Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Kevin Lee is an MMA fighter and Floyd didn't stop him in sparring...

Conor can't win regardless of what he does in sparring but 12 good rounds with a former world champion can't be bad at this stage of camp.

The boxing experts were all saying beforehand that a fat, out-of-shape Paulie would kill Conor in sparring because "it's the sweet science bruh, Conor ain't a boxer", yet here we are 2 sessions in and Conor emerging with virtually no damage in either, with Owen Roddy (who is usually level-headed) saying he wasn't even touched.

Ah come off it pal, of course Owen is going to say that, he is hardly going to say "Conor is getting the head bashed off him, but we will be ready for the real fight"

We haven't seen photos of McGregor yet after this sparring session, so I would hold off on judgement on anything until we see something/anything.

And for that, Paulie isn't in as roughed up shape as you have made out in the previous posts, he has a small swelling on his eye and a bruise on the bridge of his nose.

Sparring 12 rounds with a former world champ is very impressive, its equally as impressive that the former champ is out of shape and wasn't planning on doing 12 rounds yet still did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Where can one see this interview about the sparring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

"After seeing the shape Paulie is in and the fact he went 12 with McGregor even in sparring is embarrassing."

But I thought even an out of shape Paulie would destroy the non boxer? Same as a regional Irish amateur would destroy the non boxer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

So Woodley suspended until the end of January. Despite reports to the contrary, I just can't see McGregor back in the octagon in 2017. I expect Tony and Khabib to go at it (hopefully) towards the end of the year (Nov 4 in MSG), which might just allow time for Conor to have a pop at Woodley early next year, and then perhaps go at the winner of the 155 contender, and then maybe GSP, if we want to get carried away altogether...

It has already been stated that Conor next UFC fight is LW defense before the end of 2017...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

GerryDerpy wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

In reality, it's all circumspect and supposition as to what's really happening in sparring. What is undoubtedly - matter of factly, absolutely hilarious - is the boxing contingents not-so-subtle rowing back on Paulie's seeming prowess, or lack thereof. 'Oh, he's out of shape/ he's retired/ he's pillow-fisted...' and on and on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

GerryDerpy wrote: »

You can see the damage on his eye a bit better here and he's pretty sheepish trying to explain why he marks up easier (blames the headgear).

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/20231739/conor-mcgregor-paulie-malignaggi-go-12-rounds-second-sparring-session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Seems like Conor didnt get Paulie in for advice etc . He got him in to try embarrass and make a fool out of him . Which didnt happen .

Sad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

But I thought even an out of shape Paulie would destroy the non boxer? Same as a regional Irish amateur would destroy the non boxer?

...with one hand tied behind their backs too, was the general hardcore boxing fan consensus.

Not least of all, Paulie, who added ankle weights and half a neck brace :p

How out of shape could Paulie really be anyway. He's carrying a little more weight for sure, but Paulie's never been the slimmest of guys between fights, or even during fights....

Paulie-Malignaggi-10-2.jpg

And lets not forget, this is a boxer who fought for the WBC Welterweight title just this past March.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Seems like Conor didnt get Paulie in for advice etc . He got him in to try embarrass and make a fool out of him . Which didnt happen .

Sad!

Chill out Donald.

He brought him in as a sparring partner, I'm sure they take his advice on board afterwards. Doesn't help that Paullie gives about 6 interviews after every session

• Advertisement

...with one hand tied behind their backs too, was the general hardcore boxing fan consensus.

Not least of all, Paulie, who added ankle weights and half a neck brace :p

How out of shape could Paulie really be anyway. He's carrying a little more weight for sure, but Paulie's never been the slimmest of guys between fights, or even during fights....

Paulie-Malignaggi-10-2.jpg

And lets not forget, this is a boxer who fought for the WBC Welterweight title just this past March.

What do you expect a sparring partner to do ? Genuinely curious .

What do you expect a sparring partner to do ? Genuinely curious .

Not give an interview after every session would be a good start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

You can see the damage on his eye a bit better here and he's pretty sheepish trying to explain why he marks up easier (blames the headgear).

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/20231739/conor-mcgregor-paulie-malignaggi-go-12-rounds-second-sparring-session

He didn't blame the headgear, he said he wears open headgear so obviously he's going to get marked up after sparring, which is true.
    Look at the difference between the gear they are wearing.

It's this:

p31207_11_1519_euoh_hdgr_yw&$sm$&$freeship=1

vs this:

thgff-bk_1.jpg

With open competition headgear (the type that used to be use in AIBA sanctioned competition) your face is far more exposed and the leather of the gloves can actually touch your skin, you can actually get punched in the eye, your nose and chin are exposed.

With the second type, you don't get marked up, your entire face is protected, you don't get cut, you don't get black eyes, you barely get marked at all because of the level of padding.

The benefits of open headgear are that it's lighter, more comfortable, and you have a better field of vision, cons are you can still get cuts and get marked.

The benefits of the full face gear is your chin, cheeks, and eyes are all protected from cuts and bruises, there's more padding so knockdowns are far less likely, cons are they are heavy, annoying to wear for a long time, and your vision is limited.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Not give an interview after every session would be a good start

I agree . However Conor should be releasing carefully selected photos either. Im sure Paulie knows its all part of the show though.

In reality, it's all circumspect and supposition as to what's really happening in sparring. What is undoubtedly - matter of factly, absolutely hilarious - is the boxing contingents not-so-subtle rowing back on Paulie's seeming prowess, or lack thereof. 'Oh, he's out of shape/ he's retired/ he's pillow-fisted...' and on and on.

Yeah, I mean I didn't go digging too far but our boxing forum comrades were busy telling us that Conor has no shot against any club amateur boxer even in sparring.
    Gintonious wrote: »
    If punches are coming from a far on a normal pro boxer, they will be avoided and countered easy. Do that to Mayweather and you are eating counters for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The clinch won't work that much for him either because it will be stopped by the ref, as it should be.

Here's Gin telling us if Conor fights from an MMA stance and range, his punches won't land on a "pro boxer".

Paulie's face disagrees.
    Imagibe being of sane mind and thinking McGregor could win.

If he landed even one on the face/head i would give him praise

Barring a freak injury of course

Won't land a single punch on a pro boxer apparently.
    unfortunately due to being blinded by their obsession with him a few people can't differentiate between being a great boxer in a mma world and being an actual professional boxer .

And not only a professional boxer . being a future hall of famer
    Genuine question . How does he get to the 9th ?

Conor not a boxer, we're blinded by obsession, he has no chance of getting to the 9th round..
    walshb wrote: »
    Also, one has to consider his boxing career as an amateur. He didn't make it near the top...

I think it's more than reasonable to say no, he does not make it to a decent pro level....

Failed as an amateur... reasonable to say he'd suck as a pro...

Boxing is still boxing and I'd still back my house on Conor getting obliterated by any half decent pro boxer.

Ok...

Forget even the lower weights,

Irish amateur internationals would be far too good for Conor

On a serious point, it's only sparring.

But from the tone of the posts from the boxing forum, we were all led to believe that any half decent professional boxer worth his salt would destroy Conor (even in sparring) and not get touched.

"LOL you don't understand the Sweet Science bro"...

I'm not going to crow over Conor being competitive in sparring with Paulie because I knew he'd be competitive but I just hope WHEN he beats Floyd you'll reassess your thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I'm confused. Did Conor beat Paulie in a boxing match?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Its pleasing to see Pauli has his knickers in a twist, he was mouthing trying to get the fight now hes getting paid to spar while being put up in a house and hes still crying because hes not schooling the amatuer, everyone knows my stance on Conor as a boxer I give him no chance against Floyd but this is very amusing the vibes from Pauli lead me to believe hes getting lit up and is using excuses like 6 hour flights to excuse it.

I'm confused. Did Conor beat Paulie in a boxing match?

I had 3 of your mock-Conor's-boxing posts quoted as well but you didn't make the final cut :)

Gamebred wrote: »
    ... this is very amusing the vibes from Pauli lead me to believe hes getting lit up and is using excuses like 6 hour flights to excuse it.

Don't forget the headgear... only getting the black eyes because of his choice of headgear apparently...

• Advertisement

Can't keep up with all the interviews Paulie is doing since the '12 rounds' spar but here's a facetime one he appears to have given TMZ and he's looking a little more bruised than he was anyway............

tmzpaulie.png

And here's another.............

Any reason you think the clinch should be stopped Gintonious? Plenty of boxers have excelled in the past with technical work like Duran and a few boxers currently operate very well from the clinch like GGG and Kovalev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Conor not a boxer, we're blinded by obsession, he has no chance of getting to the 9th round..

Failed as an amateur... reasonable to say he'd suck as a pro...

Ok...

On a serious point, it's only sparring.

But from the tone of the posts from the boxing forum, we were all led to believe that any half decent professional boxer worth his salt would destroy Conor (even in sparring) and not get touched.

"LOL you don't understand the Sweet Science bro"...

I'm not going to crow over Conor being competitive in sparring with Paulie because I knew he'd be competitive but I just hope WHEN he beats Floyd you'll reassess your thinking.

Why are you quoting me and applying the points I made to spars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Whatever Paulie is being paid, he's more than earning his keep with the news he's generating, nevermind his boxing services. The two lads are probably rubbing their hands together...

Gamebred wrote: »
    Its pleasing to see Pauli has his knickers in a twist, he was mouthing trying to get the fight now hes getting paid to spar while being put up in a house and hes still crying because hes not schooling the amatuer, everyone knows my stance on Conor as a boxer I give him no chance against Floyd but this is very amusing the vibes from Pauli lead me to believe hes getting lit up and is using excuses like 6 hour flights to excuse it.

This is bizzare . School the amatuer . He is not there to do that . Does Dillon Danis school him when they roll ?

@wonderfullife

I have no idea why you are quoting me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭xtal191

God I cant wait for this ****show to be over, finally get back to talking about Conor competing in mma.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

The sudden downplaying of Paulie's achievements since Conor went 12 rounds and finished the stronger, is exactly why Paulie's been so hesitant to praise Conor. He has the boxing world calling him an out of shape bum because he allowed an MMA guy go 12 rounds. Imagine the backlash if he were to say Conor actually does have "omg power" - 'what, you were rocked by an MMA guy?' His reputation would be in the gutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

noc1980 wrote: »
    The sudden downplaying of Paulie's achievements since Conor went 12 rounds and finished the stronger, is exactly why Paulie's been so hesitant to praise Conor. He has the boxing world calling him an out of shape bum because he allowed an MMA guy go 12 rounds. Imagine the backlash if he were to say Conor actually does have "omg power" - 'what, you were rocked by an MMA guy?' His reputation would be in the gutter.

Imagine what they will call Floyd when McGregor goes 12 rounds with him!!!*

* I jest

• Advertisement

noc1980 wrote: »

He is sparring the guy ? Of course it would go 12 rounds or however long was agreed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement