Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

I've seen scarecrows with more acting prowess.

I don't think he had a fair chance as most people had their minds made up already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I don't think he had a fair chance as most people had their minds made up already

He. Sounded. Like. He. Was. Reading. His. Lines. Off. A. Cue. Card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I've seen scarecrows with more acting prowess.

It wouldn't matter if Conor had the acting chops of Daniel Day-Lewis you'd still find reasons to slate his acting.

You're fooling nobody on why you come in here...
    Floyd is low class, but McGregor is on the sole of Mayweather shoe when it comes to class.

If he wasn't an MMA fighter, he'd likely be in the Joy or stalking up and down the boardwalk shouting at tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It wouldn't matter if Conor had the acting chops of Daniel Day-Lewis you'd still find reasons to slate his acting.

You're fooling nobody on why you come in here...

And Conor could be on video doing heroin or wearing a kkk hood and you'd be on here saying he fell on the needle or into the hood.

So let's just agree to disagree.

And Conor could be on video doing heroin or wearing a kkk hood and you'd be on here saying he fell on the needle or into the hood.

I criticize Conor and John OFTEN when it's warranted, in fact I can be the most vocal in my criticisms of them both when I feel they've let themselves down, because I want them to succeed and do well.

For you it's always been about the fact Conor, in your mind, is a jumped up little scrote from Crumlin due some comeuppance.

Anyway agree to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Lukker- wrote: »
    Any Mayweather sparring partner tells the same story. You'll be scheduled to spar at 2 PM. Mayweather reschedules to 5 or 6. All the while the fighter is waiting at the gym and Mayweather doesn't turn up til 2 AM.

That's right. Was listening to the following a few weeks back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

That's right. Was listening to the following a few weeks back.

But mayweather is 49-0.Defended 29 times . Mcgregor is 0-0

The responses to Ariel's link to the ESPN article are hilarious.

People up-in-arms that he made Dublin sound like Beirut...

I guarantee the exact same people would be up-in-arms if he made it sound like a place of irish dancing, trad music and leprechauns...they'd be like "no, no, it's far more edgy and dangerous!"

Bottom line whether we like it or not, we have a serious gang problem in this city that has directly claimed 16 lives, indirectly responsible for ruining the lives of thousands and Dublin isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

It makes out he turned down a cul de sac in Baghdad when it mentioned Sheriff st, hes in these working class areas most weekends in house parties when hes not in fight camp, absolute hyperbole, also doesnt mention hes a alleged user of these gangs products funny enough.

The responses to Ariel's link to the ESPN article are hilarious.

People up-in-arms that he made Dublin sound like Beirut...

I guarantee the exact same people would be up-in-arms if he made it sound like a place of irish dancing, trad music and leprechauns...they'd be like "no, no, it's far more edgy and dangerous!"

Bottom line whether we like it or not, we have a serious gang problem in this city that has directly claimed 16 lives, indirectly responsible for ruining the lives of thousands and Dublin isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

Any link to the article? missed that one.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    It makes out he turned down a cul de sac in Baghdad when it mentioned Sheriff st, hes in these working class areas most weekends in house parties when hes not in fight camp, absolute hyperbole, also doesnt mention hes a alleged user of these gangs products funny enough.

Who do you think told him he drove the wrong way up Sheriff Street and had to do a U-turn and piss it out of there? He hardly strolled around Dublin City asking randomers to tell him a McGregor story.

Conor obviously told him the story himself, described Sheriff Street to him, and to be honest that's the same way Sheriff Street was described to me growing up, always told not to walk down there by myself at night when I was a teenager. It has a reputation, deserved or not.

He's writing Conor's version of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Sure, it's an imperfect article given to hyperbole and embellishment, but it has some useful insights and decent social commentary. I tell ya what though, some folks takes in here are infinitely more predictable and tired than any of the hackneyed stereotypes in that article...

Autochange wrote: »
    But mayweather is 49-0.Defended 29 times . Mcgregor is 0-0

So?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I don't know what all the 'there was no way out of Sheriff St so he did a u-turn' is about. It's not a cul de sac. You either come out at Connolly Station or the convention centre depending which way you're going.

Conor obviously told him the story himself.

In fairness, wonder, he says in the article that a woman in the doorway of some shop told him that story and some guy unloading a van added some details also.........
    A woman is telling me this story, standing in the corner store on a street that a local crime writer calls the Hutch family's "Alamo."

"He's from the south side," she explains. "He's not from this side."

Down the road, there's a festival going on. An organizer there unloads crates of bottled water and, when asked, gives more details about what happened next.

Which is why I said earlier the article was well researched as clearly he came and spent some time here to work on it.

In fairness, wonder, he says in the article that a woman in the doorway of some shop told him that story and some guy unloading a van added some details also.........

Which is why I said earlier the article was well researched as clearly he came and spent some time here to work on it.

Think through what you're saying.

You're saying Wright Thompson, the most famous sports writer in America, went randomly rambling through Dublin City looking for stories about Conor and wound up on Sheriff Street?

OR

How about this... Conor tells Wright an anecdote about the time he drove the up a dangerous street in Dublin, so Wright goes for himself to ask around and then gets told the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Boyz in the hood

Well, all the details do appear to be from witnesses pov and he could have went down that part of the city to research the Hutch-Kinehan angle to McGregor's story (given that the media, and one biographer, have written about it before)....... but it's possible that McGregor told him about it I suppose.

Well, all the details do appear to be from witnesses pov and he could have went down that part of the city to research the Hutch-Kinehan angle to McGregor's story (given that the media, and one biographer, have written about it before)....... but it's possible that McGregor told him about it I suppose.

I just think if Wright was randomly researching Kinahan/Hutch he wouldn't be strolling around Sheriff Street, he'd head down to Drimnagh...

Conor probably told him the story so he went looking for someone to corroborate it.

Anyway, the reaction online to this article is split down 2 camps:

Everyone not from Ireland is raving about it.
    Everyone from Ireland is absolutely slating it.

Most people aren't even reading past the lead paragraph, they just saw the description of Sheriff Street and thought "NOPE!".

As I keep reminding people online, Dublin is statistically one of the worst cities in Western Europe for violent muggings, violent crimes and gun homicides. It might "feel" safe for most of us but people shouldn't have a meltdown when an outsider objectively describes certain areas of Dublin as rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

Why does McGregor want to be a gangsta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Who do you think told him he drove the wrong way up Sheriff Street and had to do a U-turn and piss it out of there? He hardly strolled around Dublin City asking randomers to tell him a McGregor story.

Conor obviously told him the story himself, described Sheriff Street to him, and to be honest that's the same way Sheriff Street was described to me growing up, always told not to walk down there by myself at night when I was a teenager. It has a reputation, deserved or not.

He's writing Conor's version of Dublin.

I live beside Sheriff st.

It absolutely deserves the rep it has, especially from the 90s. Not as bad now, but mostly because of certain characters that live on it won't tolerate messing.

It's sells the fight. Let's face it, it's not selling as well as they had hoped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

.ak wrote: »
    I live beside Sheriff st.

It absolutely deserves the rep it has, especially from the 90s. Not as bad now, but mostly because of certain characters that live on it won't tolerate messing.

I just realised it was Store St I had pictured in my head. Had to go on Maps to check it out.

I had no call to be near Sheriff St at any point, so never knowing been there.

Having pushed passed the first bit that initially pissed me off, I enjoyed it. A lot more insightful that anything to come out of the Irish media about Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

snowflaker wrote: »
    It's sells the fight. Let's face it, it's not selling as well as they had hoped

C'mon, you know you need a source for a claim like that.

C'mon, you know you need a source for a claim like that.

It hasn't sold out

I don't know if this has been linked before but it's a good article about some of the seedier people involved in combat sports (there are several parts)

https://thefightingwords.com/2016/10/25/eye-wide-shut/

They talk about the Kinahans, particular Daniel Kinahans MTK Marbella club. There's no question these guys have heavy involvement in the boxing scene here from being a 'patron' of sorts, managing fighters, doing business at fights etc. They're also known to have done large betting scams with horse racing etc. It bothers me learning about Conors connection with some of these guys or their relatives, I think only a mug would bet on this fight.

So?

So?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Perhaps no character caught the city's attention like a gangster named Micky Frazer. He reportedly drove "Fat" Freddie Thompson, one of the two main actors in the feud, and somewhere along the line Frazer ran afoul of someone in Fat Freddie's camp.

I think he confused the "city" with the Sunday World.

Load of overblown nonsense ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

snowflaker wrote: »
    It hasn't sold out

The only reason MayPac sold out was hotels were block buying tickets to bundle with expensive hotel suites. They were barred this time from doing so, hence more availability.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    The only reason MayPac sold out was hotels were block buying tickets to bundle with expensive hotel suites. They were barred this time from doing so, hence more availability.

They thought it would sell without it- it hasn't

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement