Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It wasn't a stumble, Ricky landed behind the ear and got Floyd off-balance, if he went over it would have counted as a knockdown. It came from a punch.

Kieran Mulvaney is an extremely respected pundit for HBO and he was live-scoring the fight for ESPN that night and he had it 4-4 going into the 9th (minus the point deduction).

http://www.espn.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3145335

Actually most pundits who were live-scoring it had it 5 rounds to 3, the consensus was Ricky won rounds 2 and 5 clearly, some gave him the 1st, some gave him the 7th, some even gave him the 3rd.

TL;DR - Judging is very subjective and there were many close rounds. It was a close contest not a "schooling".

A schooling in my book is what Conor did to Eddie Alvarez or what Demian Maia did to Gunnar Nelson.

It was a stumble, he lost his balance moving back. Hatton threw a jab as Floyd was moving back and it put him off, even Emanuel Stewart who was commentating on the fight said it, "The foot speed is what is making Floyd lose his balance" or something along those lines.

You say it was a close fight despite the fact that Mayweather threw 329 punches and landed 129, and Hatton threw 372 and landed 63. So Mayweather landed twice as many punches.

It was a grubby fight and messy, but the slicker puncher was on top, and thats reflected by the official judges at the time. It was 6-2 at best before the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Gintonious wrote: »
    It was a stumble, he lost his balance moving back. Hatton threw a jab as Floyd was moving back and it put him off, even Emanuel Stewart who was commentating on the fight said it, "The foot speed is what is making Floyd lose his balance" or something along those lines.

You say it was a close fight despite the fact that Mayweather threw 329 punches and landed 129, and Hatton threw 372 and landed 63. So Mayweather landed twice as many punches.

It was a grubby fight and messy, but the slicker puncher was on top, and thats reflected by the official judges at the time. It was 6-2 at best before the end.

Well many people disagree with you, I've read a dozen live-scoring reports on the fight from the big outlets and the scores range from the majority who had it 5-3, with the minority having it 4-4 and 6-2. I didn't see a single report having it 7-1 for Floyd through 8 but you could obviously make the case for 7-1 because so many rounds were close.

Punch stats are useful but they're not everything. If Floyd lands 25 clean punches on Conor in Round 1 and Conor lands 6 and drops him with a shot, the round will go to Conor.

Well many people disagree with you, I've read a dozen live-scoring reports on the fight from the big outlets and the scores range from the majority who had it 5-3, with the minority having it 4-4 and 6-2. I didn't see a single report having it 7-1 for Floyd through 8 but you could obviously make the case for 7-1 because so many rounds were close.

Punch stats are useful but they're not everything. If Floyd lands 25 clean punches on Conor in Round 1 and Conor lands 6 and drops him with a shot, the round will go to Conor.

Of course it would, I wouldn't argue against that.

My stats were pointing to the Hatton fight. 7-1 would be a bit unfair to Hatton but I had it 6-2 before he was done. Not only that but he was getting caught really clean and crisp by Floyd up until then also.

There is no way I would have had it anything like 4-4, thats dream world living.

Punch stats are my go-to in fights like this. From an overview position it looked like Hatton was doing well, in reality he was only getting in close but not doing much with it, and getting caught when he was outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

20 days until the morning after. Hopefully McGregor comes out with his head held high and health in tact

Punch stats are my go-to in fights like this. From an overview position it looked like Hatton was doing well, in reality he was only getting in close but not doing much with it, and getting caught when he was outside.

Anyway, all that matters in the Hatton fight is he got stopped. It won't matter how well Conor is doing on scorecards, if he gets stopped it's an abject failure.

Ido was right in what he said, people who think Conor has nothing to lose don't know what they're talking about. It'll be a crushing defeat for him if he loses because he *genuinely* believes he's got the tools to stop Floyd.

The focus on the money is understandable but the $100 million will change very little for Conor. He's already rich beyond most of our wildest dreams, getting even richer won't change his life very much.

A crushing defeat would be hard to overcome, so he's taking a big risk putting himself out there to potentially be humiliated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Yeah right the man has been strangled in front of millions he will laugh a loss off and say the rule set was against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

A crushing defeat would be hard to overcome, so he's taking a big risk putting himself out there to potentially be humiliated.

Indeed, plus, it's potentially a huge baton to be beaten with upon his return to the UFC. There's definitely more to it than money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

Gamebred wrote: »
    Yeah right the man has been strangled in front of millions he will laugh a loss off and say the rule set was against him.

I don't think he'll get the chance to 'right a wrong' against Floyd, as he did Nate. You could see that loss consumed him, and everything went on hold until he set it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Inviere wrote: »
    I don't think he'll get the chance to 'right a wrong' against Floyd, as he did Nate. You could see that loss consumed him, and everything went on hold until he set it right.

He'll fight Floyd in real life to prove he's the better fighters, he'll get shot by his bouncers in the process but he'll have proved his point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Paulie trying to setup a fight between him and Conor?

If Paulie got himself back in shape, with a proper training camp, He probably would beat McGregor in a boxing fight but I'm not sure why Conor would agree to it. It wouldn't generate enough money for him to even bother.

I hope to see McGregor return to the UFC after the loss to Mayweather. Fights against Ferguson or Khabib are there, Even Diaz 3 would be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Is anyone really that surprised that loudmouth Paulie has started blabbing?

Paulie is more Frankie the Squealer than Johnny Tightlips.
    Don't be surprised if Cortez is feeding info to the Mayweather team too. Look how deep he was in Floyd's pocket for the Hatton fight the way he reffed it.
    Snakes the pair of them. The last 2 boxing people I'd have involved in a camp.

Wouldn't surprise me either. Mayweather has allot of sway in Las Vegas. Cortez or Malinagi could be potential spys for Hayman/Mayweather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Is anyone really that surprised that loudmouth Paulie has started blabbing?

Well, I'm surprised for sure as I listened to all his talk leading up to him going out to Vegas (on podcasts like From Brooklyn To The World etc) and he was all about how he was gonna be a team player and even posted tweets to that effect too when asked about the Van Heerden situation... and so to respond the way he did has surprised me for sure.

He's in the boxing game a long damn time now to not know that leading up to a bout which is garnering a lot of media interest, there will be propaganda from both sides where people will be economical with the truth (especially when it's ppv).

I remember just before the May/Pac fight there were all sorts of stuff in the media about Mayweather dropping Zab Judah in sparring.. and what was Zab's response back then? He gave interviews along the lines of who cares, let people think what they want, this fight isn't about Zab Judah, it's about Floyd Mayweather.

Paulie just couldn't handle anyone thinking that Conor gave him a fight... that to him was embarrassing. He wanted to control the media and put it out there that he came in and thought the cage fighter some of the sweet science but when it became apparent that he couldn't do that, and was actually being thought of as a boxer who was dropped by an mma guy, his ego couldn't take it.

He's clearly incensed that Conor is not even acknowledging him and is trying anything now to wind them up...........

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/894221976994066432

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

He's clearly incensed that Conor is not even acknowledging him and is trying anything now to wind them up...........
    Happy as a pig in ****e, more likely. I'd say he's getting paid for every tweet he puts out.

Excellent marketing move, overall. Giving both those who believe McGregor can win, and those who want to see him knocked out, exactly what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/894221976994066432

you invite someone who is an expert in their field to join your camp, you are not an expert in that field, you don't pick their brain, in fact you go out of your way to try and embarrass them, you don't take advantage of an opportunity to learn from someone with years of experience... if that isn't a waste of time for all concerned I don't know what is. No wonder he is frustrated. If it had been a knockdown and not a push you can be sure J.K. would have made a snide comment on twitter already.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    .... go out of your way to try and embarrass them.....

Works both ways, if you're hired to be a sparring partner then you don't go to the media right after your first spar with them and say that the fighter's power is overrated..... especially when the fight is being sold on the premise that the fighter's only chance in the fight is if there is truth in them having a power punch.

You also don't make sly comments suggesting that there are 'hangers-on' within that fighter's camp.

In fairness, he just said his power is above average.

If that is enough to put him over the edge and he wants to go out and embarrass him, his ego must be wafer thin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Paulie is more Frankie the Squealer than Johnny Tightlips.

Wouldn't surprise me either. Mayweather has allot of sway in Las Vegas. Cortez or Malinagi could be potential spys for Hayman/Mayweather

Gamebred wrote: »

That makes no sense.

He didn't "laugh the loss off" against Nate or swan off and enjoy the $12 million he made from the fight, he was consumed by the loss and devastated.

Sure you posted a picture of the aftermath in the dressing room it was like a funeral scene.

It'll be even worse if he gets embarrassed by Floyd because it will make him question everything he fundamentally believes in. If he goes in there, hits fresh air for 12 rounds and gets humiliated, he won't "laugh it off", it'll damage his faith in everything he's doing.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised if Paulie is on The MMA Hour tomorrow.

In fairness, he just said his power is above average.

If that is enough to put him over the edge and he wants to go out and embarrass him, his ego must be wafer thin.

In some interviews he said that (and mainly with interviewers connected with mma, like Schaub) but in many other interviews (generally on boxing podcasts) he said much more and was dismissive of McGregor's power.

Like in the following clip where he says (in response to Errol Spence who raises the topic):
    "They have everybody thinking it's this God like power, that it's this thing you've never felt in your life before, but if you've got that kind of power you'd feel it in 16-ounce gloves......

"It's grown man power, it's not super power... and a lot of people have grown man power.

"I'm not gonna say it's severely overrated... because it's decent... but it is severely overrated because people think it's more than what it is".

Look, I like Paulie, and I don't think he deliberately set out to annoy the McGregor camp.... but he was being very naive if he thought making these kind of comments would go down well. The boxing community are already sniggering at this fight taking place, and perhaps rightly so, but there was a time and place for saying what he did and that was after the fight, or at the very least leave it until fight night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That makes no sense.

He didn't "laugh the loss off" against Nate or swan off and enjoy the $12 million he made from the fight, he was consumed by the loss and devastated.

Sure you posted a picture of the aftermath in the dressing room it was like a funeral scene.

It'll be even worse if he gets embarrassed by Floyd because it will make him question everything he fundamentally believes in. If he goes in there, hits fresh air for 12 rounds and gets humiliated, he won't "laugh it off", it'll damage his faith in everything he's doing.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised if Paulie is on The MMA Hour tomorrow.

I don't think Ariel is gonna have someone on who would disparage McGregor. After Dana got him kicked off this event McGregor was one of his biggest ally's. Can't see him letting Paulie on to run him down.

I don't think Ariel is gonna have someone on who would disparage McGregor. After Dana got him kicked off this event McGregor was one of his biggest ally's. Can't see him letting Paulie on to run him down.

Maybe you're right or maybe he'll be in studio crying his eyes out now that he's back in NY :pac:

At the end of the day UFC in Mexico City was hardly filled with earth-shattering storylines... could easily see the likes of Dashon Johnson and Paulie being on the show to give 2 sides of the story.

With the greatest of respect to Sergio Pettis and Alexa Grasso, they're not going to draw in big ratings to listen to them discuss 2 snoozefest decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

He's a journalist he goes where the story is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

He is a McGregor shill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Mcgregor fears paulie ! War Malignaggi !

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Happy as a pig in ****e, more likely. I'd say he's getting paid for every tweet he puts out.

Excellent marketing move, overall. Giving both those who believe McGregor can win, and those who want to see him knocked out, exactly what they want.

What are you on about? this fight sells plenty without a Paulie Malignalli twitter rant. Its keeping **** in the news, but with 3 weeks to go it won't make much difference.

Paulie more likely mulling a final payday with this ranting.

Yeah i was 50:50 about buying the fight, but the magic mans been upset on twitter so i gotta get on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Wonder with all due respect how the f would you know wether or not it will damage his faith in everything he's doing.

As I've said before generally enjoy your posts but ones like this are pure hyperbole and at best guess work.
    They diminish the actual researched posts you put out.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Wonder with all due respect how the f would you know wether or not it will damage his faith in everything he's doing.

As I've said before generally enjoy your posts but ones like this are pure hyperbole and at best guess work.
    They diminish the actual researched posts you put out.

It's just an opinion!

When Conor lost to Nate it sure looks to me like it shook his faith in what he was doing - he admitted to Megan Olivi that doubts were creeping in (over the rematch) and that he completely overhauled things and got back to basics in training.

Obviously I can't be certain he would take a loss to Floyd very hard but I can be certain after the Nate loss he didn't "laugh it off" and go enjoy all his money. He went off to Iceland for a training camp and was by all accounts devastated at the loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

They're both right. The TUF gym is a different place but the Tuesday Night Contender series and the new TUF seasons are being filmed in the performance institute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement