Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Gintonious wrote: »

Here you go princess, its not even that long so you can pay attention to it.

Mod: Cut out the crap 'princess'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Would be amazed if anyone from Joe talked to Espinoza at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Folks I have been lenient here the last week or two with people so that there's a bit of discussion and people get to voice their opinion no matter which side they are on as long as its sensible debate. But don't take that as freedom to just start saying whatever you want and acting the muppet. Keep it civil and use common sense, any long bans at this stage and you wont be back till after the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Watched back the Mayweather/Cotto fight. A complete master class of boxing from Floyd. Allot more offensive than I remembered it live. Cotto was one of the greatest, hard hitting boxer-punchers of his generation. The reining 154lb champion and coming off back of 3 straight TKO wins, most recently and notebly over Antonio Margarito...

He couldn't hit Floyd. It's incredible to watch. A word class boxer is unloading his best shots, a hard and as fast as he can and nothing lands.

Floyd will absolutely destroy McGregor next month. One, Maybe Two rounds. KO/TKO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,225 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I just got an email from Ticketmaster with a code and there are still tickets left so its not sold out
    3500 usd for nosebleeds ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Lads does anyone know if the fight will be available to buy on the internet?

Will happily pay for an official stream, but don't have a sky box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I just got an email from Ticketmaster with a code and there are still tickets left so its not sold out
    3500 usd for nosebleeds ffs.

Yeah was seeing that all the $500, $1500 and $2500 tickets are gone and the only ones left are $3500 - $10,000.

How many are left before venue sold out? You can check on the map if you're a #verifiedfan I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

D.Q wrote: »
    Lads does anyone know if the fight will be available to buy on the internet?

Will happily pay for an official stream, but don't have a sky box.

You should be able to.
    Sky box office & itv box office have both been available to legally stream for the recent fights on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

Surely the 3500 and 10000 tickets are aimed at celebrities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It's just aimed at people with more money than sense.

• Advertisement

Surely the 3500 and 10000 tickets are aimed at celebrities?

True but after the backlash from the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight (where they only released 500 tickets to the public) it looks like they've released more this time around to the public.

The #verifiedfan restrictions are messing it up a little bit. People are selling the free code online for $50, $100, $200 to people looking to just buy tickets.

Anyway it'll sell-out not a bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

walshb wrote: »
    [
    I wouldn't be so quick to label Conor "stronger".

It's a gray area anyway. Depends a lot on what the combatants are doing.

Technique/skill can always be part of one's strength.

Now, raw strength is a little different.....
    walshb wrote: »
    I'll wait until Aug 26 to claim that the non boxer out clinches or is the better clincher than the boxer in boxing clinching.....
    The above would make sense if boxers were routinely clinching. But they aren't so...well you know where I'm going.

Effective clinching in boxing (at least for Mayweather stylistically) is flopping on your opponent and getting the ref to break it up. Floyd is very good at achieving that, so it's tactically effective from his point of view - of course having a ref aligned with that stylistic approach helps.

If the ref approaches cliching as per the above. I'd expect Mayweather to be more effective. But not because he is "stronger in clinch", but simply because they aren't clinching.
    If they were actually allowed to clinch more freely, then I fully expect the stronger clincher to have the upperhand. But I doubt that would ever happen in a boxing ring.

TL;DR Mayweather will probably be more effective in the "clinch", not because he's a stronger clincher, but simply because the ref won't allow strong clinching

I was just thinking about this fight for a while.

Conor is going to beat Floyd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

That tweet came after he says "I was not sparring because I was not picked to spar today."

He didn't say "I was not sparring today because I had to fly to New York". Just the way he worded it makes it sound like he was available and not picked. That's a little odd don't you think?

And shortly after the first spar he's taken to twitter to have an extended back and forth about the importance of hard sparring. I just think it's a bit coincidental. My guess is that he's come in and sparred hard and Kavanagh told him to wind it back a bit and they had an argument about the pros and cons of hard sparring.

Paulie was always planned to fly bak to NY and fly backck to Vegas. So don't think it is an issue.

Interesting q for jk tho re sparring hard v his upgrading the software and not damaging the hardware? Maybe boxing is different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

I am moving that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

If he does I dont want to raise children in a world like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

All the money so far has been on McGregor. In the last couple of days before the fight I predict an enormous shift in the odds, mega mega money will go on Mayweather from the pro sports bettors in the States which will see Mayweather jump back in , if I was to guess to around 1/10 or worse. Anyone who's looking to put a decent bet on McGregor should wait until just before the fight, when his price will be much bigger than the frankly awful 9/2 available now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What the hell are you on about :confused:

Little memory rejog for you: I laughed at the absurdity of some content of a video which was posted and you said that there was a good point made within other parts of it............... which I agreed with and so said 'Well, they should have just made a video on that then.'

What exactly is it about that which is confusing you?

Misunderstanding on my side, I apologize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

dashoonage wrote:
    If he does I dont want to raise children in a world like this.

I'd love to raise my kids in a world like that. Show them living proof that you can achieve anything if you believe and work. No matter how many people doubt you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

I'd love to raise my kids in a world like that. Show them living proof that you can achieve anything if you believe and work. No matter how many people doubt you.

You need talent though and McGregor has that. I fear there will be many a young Dub who will end up brain damaged and broke trying to follow his path. Not everyone can achieve greatness its very important to know when to bail out and try something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

red ears wrote:
    You need talent though and McGregor has that. I fear there will be many a young Dub who will end up brain damaged and broke trying to follow his path. Not everyone can achieve greatness its very important to know when to bail out and try something else.

Important to quit when it gets tough?

Funny how every single sports star in the world says the key to their success is to never quit and never stop beliving.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    My understanding is that they spar hard when they need to but they are very cautious when it comes to head trauma and pre-fight injuries. So their idea of a hard spar is likely at odds with Paulie's more old-fashioned idea of a hard spar.

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/888960291530170368

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/889238077754834944

From what Kavanagh has said over the years I believe he would strongly disagree with both of those comments.

There is delusional bums (every gym has them) that everyone who follows mma on the local circuit knows that think their the big thing though yet coudnt win an argument never mind professional fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

red ears wrote: »

I think Mc Gregors biggest talent is his self belief, apart from his left hand he is not an exceptionally talented fighter imo, but he does also seem to have a very good work ethic which he channels into the right areas, he knows where he is weak and focuses on that in training. The odds are obviously stacked against him in this upcoming fight, but I think it would be foolish to completely write him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Django99 wrote: »
    All the money so far has been on McGregor.
    I don't think that's accurate at all actually.

$8.4m matched so far on betfair.
    McGregor: $1.9m
    Mayweather: $6.5m
    And some spare change on the draw.

That's 3.5 times as much action on Floyd and it's been like that since the start. His price peaked weeks ago at 1/4 (1.25). It's been trending down slowly since. The pros are losing out by holding out now.
    Conor is climbing, slowly. He won't get back as high as his opening price.

rustynutz wrote: »
    but I think it would be foolish to completely write him off.

I wrote Canelo and manny off against Floyd, and you gonna call me foolish for writing off an amatuer v Floyd? :confused: I would say giving him a chance of winning is foolish tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think that's accurate at all actually.

$8.4m matched so far on betfair.
    McGregor: $1.9m
    Mayweather: $6.5m
    And some spare change on the draw.

That's 3.5 times as much action on Floyd and it's been like that since the start. His price peaked weeks ago at 1/4 (1.25). It's been trending down slowly since. The pros are losing out by holding out now.
    Conor is climbing, slowly. He won't get back as high as his opening price.

That's interesting , I hadn't seen the prices lately and assumed they'd still on the same trend (McGregor shortening). I see though that some Vegas bookies still have McGregor at 4/1, and I could only see that drifting big time close to the fight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement