Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭Inviere

FAKE NEWS

Too 'hip' for me, I grew up watching the X-Files :D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

What happened to the big name sparring partners that would 'surprise a few people' ?

Just Paulie? I thought there were gonna be a few big names still around the top of the 147-154 divisions - I know they'd be expensive but yeah they're splashing on the camp and they'd get a profile boost from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

What happened to the big name sparring partners that would 'surprise a few people' ?

Just Paulie? I thought there were gonna be a few big names still around the top of the 147-154 divisions - I know they'd be expensive but yeah they're splashing on the camp and they'd get a profile boost from it.

Paulie said it himself, big names don't come in for other peoples camps to be sparring partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

FAKE NEWS

Yes, and they don't trust Experts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Its rare alright but sometimes it happens . Im sure good fighters would jump at it for the exposure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Its rare alright but sometimes it happens . Im sure good fighters would jump at it for the exposure

At least with Paulie, you get a seasoned vet who has the experience to give you some pointers.

If it was a current pro, they would probably cabbage him for the fun of it.

Lukker- wrote: »

Paulie said it himself, big names don't come in for other peoples camps to be sparring partners.
    Well they do though. Just off the top of my head, Liam Smith came into Kel Brooks camp for his sparring recently and both are world level fighters
    Just see this thread on a boxing forum that shows some of the best sparring with each other

Spar Wars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

I think Berto would of been a good option . Wouldnt have went too hard on him and knows Mayweather after sharing the ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Paulie said in an interview yesterday that they are bringing in other sparring partners soon

Well they do though. Just off the top of my head, Liam Smith came into Kel Brooks camp for his sparring recently and both are world level fighters
    Just see this thread on a boxing forum that shows some of the best sparring with each other

Spar Wars

You are confusing boxers going a few rounds when they are training at the same gym to a boxer bringing in and paying a fighter to be a sparring partner for a camp. Pretty big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Looks like McGregor must have David Blaine in camp.

Or a glitch from the new UFC game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Or a glitch from the new UFC game

One of my finest moments, getting a message from Tommy Toe Hold asking to use one of my clips for that video (Gus spinning Jones and flinging him across the Octagon) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I called it, Paulie not happy that he was not picked. A two-time champ taking time out of his day to join the camp (at their request) and he sits on the bench in favour of Artem... Suggests they were not happy with the first sparring session.

McGregor likes training partners who are young and/or deferential to him. Zahabi alluded to it in his analysis of Conor's ground game (and the holes therein). He said he had seen it many times, a guy is the 'big star' in a gym and nobody wants to push him or embarrass him in training.

I think Paulie went too hard or showed Conor up and I would not be surprised if he doesn't spar again.

Too many chiefs.

Strange that he would not know who Conor's coach was, suggests he was not introduced. Or that Kavanagh was opposed to his presence. It begs the question, who is running the camp? I suspect there is a bit of a power struggle in his corner at the moment, the boys from Crumlin are vying for more prominent roles and Kavanagh doesn't have Conor's ear the way he used to.

Doesn't paint a good picture anyway.

Well, those gaps between the lines aren't going to read themselves I suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Vasyl Lomachenko at one stage was offering his services. He'd be a brilliant option for sparring, because he's awkward as fook. If Conor could land on him, he should be able to land on FM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVSBiLR-UJg

Footage of one of John Kavanaghs fights. First time I've seen any of his MMA fights online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I wish someone would teach Conor how to use a rowing machine.

It's annoying me. So much wasted movement and energy inefficiency.

Should always have your seat/bum stationary at full recline. Conor does be half way on the way back at full recline.

I'm borderline astonished they're allowing this to continue. All the state of the art equipment in the UFC Performance Institute and nobody to teach him how to use the machine?

Anyway on the off-chance Conor is a lurker here's how it should be done by the World Record holder:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

good point re rowing. Would he get a better workout with the right technique? Or is it not worth the time to try and improve it? He is also tired in them rowing vids so maybe he loses some of his technique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Always worth the time to improve technique. Rowing machines are a great way of improving cardio but if you dont get the technique right then you miss out on the full benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Audio interview with Paulie from yesterday.

If that link doesn't work, just scroll down to Wednesday's show on this page.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Always worth the time to improve technique. Rowing machines are a great way of improving cardio but if you dont get the technique right then you miss out on the full benefits.

It wasn't just the rowing technique and that's worrying. If you look at his bench press, he was lifting his bum and feet off the floor to try get the final reps, not only are you risking a lower-back-injury, you're also not using your core properly.

I dunno. Stuff like that really worries me because there's only really 3 explanations:

1. His coaching team don't know proper weight lifting techniques and proper rowing techniques and are simply allowing him to row and lift like a donkey.

2. His team do know the proper techniques but are afraid to correct Conor on them because they are yes-men who don't want to tell him he's doing it arse-ways.

3. They have informed him and he a) doesn't listen to them or b) is incapable of executing basic techniques.

Given the fact Julian Dalby is a national champion weight-lifter, you'd have to be leaning towards options 2 or 3, neither of which are good.

Look, I know he's not trying to be a rower or weight-lifter but for a professional athlete he should at least be trying to use proper techniques and not injure himself. Any instructor worth their salt in any local gym wouldn't tolerate a novice continuing to lift and row arseways.

While I'm at it, he doesn't use bicycle clips or a helmet when cycling. Going into a $600 million revenue fight and cycles around with no helmet and doesn't even have his feet clipped in? He's supposed to be selling the Conor McGregor Fast System, showing the world this cardio system and he's putting out videos where he can't row properly, doesn't lift properly and doesn't wear a helmet?

His head isn't indestructible, if he falls and hits his head off concrete, concrete will win.

SMH.

Just to add to the above, Virgil Hunter (famous boxing trainer) was saying the biggest issue he sees with Conor is that he has "the waist of a model and a weak core" and he will, I'm paraphrasing here, be butchered to the body by Floyd.

Posting videos where he can't make bench press reps without lifting his arse and feet off the ground doesn't do a whole lot to undermine that analysis. Unless they're playing 54th dimensional chess and releasing them on purpose to make him look weak... :rolleyes: ahem...

Anyway, hopefully he won't injure himself but it's a pretty bad look for the UFC Performance Institute. They *literally* have full-time strength & conditioning and cardio experts on-site available to all UFC fighters yet the star of the company is putting out videos making them look like a bunch of clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

nicely put wonder. 
    Now I am wondering is this just part of the propaganda, but I don't believe that to be the case. Would be interested to see what jk  (or even ido - who is very strong on technique) has to say on the matter. I am not expert on these techniques. 
    Good point re options 2 and 3. But given Conor is meant to be the perfectionist(or I am led to believe) I find this hard to believe. 
    is fatigue a possibility for poor technique? But he probably is not fatigued all the time in the shots.

HattrickNZ wrote: »
    nicely put wonder. 
    Now I am wondering is this just part of the propaganda, but I don't believe that to be the case. Would be interested to see what jk  (or even ido - who is very strong on technique) has to say on the matter. I am not expert on these techniques. 
    Good point re options 2 and 3. But given Conor is meant to be the perfectionist(or I am led to believe) I find this hard to believe. 
    is fatigue a possibility for poor technique? But he probably is not fatigued all the time in the shots.

I'm far from a weight-lifting expert but I have at times in my life had a gym instructor and I know I'm not supposed to lift my feet and bum for a bench press.

Fatigue is 100% a factor, but if you're struggling to get the last few reps done then either the weight is too heavy or you're not engaging your core properly... he'd surely be better to either lift a lower weight or do less reps.

I'm sure there's guys who lift on here who could tell you better but I just found it strange. Conor is by no means the only MMA guy with dreadful lifting techniques - Tony Ferguson had that viral video where he could have broken his back doing crazy lifts, Sage Northcutt likewise doing cheat-curls, even Jon Jones had sloppy technique on some crazy deadlifts.

I dunno. Whatever about the weights, his rowing technique is clearly horrendous and easy to fix. Conor is all about efficiency of movement so it's weird that he's training so inefficiently.

Then that makes me think... if they're training inefficiently on a rower and on a weights bench... what's to say they're not doing the same inside the ring? Taking 5 steps to cut an angle when 4 steps would do?

I'm probably being a bit harsh but if I had spare money I wouldn't be rushing off to enroll in his FAST Program when seemingly the guys behind it can't even get Conor to row properly.

It'd be like trying to sell a BBQ and putting out a video of you burning burgers to a crisp on it while fiddling around trying to turn it off i.e. you should be competent at the thing you're selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

HattrickNZ wrote: »
    nicely put wonder. 

I'm far from a weight-lifting expert but I have at times in my life had a gym instructor and I know I'm not supposed to lift my feet and bum for a bench press.

Fatigue is 100% a factor, but if you're struggling to get the last few reps done then either the weight is too heavy or you're not engaging your core properly... he'd surely be better to either lift a lower weight or do less reps.

I'm sure there's guys who lift on here who could tell you better but I just found it strange. Conor is by no means the only MMA guy with dreadful lifting techniques - Tony Ferguson had that viral video where he could have broken his back doing crazy lifts, Sage Northcutt likewise doing cheat-curls, even Jon Jones had sloppy technique on some crazy deadlifts.

I dunno. Whatever about the weights, his rowing technique is clearly horrendous and easy to fix. Conor is all about efficiency of movement so it's weird that he's training so inefficiently.

Then that makes me think... if they're training inefficiently on a rower and on a weights bench... what's to say they're not doing the same inside the ring? Taking 5 steps to cut an angle when 4 steps would do?

I'm probably being a bit harsh but if I had spare money I wouldn't be rushing off to enroll in his FAST Program when seemingly the guys behind it can't even get Conor to row properly.

It'd be like trying to sell a BBQ and putting out a video of you burning burgers to a crisp on it while fiddling around trying to turn it off i.e. you should be competent at the thing you're selling.

I suppose it depends on the purpose of the specific workout those clips are from....if this was a "red zone" session to use the FAST money-making system's lingo, I would imagine you wouldn't succeed in working the body hard enough / get heart rate to desired level if you stopped the exercise as soon as perfect form started to slip. Judging from the clips it appears that the aim of these exercises was to get McGregor to absolutely empty the tank and exert himself to the max for a specific length of time....if that's the case, then he doesn't really have a choice than to push through and keep going regardless of form....he can't say "oh, the form is gone, let's stop if there" as it would defeat the whole point of the exercise....

If you've ever done a HIIT workout you have probably experienced your form going out the window as you gut out the last few reps / watch the last few seconds disappear on the clock.....but the important thing is to keep going until the rest period nonetheless!

Now I could be wrong, and maybe McGregor's technique is poor even when he is fresh, but I'd guess he's more likely just trying to gut it out until he reaches the finish line!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

It wasn't just the rowing technique and that's worrying. If you look at his bench press, he was lifting his bum and feet off the floor to try get the final reps, not only are you risking a lower-back-injury, you're also not using your core properly.

In his defence the damper is on high so depending on how hard they are pushing him and at what stage his form is bound to go at some point.

What I don't understand is why 8 people have to stand around gawping at him while he works out.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why 8 people have to stand around gawping at him while he works out.
    I thought the same. I know they are all needed at various points during the day..some guys for sparring, some for massage etc. I don't know why they are all hanging around watching him row. Same problem Paulie highlighted, too many chiefs.

I thought the same. I know they are all needed at various points during the day..some guys for sparring, some for massage etc. I don't know why they are all hanging around watching him row. Same problem Paulie highlighted, too many chiefs.

It's the whole entourage thing. Watch any vid of Floyd training and he has about 30 people around him doing the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

.ak wrote: »
    Vasyl Lomachenko at one stage was offering his services. He'd be a brilliant option for sparring, because he's awkward as fook. If Conor could land on him, he should be able to land on FM.

Loma would dance rings around Conor (literally) if they sparred/fought.

That would be a terrible, terrible, terrible idea for McGregor.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    It's the whole entourage thing. Watch any vid of Floyd training and he has about 30 people around him doing the same
    Yeah, that's exactly it.

I think another element is that McGregor's team are more akin to hired help than teammates. So they feel like they have to follow him around 24/7 because he is paying for their time.

With most fighters their teammates will come and help them prepare for a fight, accompany them during fight week etc. Then the roles will be reversed and they'll repay the favour for their teammates fights.

Conor doesn't seem to like doing this, it's rare that you'll see him accompany a teammate during fight week, be in their corner, etc. He prefers to just pay them for his camp and then he doesn't owe them one back. I suppose it's one of the perks of success although im not sure it's good for team morale.
    Gintonious wrote: »
    Loma would dance rings around Conor (literally) if they sparred/fought.

That would be a terrible, terrible, terrible idea for McGregor.

Agreed, a really bad idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement