Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

One wonders now will Paulie be mad at Showtime for colluding with Conor to give the false impression of what "truly" happened in that sparring session.

How do we know it's a false impression of what truly happened ......Malignaggi may say he beat McGregor up for 12 rounds in the same way Nate Diaz says he won that 2nd fight which he clearly didn't .....he could tell everyone to watch it again, still the same winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Translation: 'Look, Conor - go easy on him. You're proficient in several martial arts, he only does one. He's also overweight and recently retired, and if you school him again at his own game it'll be handbags, especially if your mates start whipping out their camera phones acting like b*tches.'

Haha, it was pre-Paulie though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

sonofenoch wrote: »
    How do we know it's a false impression of what truly happened ......Malignaggi may say he beat McGregor up for 12 rounds in the same way Nate Diaz says he won that 2nd fight which he clearly didn't .....he could tell everyone to watch it again, still the same winner

That's the rub - we don't know what happened. Here's what we do know:

2 x ego's + big money fight = half truths and controversy.

Hazarding a guess, I'd say both parties are guilty. But I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's all entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

This is what I don't get.... what is all this based on? How do we know that had Paulie not gone off and done all those interviews, undermining Conor's punching power, that he wouldn't have been treated far differently.

That whole '12-round' spar where Dana & Co came down to watch, was clearly a direct response to that... hence the images going on to be tagged 'That OMG power' and the like.

I just feel that had Paulie not done that, he would have been treated much differently. Like I say, Conor seemed very respectful to him before and after, shaking his hand on both occasions.

I just think people are underestimating how much those interviews changed things.

I'd agree with you but the timing is off on it. Conor filmed his segment after the first sparring session, before Paulie did 5,000 interviews, and said "He stayed in there, gotta give respect to that, but he came and I whooped his ass and that's it (over)".

If he hadn't said that, then I'd have agreed with you.

I think the fact he was brought back from New York was probably because of the interviews with Conor wanting to show Dana/Lorenzo where he was at with his boxing.

TL;DR - It's absolutely obvious Conor just wanted one knock with Paulie, which is absolutely fine but the lads dealing with Paulie sold him on a schedule of being involved in a 4 week camp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

You could ask Floyd a question about the moon and he'd somehow bring it back to his money, smart investments and houses in NYC, its all very desperate and leads me to believe he needs this fight more than he lets on,

Also during the tour Conor said Paul will come in and answer for what hes been saying so no idea how anyone thinks he was stitched up, he specifically mentioned the words ''hes coming in for a knock''.

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    Also during the tour Conor said Paul will come in and answer for what hes been saying so no idea how anyone thinks he was stitched up, he specifically mentioned the words ''hes coming in for a knock''.

True, but Paulie wouldn't have flown in for a "knock" so they sold him a bunch of fibs telling him he'd be part an important sparring partner for the camp etc, which was clearly false.

I do agree that Paulie didn't help himself by pulling a "Van Heerden" on it and conducting 500 interviews but on the flip side Tiernan and Dashon have done plenty of interviews too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I'd agree with you but the timing is off on it. Conor filmed his segment after the first sparring session, before Paulie did 5,000 interviews, and said "He stayed in there, gotta give respect to that, but he came and I whooped his ass and that's it (over)".

I think the fact he was brought back from New York was probably because of the interviews with Conor wanting to show Dana/Lorenzo where he was at with his boxing.

TL;DR - It's absolutely obvious Conor just wanted one knock with Paulie, which is absolutely fine but the lads dealing with Paulie sold him on a schedule of being involved in a 4 week camp.

So he got Paulie in just to trade a few blows because of what he said last year?

Call me crazy, but that seems like a huge waste of time if thats the case.

And didn't John mention that people would be surprised/interested with some of the sparring partners coming into the camp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Gintonious wrote: »
    Interesting to hear Joe Cortez say "I want this to be a lot better than the other night".

I think people are underestimating Conor's basic lack of boxing knowledge and rules of the sport. Years of MMA training and fighting instincts don't go away. There is a real possibility that lack of knowledge or lack of disipline could cause Conor to be disqualified in the fight.

True, but Paulie wouldn't have flown in for a "knock" so they sold him a bunch of fibs telling him he'd be part an important sparring partner for the camp etc, which was clearly false.

I do agree that Paulie didn't help himself by pulling a "Van Heerden" on it and conducting 500 interviews but on the flip side Tiernan and Dashon have done plenty of interviews too.

Paulie would've flown in I reckon to prove himself for his ego's sake, to say he done a few rounds when hes on the broadcast, probably wasnt handled perfectly but **** it I've seen dirtier moves by teams,

I think Paulie is probably the best striker hes ever done rounds with in mma or boxing and we seen his face after it so its impressive work on what I can see by that alone.

Conor knows the rules, Cortez was being over the top stating obvious **** like go to neutral corner ect hes not an idiot, thats a line showtime are going down promoting this about him being used to different rules so he might do something crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Gintonious wrote: »
    So he got Paulie in just to trade a few blows because of what he said last year?

Call me crazy, but that seems like a huge waste of time if thats the case.

And didn't John mention that people would be surprised/interested with some of the sparring partners coming into the camp?

It's a complete waste of time and a missed opportunity for Conor. He could have actually learned something real boxing skills from Paulie but all McGregor and his team wanted to do was knock him about, make him look a fool on social media.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Conor knows the rules, Cortez was being over the top stating obvious **** like go to neutral corner ect hes not an idiot, thats a line showtime are going down promoting this about him being used to different rules so he might do something crazy.

Yeah it was obvious the narrative in the episode was "Look at this guy McGregor he's new to pro boxing but is hungry and working hard" while Floyd was off buying 20 grand purses for his daughter, roller-skating and playing basketball.

Definitely trying to build it up for casuals that Conor has a lot more chance because Floyd is taking it lightly.

Went under the radar, but the Monster energy representative posted a selfie with Conor saying they have re-signed him to a new deal and are proudly sponsoring him for the Floyd fight. Conor then proceeded to post 2 Monster-related posts on Twitter. There's another $1 million+ in the bank.

Watching the episode, I thought it was a case of, 'me think the lady doth protest too much' with all the money ****e, i.e. perhaps Floyd does owe his bollox out, like McGregor said. Lot of money talk. But perhaps Mayweather already knows that some of the potential viewership are thinking this way. And what's even better than the usual scenario of hoping to see Money-Mayweather lose? Kicking a man when he's down, i.e. hoping to see Money-Mayweather lose when he's on the back-foot financially. Which all translates into $$$ for Floyd, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Translation: 'Look, Conor - go easy on him. You're proficient in several martial arts, he only does one. He's also overweight and recently retired, and if you school him again at his own game it'll be handbags, especially if your mates start whipping out their camera phones acting like b*tches.'

Not sure what is a bigger fantasy this or two hobbits taking a ring to mordor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

spix wrote: »
    My guess would be the sparring was much tougher than malignaggi was anticipating so took the chance to get out without obviously just quitting. He could have just said it was a push down but instead just left? I don't buy it. In an interview he was saying how tough and intense it was and was doubting himself mid rounds if he could go 12 and was completely gassed in 11,12. I don't think he wants to do that again and probably seeing how much Conor improved since the last spar took the chance to get out before its 2 late and gets dropped for real.

I have no words. I'd hope this is a wind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Conor has over 25 million followers on social media.

David Fogarty and Gerry Byrne have about 3 men and a sheep following them.

If Conor wanted to "make a fool out of him on social media", I can guarantee he could have posted any number of flattering photos on his own platforms.

What this reminds me of is the scene in the airport in NY where Conor is seen giving out to Gerry Byrne, with Byrne holding his hand up to apologise. It's obvious that Byrne said something towards Mayweather and Conor had a go at him for doing that in front of Floyd's family.

In short, it looks to me like the "boys" took it upon themselves to re-post photos to have a dig at Paulie, probably partly because Paulie was saying he didn't know who the photographer (Fogarty) was, who the hangers-on (Byrne) were.

TL;DR - If Conor wanted to embarrass Paulie he'd do it in a pretty big way. The fact that he didn't, that indicates to me that the camp lacks leadership and discipline.

Hahahaha, obviously Conor can do no wrong. Jesus.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Not sure what is a bigger fantasy this or two hobbits taking a ring to mordor?

I think I see what you're getting at - Conor as Frodo, Artem as Sam, John as Gandalf, Floyd as Sauron, Vegas is Mt Doom and so on.

So Conor wins then, yeah.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I think what you are referring to is a tan, and of course he is going to look sick vs Mendes, you posted photos of him while he was cutting 20 lbs
    Whether he's got it now we can agree to differ because we can argue about lighting/tan etc.

But he was sick as a dog in the weeks prior and subsequent to 189 and it was more than just the weight cut. TUF was shot over 6 weeks and he still looked awful for much of the series. White as a ghost, funny skin color, unhealthy eyes. He looked like death.

tuf-recap-episode-1-lead-700.jpg

He had a knee injury before 189 couldnt do cardio or grapple hence the tough weight cut, had to be lifted from the bath while making it, he looked in great shape to me beside Ngannou in that pic never seen him better condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Hang on, wonder..... that goes against the narrative you're suggesting and supports the one I am.

As you said, after that first sparring session, Conor, said "..that's it, it's over...".

Well then surely that gives credence to the view that the whole 12-rounds 'set-up' was a direct response to the '..the power he has in that left is overrated..' interviews that Paulie subsequently went and gave the media. No?
    It's absolutely obvious Conor just wanted one knock with Paulie, which is absolutely fine but the lads dealing with Paulie sold him on a schedule of being involved in a 4 week camp.

It's obvious he wanted one knock, sure.....but again, he had his "one knock" and said "..that's it, it's over...".

Just because they arranged to have him come back early on does not mean they were going to do what they did. Again, those images were captioned 'that OMG power' in direct reference to what Paulie had been saying and so it's clear that's why McGregor did that........

Had Paulie not done what he did, then maybe Conor would have picked his brain more and that '12 round' sparring would have been something totally different to what it ended up being.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Whether he's got it now we can agree to differ because we can argue about lighting/tan etc.

But he was sick as a dog in the weeks prior and subsequent to 189 and it was more than just the weight cut. TUF was shot over 6 weeks and he still looked awful for much of the series. White as a ghost, funny skin color, unhealthy eyes. He looked like death.

What point are you trying to make?

I'm obviously not getting it.
    Thabks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

jcd5971 wrote: »
    What point are you trying to make?

I'm obviously not getting it.
    Thabks

He's juicing

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

Dalby is dodgy but I would be very careful of making accusations or insinuations on a public forum without evidence

Dalby is dodgy but I would be very careful of making accusations or insinuations on a public forum without evidence

Why is he dodgy?

McGregor has been tested double the amount of Floyd in this camp btw, 10 times as opposed to Floyd who was tested 5 times.

tuf-recap-episode-1-lead-700.jpg

Conor has said himself that he was partying heavy after 189 and for most of the TUF season. I reckon he was sick as a dog after some yager bombs :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Be interesting to see how Paulie takes that episode of All Access, as they showed the clips of him saying 'Who the fcuk does' Conor think he is calling out boxers and that he'd beat him with one arm tied behind his back..... then shortly after Conor saying he whopped him...... if he got annoyed at a photo suggesting he had been knocked down.... I'd imagine that will rile him also.

Course, Showtime are one of his long term employers and so he mightn't be as eager to condemn them as he would be the McGregor camp.

His opinions are controversial for sure and not exactly the same message as SBG give out. Dalby saying he wouldn't judge those for doping in competition, as it would be like condemning a young fella for having a few drinks when he himself doesn't drink, whereas John said he'd immediately throw any fighter caught doping out of the gym.

But I don't think that translates to him being 'dodgy', if anything I think the point he was trying to make was "I don't care if others dope but I don't do it myself".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

The most striking think about that photo are the eyes of both fighters.... and they couldn't be any different.
    Agree completely. By far the best way to gauge the way an athletic contest went is to look at a freeze frame of the athletes in the midst of intense physical exertion.

This photo here, for example, perfectly captures the essence of Gennady Golovkin's drubbing at the hands of the far-superior Willie Monroe.

golovkin-monroe-2.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement