Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

xtal191 wrote: »
    God I cant wait for this ****show to be over, finally get back to talking about Conor competing in mma.

Someone saying this exact same thing every couple of pages isn't going to make it go by any faster :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

This is bizzare . School the amatuer . He is not there to do that . Does Dillon Danis school him when they roll ?

Grappling is completely different, you can train 100% every session if you want im sure Danis has tapped him many times, its just Danis hasnt been out there ****ting on his skills pre camp so massive difference here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

everlast75 wrote: »
    Imagine what they will call Floyd when McGregor goes 12 rounds with him!!!*

* I jest

If he legitimately goes 12 with Floyd fighting to not allow him go 12 then Floyd will rightly get slated.

If Floyd toys with him and carries him 12 whilst clearly dominating him then so be it.

Folks with half a brain will be able to tell the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

In fairness wonder, while I understand the point you're trying to make, all those guys you quoted were in reference to a professional fight against Floyd Mayweather and not a sparring contests against Pauli.

Apparently Paulie has a book coming out soon, "Me and Conor McGregor : A boxers journey" about the 20 rounds he sparred with McGregor. He's doing a signing in Eason's next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Apparently Paulie has a book coming out soon, "Me and Conor McGregor : A boxers journey" about the 20 rounds he sparred with McGregor. He's doing a signing in Eason's next week.

I feel sorry for his writer trying to keep up with everything he is saying

Gamebred wrote: »
    Grappling is completely different, you can train 100% every session if you want im sure Danis has tapped him many times, its just Danis hasnt been out there ****ting on his skills pre camp so massive difference here.

Paulie has to be honest in what he was saying though . He is the face of showtime now . Conor has a chance to prove everyone wrong but he cant be offended for what was said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

walshb wrote: »
    If he legitimately goes 12 with Floyd fighting to not allow him go 12 then Floyd will rightly get slated.

If Floyd toys with him and carries him 12 whilst clearly dominating him then so be it.

Folks with half a brain will be able to tell the difference.

Clearly the *I jest wasn't big enough for to you see

everlast75 wrote: »
    Clearly the *I jest wasn't big enough for to you see

Next time please underline, bold and bubble wrap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

In fairness wonder, while I understand the point you're trying to make, all those guys you quoted were in reference to a professional fight against Floyd Mayweather and not a sparring contests against Pauli.

Nah.

Maybe I didn't get the right posts but all of the boxing forum experts were saying Conor wouldn't touch a pro-boxer in sparring or a fight.

Walshb and Sweet Science in particular basically saying Conor wouldn't beat a mid-level Irish amateur and won't land a glove on an elite pro-boxer...

August 27th is going to be a good day.

• Advertisement

Nah.

Maybe I didn't get the right posts but all of the boxing forum experts were saying Conor wouldn't touch a pro-boxer in sparring or a fight.

Walshb and Sweet Science in particular basically saying Conor wouldn't beat a mid-level Irish amateur and won't land a glove on an elite pro-boxer...

Sorry, where did we say this as regards a spar?

I said he would get beaten by a mid level amateur.. I would be very confident on that.

He likely will land a glove on an elite pro boxer. Big deal. He will still get thoroughly beaten.

Your constant making sh1t up to bolster your clueless logic on why Conor beats an ATG pro here is just plain silly.

When Conor is thoroughly beaten will you apologize for doubting/dissing those who said he would be thoroughly beaten.

When Conor is thoroughly beaten will you apologize for doubting/dissing those who said he would be thoroughly beaten.

Of course, if he loses I'll be the first to congratulate Floyd on the victory and congratulate you for your prediction.

You'll probably still be saying it was a work/fix/scam/rigged if Conor wins though...

You'll probably still be saying it was a work/fix/scam/rigged if Conor wins though...

I don't think so. I think we all agree that of all the possible shenanigans that Floyd fixing to lose is next to impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

When does the audiobook come out ?

Nah.

When was this said ? He is sparring . He is being paid to help Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

When does the audiobook come out ?

Been delayed until OJ gets out of the clink as hes doing the spoken audio.

Yup. "OK next 3 rounds throw jabs..... now work the body............now try cut the ring off" etc.

McGregors crew didn't just tell him to go out and treat it like a free flowing 12 round fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Lit up like a christmas tree pmsl at his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gamebred wrote: »
    Lit up like a christmas tree pmsl at his face.

He looks like hes had a gentle play with my cat and briefly put his face too close.

I think Floyd will play it very safe for the first 3-4 rounds (as he does) and then get a handle on it and easily stop him in the mid rounds.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fitzparker

If Conor is putting Paulie up in the team house, im sure they dont mind him doing the 122 interviews seem as though he is doing it in the bedroom next to them... probably holding up signs with buzz words with "god like" and "unbelievable" when TMZ ring

Gintonious wrote: »
    Of course, we haven't seen what McGregor is looking like yet, have we ;)

Yeah, we have. Looks like Paulie battered him alright...

https://twitter.com/DuncanFrench/status/892621200043540480

• Advertisement

This is gas :)

According to Paulie it was an "ambush", a "set up", that it was 12 rounds of a proper fight that, quote, "you could have charged entry money for".

If that's all true, then it's a pretty good sign that, even according to Paulie, Conor made a "fast start" rounds 1-5 and closed strong in rounds 11 and 12.

If the disparity between pro boxers and Conor in a boxing ring was as wide as the boxing experts made out, then Conor would have emerged battered after 12 rounds, even with 16oz gloves.

Instead he emerged fresh as a daisy not a mark on him, while Paulie was (again) left touched up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

So, who's dared to consider the long-term ramifications of a Conor win? To think that there's the potential for Conor not only signal the death knell on a storied career and legacy, but perhaps on a sport as a whole...

In its premier market where the proliferation of boxing gyms is not what it once was, where might the brightest prospects naturally gravitate to? Sure, the dollars are still in boxing, but the grumblings of late in the UFC will doubtless change its pay landscape in the next 5-10 years - to what extent exactly remains to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yeah, we have. Looks like Paulie battered him alright...

https://twitter.com/DuncanFrench/status/892621200043540480

Incredible air con they must have in the UFC institute. Not a bead of sweat on him after twelve rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

According to Paulie it was an "ambush", a "set up", that it was 12 rounds of a proper fight that, quote, "you could have charged entry money for".

If that's all true, then it's a pretty good sign that, even according to Paulie, Conor made a "fast start" rounds 1-5 and closed strong in rounds 11 and 12.

If the disparity between pro boxers and Conor in a boxing ring was as wide as the boxing experts made out, then Conor would have emerged battered after 12 rounds, even with 16oz gloves.

Instead he emerged fresh as a daisy not a mark on him, while Paulie was (again) left touched up.

In a Title full face head gear? Are you for real? It's next to in possible to get cut or bruised in that gear, that's why he's using it.

You honestly haven't a notion what you're on about.

16oz gloves are very wide full face gear is very big, combine both and the leather can't actually touch the skin around the eyes and cheeks. That's the entire point of the design to stop cuts and swelling in sparring.

Paulie was wearing light open-faced head gear, the same type that was used in AIBA competition until recently.

But sure, Paulie didn't touch Conor because Owen Roddy said so...

My take away is Conor gassed in the fifth round after going as hard as he could to hurt Paulie and then finished stronger when Paulie who hasn't sparred 12 rounds since February and hasn't trained in over a week gassed.

If he gasses against Floyd he's getting stopped, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

Will the Fertitas debut the UFC at some point? Been rejected with their endeavour to sign an NFL team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Will the Fertitas debut the UFC at some point? Been rejected with their endeavour to sign an NFL team

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Lorenzo's arms are ridiculous!

In a Title full face head gear? Are you for real? It's next to in possible to get cut or bruised in that gear, that's why he's using it.

You honestly haven't a notion what you're on about.

16oz gloves are very wide full face gear is very big, combine both and the leather can't actually touch the skin around the eyes and cheeks. That's the entire point of the design to stop cuts and swelling in sparring.

LMAO I love all the back-tracking going on in here now that Conor, by all accounts, did very well against Malignaggi twice.

Your opinion last December in multiple posts was that Conor would be destroyed in a boxing ring by Paulie. Fair enough, you never stipulated sparring.
    Malignaggi would puck the ears off him too.

You also said Conor has not a hope against any top 10 amateur Irish boxer.
    Conor wouldn't have a hope in hell against any top 10 amateur in his weight class in Ireland in a boxing match, never mind the best boxer of the last 20 odd years and a man in the running for the greatest of all time argument.

You also said Floyd and/or pro boxers could use "actual pillows" against Conor and still beat the head off him.
    It wouldn't matter if he used actual pillows. Nate Diaz nearly KO'd Conor twice and he doesn't hit as hard as Mayweather. Conor gets hit a lot and Floyds hand speed will be far too much for him, he'll be getting beat around the ring until he either gives up or gets dropped by accumulative damage.

By the way you (and others) were carrying on, Conor wouldn't be able to even hold his own against Malignaggi in sparring, he'd be hitting fresh air and being thoroughly embarrassed and jabbed to death.

Now that Conor apparently has done really well, the story becomes:

"Big woop-de-doo it's only sparring"
    "Big headgear"
    "Big gloves"
    "Big deal Paulie out of shape"
    "Big swing Paulie was never any good"
    "Meh. Floyd will spark him".

You're aware it's possible to be wrong? I'm certainly willing to say I'm wrong if Floyd embarrasses Conor in 3 weeks time but right now Conor has already proved a lot of you boxing experts wrong by simply being competitive against an elite boxer in sparring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

@gamebred: what does pmsl mean?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement