Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

He has the lads set up in a nice house over there with pool tables swimming pools escalde jeeps convertable mustangs has their food paid for every single day in greens and proteins, not to mention the business's he has funded for his own mates that I know of set up gyms and clothes companies for them, really stingy lol wish I had a stingy mate like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

the stingy thing is just Paulie trying to bait him further after getting no reaction from his pity party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Be interesting to see what kind of questions Ariel asks him and also if he challenges him on his moaning about ethics while he himself seemingly thought it was okay to go to the boxing media (right after he had done his first work as an employee of Conor's) and tell them that in his view Conor's power is severely overrated and not what people think it is at all.

Certainly has to be tougher questions than he got in that segment last night which wasn't close to being an interview, was more like an infomercial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Not trolling here - who actually gives a ****?

I find all that stuff interesting but then again I found it interesting who'd sponsor the Premier League after Barclays left. I suppose it's irrelevant.
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Photographer/conors personal ass licker.

To be fair to Fogarty, he's also the 2016 silver medalist in the World and European Amateur Championships (IMMAF) at flyweight.

He can fight, whether he can turn pro is another matter because he's 28 now and he's leaving it late if he has any aspirations of being a pro.
    Paully D wrote: »
    "Wants a bunch of yes men around him."

Said it ages ago but it does seem that his whole entourage is just full of yes man. Lads who are delighted to be going around holding his bags. You'd think they'd get a bit of self respect.

The biggest warning sign I saw in terms of all this ^ ^ was when John was on the MMA Hour explaining how Conor used to train in the aftermath of the Aldo fight.

Basically he said "Conor would stroll in at 10pm with a few mates and nod at me looking to train and I'd say I'm going home I was here all day". Granted, they went back to a more traditional coach-student relationship after the Diaz loss, with Conor showing up on John's time for classes and that seemed to work better.

But... I'd have to imagine Firas or Greg Jackson wouldn't stand for that with GSP or Jon Jones. I can't imagine it being stood for in any other sport either, so that was a warning-sign in my book that there's literally nobody able to lay down the law with Conor.

The rowing machine situation typifies it for me. Conor clearly rows in the most inefficient, embarrassing way on that machine. His form, technique, rhythm is all arseways, he's wasting energy and looking like a fool. He needed/needs someone to say "Conor you're doing it wrong, this is how it's done". Clearly, for whatever reason, nobody is willing to be the one to step up and tell him.

All of which brings me full circle to Tom Egan. I've no idea what happened between Conor and Tom, if anything, but it remains weird how Tom went from a key part of Conor's camps to completely out in the cold. It wasn't the move to Boston because he had already moved before UFC 189.

Tom doesn't strike me as a yes-man in the way Artem is, he strikes me as the type of guy who'd tell you straight if you're doing something arseways or if the mink coat makes you look like a clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

• Advertisement

In relative terms for Dublin, it's not even in the top 10 dodgiest areas but it also won't be making many tourist guides either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Malinaggi is really annoying. Going on about tap out now an all. I think that may be the plan though, to make it more mma v boxing than it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

My god, that is a dire read.

All of which brings me full circle to Tom Egan. I've no idea what happened between Conor and Tom, if anything, but it remains weird how Tom went from a key part of Conor's camps to completely out in the cold. It wasn't the move to Boston because he had already moved before UFC 189.

Tom doesn't strike me as a yes-man in the way Artem is, he strikes me as the type of guy who'd tell you straight if you're doing something arseways or if the mink coat makes you look like a clown.
    Egan posted this in June with a picture of Conor

"Critique comes from a place of passion. Passion for the success of something. And there's nothing cooler than watching a long time friend succeed. Coz that's what friends are supposed to wish upon each other; health, love, prosperity and success. "

Sounds very much like he criticised Conor (out of genuine concern) and it caused the rift. There's definitely a danger with fame that your ego gets out of control...it's the reason most celebrities are dickheads and are surrounded by sycophants. Doubly so if you're taking stuff with ego-boosting qualities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Pmsl what a crock of **** its like sundayworld/lovehate crossed with some mma journo crossed with a psychology experts breakdown of Conor.

• Advertisement

Just finished this ^ it's a must-read.

It's a very long piece and it definitely "Americanizes" things to an extent (the way he uses the words "projects" to describe rough areas of Dublin) BUT if you can get past that it's probably the best piece ever written on Conor.

Doesn't shy away from his associations to the Kinahans etc, describes Gerry Byrne getting shot at, Conor going on holiday to Greece with a load of dealers, lots of stuff we never see written about his fragile ego.

Loved this bit:
    As the financial details were ironed out, Conor pulled Kavanagh aside. They were at McGregor's house in the exclusive and pastoral K Club, which once hosted a Ryder Cup. "I don't give a f--- about the money," he told his coach. "This is Bruce Lee s---. This is the water filling the cup."

Also the article backs up a lot of what Paulie was saying unfortunately:
    McGregor, for all his bravado, can be fragile. Norman Mailer wrote about approaching Ali's psyche like you'd approach a squirrel. That's true for Conor too. "You got to be very cautious what you say around Conor," says striking coach Owen Roddy.
    At a Reebok photo shoot for 24 UFC fighters, 23 showed on time; Conor arrived two hours late. He won't listen to advice if he doesn't like the person's "tone."
    That's one of the reasons Kavanagh didn't bring in coaches with more boxing experience. Too much new stuff, by someone who didn't approach Conor's psyche like a squirrel, would be a disaster. McGregor, at his core, is an act of imagination. Tell the truth about someone, he said once, and they crumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,588 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But... I'd have to imagine Firas or Greg Jackson wouldn't stand for that with GSP or Jon Jones
    You think Greg would lay down the law with Jon Jones?
    Jon Jones was skipping training to go on coke binges, fled the scene of a hit and run with a pregnant woman and then popped for clomid last year.
    Greg had absolutely zero control over Jones and he didn't considering kicking him off the team for a second.
    I can't imagine it being stood for in any other sport either,
    I'm imagine you are wrong there tbh. Despite fighters training in teams, it's not a team sport.
    McGregor has been known to train late at night for years. The logic being that he'll be fighting at night. Right or wrong, that's his decision. And he has to accept that there may be less volunteers around.

Mayweather trains on Mayweather's schedule.
    If Roger Federer decides training in the evening is best then, he will go ahead and do it.

If he wants a full stable of pro mma and top level bjj fighter to be his a shark tank, he needs to turn up to those sessions.

The rowing machine situation typifies it for me. Conor clearly rows in the most inefficient, embarrassing way on that machine. His form, technique, rhythm is all arseways, he's wasting energy and looking like a fool. He needed/needs someone to say "Conor you're doing it wrong, this is how it's done". Clearly, for whatever reason, nobody is willing to be the one to step up and tell him.
    Say he took the time to fix his technique. Hie rowing would certainly improve. But overall effect might be the same. Assuming the point of those sessions is to go all for the duration.
    Won't know without forking over money I suppose

Gintonious wrote: »
    My god, that is a dire read.

Opposite for me. Brilliantly written.

Pmsl what a crock of **** its like sundayworld/lovehate crossed with some mma journo crossed with a psychology experts breakdown of Conor.

Jeeez a lot of hate for the piece but Wright Thompson is an amazing writer, I liked it a lot. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

Just finished this ^ it's a must-read.

It's a very long piece and it definitely "Americanizes" things to an extent (the way he uses the words "projects" to describe rough areas of Dublin) BUT if you can get past that it's probably the best piece ever written on Conor.

Doesn't shy away from his associations to the Kinahans etc, describes Gerry Byrne getting shot at, Conor going on holiday to Greece with a load of dealers, lots of stuff we never see written about his fragile ego.

Loved this bit:

Also the article backs up a lot of what Paulie was saying unfortunately:
    Is McGregor really that delicate? He sounds very immature and not adhering to win or learn philosophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Schaub is doing 6 shows in Dublin. Nothing to do with showtime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Is McGregor really that delicate? He sounds very immature and not adhering to win or learn philosophy

Doing stuff his way has gotten him this far.

I know I'm similar in that if I don't like someone's tone, I'll write them off straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Thats exactly what i thought of as well.

Tripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

A lot of purple prose there for sure but if you can filter that out as you read it, then it's a decent, well written and well researched article.

I particularly liked this section:
    The Irish national daily papers have long served as the mouthpiece of the upwardly mobile and educated. McGregor rarely makes their pages. On the first morning of the prefight media tour, The Irish Times and the Independent ran a combined 128 words about it: one small story about Mayweather's tax problems.

Then after McGregor dropped his racist taunts during the tour, the two papers filled pages with essays and think pieces, and one story compared him to Donald Trump, calling him a disgrace to Ireland, its people and its flag. They'd been lying in the shadows, waiting for him to violate some code of modern life, and while they seem legitimately outraged at his racist comments, it's clear they're outraged at the idea of him too.

In fairness, that's spot fcuking on.

Jeeez a lot of hate for the piece
    I thought it was a good read and they've clearly done a bit of homework.

I think it's getting hate because a lot of people don't like to be reminded that Conor keeps some dodgy company. And they especially don't like these stories to be printed stateside.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

It would be very helpful if those who are betting on a Mcgregor win continue to do so as it will keep pushing Floyd Mayweathers odds in allowing those you arnt deluded to make free money by backing him. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mellor wrote: »
    You think Greg would lay down the law with Jon Jones?
    Jon Jones was skipping training to go on coke binges, fled the scene of a hit and run with a pregnant woman and then popped for clomid last year.
    Greg had absolutely zero control over Jones and he didn't considering kicking him off the team for a second.

I'm imagine you are wrong there tbh. Despite fighters training in teams, it's not a team sport.
    McGregor has been known to train late at night for years. The logic being that he'll be fighting at night. Right or wrong, that's his decision. And he has to accept that there may be less volunteers around.

Mayweather trains on Mayweather's schedule.
    If Roger Federer decides training in the evening is best then, he will go ahead and do it.

If he wants a full stable of pro mma and top level bjj fighter to be his a shark tank, he needs to turn up to those sessions.

Say he took the time to fix his technique. Hie rowing would certainly improve. But overall effect might be the same. Assuming the point of those sessions is to go all for the duration.
    Won't know without forking over money I suppose

Any Mayweather sparring partner tells the same story. You'll be scheduled to spar at 2 PM. Mayweather reschedules to 5 or 6. All the while the fighter is waiting at the gym and Mayweather doesn't turn up til 2 AM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

At the height of her UFC fame, Ronda went to Hollywood to film The Expendables 3 and followed that up by filming Entourage and Furious 7. At the height of Conor's fame in the UFC, post-Aldo, he turned down dozens of movie offers.

At the time of those offers, Conor was getting paid $500,000 + PPV points for the Aldo fight. He probably cleared around $3 million for the Aldo contest.

If he wanted to, I'm certain in my mind he could have walked away from the sport and made $20 million in Hollywood popping up in all sorts of movie roles throwing flashy capoeira kicks and delivering bad lines. Basically the Irish Jean Claude van Damme.

We're viewing Conor's career with the benefit of hindsight. We KNOW he challenged RDA, we know he pulled out, we know he lost to Nate, returned to beat Nate, and outclassed Eddie. We know he has gone from earning $3 million a fight to around $12 million a fight.

Look at Ronda. All it takes is 2 devastating defeats back-to-back and all those movie offers go away. That lead role in Road House? Gonzo. Cameos in huge Hollywood films? Gonzo. Conor passed up earning a lot more money in Hollywood, safe money that doesn't involve being kicked in the face, and instead he knuckled down in the gym.

He took the RDA fight and, ultimately, the Alvarez fight because he wanted to be the first to simultaneously hold belts in 2-weight-classes. He eyed up the Woodley fight because he wants to be the first to be a 3-weight-world-champion in the UFC.

People focus on the money but he has consistently turned down easy money to chase harder athletic challenges. RDA was no joke. Rematching Nate at 170 was no joke. Eddie Alvarez is no joke.

Fighting Floyd Mayweather in a boxing ring is no joke.

There comes a point in rich peoples lives where the money ceases to matter as much as you think it does. $100 million changes nothing in Conor's life, he can already buy any car, watch, house, boat, plane he wants. His family want for nothing. He's fighting Floyd because he believes he's the best fighter in the world. He's fighting him because he wants to go down as a legend of combat sports.

Conor is a prize-fighter but the key word is fighter.

I'd be extremely surprised if he passed a screen test. Have you seen his horse racing ads?? He's more wooden than the set.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

I'd be extremely surprised if he passed a screen test. Have you seen his horse racing ads?? He's more wooden than the set.

He's horse racing ads were not that bad to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Dont see anything wrong with that, Conor loves learning new stuff, he doesn't need to be force fed it. Don't rock the boat for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ah I thought though he was excellent in those, complete opposite of wooden, completely tongue in cheek, for someone who's never done it before he was a natural. I know people who've studied drama all their life come across worse when you put them infront of a camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I think it's a great piece. Love those type of articles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Deedsie wrote: »
    How much have you placed on Floyd? What odds did you get?

Floyd was 1/12 now 1/6 and falling

• Advertisement

He's horse racing ads were not that bad to be fair

I've seen scarecrows with more acting prowess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement