Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Gamebred wrote: »

Mad he feels the inclination or need to do any of that. Surely it'd be easier to whack your mug on some protein powder for the same kick-back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

You'd hope it means he plans on plenty of Vegas fights = all his after parties there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

You'd hope it means he plans on plenty of Vegas fights = all his after parties there.

Hopefully it's an uninterrupted two year marathon residency. Mink coat, whopper bag of powder, Ghost Town by the Specials on repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Could it be a stab at Floyd's strip clubs? Some how?

Strange though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

In guessing he's just tied to there for his after parties for all Vegas fights for the next 2 years, no big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

I was out of order. Apologies to Kav and anyone offending

There I am giving out about his online persona and I am no better.

Apologies

You don't see that too often, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    In guessing he's just tied to there for his after parties for all Vegas fights for the next 2 years, no big deal.

Yeah I'd imagine this is what it is, still though even if it is a monthly thing, getting paid to go on the beer in vegas once a month? how bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Would say it's a misprint and they mean a residency at Wynn's on Abbey St. Easy mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

Interesting perspective from Berto on Floyd in the ring.
    very observant, and really tactical and toying with the opponent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

100 euro on Mayweather to win inside 4 rounds.
    Odds 11/2
    j9jwAD1.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

100 euro on Mayweather to win inside 4 rounds.
    Odds 11/2
    j9jwAD1.jpg?1

That is a good price. Only 5-1 on the exchanges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

.ak wrote: »
    Fairly scathing post there WL, I think you're reading between the lines a tad.

I really don't see how ego comes into it. He's not saying Freddie failed therefor didn't learn, infact he's saying quite the opposite; he's learned from his error.

You won't teach one of the greatest martial artists how to box in a couple of months........

Agree 100% and they shouldn't even try turn Conor into a boxer because Floyd has already beaten 47 professional boxers who fight using boxing fundamentals.

BUT - why not just say that?

What he said is (effectively): "Why would we bring Freddie Roach on board, he already tried to coach (Manny) to beat Floyd and he failed".

Surely, if JK believes in "Win or Learn" enough to write a book about it (a book I've read a dozen times), then he would think "hmm Freddie tried and lost, if he learned from those errors in that camp, then it would be hugely beneficial to us to have him on board for this one".

Look, all he had to say is "we're coming at this from an MMA standpoint and boxing coaches wouldn't fit into our plans". Instead, he made it personal about Freddie Roach.

Whats funny about Floyd is hes known for playing games with camps, he took a Philippine photographer on from Manny then took Alex Ariza who was his strength trainer, he will try something here hes probably paying Paulie for the info.

Well you'll be delighted to hear (according to Helen Yee), Nick and Nate are coming into Floyd's camp this coming week and (apparently) will be sparring alongside Kevin Lee.
    So once a month he's going to fly to Vegas and sit in a club for money?

Jesus christ.

Odds on him moving to California full time in the next 12 months lads?

Remember in his original hearing for the water bottle incident? I found it interesting at the time but his lawyer said he's a "US-resident" with a property in Nevada and was in the process of finalizing a purchase of a California home.

I wonder does the UFC Performance Institute sway his thinking a bit on where to do future camps? As much as he loves home, the UFC PI is one of the best facilities in the world where he could take his camps to a new level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Agree 100% and they shouldn't even try turn Conor into a boxer because Floyd has already beaten 47 professional boxers who fight using boxing fundamentals.

47?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

47?

Beat Maidana and Castillo twice.

Will NSAC allow a fight at 154lbs with 8oz gloves?

Is Floyd trying to bait him down to 147?

Django99 wrote: »
    Beat Maidana and Castillo twice.

Brain fart.

Brain fart.

Easy mistake!

Just watching Mayweather v Gatti again, the fight was 12 years ago but if Mayweather put on a performance like that again it could put fighting out of Mcgregors head for a while. Arguably Mayweathers best performance in my book.

Time waits for no man

WAR MCGREGOR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

How about 4oz?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

BOHtox wrote: »
    How about 4oz?

''Tis a boxing match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    ''Tis a boxing match.

Think you missed what I was getting at

BOHtox wrote: »
    Think you missed what I was getting at

I see what you were getting at, but I find it completely pointless to even get at it. I can't see any relevance as to who would win an MMA fight, a street fight or any other type of fight because this is a boxing match and it will only ever be a boxing match.

After watching Mayweather V Gatti again YouTube moved onto the Canelo fight, which I haven't seen since watching it when it happened. I remember thinking at the the time that it was fairly uneventful but there's a lot more action than I remembered. Again it's a few years ago but Mayweather still looked incredible in this fight.

Django99 wrote: »
    I see what you were getting at, but I find it completely pointless to even get at it. I can't see any relevance as to who would win an MMA fight, a street fight or any other type of fight because this is a boxing match and it will only ever be a boxing match.

I didn't get that at all from his post so maybe I'm lost.

I thought he meant "if you're going to spoof about changing the gloves, why not spoof and say 4oz's".

Floyd would be as well saying "McGregor let's fight bare handed"... it's in the Nevada Athletic Commission rules for the 10oz gloves at that weight class and Floyd doesn't get to change the rules.

I could be massively wrong but I believe those rules stem back to the Ray Mancini fight in the early 1980's when his opponent died. I've tried to google it but can't find anything to confirm when the rule was changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Full statement from Floyd on Facebook:

"Don't believe what you hear in the media. Don't believe what you hear on blog sites. If it's not coming directly from me, then it's not true. I'm telling McGregor, "Let's fight in 8 oz gloves". McGregor can fight in any brand he prefers or chooses. I'll be wearing 8 oz Grant gloves. Whatever advantage McGregor needs to feel more comfortable in the ring, I'm willing to accommodate. Let's give the boxing and MMA fans what they want to see."

Interesting

I didn't get that at all from his post so maybe I'm lost.

I thought he meant "if you're going to spoof about changing the gloves, why not spoof and say 4oz's".

Floyd would be as well saying "McGregor let's fight bare handed"... it's in the Nevada Athletic Commission rules for the 10oz gloves at that weight class and Floyd doesn't get to change the rules.

I could be massively wrong but I believe those rules stem back to the Ray Mancini fight in the early 1980's when his opponent died. I've tried to google it but can't find anything to confirm when the rule was changed.

Maybe so, we'll see what he responds! If he was inferring what you said then fair enough, because as you say it's all pointless talk seeing as the commission sets the glove size relating to the weight class.

I'd be pretty confident Mayweather has virtually nothing to do with his social media accounts, I'd imagine he has a PR person doing them for him so like almost everything to do with this fight, the post is just something to keep people talking.

Just some spin to keep the fight in the news is all this is with the gloves talk, contracts have been signed on 10oz gloves.

Contracts can be amended.... and 8oz gloves would spark even more interest in the fight... might even sell those seats they can't shift :p

Lets be honest, McGregor only has a slim chance in the fight and it rests on KO/TKOing Floyd.

And there is more chance of that happening in 8oz than 10oz, that's for sure.

Contracts can be amended.... and 8oz gloves would spark even more interest in the fight... might even sell those seats they can't shift :p

Lets be honest, McGregor only has a slim chance in the fight and it rests on KO/TKOing Floyd.

And there is more chance of that happening in 8oz than 10oz, that's for sure.

EDIT - Wrong.

Probably same story here with the hand-speed advantage, he's probably thinking 'hang on, I can do more damage in 8oz gloves and he won't hit me'...

Interesting that he has come out with this idea AFTER Paulie sparring Conor...

• Advertisement

Interesting that he has come out with this idea AFTER Paulie sparring Conor..

Well, he did say the following at the first presser (skip to 2m 20s):

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement