Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Just how ****ed are McGregors knees? Notice you never see him doing roadwork for any of his camps, always rowing or cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

cletus wrote:
    @gamebred: what does pmsl mean?

Paulie Malinaggi Sly Liar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Here's Gin telling us if Conor fights from an MMA stance and range, his punches won't land on a "pro boxer".

If you read the next sentence in the post you quoted, you will see I referenced Mayweather as well. And how do you know it was from an MMA stance? And what sort of shape is Conors face in?

And you can change the "pro boxer" to "retired pro boxer".

Carry on.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Any reason you think the clinch should be stopped Gintonious? Plenty of boxers have excelled in the past with technical work like Duran and a few boxers currently operate very well from the clinch like GGG and Kovalev.

It depends on the referee.

Some let the clinch go on for longer and some break it up very quickly. Look at Hatton and Mayweathers fight, the clinch was part of Hattons plan but the referee broke them up very quickly.

There is still no guarantee that the clinch will favour McGregor either, clinching in MMA and Boxing are very different. Bigger gloves make it harder as well to move and if one boxers just hold up the fight and extinguishes the other fighters attack from just holding on, the fighters will be told to break.

Yeah, we have. Looks like Paulie battered him alright...

https://twitter.com/DuncanFrench/status/892621200043540480

Jaysis, he looks knackered there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Gintonious wrote: »
    And you can change the "pro boxer" to "retired pro boxer".

Carry on.

Oh now it's "Paulie is a retired boxer".

Paulie fought 4 times since Floyd last fought and won 3 of those.

Oh now it's "Paulie is a retired boxer".

Paulie fought 4 times since Floyd last fought and won 3 of those.

Paulie is retired, what are you talking about?

So what if he has fought 4 times since Floyd fought?

Gintonious wrote: »
    Paulie is retired, what are you talking about?

So what if he has fought 4 times since Floyd fought?

You're trying to diminish the sparring on the basis Paulie a retired boxer, in reality he's retired 5 months.

Floyd has been retired for 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I seriously doubt Conor got the best of Paulie in any meaningful way at any stage in that sparring session. He said that Conor came at him strong in the early rounds which could mean anything. Coming out fast winging shots and missing for instance.

I'd say he gave McGregor a bit of a hiding in the middle rounds, gassed out and in 11 and 12 Conor got a few decent shots in hence the mutual respect thing now. Come fight night Floyd wont gas and should have enough to finish him by about the 9th

Just how ****ed are McGregors knees? Notice you never see him doing roadwork for any of his camps, always rowing or cycling.

I will confess I don't know anything about good rowing form but I have heard a lot of slagging about Conor's form.

And anytime I have seen him cycling he's got flat pedals and gym shoes, plus his training partners are some pudgy lads in jeans. Very amateurish, doubly so considering his doctor is an ex-cyclist.

It just doesn't seem like serious training. More like posing for the cameras. I know in his early UFC days he did a 'training video' pushing a weighted sled in a parking garage and he later confessed it's not something he had ever done before.

• Advertisement

You're trying to diminish the sparring on the basis Paulie a retired boxer, in reality he's retired 5 months.

Floyd has been retired for 2 years.

I'm not diminishing anything.

All we have to go off is an account of what happened from Paulie, who has a small mouse on his eye and a bruise on his nose.

If anything I am pointing out that Paulie isn't an active boxer right now, thats by his own admission as well. He isn't fight ready and wasn't ready for a camp when they contacted him. Thats just how it is.

Floyd has been walking around for 2 years at the weight he will fight at in a few weeks, he never lets himself get out of shape.

So you are comparing apples and oranges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Really lads, other than wonder, who actually gives a **** about McGregor's sparring or what Andrew McGahon or Roddy or ANYBODY BEING PAID BY MCGREGOR says about it. It's propaganda. Nothing more.

Wonder, you're one step away from suggesting Marie m McGregor would take Malignaggi in a boxing match. Posting a photo from someone who works for the UFC as evidence of some sort of incredible performance. Wise up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Floyd says he hasnt stepped in the gym in 2 years till lately, I'd believe him too didnt see a sighting of him doing a thing from any the tmt accounts I follow hes been around the world and back a few times doing meet and greets.

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt Conor got the best of Paulie in any meaningful way at any stage in that sparring session. He said that Conor came at him strong in the early rounds which could mean anything. Coming out fast winging shots and missing for instance.

I'd say he gave McGregor a bit of a hiding in the middle rounds, gassed out and in 11 and 12 Conor got a few decent shots in hence the mutual respect thing now. Come fight night Floyd wont gas and should have enough to finish him by about the 9th

Paulie spars Conor twice, both times comes out with his face bruised and swollen in multiple spots and your deduction is "Paulie gave him a hiding"?.

Do you know what's very amusing to me?

Experts: Conor is crap at boxing, Van Heerden sparring proves it.

Also Experts: You can't deduce anything from Conor doing well in sparring against Paulie.

Wonder, you're one step away from suggesting Marie m McGregor would take Malignaggi in a boxing match. Posting a photo from someone who works for the UFC as evidence of some sort of incredible performance. Wise up.

Other posters wanted to see Conor's face after sparring because they implied maybe Paulie wrecked him.

I posted that photo to show he was looking grand, no cuts, no swelling, no mouses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

LMAO I love all the back-tracking going on in here now that Conor, by all accounts, did very well against Malignaggi twice.

Your opinion last December in multiple posts was that Conor would be destroyed in a boxing ring by Paulie. Fair enough, you never stipulated sparring.

You also said Conor has not a hope against any top 10 amateur Irish boxer.

You also said Floyd and/or pro boxers could use "actual pillows" against Conor and still beat the head off him.

By the way you (and others) were carrying on, Conor wouldn't be able to even hold his own against Malignaggi in sparring, he'd be hitting fresh air and being thoroughly embarrassed and jabbed to death.

Now that Conor apparently has done really well, the story becomes:

"Big woop-de-doo it's only sparring"
    "Big headgear"
    "Big gloves"
    "Big deal Paulie out of shape"
    "Big swing Paulie was never any good"
    "Meh. Floyd will spark him".

You're aware it's possible to be wrong? I'm certainly willing to say I'm wrong if Floyd embarrasses Conor in 3 weeks time but right now Conor has already proved a lot of you boxing experts wrong by simply being competitive against an elite boxer in sparring.

You are basing everything off sparring

Yet the video with Chris van herdeen is to be ignored because its only sparring

:)

Paulie spars Conor twice, both times comes out with his face bruised and swollen in multiple spots and your deduction is "Paulie gave him a hiding"?.

Do you know what's very amusing to me?

Experts: Conor is crap at boxing, Van Heerden sparring proves it.

Also Experts: You can't deduce anything from Conor doing well in sparring against Paulie.

The way you describe things really amazes me. From your "Paulie looks like he was beaten down an alley" to this "swollen in multiple spots".

He has had the same eye marked up, and one bruise on his nose. He wears open face headgear.

And again, so far we have Paulies account of it, nothing of any sort of description from anyone else, other than Roddy who would of course say Conor isn't getting touched, would be say otherwise?

You are basing everything off sparring

Yet the video with Chris van herdeen is to be ignored because its only sparring

:)

All you experts said Conor is crap at boxing BECAUSE of the van heerden sparring.

I've been consistent that Conor is going to do very well REGARDLESS of the Van Heerden and Malignaggi sparring.

I always believed Conor would shock people and do far better than most expected him to do and I finally came around to picking him to win the fight. It wasn't an easy pick because Floyd is excellent but Conor (in my opinion) is the best ever at being relaxed under pressure.

Emanuel Steward said something interesting in the Shane Mosley-Floyd fight which was Shane was too tense for much of it. Conor will be in there relaxed, eyes on the price, vision always on his target. He won't tense up, the occasion won't overwhelm him, he'll rise to it.

Other posters wanted to see Conor's face after sparring because they implied maybe Paulie wrecked him.

I posted that photo to show he was looking grand, no cuts, no swelling, no mouses.

There's similarly not a bead of sweat on him. Do you honestly believe the man in that photo is just after going 12 rounds with a very accomplished pro boxer? You take absolutely everything you see on social media as gospel when 90% of it is bull****, spin and hype. The UFC guy gets talked up by the UFC employee? Shock horror.

As for you refuting the suggestion that the top ten amateur boxers in Ireland would beat him, apart from your absolute utter devotion to him, what exactly is your rea soning for thinking he'd take them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

You're going to have a full on meltdown when he gets schooled in three weeks. It's going to be hilarious.

• Advertisement

All you experts said Conor is crap at boxing BECAUSE of the van heerden sparring.

I've been consistent that Conor is going to do very well REGARDLESS of the Van Heerden and Malignaggi sparring.

I always believed Conor would shock people and do far better than most expected him to do and I finally came around to picking him to win the fight. It wasn't an easy pick because Floyd is excellent but Conor (in my opinion) is the best ever at being relaxed under pressure.

Emanuel Steward said something interesting in the Shane Mosley-Floyd fight which was Shane was too tense for much of it. Conor will be in there relaxed, eyes on the price, vision always on his target. He won't tense up, the occasion won't overwhelm him, he'll rise to it.

You should apply for a job on the MacLife for PR or something man, that last paragraph brought a tear to my eye.

You're right, he is gonna win cause he will be relaxed, he might even do some yoga before just to be sure.

There's similarly not a bead of sweat on him. Do you honestly believe the man in that photo is just after going 12 rounds with a very accomplished pro boxer? You take absolutely everything you see on social media as gospel when 90% of it is bull****, spin and hype. The UFC guy gets talked up by the UFC employee? Shock horror.

Ummm.

His hair is slicked back from the sweat so yeah he just went 12 rounds.

They do have towels you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

I don't know how many times I have to say it . peoples opinion is not based off sparring or training etc . Its based off the fact that he isn't a pro boxer and doesn't even have an adult amateur career at Irish European or world level

That's it . There is nothing personal about Conor to it

He can be relaxed as he wants in there he's fighting a hall of famer in a different sport .

This can't be more straightforward

Your rationale can be summed up as "McGregor will win because I really like him"
    Conor will be in there relaxed, eyes on the price

I think we can all agree on that bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

By the way I know how protective title full face gear is because I use a Title Platinum (slightly cheaper version of the ones Conor is using) full face for sparring specifically because I don't want to get cuts and swelling as it's not a look I'd like to bring into the office for meetings.

They are extremely well padded and cover your cheekbones perfectly, especially after adjusting them. It's next to impossible to get marked at all wearing title full face gear.

The only headgear I've used with more cheek and eye protection are the Cleto Reyes Mexican style which you can barely see out of.

By the way I know how protective title full face gear is because I use a Title Platinum (slightly cheaper version of the ones Conor is using) full face for sparring specifically because I don't want to get cuts and swelling as it's not a look I'd like to bring into the office for meetings.

They are extremely well padded and cover your cheekbones perfectly, especially after adjusting them. It's next to impossible to get marked at all wearing title full face gear.

The only headgear I've used with more cheek and eye protection are the Cleto Reyes Mexican style which you can barely see out of.

Well that's exactly what you would say. You're just a McGregor hater after all. Can't give him credit anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

wonder, seriously, put down the internet till August 27..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Lads ye post just as much as him, if not more and ye're not even fans.

Says who?

• Advertisement

Do we have to be fans to post?

FYI, I am a fan of McGregor, supported him in his MMA fights all the way.

This is a bit different though, wouldn't you agree?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement