Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

It doesn't matter how many followers they have, the images spread all over the media in a matter of minutes. Whether it's McGregor's account or one of his crew, The result is the same.

You clearly have absolutely no idea how social media works.

The result is absolutely not the same. Those images would have received many factors the exposure and impressions and articles written about them if Conor had posted them himself.

I'm looking forward to the Gervonta Davis Vs Roman Martinez fight. The actual main event will be terrible and probably won't go more than a few rounds before Conor is KO'd or DQ'd

Eddie Hearn said he received an offer closer to the number they're looking for and are close to finalising Cleverley v Jack as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

.ak wrote:
    Except that's the ONE thing Paulie has said to the contrary.

Paulie is a employee of Showtime. It wouldn't surprise me if this was all just part of the circus act. There is a long gap between the last press conference in London and Fight night itself. This could all be a ploy to keep the fight in the media mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Paulie is a employee of Showtime. It wouldn't surprise me if this was all just part of the circus act. There is a long gap between the last press conference in London and Fight night itself. This could all be a ploy to keep the fight in the media mindset.

Could be.

Doubt it, Paulie doesn't strike me as that good of an actor.

Also, this fight really doesn't need the push...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor has wasted a good opportunity to actually learn some boxing skills from Paulie that could have helped him in the fight. Paulie, although past his prime, was a quality counter puncher with good boxing skills.

Instead it's now obvious Conor has no interest in 'preparation' he just wants to beat up Paulie and make a fool out of him on social media.

It looks really bad for McGregor, Even less people will take him seriously now, He's not preparing like he has a chance, he's going in to collect a cheque.

What makes you think that had Paulie not given all those interviews saying Conor's power was just average, and also alluding to their being hangers-on in the McGregor camp, that he wouldn't have done as you suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

If Conor didn't know they were being posted, he'd want to sharpen up on the lads.

And the problem with working with mates, mates always think they're mates, even when it's business. Stupid potshots can backfire. And that hurts Conors bottom line, the lads still get paid, but his end can drop.

This is a much bigger stage, don't **** about.

You clearly have absolutely no idea how social media works.

The result is absolutely not the same. Those images would have received many factors the exposure and impressions and articles written about them if Conor had posted them himself.

Do you really think anyone who is interested in McGregor hasn't seen those images because they didn't go out specifical on his account? You don't understand social media works. Something gets shared, retweeted, and pretty soon it's everywhere. The story was covered on both Fox Sports and ESPN today.

If Conor didn't know they were being posted, he'd want to sharpen up on the lads.

And the problem with working with mates, mates always think they're mates, even when it's business. Stupid potshots can backfire. And that hurts Conors bottom line, the lads still get paid, but his end can drop.

This is a much bigger stage, don't **** about.

Yeah, I mean you've got Gerry Byrne on social media commenting that "Paulie is in breach of contract for giving interviews" and "buy the PPV good kid" talking like he's a lawyer and a promoter when in reality he's a nobody...

He'd want to be careful throwing those sort of comments around willy nilly like that. He did *sort of* admit that Conor didn't drop Paulie though.

Anyway, the people in Conor's team who DON'T come across like condescending arseholes on social media are in the minority and shrinking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

You cant really moan though because you follow them like I do, the portraits they are posting with captions lately are ****ing hilarious id say fogarty takes 1000 pics a days and sends them here boys here yas are drinking coffee stick that on instagram pmsl.

Gamebred wrote: »
    You can really moan though because you follow them like I do, the portraits they are posting with captions lately are ****ing hilarious id say fogarty takes 1000 pics a days and sends them here boys here yas are drinking coffee stick that on instagram pmsl.

True you're right nobody is making me follow them :o It's kinda like watching a tv show where ya can't stand certain characters but watch it anyway :o

I don't even know why I find it disappointing but I do lol. I mean, Fogarty is a good example. I've followed him on social media for years and he went from a pretty quiet, geeky, unassuming type to extremely condescending and cocky.

He blocked me on instagram too. He captioned one recent photo of Conor "They think we out here playing" and I said something like "who are you fighting August 26th again?". Plus he also captioned a photo of Artem "anytime, anywhere" and I said "except Andre Fili July 29th in Anaheim".

I suppose I deserved it.

• Advertisement

Really strong episode so far, much better than last week.

Shows Conor getting instructions from Joe Cortez, Conor hitting mits, then pans to a sequence filmed in Crumlin with Phil Sutcliffe. Conor discussing Crumlin, his boxing background etc.

Meanwhile pans back to Floyd doing hot yoga and cruising down the street on a bike in Miami, playing basketball and rollerskating looking like he isn't going to spar a single round for Conor lol.

Pinch of salt but Jake Shields claims to have seen the exact terms of Conor's purse for the fight from a "longtime Zuffa employee".

$75 million basic purse, of which 20% ($15m goes to UFC)
    + 20% of the PPV (of which 10% goes to the UFC).

If that's all correct, then Conor makes $110 million if they beat the over/under of 4.99 million PPV buys, with the UFC clearing $65 million.

When you factor in endorsements, sponsorship etc the ceiling of Conor's earnings would be roughly $145 million for the fight if all goes well, with the UFC's ceiling at $75 million.

Now, that's all according to Jake Shields so I dunno could be BS...

Not sure how long this will stay up but here's the full episode instead of me waffling on about it.

(19:00 is the post-sparring bit where Conor throws the tornado kick and basically confirms Paulie was one-and-done).

"............ he got his ass whooped and that's it now. It's done."

One wonders now will Paulie be mad at Showtime for colluding with Conor to give the false impression of what "truly" happened in that sparring session.

After watching that episode, I feel pretty bad for Paulie and pretty annoyed at JK and Gerry Byrne, primarily because JK was the one who was quoted saying he was in control of booking sparring partners and Byrne was the one who talked Paulie into it.

It was clear he came into the camp with enthusiasm looking to help Conor, you can see it from the interview that he was excited to be there and bursting with ideas to help him.

Meanwhile all the boys were both *literally* and *figuratively* laughing behind his back. Conor knew after the very first session he didn't want Paulie yet they d1cked him around making him get flights back-and-forward, just so Conor could put on a show in front of Dana and Lorenzo.

Pretty cynical stuff and it's going to make it more difficult for SBG to get high-quality sparring partners to come help in future camps. Other than money (:rolleyes:) why would anybody trust John, Conor, Gerry Byrne (whoever) after they quite publicly made a fool of Paulie.

I was willing to give "Team McGregor" the benefit of the doubt on this one but it's 100% crystal clear they made an absolute tit of Paulie and to be honest they should be pretty ashamed of themselves. They clearly lied through their teeth, if they had been honest with him and said 'listen Conor just wants one scrap with you', I doubt he'd have bothered changing his schedule to come for one spar.

A lot of "Team McGregor" could do with taking a good hiding to knock some humility into them.

When Conor walked up to him after the spar and shook his hand, don't you think he seemed very respectful to Paulie? Just cause Conor was messing around in the background means very little as we don't know the full context. Nobody is even looking in Paulie's direction.

Don't forget, after that spar Paulie then went off and gave dozens of interviews effectively saying that the power in Conor's left was way over hyped... and of course he also made that comment about hanger-ons in the McGregor camp.

I like Paulie, but come on. He pretty much fell on his own sword.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Ah Wonder, live narrating a fecking episode of All Access is too much.

When Conor walked up to him after the spar and shook his hand, don't you think he seemed very respectful to Paulie? Just cause Conor was messing around in the background means very little as we don't know the full context. Nobody is looking in Paulie's direction.

Don't forget, after that spar Paulie then went off and gave dozens of interviews effectively saying that the power in Conor's left is over hyped... and of course also made the comment about hanger-ons in the McGregor camp.

I like Paulie, but come on.

I've nothing bad to say about Conor because for him it was ALWAYS about having a "knock" with Paulie.

My point is the others clearly sold Paulie on a pack of lies. They made him fly in for one spar, fly back out, fly back in and he was NEVER part of Conor's plans for the camp. That's crystal clear from the episode.

John was quoted saying he was in charge of organising sparring partners and Gerry Byrne personally contacted Paulie. They simply lied to him, selling him on some idea that he'd be coming in for the whole camp to help, when that was never the intention.

Look I'm the last person who can be accused of hating on Team McGregor but they absolutely stitched Paulie up and they'll quickly develop a reputation for being a scumbag team in the mixed martial arts world if they keep this stuff up.

Ah Wonder, live narrating a fecking episode of All Access is too much.

It's geoblocked so I was doing it for those who wouldn't get to watch it.

I then trawled youtube for 20 minutes to find a non-geoblocked version for people to watch.

They simply lied to him, selling him on some idea that he'd be coming in for the whole camp to help, when that was never the intention.

This is what I don't get.... what is all this based on? How do we know that had Paulie not gone off and done all those interviews, undermining Conor's punching power, that he wouldn't have been treated far differently.

That whole '12-round' spar where Dana & Co came down to watch, was clearly a direct response to that... hence the images going on to be tagged 'That OMG power' and the like.

I just feel that had Paulie not done that, he would have been treated much differently. Like I say, Conor seemed very respectful to him before and after, shaking his hand on both occasions.

I just think people are underestimating how much those interviews changed things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

This has just descended into a dick measuring contest again. It is unreal. It's like that kid we all knew, the guy who got into a huff and said I'm taking my ball and I'm going home.

Lads, why don't we just all take them out, settle the argument, and get on with the fighting. Ffs. Who gives a flying f#ck if Paulie's feelings are hurt and he is upset. He'd want to get over it. He shouldn't have quit. How many people on this thread hate their jobs or feel aggrieved at times, and don't we still show up to work. He is a clown if you ask me and people would want to move on from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Such a contrast watching that episode. Everything Floyd talks about is money, nothing else. I can understand he probably thinks he doesn't need top prepare as would normally have, but is he taking it too lightly?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,471 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

For the love of god, can somebody please turn the footage of Floyd rollerskating into a montage set to the music from Rocky IV where he's training in the snow? Please!

Such a contrast watching that episode. Everything Floyd talks about is money, nothing else. I can understand he probably thinks he doesn't need top prepare as would normally have, but is he taking it too lightly?

He's Money Mayweather, He does this for the All Access-24/7 promo shows.
    He will be training in his usual way, behind the scenes, Floyd doesn't allow camera film much training or sparing. You'll see him on a heavy bag, speed bag or pads. Doing some crunches or road running but never the real in ring action.

One of his sparing partners is Chris Eubank Jr. And you won't see anything leaked from Floyd's camp. There is a respect for Floyd in the boxing community and in general a respect for gym culture. What happens in the gym, stays in the gym.

No Floyd is not taking him lightly, He'll be prepared and ready as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

Pinch of salt but Jake Shields claims to have seen the exact terms of Conor's purse for the fight from a "longtime Zuffa employee".

$75 million basic purse, of which 20% ($15m goes to UFC)
    + 20% of the PPV (of which 10% goes to the UFC).

If that's all correct, then Conor makes $110 million if they beat the over/under of 4.99 million PPV buys, with the UFC clearing $65 million.

When you factor in endorsements, sponsorship etc the ceiling of Conor's earnings would be roughly $145 million for the fight if all goes well, with the UFC's ceiling at $75 million.

Now, that's all according to Jake Shields so I dunno could be BS...
    Would imagine that that long term Zuffa employee should be fired. It's hardly Dana is the leak.

So UFC earn 75 million for what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

Yeah, I mean you've got Gerry Byrne on social media commenting that "Paulie is in breach of contract for giving interviews" and "buy the PPV good kid" talking like he's a lawyer and a promoter when in reality he's a nobody...

He'd want to be careful throwing those sort of comments around willy nilly like that. He did *sort of* admit that Conor didn't drop Paulie though.

Anyway, the people in Conor's team who DON'T come across like condescending arseholes on social media are in the minority and shrinking.
    Gerry is a pure wally. Getting handouts off of Conor. **** Gerry Byrne

In the Mendes fight Conor looked sick as a dog. His skin was jaundiced (weird yellow complexion), his hair and beard were dull and lifeless. He looked like a hobo and for the first few episodes of TUF he continued to look very unwell.

chad-mendes-conor-mcgregor-ufc-1891.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2015-09-10-at-1.17.51-PM.png

In recent photos i've noticed he's got that same yellow complexion. I wonder if he is starting to get sick again. It might be caused by overtraining or a reaction to whatever legal supplements Dalby has him on. On an unrelated note jaundice is a common side effect of many anabolics and EPO is known to cause influenza like symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

In the Mendes fight Conor looked sick as a dog. His skin was jaundiced (weird yellow complexion), his hair and beard were dull and lifeless. He looked like a hobo and for the first few episodes of TUF he continued to look very unwell.

chad-mendes-conor-mcgregor-ufc-1891.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2015-09-10-at-1.17.51-PM.png

In recent photos i've noticed he's got that same yellow complexion. I wonder if he is starting to get sick again. It might be caused by overtraining or a reaction to whatever legal supplements Dalby has him on. On an unrelated note jaundice is a common side effect of many anabolics and EPO is known to cause influenza like symptoms.

I think what you are referring to is a tan, and of course he is going to look sick vs Mendes, you posted photos of him while he was cutting 20 lbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Interesting to hear Joe Cortez say "I want this to be a lot better than the other night".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Gintonious wrote: »
    Interesting to hear Joe Cortez say "I want this to be a lot better than the other night".

Translation: 'Look, Conor - go easy on him. You're proficient in several martial arts, he only does one. He's also overweight and recently retired, and if you school him again at his own game it'll be handbags, especially if your mates start whipping out their camera phones acting like b*tches.'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement