Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Well, he did say the following at the first presser (skip to 2m 20s):

He also said he'd fight Conor in the Octagon so I'm not putting a lot of stock in "Floyd said..."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

He also said he'd fight Conor in the Octagon so I'm not putting a lot of stock in "Floyd said..."

You're commenting on what Floyd said in a tweet, wonder :P

What's the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Who wins in a phone box? MEEE. I destroy Floyd in a phone box.

phonebox.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

darced wrote: »
    They wore different gloves in the same fight? surely thats not true wonder?

I don't think it is either, just had a quick Google and it look so like Mayweather tried to get 8oz gloves but the commission wouldn't allow it. Both wore 10s as far as I can see

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Sorry yeah that was a mix-up, I made the fatal mistake of trusting Floyd's own words and Ellie Seckbach :rolleyes:

He said back in 2012 he was 100% wearing 8oz Grant's for the fight:

Cotto had said he's sticking with 10oz gloves regardless of what Floyd does. Floyd all-talk knowing commission would never allow it... like tonight!!

In other "news", Brendan Schaub has made a bet that Conor survives the full 12 rounds (unless he KO's Floyd early) and will share a d**k pic if Conor gets stopped.....

In more "news", Roddy gave an interview to ESPN throwing subtle shade towards Paulie Malignaggi (& the others I guess):

""Conor is killing it in sparring. He's not getting touched, you know what I mean?""

He continued on to say that while he's not a boxing coach he feels MMA striking and boxing are almost the same thing... same movements, same feints, same setups...

Also said he sees predictable patterns in Floyd that they plan to exploit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

I'm nearly sure (not positive) that both fighters must agree to the glove size, Floyd was without doubt trying to get Cotto to fight with 8oz gloves but Cotto refused to so it meant the fight was fought with 10's.

But in this case, i think its a go. If both fighters agree to fight with 8's they can adjust the contract, as long as both agree its game on.

For the conspiracy theorists, maybe Floyd has heard from a certain source that 1) Conors power isnt what its made out to be or 2) he got rocked in training by a sparring partner with ahem pillow fists.

gilmour wrote: »
    For the conspiracy theorists, maybe Floyd has heard from a certain source that 1) Conors power isnt what its made out to be or 2) he got rocked in training by a sparring partner with ahem pillow fists.

or 3) He carries a wide, low-guard and is easy to hit...

There's any number of reasons for the offer, including a publicity stunt. I have to say Conor has been carrying the promotional load for this so far. Granted, neither of them have done a whole lot but social media wise Conor is putting out daily pictures and videos, Mac Life content, Roddy's VLOG, Shinobi VLOG, whereas Floyd is just advertising his strippers...

They'd both want to be upping their promotional game in the next couple of weeks. It's only 19 days now until Fight Week. We've yet to hear any announcements on the sponsorship front for the fight, the main ring sponsor, Conor's sponsors, Floyd's sponsors, no undercard announced, no ref announced...

I've been pretty adamant this does a huge PPV number that won't be beaten for decades (between 5.5 - 6.4 million) but not a hope they break those ceilings if they don't pull the finger out and start getting themselves on Jimmy Kimmel, Conan, Ellen (wherever!).

Fine line between over-saturation and doing too little I suppose but they should start ramping things up now.

gilmour wrote: »
    But in this case, i think its a go. If both fighters agree to fight with 8's they can adjust the contract, as long as both agree its game on.

Seems that way. From the Nevada Boxing Commission:
    Question: What size gloves do I have to wear in competition?

Athletes (boxers/kick boxers) weighing-in up to and including 135 pounds must wear 8 oz gloves in competition, while athletes weighing-in over 135 pounds (junior welterweight class and above) must wear 10 oz gloves in competition. However, athletes weighing-in over 135 but more than 147 may wear 8 oz gloves in competition if both athletes agree to do so in writing on their bout agreement (contract).

Where it says "but more" ... I think may be a misprint thought and it should say "but no more".

Edit:

Just seen the following ESPN article where they assume the error also and correct it mid article.

So Floyd could be trolling everyone after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mayweather has been fighting with 8oz gloves in all but 3 of his fights. The De La Hoya fight where Oscar picked the weight, brand and model, Cotto where Miguel wouldn't agree to use 8's and canelo fight where floyd was allowed to pick the make and model but Canelo's team wouldn't budge on the weight.

Exactly, which is why I don't get why people think he's bull****ting with this.

I think he's absolutely being genuine and is willing to fight in 8 oz.

I don't think he's bull****ting, I do think Conor wants (or should want) bigger gloves for the same reason everyone else wants bigger gloves when they fight Floyd.
    They are the gloves agreed on in the contract because they're the standard for the weight class, but bigger, more padded gloves allow power punchers to throw more freely without breaking or hurting their hands, they also make it easier to to have a decent guard as they cover more of the face/head, and they make it harder to sneak in shots on tight angles, all areas which favour Conor, not Fkoyd.

....bigger, more padded gloves allow power punchers to throw more freely without breaking or hurting their hands...

Floyd's the one with hand problems, not Conor.
    ....they also make it easier to to have a decent guard as they cover more of the face/head and they make it harder to sneak in shots on tight angles.....

Yes, all true.......
    all areas which favour Conor, not Fkoyd.

Haha, seriously?

Can't you see that all the points you made would mean that bigger gloves would favour Floyd, not Conor.........given that KO/TKO is Conor's only realistic chance of winning the fight.

Smaller gloves clearly are more in Conor's favour than they are Floyd's.

Floyd's the one with hand problems, not Conor.

Yes, but that would mean bigger gloves would favour Floyd given that KO/TKO is Conor's only realistic chance of winning this fight........ and therefore smaller gloves favour Conor.... not bigger gloves at all.

Nein, mein freund. I don't care who you are and if you've never broke your hand in your life, if you are trying to throw bombs and catching elbows and foreheads you're going to hurt your hands. That's why power punchers prefer wearing bigger gloves.

There's a reason Canelo, Cotto and Oscar all wanted bigger gloves when they fought floyd, and it wasn't for Floyd's benefit.

Take the Canelo fight for example, and I think we'd all agree Canelo hits harder than Conor.
    Floyd's 8oz grant gloves would provide him a little less protection as the same model in 10oz would, but the bigger glove make it harder for Floyd to get jabs through Canelo's guard and make Canelo's high guard more effective, they also allowed Canelo the luxury of being more free as he swung because the risk of hurting your hand catching an elbow or forehead is less, and the loss of kinetic energy is minimal.

If Floyd trying to protect his hands was really an issue, he would have been wearing 10oz gloves for years. The 8oz Grant's and the Winning's he wore before them were more than sufficient, he threw his punches with a little less power and picked his shots better to try and not break his hands, an extra 2oz of padding wasn't going to save his hands, but they would make it harder for him to slip in shots from awkward angles and split peoples guard.

That's why power punchers prefer wearing bigger gloves.

Well they must be idiots so, as the lighter the glove, the more force transfer to an opponent's head....... and lighter gloves means they can throw faster punches too.
    .... the bigger glove make it harder for Floyd to get jabs through Canelo's guard and make Canelo's high guard more effective, they also allowed Canelo the luxury of being more free as he swung because the risk of hurting your hand catching an elbow or forehead is less, and the loss of kinetic energy is minimal.

You're going back to defense reasons again and that's preposterous as it is Conor that is TKOing fighters in recent times, not Floyd.... and so if anyone should be worried about punches sneaking through guards, it should be Floyd, not Conor.

Again, Conor only has a slim chance of winning this fight and that chance for sure will rest on whether or not he can KO/TKO Floyd in the early rounds.

Lighter gloves can only help in that regard...... as the closer this fight can be to an mma fight, the better.

8oz is 2 ounces closer to home for Conor than 10oz at the end of the day.
    If Floyd trying to protect his hands was really an issue, he would have been wearing 10oz gloves for years. The 8oz Grant's and the Winning's he wore before them were more than sufficient, he threw his punches with a little less power and picked his shots better to try and not break his hands, an extra 2oz of padding wasn't going to save his hands, but they would make it harder for him to slip in shots from awkward angles and split peoples guard.

Okay, but it's still Floyd with the hand issues and not Conor...... it doesn't matter the degree.

Also, to follow your logic to it's reasonable conclusion.... that would mean that you actually think that if they fought with mma gloves, that would favour Floyd too!

Let me ask you this: if bigger gloves would favour Conor, then why does Conor want to fight with lighter gloves?

Well they must be idiots so, as the lighter the glove, the more force transfer to an opponent's head....... and lighter gloves means they can throw faster punches too.

You're going back to defense reasons again and that's preposterous as it is Conor that is TKOing fighters in recent times, not Floyd.... and so if anyone should be worried about punches sneaking through guards, it should be Floyd, not Conor.

Again, Conor only has a slim chance of winning this fight and that chance for sure will rest on whether or not he can KO/TKO Floyd in the early rounds.

Light gloves can only help in that regard.

Okay, but it's still Floyd with the hand issues and not Conor...... it doesn't matter the degree.

Let me ask you this, if bigger gloves would favour Conor, then why does he want to fight with lighter gloves?

I don't think Conor does want lighter gloves and if he does I think it's yet more proof of how out of his depth he is. Don't even bring up 4oz gloves, it's a boxing match, in a boxing ring, sanctioned as such, in Nevada that means at 154 you wear 10oz gloves by default or 8oz if both parties agree to them. That's it, there are no other options.

Floyd doesn't get hit cleanly, and the few times he has his chin has been like granite. He also doesn't employ a high guard very often and when he does it's just to bait people so he can use a drop jab. Floyd uses his trunk and head movement to avoid being hit cleanly and roll with shots.

The reason Conor, or anyone else, should want Floyd in bigger gloves is because it means he hits them less, not because they can hit him more, they're not hitting him anyway, the best fighters in several weight classes could hardly touch him for the last 20 years.

Conor's best chance is a hail mary shot when Floyd's guard is down, 2oz in the difference doesn't change that at all.
    His best chance of lasting 12 rounds if he can't get that hail mary is by getting hit as little as possible, bigger gloves mean it's harder for floyd to pick him apart, he will suffer less cumulative damage, be less like to get cut up and as a result more likely to not get stopped.
    As long as he's in the ring he has a chance of pulling off an upset with a hail mary shot, if he's getting picked apart and cut up and the ref stops it or if Mayweather puts him onto queer street with combinations and pot shots, he can't.

Canelo knew he couldn't out point Mayweather, he know his only chance to win the fight was a stoppage, that's why he chose bigger gloves.

Again, you mention Floyds hands, they're as likely to break in 10oz gloves as they are in 8oz gloves, his hands are ruined regardless, if he throws a big punch and catches an elbow he's breaking his hand whether it's 4oz or 14oz gloves he's wearing. Equipment wise wraps are the biggest factor in protecting his hands and even they offer limited protection for him at this stage. The only thing stopping Floyd's hands breaking now is his shot selection.

For someone who doesn't have brittle hands, bigger gloves mean you're less likely to hurt yourself throwing hail mary shots and catching a head or elbow, which is why along with the defensive benefits, Canelo who has heavier hands than Conor, is an infinitely better boxer than Conor, and had the same game plan as Conor decided to force 10oz gloves.

Floyd doesn't throw hail mary shots, he snipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

I don't think both fighters can agree to 8oz at 154, think that stops at 147

Yeah, seems the Nevada Commission's FAQ page has a typo on it........... they left out the word 'no'.

nevada.png

ESPN has taken it upon themselves to quote the above but correct the typo in the following article:

nevada2.png

What a calamity. So maybe Floyd was trolling us after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Will NSAC allow a fight at 154lbs with 8oz gloves?

Is Floyd trying to bait him down to 147?

It's probably just Mayweather playing mind games. He knows that regardless of the gloves, McGregor really doesn't have the boxing skill to complete with him.

Bringing it down to 147 would suit Mayweather but I doubt McGregor would go for that, in a trade off for smaller gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

I had assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that Mayweather's choice of 154 was because of the glove size

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Conor I think would have a hard time making 147. Mayweather is absolutely trolling he knows the rules won't change. It will be 10oz gloves, everybody relax

Floyd's statement is doing exactly what he wanted it to do....

He also tagged Grant in the post and not Conor, its just an ad

• Anyone else cringing at the stuff that's on SSN at the moment about the fight? Jim Whyte is awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Were they not mocking Cyborg at weekend?

No more Kavanagh comments from me

They were, and IMO bang out of order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Can't see this being legit or even possible, but I hope Conor tells him to **** off. Agreeing is basically telling Floyd he needs an advantage.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Anyone else cringing at the stuff that's on SSN at the moment about the fight? Jim Whyte is awful

The interview with Dan Hardy yesterday was just as bad, she hadn't a clue what she was reading off the teleprompter but Dan came across well. To be fair, SSN have almost zero experience of covering MMA so it was always going to be alien to them but yeah it's cringe-inducing bad.

Saw Lorenzo Ferttita and his son Nicco dropped by the UFC PI last night to catch up with Conor, and Conor doing a sit-down interview with (I think) ESPN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Saw Lorenzo Ferttita and his son Nicco dropped by the UFC PI last night to catch up with Conor, and Conor doing a sit-down interview with (I think) ESPN.

Where do you see this stuff?

Where do you see this stuff?

I just follow everything Conor-related on social media :o If Conor takes a dump, it's usually on twitter or instagram within about 5 minutes.

Nevada Commission's response to the Mayweather tweet:
    Nevada State Athletic Commission Comments On Floyd’s Rule Change Suggestion

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has commented on Floyd Mayweather’s recent rule change suggestion. Mayweather has stated that he’s willing to let Conor McGregor use 8 ounce gloves and he would also fight using the smaller gloves.

“These regulations are in place for the health and safety of the athletes, which is of the utmost importance to the commission. Our regulations already outline the appropriate glove size according to contracted weight of a fight,” said Executive Director Bob Bennett according to ESPN.

This basically means that NSAC will not allow the suggested rule change. Both fighters will fight using 10 ounce gloves as per the original agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXSipWvgOFS/?taken-by=thenotoriousmma

Looks like he had another session with Paullie, 12 rounds this time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement