Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Yeah but we had this argument on here before when JK made his comments about Freddie Roach.

The standpoint he took is that he wouldn't want Freddie Roach coaching Conor because he already tried to coach Pacquiao to victory and failed.

I disagreed completely with that viewpoint but anyway, I think the general gist is that they don't want boxing advice from boxing experts like Paulie because they don't want Conor to fight like a boxer. They want him to fight like a mixed martial artist in a boxing ring.

Ah yes, I think I remember it now.

If that is the gist of their approach, it doesn't really instil much confidence, though I do like being surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Gamebred wrote: »
    I think he looks like him, Conor on roids.

Shows how much of a bloody big deal he is over there in the States.....more so than over here would imagine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Seen a rumour Diaz is to walk out with Floyd on fight night pmsl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Looking at some odds. Deciding what to do for this fight. Mayweather to win in the first 3 is good value at 7/1 with PP and LB. Ladbrokes will give you the 4th round too at 5/1. And the 5th and 6th round at 5/2.

I like William Hill's price of 11/4 on Mayweather by TKO in any round but it doesn't cover you in the event Floyd winning by straight knockout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,086 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Gamebred wrote: »
    Seen a rumour Diaz is to walk out with Floyd on fight night pmsl.

They'll use a joint on the end of a fishing rod to steer him out..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Looking at some odds. Deciding what to do for this fight. Mayweather to win in the first 3 is good value at 7/1 with PP and LB. Ladbrokes will give you the 4th round too at 5/1. And the 5th and 6th round at 5/2.

I like William Hill's price of 11/4 on Mayweather by TKO in any round but it doesn't cover you in the event Floyd winning by straight knockout.

Why do you think it is good value and yet PP haven't copped onto it? Do they like giving good value all of a sudden?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

Gamebred, your negativity about Mczgregor is really frustrating.

Gamebred, your negativity about Mczgregor is really frustrating.

Don't know the chap from Adam but it seems forced. Bit sycophantic with all the boxing dudes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Don't know the chap from Adam but it seems forced. Bit psycophantic with all the boxing dudes.

sycophantic?

Gsmebred is the opposite of sycophantic, he's a hardcore McGregor fanboy who just has a sense of perspective about this farce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Nothing personal May, hes fighting the best of an era in a sport he has no place in, im a realist McGregor fan.

• Advertisement

sycophantic?

Gsmebred is the opposite of sycophantic, he's a hardcore McGregor fanboy who just has a sense of perspective about this farce.

Ah, maybe the fact he is a fanboy makes it come across that way. It seems he is suppressing a love for McGregor alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

He just wants to see his favourite MMA fighter fight in MMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,591 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Absolute nonsense. :rolleyes:

Sprinting is a single-minded sport with a narrow range of desirable attributes. And you can say the same about many sports. It's hard to be successful in basketball if you are short. It's hard to be a successful jockey if you are tall etc.
    Some sports have a single advantageous attribute. Some sports have multiple sets. It's not complicated tbh.
    But MMA is a multi-discipline sport. So many paths to victory. We have seen successful fighters with poor cardio. Successful fighters who are short for their weight class. Some who are overweight. Some who lack fast twitch muscle. There is no perfect set of attributes - there is a counter (physically / tactically) for everything.
    Where did I say there was a single perfect set of attributes. :confused:
    Either you have no rebuttal for my actual point, or you didn't understand it.

Just because there is no single perfect set of attributes doesn't mean there are no advantageous genetic attributes. That's the huge hole in your logic. As is the fact you keep listing genetic advantages and then claim none exist.

Some guys have power, others body shape, or cardio, etc. These are all genetic advantages.
    Most people don't have any of those advantages. Elite fighters tend to have more than one.
    Talking about absolute genetic advantages in a sport with high emphasis on technique/skill and infinite variety of stylistic possibilities is absolute hogwash.
    If you actually think that, then you have no idea big a difference a genetic predisposition can make.
    The fact it a highly skilled sport doesn't change that. Look at weightlifting, probably the sport where strength and genetics are is the biggest limiting factor. It's also a highly skilled sports that's takes years to develop. The idea that's martial arts is based on skill alone is Hollywood fantasy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

What's coming? Superman punch or left high kick...

Yeah I don't think they're looking to pick Paulie's brain on boxing :)

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/890399938143633408

e31.jpg

In other news, I think the lads at the Association of Boxing Commisions have been reading this thread. They've just officially added 4 new divisions. 165/175/195/225.

https://www.twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/890263475536117760

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mellor wrote: »
    In other news, I think the lads at the Association of Boxing Commisions have been reading this thread. They've just officially added 4 new divisions. 165/175/195/225.

https://www.twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/890263475536117760

With the 170lb division staying as well. Will obviously take time for promotions to adopt them but I imagine you'll start seeing a lot more dual champs soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

There is no obligation on any promotion to implement any of the new weight classes, and I can see the UFC holding out as long as possible

What's coming? Superman punch or left high kick...

Yeah I don't think they're looking to pick Paulie's brain on boxing :)

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/890399938143633408

He will look like a jester if he does that in a boxing match.

"Ole ole ole ole" with be replaced with laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gintonious wrote: »
    He will look like a jester if he does that in a boxing match.

"Ole ole ole ole" with be replaced with laughing.

Roger Mayweather got KTFO by a superman punch against Julio Chavez

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »

No, he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

No, he didn't.
    He got knocked down

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

No, he didn't.
    He got knocked down

https://youtu.be/RO-8eLCVVss

Knocked down at least.

a) he got smashed before the jumping right so was on queer street already

b) he got back up after it

C) I wouldn't call that a superman punch

HattrickNZ wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/RO-8eLCVVss

Knocked down at least.

Thats not KTFO as was put above.

Trying that on Floyd would be hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

lev22.jpg

Looks like McGregor must have David Blaine in camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You really need sparring footage to know how this is going to go ?

cletus wrote: »
    There is no obligation on any promotion to implement any of the new weight classes, and I can see the UFC holding out as long as possible
    Yeah it's just more options for promotors at this stage. If anyone does bring in 165 and 175 I can't see them retaining 170 alongside.
    WW and LW are huge divisions. They could survive being stretched a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭Inviere

Any photos released by McGregor of his sparring, will have been selectively released. Pay that pic no heed, as if they're going to reveal ANYTHING they plan on doing fight night. Disinformation.

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    Any photos released by McGregor of his sparring, will have been selectively released. Pay that pic no heed, as if they're going to reveal ANYTHING they plan on doing fight night. Disinformation.

FAKE NEWS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement