Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

darced wrote: »

His eye is swollen to bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

show us mcgregors face too tho dont tease

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Wolf tickets, get your wolf tickets here.

Wolf tickets, get your wolf tickets here.

The swelling over Paulie's eye is hardly a wolf ticket though...

There were many experts from the boxing forum who told me that even a fat, out-of-shape Paulie wouldn't get touched by Conor in sparring because boxing is the sweet science and Conor doesn't know how to box.

They've sparred twice and both times Paulie has emerged looking like he was jumped in a dark alley :pac:

It might just be possible that Conor is really good at fighting, regardless of the discipline...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

This is worth a watch................. :P

This guy (he might be Batman) reads Paulie's body language and gives his take on what he feels Paulie was really saying in that first post-sparring interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

There were many experts from the boxing forum who told me that even a fat, out-of-shape Paulie wouldn't get touched by Conor in sparring because boxing is the sweet science and Conor doesn't know how to box.

They've sparred twice and both times Paulie has emerged looking like he was jumped in a dark alley :pac:

It might just be possible that Conor is really good at fighting, regardless of the discipline...

Well for one, you said his eye was "swollen to bits". That's different from having a bit of swelling. There was mention of "McGregor getting the better of it" and there's "not a mark on McGregor". All based off a tightly controlled social media message. The ****e with the photo of Mlambo on the floor and "McGregor couldn't keep his instincts in check" is such a load of ****e as well.

As for your final line, I suspect you're fishing a bit so I won't might. Hard to know though when it comes to your love of him ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So he went 12 rounds with a completely out of shape Paulie and barely touched him. A bit of bruising, that could easily have come from a clash of heads. And we are still to believe he's a chance against one of TBE??

Can't wait for this farce to be over and hopefully get back to proper fighting. Like Conor vs Sheamus to see who the true Celtic Warrior is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Can't wait for this farce to be over and hopefully get back to proper fighting. Like Conor vs Sheamus to see who the true Celtic Warrior is.

nobody is forcing you to watch the fight, or comment on this thread.

If it bothers you that much, just click "unfollow" and ignore it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Conor is carefully controlling exactly what these guys are saying to the media, don't be naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

By bringing in the 2 biggest loudmouths in the sport of boxing in Paulie and Cortez into his camp, maybe McGregor is trying to channel the mind games that Collins performed on Eubank way back when.

Only problem is I don't see Mayweather falling for any of this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

everlast75 wrote: »
    nobody is forcing you to watch the fight, or comment on this thread.

If it bothers you that much, just click "unfollow" and ignore it

Easy buttercup, it was a joke, hence the real Celtic Warrior face-off comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

It looks more like he's controlling what gets leaked to the media to make himself look good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

If I look like that after getting jumped in a dark alley, i'd be very happy. He looks like he has been sparring, don't get dramatic on us here.

Of course, we haven't seen what McGregor is looking like yet, have we ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Gintonious wrote: »
    If I look like that after getting jumped in a dark alley, i'd be very happy. He looks like he has been sparring, don't get dramatic on us here.

Of course, we haven't seen what McGregor is looking like yet, have we ;)

I've looked worse after sparring myself.

I think Paulie is being honest with his assessments. He may be used to sparring with much heavier guys than McGregor who would hit harder so to him maybe his power isn't that spooky.

pone2012 wrote: »
    It looks more like he's controlling what gets leaked to the media to make himself look good

Probably but I don't see many fighters putting out negative stories about themselves to try scare the opposition :p

The details of last nights spar are fascinating to be fair, sounds like an episode of Eastenders or something.

Paulie is saying it was a "set-up" that he arrived to Dana White and Lorenzo Ferttita ringside and was told he was going to be going 12-rounds, he wasn't happy about it and went mad at someone in Conor's camp basically saying "if you want my help I'm here to help but if you're going to just take the p1ss out of me I won't bother". He wasn't happy he had only got off a plane the other night, didn't feel he was in the shape to go 12 rounds and had a chip on his shoulder that they were taking the micky out of a 2-time-world-champion.

Paulie says Conor made a fast start and faded after the 5th round where Paulie then "made a point" but says Conor came back at him strongly in rounds 11 and 12. That's obviously spin (possibly even pro-Conor-spin) but it does sound about right cardio wise, at least.

Lastly, Paulie said Conor has made big improvements even in the 2 weeks he was gone, that he's throwing shorter punches and sitting down on them better and they emerged from the session with a newfound mutual respect.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I've looked worse after sparring myself.

I think Paulie is being honest with his assessments. He may be used to sparring with much heavier guys than McGregor who would hit harder so to him maybe his power isn't that spooky.

He has a small mouse over his eye and a mark on the bridge of his nose, let me know of these alleys he walks down and ill be sure to use them.

He is also retired and not in shape for fighting. If they went 12 rounds thats impressive for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

Conor getting slaughtered on /r/boxing

"After seeing the shape Paulie is in and the fact he went 12 with McGregor even in sparring is embarrassing."

• Advertisement

“We had 12 rounds of sparring last night. It was good work, hard work. I actually wasn’t too thrilled that they wanted me to go twelve rounds 24 hours after getting off a cross country flight. Especially when I hadn’t worked all last week, so I wasn’t thrilled and I kinda came into the gym last night with a bit of a chip on my shoulder and the sparring got intense, it got heated,” said Malignaggi. “We went 12 hard rounds and I think I made my point last night I’ll say that. Basically, don’t f— with me. I’m here to help, I’m here to do the best I can for you guys, so don’t try to take advantage of me. Don’t try to make like you’re running a two-time world champion out of your camp or whatnot.”

“Honestly I questioned last night whether I could go twelve rounds and the first five rounds of back-and-forth action, I wasn’t really sure I could go the full twelve. Then as we got to round six, he started fading a little bit and that’s when I really tried to dig in there and that’s when I said you know what I’m going to stay in here, I got a point to make tonight. I managed to last until about 12, but in rounds 11 and 12 he came back and put it on me. I just totally gassed out in the eleventh and twelfth. So we returned the favors to each other last night.”

And from reddit
    McGregor was able to sparr Malignaggi for 12 rounds, who hadn't been training and came off a long flight. So... Wow, that is defenitely not even close to enough to upset Floyd Money****ing Mayweather....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Gintonious wrote: »
    He has a small mouse over his eye and a mark on the bridge of his nose, let me know of these alleys he walks down and ill be sure to use them.

He is also retired and not in shape for fighting. If they went 12 rounds thats impressive for both.

Agreed. To be honest I'd have expected McGregor to really have either put it on him pace wise or battered him much worse, purely based on fitness levels.

Goes to show how good Paulie is that he can be that out of shape and still hold his own against a much younger and fitter guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Does anyone know if they're using 10oz gloves in sparring too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Tefral

Does anyone know if they're using 10oz gloves in sparring too?

Surely heavier? 12oz maybe?

16oz is the norm for sparring, I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

16oz grant sparring gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Conor getting slaughtered on /r/boxing

"After seeing the shape Paulie is in and the fact he went 12 with McGregor even in sparring is embarrassing."

One post.

It's embarrassing that a two time world champ can't put away a 0-0 fighter with no boxing experience, even if he's out of shape. He retired in 2017 not 1997..

They wear 16oz gloves and headgear, unless you are a heavyweight, it's gonna be hard to put some away in sparring.

Kevin Lee is an MMA fighter and Floyd didn't stop him in sparring...

Conor can't win regardless of what he does in sparring but 12 good rounds with a former world champion can't be bad at this stage of camp.

The boxing experts were all saying beforehand that a fat, out-of-shape Paulie would kill Conor in sparring because "it's the sweet science bruh, Conor ain't a boxer", yet here we are 2 sessions in and Conor emerging with virtually no damage in either, with Owen Roddy (who is usually level-headed) saying he wasn't even touched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

So Woodley suspended until the end of January. Despite reports to the contrary, I just can't see McGregor back in the octagon in 2017. I expect Tony and Khabib to go at it (hopefully) towards the end of the year (Nov 4 in MSG), which might just allow time for Conor to have a pop at Woodley early next year, and then perhaps go at the winner of the 155 contender, and then maybe GSP, if we want to get carried away altogether...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ush1 wrote: »
    Agreed. To be honest I'd have expected McGregor to really have either put it on him pace wise or battered him much worse, purely based on fitness levels.

Goes to show how good Paulie is that he can be that out of shape and still hold his own against a much younger and fitter guy.

:confused:

Why would you think McGregor should batter a pro boxer?

Remember, McGregor is paying this lad. So hes been told how to box etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement