Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Pendred v Paulie on the undercard :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Gamebred wrote: »
    Yeah right the man has been strangled in front of millions he will laugh a loss off and say the rule set was against him.

That defeat absolutely ate him, most fighters would've forgotten about fighting Diaz at 170 again... I think Ido was spot on with what he says, McGregor will be devastated if he loses this.

The money is just the business side of things, and whilst Conor is good at that part he seems to keep the two things separate once he steps into a ring to compete. He won't be thinking 'Ah its grand, I got me 100 mill' when he's eating counter punches from Floyd.... He'll be thinking how he's going to batter yer man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I know it ate him up but he isnt gonna be meme'd here and his defeat be laughed at, hes a big enough underdog nobody is really expecting him to win theres not that much pressure on him hes odds on to be stopped its a complete different scenario to being submitted in his own field, the difference also is the pay cheque of about 100m difference dont tell me that wouldnt soften a blow, he will suck it up take a small break and come back to mma and redeem himself or try at least in a sport with ''less rules''.

I know it ate him up but he isnt gonna be meme'd here and his defeat be laughed at, hes a big enough underdog nobody is really expecting him to win theres not that much pressure on him hes odds on to be stopped its a complete different scenario to being submitted in his own field, the difference also is the pay cheque of about 100m difference dont tell me that wouldnt soften a blow, he will suck it up take a small break and come back to mma and redeem himself or try at least in a sport with ''less rules''.

All of that is fair enough, but I think you're forgetting just how obsessive/competitive McGregor is. IF he loses it's because another human being beat him at something. The other stuff won't register. It will consume him and he'll want a rematch at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

He'll be meme'd here regardless with the magnitude of the event.

hypothetically, his corner wisely throw in the towel after 7 or so rounds of him being schooled - it'll be labelled as quitting. even when its not, think of how his doubters have frames him tapping to a sunk in choke with Nate, they've ridiculed him and anyone who knows MMA knows there was no getting out of that once it was sunk.

He gets knocked out. the pictures will shopped everywhere a la Pac Marquez 4.

He swings and misses lots. it'll be meme'd with tennis rackets.

Post fight they'll be a respectful instagram post about warriors and rulesets and his team and now back to a sport that allows for all forms of combat and is more real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised if Paulie is on The MMA Hour tomorrow.

Wonder, he predicts dees tings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Wonder, he predicts dees tings.

:)

Has Pauli got a book coming out or something? he is milking this fight more than Brendan Schaub 2 cowboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Interested to hear what Yogurty has to say too.

• Advertisement

Probably on to break down his fight on the 26th as Wonder said, because he keeps saying ''we'' ect when posting captions, Helwani cant go a week without something McGregor related on wonder what he'd do without Conor, ratings would be quite down I reckon.

Was thinking it might be to ask him if Conor approved of him posting the image of Paulie on the ground..... as he appears to be the closest person to McGregor that insinuated online that Paulie was knocked down, when he made the following remark.......

https://twitter.com/DavidGbd/status/893275246597296128

Be a nice lead up to the Paulie interview.

Probably on to break down his fight on the 26th as Wonder said, because he keeps saying ''we'' ect when posting captions, Helwani cant go a week without something McGregor related on wonder what he'd do without Conor, ratings would be quite down I reckon.

I'm hoping Fogarty comes across well because he used to be a really down to earth guy on social media before Conor...

Now it's all this type of stuff...

https://twitter.com/DavidGbd/status/885717981803626500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I'm hoping Fogarty comes across well because he used to be a really down to earth guy on social media before Conor...

Now it's all this type of stuff...

https://twitter.com/DavidGbd/status/885717981803626500

He's taking the piss, I'd imagine...I think the tweet is in reference to himself and May weather's brief exchange on the press tour. Seems like an alright lad from the footage I've seen...

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

Has this guy ever boxed, doesn't seem to have a clue.
    Sandakan msungsurin was a martial artist and won a world
    Title in the mid seventies at light welterweight in his 7th fight

Boxing has many ex martial artists and kick boxers compete
    For years it's nothing new, what is he on about.

I was at karate before I boxed , what is he on about
    Something new.

He respects Conor for taking the fight, my god, he getting 70mi.l
    Fir fighting a guy who doesn't punch hard , he respects that.

The maliniaggi episode is childish, why did he not have maliniaggi as
    A warm up fight before he fought mayweather .
    Because he would be found out that's why and nobody would be
    Interested in him fighting mayweather after his performance
    Against maliniaggi.

This whole thing is a charade, but they making money as floyd says

Just had a quick look - Paulie has gained 29,000 new followers in Twitter in a week with all his crying. He gained 15,000 in the entire year that preceded it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Probably on to break down his fight on the 26th as Wonder said, because he keeps saying ''we'' ect when posting captions.

Next week Gerry Byrne and that Dunphy bloke willl be on talking about what it's like carrying Conor's bags.

Anyway, all that matters in the Hatton fight is he got stopped. It won't matter how well Conor is doing on scorecards, if he gets stopped it's an abject failure.

Ido was right in what he said, people who think Conor has nothing to lose don't know what they're talking about. It'll be a crushing defeat for him if he loses because he *genuinely* believes he's got the tools to stop Floyd.

The focus on the money is understandable but the $100 million will change very little for Conor. He's already rich beyond most of our wildest dreams, getting even richer won't change his life very much.

A crushing defeat would be hard to overcome, so he's taking a big risk putting himself out there to potentially be humiliated.

Yeah, he never come after Diaz beat him.
    Mcgregir doesn't care if he wins ir loses all he want is money
    In fact he is turning into a caricature of mayweather
    Why would he care if mayweather beats him
    If he cared about legacy he would fight a live boxer
    Not an old retired 40 year old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

section4 wrote: »

Christ on a bike :rolleyes::rolleyes:

.........why did he not have maliniaggi as
    A warm up fight before he fought mayweather .
    Because he would be found out that's why and nobody would be
    Interested in him fighting mayweather after his performance
    Against maliniaggi.

So, you think he's smart then.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    That defeat absolutely ate him, most fighters would've forgotten about fighting Diaz at 170 again... I think Ido was spot on with what he says, McGregor will be devastated if he loses this.

The money is just the business side of things, and whilst Conor is good at that part he seems to keep the two things separate once he steps into a ring to compete. He won't be thinking 'Ah its grand, I got me 100 mill' when he's eating counter punches from Floyd.... He'll be thinking how he's going to batter yer man.

That why he tapped straight away against Diaz

All of that is fair enough, but I think you're forgetting just how obsessive/competitive McGregor is. IF he loses it's because another human being beat him at something. The other stuff won't register. It will consume him and he'll want a rematch at some stage.

So why didn't he fight Duffy again

Bet if he was getting 100mill to fight him he would

So, you think he's smart then.

Oh he smart alright,
    Making a lot of money For a very easy fight in terms of potential damage to himself.

At the height of her UFC fame, Ronda went to Hollywood to film The Expendables 3 and followed that up by filming Entourage and Furious 7. At the height of Conor's fame in the UFC, post-Aldo, he turned down dozens of movie offers.

At the time of those offers, Conor was getting paid $500,000 + PPV points for the Aldo fight. He probably cleared around $3 million for the Aldo contest.

If he wanted to, I'm certain in my mind he could have walked away from the sport and made $20 million in Hollywood popping up in all sorts of movie roles throwing flashy capoeira kicks and delivering bad lines. Basically the Irish Jean Claude van Damme.

We're viewing Conor's career with the benefit of hindsight. We KNOW he challenged RDA, we know he pulled out, we know he lost to Nate, returned to beat Nate, and outclassed Eddie. We know he has gone from earning $3 million a fight to around $12 million a fight.

Look at Ronda. All it takes is 2 devastating defeats back-to-back and all those movie offers go away. That lead role in Road House? Gonzo. Cameos in huge Hollywood films? Gonzo. Conor passed up earning a lot more money in Hollywood, safe money that doesn't involve being kicked in the face, and instead he knuckled down in the gym.

He took the RDA fight and, ultimately, the Alvarez fight because he wanted to be the first to simultaneously hold belts in 2-weight-classes. He eyed up the Woodley fight because he wants to be the first to be a 3-weight-world-champion in the UFC.

People focus on the money but he has consistently turned down easy money to chase harder athletic challenges. RDA was no joke. Rematching Nate at 170 was no joke. Eddie Alvarez is no joke.

Fighting Floyd Mayweather in a boxing ring is no joke.

There comes a point in rich peoples lives where the money ceases to matter as much as you think it does. $100 million changes nothing in Conor's life, he can already buy any car, watch, house, boat, plane he wants. His family want for nothing. He's fighting Floyd because he believes he's the best fighter in the world. He's fighting him because he wants to go down as a legend of combat sports.

Conor is a prize-fighter but the key word is fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Conor only had a 1 fight contract for Cage Warriors when he fought Duffy. By the time he had got a few more wins under his belt and got back into Cage Warriors, Duffy had quit the sport of MMA to pursue a boxing career.

You obviously chose not to read this part...
    The money is just the business side of things, and whilst Conor is good at that part he seems to keep the two things separate once he steps into a ring to compete.

Duffy would attract the square root of F-all PPVs.

But don't let me get in a way of a good rant! Carry on.

That why he tapped straight away against Diaz

Try harder. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

At the height of her UFC fame, Ronda went to Hollywood to film The Expendables 3 and followed that up by filming Entourage and Furious 7. At the height of Conor's fame in the UFC, post-Aldo, he turned down dozens of movie offers.

At the time of those offers, Conor was getting paid $500,000 + PPV points for the Aldo fight. He probably cleared around $3 million for the Aldo contest.

If he wanted to, I'm certain in my mind he could have walked away from the sport and made $20 million in Hollywood popping up in all sorts of movie roles throwing flashy capoeira kicks and delivering bad lines. Basically the Irish Jean Claude van Damme.

We're viewing Conor's career with the benefit of hindsight. We KNOW he challenged RDA, we know he pulled out, we know he lost to Nate, returned to beat Nate, and outclassed Eddie. We know he has gone from earning $3 million a fight to around $12 million a fight.

Look at Ronda. All it takes is 2 devastating defeats back-to-back and all those movie offers go away. That lead role in Road House? Gonzo. Cameos in huge Hollywood films? Gonzo. Conor passed up earning a lot more money in Hollywood, safe money that doesn't involve being kicked in the face, and instead he knuckled down in the gym.

He took the RDA fight and, ultimately, the Alvarez fight because he wanted to be the first to simultaneously hold belts in 2-weight-classes. He eyed up the Woodley fight because he wants to be the first to be a 3-weight-world-champion in the UFC.

People focus on the money but he has consistently turned down easy money to chase harder athletic challenges. RDA was no joke. Rematching Nate at 170 was no joke. Eddie Alvarez is no joke.

Fighting Floyd Mayweather in a boxing ring is no joke.

There comes a point in rich peoples lives where the money ceases to matter as much as you think it does. $100 million changes nothing in Conor's life, he can already buy any car, watch, house, boat, plane he wants. His family want for nothing. He's fighting Floyd because he believes he's the best fighter in the world. He's fighting him because he wants to go down as a legend of combat sports.

Conor is a prize-fighter but the key word is fighter.

Yeah but could he pay someone to eat their own head?

:D

• Advertisement

Tore McGregor apart........... basically said he's weird and cheap.

Captured it and so will see if I can upload it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement