences and history at the weight. Conor will be a footnote in how to sell a brand.

Have to disagree with you there, wether for better or worse McGregor will be remembered long after Aldo or Edgar.

As for Aldo as best ever, I think he was until he got beaten by the greatest fighter in ufc....... Usada

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

He won't be a 3 weight champion and when people talk about the greatest FW of all time, they'll talk about Jose Aldo's 9 year reign. When they talk about the greatest FW of all time they'll talk about Frankie and BJ because of their defences and history at the weight. Conor will be a footnote in how to sell a brand.

Have to disagree with you there, wether for better or worse McGregor will be remembered long after Aldo or Edgar.

As for Aldo as best ever, I think he was until he got beaten by the greatest fighter in ufc....... Usada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,227 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Zero-Cool wrote: »

You have to be a Verfied Fan to get a code to buy tickets and its very difficult to get one as they prioritise US residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I'll wait until Aug 26 to claim that the non boxer out clinches or is the better clincher than the boxer in boxing clinching.....

What's the difference between boxing clinching and mma clinching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

H8GHOTI wrote: »

Everything. Body position, head position, foot position, hand position, posture...

The opposition for starters....

The gloves as well.....

The positioning of the bodies and feet and the mechanics of maneuvering in the clinch to set up your punching.

To the untrained and uneducated there is no difference.

Clinching in MMA is not the same as boxing due to the different objectives and plans of the combatants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I can't tell the difference, since they are both so exciting to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I see the above video (which was also posted on the MayMac thread in the boxing forum) has now been posted here and it's the perfect illustration of just how clueless most boxing fans are with regards to mma.

In it we see McGregor's stance and hand positioning (along with some other aspects of how he has fought in MMA fights) critiqued as if he is going to go into a boxing ring with Floyd Mayweather and fight the very same manner.... even though there will be no chance of anyone trying to kick, grapple or knee him.

You couldn't make it up.

Firas with the 2nd part of his breakdown.

Key comments:

"Conor will destroy him in the clinch. I've clinched with boxers and they are physically weak compared to wrestlers".

"I've spent time with Conor and Zab Judah personally, Conor is a lot bigger and stronger than Zab".

"There are over 2,000 MMA fighters who would kill Floyd in MMA and I'm including myself in that number".

"If Conor loses I'd like to see a rematch in the Octagon with MMA gloves and a gentleman's agreement for no takedowns, no elbows, no kicks".

Destroy him in the clinch...😅

You couldn't make it up..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Destroy him in the clinch...😅

You couldn't make it up..

You could make it up. Because i listened to the video and he never once said 'destroy him in the clinch'.

I see the above video (which was also posted on the MayMac thread in the boxing forum) has now been posted here and it's the perfect illustration of just how clueless most boxing fans are with regards to mma.

In it we see McGregor's stance and hand positioning (along with some other aspects of how he has fought in MMA fights) critiqued as if he is going to go into a boxing ring with Floyd Mayweather and fight the very same manner.... even though there will be no chance of anyone trying to kick, grapple or knee him.

You couldn't make it up.

Well considering that is how he fights, and has been fighting in MMA thus far, I think its a fair assessment. Not only that, the examples that were used for Mayweathers punches were landing on Guerrero pretty handily. So I think the point of the video wasn't to just show McGregors antics in an MMA cage and how they would (potentially) shape up to Mayweather, merely they were showing how Mayweather lands on a fairly seasoned pro like Robert Guerrero.

Firas with the 2nd part of his breakdown.

Key comments:

"Conor will destroy him in the clinch. I've clinched with boxers and they are physically weak compared to wrestlers".

"I've spent time with Conor and Zab Judah personally, Conor is a lot bigger and stronger than Zab".

"There are over 2,000 MMA fighters who would kill Floyd in MMA and I'm including myself in that number".

"If Conor loses I'd like to see a rematch in the Octagon with MMA gloves and a gentleman's agreement for no takedowns, no elbows, no kicks".

And people are saying that boxing fans are off their head? Hahaha

You could make it up. Because i listened to the video and he never once said 'destroy him in the clinch'.

Pedantic but ok here's the full quote:

"Mayweather's level of clinching competency pales in comparison compared to McGregor's. I have trained with professional boxers and when I clinch with them they are weak. They are weak compared to us wrestlers, come on you're going to clinch with a wrestler, are you kidding me? This is boxing fans airing their (laughs instead of saying insecurities)... If I bring you a wrestler and get him to clinch with a boxer for sure the wrestler will say the boxer doesn't know what he's doing."

I summarised it as 'destroy him in the clinch'. Strength wise. Firas did say Floyd will time punches in the clinch better than Conor.

• Advertisement

From that Reddit thread, this gave me a chuckle
    I liken McGregor coming up with a gameplan to beat Floyd like you would say a plumber being given a crash course in thermodynamics and being told to go build Hoover Dam. He thinks he has an idea but he doesnt. He really doesnt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement