Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

walshb wrote: »
    wonder, seriously, put down the internet till August 27..

I admire his loyalty to the man . I think he is completely blinded by it but its impressive .

Lukker- wrote: »
    Lads ye post just as much as him, if not more and ye're not even fans.

I've probably been to more Conor fights that 95% of people on this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

You're going to have a full on meltdown when he gets schooled in three weeks. It's going to be hilarious.

I get ridiculed plenty in these McGregor threads and maybe you all think it's justified but I've gotten a lot of things right too. Law of averages I suppose because I've been wrong plenty also.

Last August, before the Nate 2 rematch, I said:
    I'd put money on him vacating (assuming he beats Nate).

Walks straight to top of LW queue to face Alvarez at MSG.

While constantly being told nah he'll rematch Aldo or Nate trilogy in December.

October 2016, I said they might look to remove flyweight and 8 months later DJ is complaining they threatened to close the division on him.
    I genuinely would not be surprised if they look to remove a division either - possibly flyweight. I know it sounds unthinkable but there's no draws or stars in the division and it makes the company no money.

Put it this way, if they told Mighty Mouse to move up to Bantamweight and closed the Flyweight division, would anybody truly miss it?

In November 2016 when everyone was rubbishing the idea of Conor ever fighting Floyd I was pretty positive about the thing:
    I think the fight happens in 2017. WME/IMG are all about cross-promotion and fluid content and, most importantly, taking risks. Ari Emmanuel is one of the biggest risk takers out there. Conor likes to take risks. They all like money. Co-promoting a boxing fight against Floyd would make them a fortune.

Dozens of posters were saying it will never ever happen...
    If the fight was ever to happen, which it won't, Floyd would concede nothing. He got canelo to cut a further 2lbs to 152 and calls all the shots here. He's the alpha, not McGregor.

Anyway it's possible I'm also correct that the disparity in techniques, ability, mentality etc between Floyd and Conor is not as wide as people think.

We'll find out in 3 weeks but there's also a high % chance if Conor wins I won't shut up about it for 3 years :)

Ummm.

His hair is slicked back from the sweat so yeah he just went 12 rounds.

They do have towels you know?

I hope one day I can find a partner as loyal to me, like you are with McGregor :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Anyway it's possible I'm also correct that the disparity in techniques, ability, mentality etc between Floyd and Conor is not as wide as people think.

We'll find out in 3 weeks but there's also a high % chance if Conor wins I won't shut up about it for 3 years :)

What has any of your history of being right about the things you referred to got to do with the outcome of a boxing match?

Of course it is possible, anything is possible, but the overwhelming probability is that you are not correct. For just one second, set your love off McGregor aside and think about what you just said. I'll ignore the mentality side of things because I think it's daft to compare but you have just said the disparity in ability and technique is not as wide some people think. This is in relation to a professional boxing match where one of the participants will be making his professional debut. What planet are you on?!

• Advertisement

Your rationale can be summed up as "McGregor will win because I really like him"

I think we can all agree on that bit.

Freudian slip.

My rationale is I believe Conor is capable of magical things and, in practical terms, Floyd is at his weakest when covering distance. If Conor fights near kicking range, he'll be a lot more used to in-and-out attacks (and defence) from that range and I can see him winning rounds and/or dropping Floyd. I also think he does far better inside work than people give him credit for.

Also, Jeff Mayweather said yesterday that, quote, "Conor is under Floyd's skin, he wants the 8oz gloves because he wants to badly hurt him".

That's good.

That's good.

It's also almost certainly a lie.

What has any of your history of being right about the things you referred to got to do with the outcome of a boxing match?

Of course it is possible, anything is possible, but the overwhelming probability is that you are not correct. For just one second, set your love off McGregor aside and think about what you just said. I'll ignore the mentality side of things because I think it's daft to compare but you have just said the disparity in ability and technique is not as wide some people think. This is in relation to a professional boxing match where one of the participants will be making his professional debut. What planet are you on?!

I'm on the planet where all professional boxers fight at a certain distance, range, time punches a certain way, fight behind the jab etc.

Conor is going to do none of that. It's going to be karate-stance, weird range, weird set-ups, weird feints, weird timing.

Everything is going to look weird to Floyd in there and it's up to Conor to make it a good weird as opposed to an embarrassing weird.

It's also almost certainly a lie.

Well he said it with a straight face.

Freudian slip.

My rationale is I believe Conor is capable of magical things and, in practical terms, Floyd is at his weakest when covering distance. If Conor fights near kicking range, he'll be a lot more used to in-and-out attacks (and defence) from that range and I can see him winning rounds and/or dropping Floyd. I also think he does far better inside work than people give him credit for.

Also, Jeff Mayweather said yesterday that, quote, "Conor is under Floyd's skin, he wants the 8oz gloves because he wants to badly hurt him".

That's good.

Let's say for arguments sake Conor is holding his own with a fat Paulie . So that's the level he's at

Imagine Floyd announced he was fighting Paulie in 3 weeks

He'd be a laughing stock . Nobody would buy it . Showtime wouldn't want it and not one person in the world would give Paulie a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I don't even care about mayweather and mcgregor, I just want to a conclusive resolution to the rivalries on here.

I'm on the planet where all professional boxers fight at a certain distance, range, time punches a certain way, fight behind the jab etc.

Conor is going to do none of that. It's going to be karate-stance, weird range, weird set-ups, weird feints, weird timing.

Everything is going to look weird to Floyd in there and it's up to Conor to make it a good weird as opposed to an embarrassing weird.

Let's assume you're right about all that in terms of Floyd being confused and facing something he hadn't seen before. What about the other side of the coin? What about when McGregor throws a shot that might KO Eddie Alvarez but doesn't get within ten inches of Floyd's head. How will he feel about that? Or when he gets hot with five punches in turn when he's still trying to figure out how his one didn't land?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Freudian slip.

That's good.

I really have to bring up the distance point.

Giving a counterpuncher like Mayweather MORE time to see your attack coming is super dangerous, its a bad idea that can be added to the long and sad history of bad ideas.

Look at De La Hoya for instance, he gave Mayweather a really tough time of it and he was on top of him for pretty much all of the fight. Maidana had similar success with the rough and tough approach.

I can't see him dropping Floyd, whatever about landing on him with some shots, landing a shot from far back will be a hard sell.

As for the 8oz gloves and "Conor is under Floyds skin" from his camp, I believe as much coming from inside either teams camp as far as i could throw them (Paulie isn't part of Conors team before you jump on that).

Even if they do use 8oz gloves, I see that as an advantage (still) to Mayweather. But they won't, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Boxing Floyd from distance would be a very bad idea

Let's assume you're right about all that in terms of Floyd being confused and facing something he hadn't seen before. What about the other side of the coin? What about when McGregor throws a shot that might KO Eddie Alvarez but doesn't get within ten inches of Floyd's head. How will he feel about that? Or when he gets hot with five punches in turn when he's still trying to figure out how his one didn't land?

This.

No one seems to be looking at it from the other side.

It was pointed out in the Reddit thread that Conor (the young, in peak shape athlete) brings in a retired boxer in Mallinaggi.

Floyd (the older, retired boxer) has brought in Chris Eubank Jr, for sparring.

Roles reversed indeed.

Let's say for arguments sake Conor is holding his own with a fat Paulie . So that's the level he's at

Ok but let's flip that around.

Let's say Paulie was sparring Floyd for this camp and going the full 12-rounds, not getting dropped but losing the session.

That's all we'd expect from Floyd in sparring against Paulie, even a fat Paulie, right? Floyd isn't known for stopping people, let alone in 16oz gloves.

It's possible that Conor is doing as well as can be expected in the big gloves right now. It's very possible he's winning these sparring sessions if they were scored like a fight.

That's about all we'd expect Floyd to do with Paulie as well.

Ok but let's flip that around.

Let's say Paulie was sparring Floyd for this camp and going the full 12-rounds, not getting dropped but losing the session.

That's all we'd expect from Floyd in sparring against Paulie, even a fat Paulie, right? Floyd isn't known for stopping people, let alone in 16oz gloves.

It's possible that Conor is doing as well as can be expected in the big gloves right now. It's very possible he's winning these sparring sessions if they were scored like a fight.

That's about all we'd expect Floyd to do with Paulie as well.

Floyd sparring Paulie would be pointless . He'd be better off going for a 10 miler

What about when McGregor throws a shot that might KO Eddie Alvarez but doesn't get within ten inches of Floyd's head. How will he feel about that?

I don't know for certain but I'm confident Conor is well aware that he is going to miss with many shots in this contest. Floyd is known for making people miss, so Conor will be mentally readying himself to miss a lot.

Like Conor isn't a dummy. He sees punch stats from compubox. He knows fighters are doing extremely well to land on Floyd one punch for every five punches thrown.

I don't think he'll get frustrated in there.

I don't think he'll get frustrated in there.

But why do you think Floyd will??

But why do you think Floyd will??

In his defence he hasn't said he thinks he will, I hope he doesn't think that either.

• Advertisement

But why do think Floyd will??

I don't think he'll get frustrated at all.

What I see happening is very similar to the Mosley fight, where Shane had that great round 2 catching Floyd clean twice. Floyd went to his corner looking embarrassed and came out swinging in round 3 looking to close the distance fast and get his hands on Shane to punish him.

I see something similar. Conor will embarrass Floyd early on by catching him clean and Floyd will stew on it for a round or 2 and come right after Conor, thereby leaving a few openings to exploit.

Gintonious wrote: »
    In his defence he hasn't said he thinks he will, I hope he doesn't think that either.

True, possibly wrong but what I inferred from the previous post was that all these unorthodox stances and angles would confuse and frustrate him. Apologies if that's not what you were getting at wonder.

True, possibly wrong but what I inferred from the previous post was that all these unorthodox stances and angles would confuse and frustrate him. Apologies if that's not what you were getting at wonder.

It's ok. I don't think Floyd will get frustrated whatsoever but I do think Floyd is a perfectionist and gets embarrassed when someone hits him with a clean shot.

I believe that Floyd believes Conor won't catch him clean with one shot the entire fight. So Conor's chance rests on catching him with that one clean shot because we've seen over the years it awakens the beast in Floyd and he comes after opponents hard.

That's Conor's chance. It might sound slim alright but that's my thinking.

I don't think he'll get frustrated at all.

What I see happening is very similar to the Mosley fight, where Shane had that great round 2 catching Floyd clean twice. Floyd went to his corner looking embarrassed and came out swinging in round 3 looking to close the distance fast and get his hands on Shane to punish him.

I see something similar. Conor will embarrass Floyd early on by catching him clean and Floyd will stew on it for a round or 2 and come right after Conor, thereby leaving a few openings to exploit.

When you say embarrass, do you mean hit him? Even if he were to land a shot like Mosley did, he doesn't hit near as hard as Mosley.

Can't say i saw an embarrassed Mayweather either, more of a determined one.

Here he is talking about it

He proceeded to put a whoppin on him after those first 2 rounds as well.

Gintonious wrote: »
    When you say embarrass, do you mean hit him? Even if he were to land a shot like Mosley did, he doesn't hit near as hard as Mosley.

I mean, for example, Conor lands a hard jab or a clean body shot that gets shown on the replays in between rounds.

Something landing clean. I have a feeling Floyd thinks he won't get hit clean at all so I do think if Conor lands "replay worthy" shots in Round 1 or 2, that Floyd is going to march him down in Rounds 3 and 4, which is good for Conor (I hope).

I mean, for example, Conor lands a hard jab or a clean body shot that gets shown on the replays in between rounds.

Something landing clean. I have a feeling Floyd thinks he won't get hit clean at all so I do think if Conor lands "replay worthy" shots in Round 1 or 2, that Floyd is going to march him down in Rounds 3 and 4, which is good for Conor (I hope).

Floyd has been hit plenty in fights, I can't imagine he never expects to get hit in a fight, even in this one.

I get the impression that you think Floyd sees this as a walk in the park/no threat to him. Thats not Floyd at all. His approach to every fight is that of a threat, Zab Judah has said that Floyd trains like he is broke, that every fight is of equal importance.

And if Floyd marches Conor down, that that is somehow good for Conor...(granted you said "hope"), Mayweather marches down opponents after he has their timing down, like what he did with Canelo, he is equally as dangerous doing that as he is sitting back and waiting..

Does Conor know he's not allowed have that big beard in a boxing match? Well obviously I'm being relative when I say "big", it's hardly Santa Claus worthy but he'll have to get rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Does Conor know he's not allowed have that big beard in a boxing match? Well obviously I'm being relative when I say "big", it's hardly Santa Claus worthy but he'll have to get rid of it.

What ya on about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

What ya on about ?

There are some rules about facial hair in boxing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I remember Tyson Fury been made shave his, against chisora possibly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement