Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

I can't wait for this sh1t show to end and Conor to (hopefully) come back to MMA. At this stage I dont care if he defends a belt, just please come back and kick ass again in MMA. If Conor comes back I think I'll go to his next fight, if its in Moscow or Vegas either way I'll attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Haven't been following things the last few weeks. I thought paulie signed a non disclosure etc. Why is he even allowed to talk about sparring sessions??
    Can somebody fill me in a brief synopsis of what's going on the last 2 weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Wonder if Andre will be annoyed with Paulie for revealing that convo.

He claimed he decided not to spar with Conor in case he ended up being "exploited" but to me Berto seems very chilled and down to Earth, and I could see him not giving two fcuks about stuff like that....... and if they did put a pic out suggesting he had been KO'd, I expect he'd only give us the truth after the fight as he'd know it was all just about trying to create media buzz to seel the ppv.

Paulie just seems so damn angry and had he just gone along with it all and had the craic, and not done the interviews saying Conor's power was severely overrated.... then they all would have got on just fine.

When he was speaking about the locker room stuff, I just got the impression that Paulie seems to have a sense of humour bypass.... as that was clearly Conor messing with him. Same with the Facebook DMs.

He takes it all way too seriously. He knows Cortez can speak after the fight and will be telling people that the canvas shot was just a push down, so why not just bite his tongue in the name of selling the fight. Why care so damn much about people thinking he was knocked down for a few weeks.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Haven't been following things the last few weeks. I thought paulie signed a non disclosure etc. Why is he even allowed to talk about sparring sessions??
    Can somebody fill me in a brief synopsis of what's going on the last 2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »

He reaches even higher octaves in his Podcast (which comes out tomorrow):

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/894666699965739008

If Floyd kept him waiting a week, he'd still rim him on arrival...... problem here is that Paulie thinks he above working for Conor in the capacity that he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

That's probably true.

That said, I'm sure Paullie came in with decent intentions, but at the same time he must have expected the ego. Guys at the top of their game are gonna have it, Conor is a troll at heart and always has been, as has been said before if he doesn't like your tone he won't keep you around.

Tbh I think both men could have handled themselves better, but at the end of the day it was probably never gonna work, two big egos in a camp is one too many, especially when they have to spar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

From John's book:
    "If you're a UFC fighter who has ever had something negative to say about Conor, rest assured that he has taken note. That doesn't just apply to fighters. I remember Conor once recorded a "Good luck on your wedding day" sort of video message for a friend of a friend of Owen Roddy. Later that day, I was chatting to Owen in my office when Conor burst through the door.

'Don't send that video!', he shouted at Owen. 'I just realized why I recognize that guy's name. He's a snake.' Seemingly the guy who was getting married had given Cathal Pendred a hard time on Twitter a couple of years earlier"

Not only is he sensitive to criticism, he is clearly vindictive and willing to hold a grudge for years.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion/taste whether that's a good thing or not, I'd say most of us are willing to forgive and forget in life to trivial criticism but most of us aren't insanely driven athletes :o

I wouldn't be surprised if Conor gets Paulie removed from the Showtime broadcast team for the fight just to spite him.

• Advertisement

I don't think Conor is like that.

Anyway, here's the segment for anyone that missed it.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Hi all, long time listener, thanker and reader but first time poster(I think! (sober at least) Just on a different topic I thing Conor will probably loose this fight but the boxing skills he will have gained will make him invincible in the ufc afterwards. He was already very good at boxing in ufc but this will bring him to another level completely.
    I watched the paulie interview and I think it was true what he was saying and he didnt make anything up but he should of known what he was brought in for, saying goodbye that is was a missed opportunity even though Kavanagh has said boxers can't beat Floyd so we will try another angle.

iamtony wrote: »
    Hi all, long time listener, thanker and reader but first time poster(I think! (sober at least) Just on a different topic I thing Conor will probably loose this fight but the boxing skills he will have gained will make him invincible in the ufc afterwards. He was already very good at boxing in ufc but this will bring him to another level completely.
    I watched the paulie interview and I think it was true what he was saying and he didnt make anything up but he should of known what he was brought in for, saying goodbye that is was a missed opportunity even though Kavanagh has said boxers can't beat Floyd so we will try another angle.

Welcome and good post :)

I agree the focus on his boxing this year can only be beneficial to him in the long-run in fights he can keep standing.

Having said that, improving an existing strength won't change the fact his biggest vulnerability remains wrestling in open space. His takedown defence against the fence is now world class but in center-cage he's still susceptible to takedowns against elite wrestlers.

As in, if Khabib or Woodley get their hands clasped in open space, Conor is hitting the deck and from there he's going to be in difficulty as he hasn't shown much evolution in his guard work. Mind you, he finishes a lot of fights so he may be better than we think.

Welcome and good post :)

I agree the focus on his boxing this year can only be beneficial to him in the long-run in fights he can keep standing.

Having said that, improving an existing strength won't change the fact his biggest vulnerability remains wrestling in open space. His takedown defence against the fence is now world class but in center-cage he's still susceptible to takedowns against elite wrestlers.

As in, if Khabib or Woodley get their hands clasped in open space, Conor is hitting the deck and from there he's going to be in difficulty as he hasn't shown much evolution in his guard work. Mind you, he finishes a lot of fights so he may be better than we think.
    I think Khabib is over rated but Woodley on the other hand would destroy Conor he is way to big and strong. It reminds me of a drinking session I had with a few friends recently(and one will probably read this(hi Gary)) that go to the gym and lift weights and one (not Gary) does steroids and stuff but I challenged them to an arm wrestle and neither stood a chance agsinst me an over weight heavyweight because the human body just has a natural starting point that is hard to overcome from training.
    But Khabib on the other hand would not stand a chance after this training camp and wouldn't get to bring it to the ground at all(think alverez).

iamtony wrote: »
    I think Khabib is over rated but Woodley on the other hand would destroy Conor he is way to big and strong. It reminds me of a drinking session I had with a few friends recently(and one will probably read this(hi Gary)) that go to the gym and lift weights and one (not Gary) does steroids and stuff but I challenged them to an arm wrestle and neither stood a chance agsinst me an over weight heavyweight because the human body just has a natural starting point that is hard to overcome from training.
    But Khabib on the other hand would not stand a chance after this training camp and wouldn't get to bring it to the ground at all(think alverez).

Mostly agree. Khabib will have a hard time getting inside without being clipped but he's also a beast so I can't be certain of that.

As for Woodley I'm pretty convinced Conor would beat him, largely because of the style Woodley fights in. Conor does nearly all of his best work when he's pinning guys against the fence (he dropped Brandao, Siver, Nate, Eddie) or when guys explode at him (Buchinger, Aldo, Eddie, Brimage).

Woodley is a tank, for sure, but he still likes to fight with his back to the fence and explode outwards. Punches are always more devastating when the opponent gets clipped with forward momentum, so I think Conor would clip him as he explodes off the fence and that'll be that.

Looking at the welterweight rankings, I'd make Conor favourite against 3 of the top 10 and underdog against the other 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Mostly agree. Khabib will have a hard time getting inside without being clipped but he's also a beast so I can't be certain of that.

As for Woodley I'm pretty convinced Conor would beat him, largely because of the style Woodley fights in. Conor does nearly all of his best work when he's pinning guys against the fence (he dropped Brandao, Siver, Nate, Eddie) or when guys explode at him (Buchinger, Aldo, Eddie, Brimage).

Woodley is a tank, for sure, but he still likes to fight with his back to the fence and explode outwards. Punches are always more devastating when the opponent gets clipped with forward momentum, so I think Conor would clip him as he explodes off the fence and that'll be that.

Looking at the welterweight rankings, I'd make Conor favourite against 3 of the top 10 and underdog against the other 7.
    That's the exact opposite of what I predict. If you look at khabibs stats he is a similar height to Alverez but a longer reach but not as long as Conors. Conor proved he had awesome takedown defence against Alverez at the cage but against Nate he was good in the centre also.
    Personally I'd love to see nate VS Khabib, I'd say nate would slaughter him and Conor wouldnt need to fight him afterwards.
    Woodley is too big and strong for Mcgregor, same way Nate was but even worse. His power punches wouldn't Come close to knocking him down. They will cut him however but that's a different matter. A superman punch from Woodley would surely knock Conor on his ass.
    Regarding getting hit with forward momentum, I'm not sure it makes a big difference scientifically. It might make a 100mph punch into a 101 mph punch but I know what you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Great listening to paulie on the mma hour. A few home truths revealed i feel especially about all the yes men in mcgregors camp

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

ooter wrote: »
    He said during the interview that they beat the sh1t out of each other in the 2nd sparring session, sounds like a good session for Conor against a recently retired former world champion.

Who punches with feathers and has a 16per cent knock out rate

Says it all really

ricero wrote: »
    Great listening to paulie on the mma hour. A few home truths revealed i feel especially about all the yes men in mcgregors camp

Kenny Florian made some really great points about this situation.

Kenny:

"So Paulie was saying about Conor last December that the guy holding the camera could outbox Conor and saying he'd win with one hand behind his back. Then you see pictures of Paulie with a black eye and bloodied up. If Conor shouldn't be boxing the camera guy and Paulie is so damn good, how is he getting hit? How is he getting hurt? I think he's going back to eat his words. Paulie needs to be more self-aware that this is not coming across well for him."

Kenny on the "Yes-Men" and Conor's unwillingness to take Paulie's advice:

"Malinaggi isn't his coach! Conor does not trust a lot of people and he's definitely not going to take advice from a guy who was talking sh1t about him, not to mention I don't think you'd even want to approach Floyd from a traditional boxing manner with boxing advice if you're Conor, you'd want to come at this from a different perspective".

Kenny on Paulie working the broadcast:

"And then this guy is going to call the fight?? WHAT! Honestly, it's extremely weird."

Jon Anik: "The guy shouldn't be calling this fight".

Kenny: "It's way too close to the source. Even I feel funny having trained with Conor 5 years ago giving analysis on this fight, I really don't know about the decision on Showtime's part to allow Paulie to call this fight."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I don't think Conor is like that.

Anyway, here's the segment for anyone that missed it.............

Listened to 10 mins, can't listen to 60 minutes of that client.

“Dude, we’re over $60 million in ticket sales,” UFC President Dana White told The Times in a Thursday telephone interview. “Do you know the best year ever for the UFC — for 44 events — was $80 million?

“The biggest Super Bowl in history was $103 million. We’re going to be pretty close to the biggest one-day record. And if you think about the NFL … it’s 32 teams selling tickets to their season-ticket holders, and the Super Bowl’s in a … stadium and we’re in a arena. How the **** can you be disappointed in that? That’s insane. Amazing. And people are going to start coming into town and buying the rest of the tickets soon.”

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Listened to 10 mins, can't listen to 60 minutes of that client.

Well, basic summary is:

Paulie says that he came to the McGregor camp out of the 'Goodness of his heart' but they put him in a 'dilapidated crack house with chipped paint'. He heard rumours about Conor and they turned out to be true. Says he's one of those fighters that looks for a way out but special fighters look for a way in. That's he's just a front runner, with no character.

Tells us that in the first sparring session McGregor got the better of it because his own conditioning wasn't the best. Next day Paulie sees the hands behind the back picture online and was a little pissed off. That week when back in New York he says he jogged all week and sparred with some young prospect to keep his eyes sharp.

When back to Vegas the McGregor team tell him he's sparring 12 rounds the next day. Paulie's not bothered though as he's "ready this time". Conor was better this spar also though and after the 7th Conor says, "Seven-Zero me!"" Paulie says 'Learn to count' and then shouts at Dana "This is the bitch you brought me?". Next round Paulie gets pushed down and tells Conor he only did it to get a break... but Conor comes strong again in the final rounds as Paulie "fades out" and feels "spent".

In the locker room Conor comes in and says, "Hey, good work" and Paulie says, "Yeah, good work.... but no more of these crazy pictures (referring to the hands behind back shot). Conor laughs and says he doesn't know, they got some good shots today. Paulie tells him if he puts them out he'll let him have it on Twitter and then saus Conor is a dickhead and that nobody knows who any of the other sparring partners are, unlike him, who is a public figure.

Ariel asks him about the comments he made in interviews, but he says he said nothing which made Conor look bad... Ariel doesn't challenge him as Paulie is speaking a hundred miles an hour.

Next day no sparring and Paulie wakes up to a Facebook message from Conor and it shows images of him on the canvas but he thinks Conor is just messing. They all get called to gym but are asked to wait in another section as their going through moves which they don't want the sparring partners to see and Paulie gets furious as he feels that Conor must have known they weren't going to be sparring that day. Phone blows up and Paulie sees that the image of him on the canvas has been posted online by someone in the McGregor camp and Paulie tells the other sparring partners he doesn't have to deal with this crap and goes to a hotel. Says he feels sorry for how Conor makes them live in a crack house.... but then refers to them as "basic shit" and says Conor could have had him and Berto.

Ariel points out that he said on Twitter that he wouldn't have an issue with any media posted but he says he didn't think they would be disrespectful.....but yet then says he knew they would disrespectful as they had been to Van Heerden.

Paulie says Conor is the biggest dirtbag he's ever met in his life.

The End.

The interesting part of Paulie's monologue was that he said:

1. Conor 'won' the first sparring session.
    2. Conor was competitive rounds 1-5 and won rounds 11, 12 in 2nd session.

Now, even if that's the complete truth it's very interesting because if the skill gap was as wide as Paulie thought it would be, surely he'd be winning the earlier rounds when they are both fresh? A skill gap would present itself as its widest when both are at their physical freshest.

I mean, if Conor is some clueless novice he can beat with one hand behind his back, why is he only winning rounds 6-10? He should be destroying him in rounds 1,2,3.

The more the man talks, the more I think Conor dominated him in both sessions... that doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of Floyd but it should silence the likes of Max Kellerman thinking Conor wouldn't land a punch against a pro boxer.

Man, the vid Conor just posted on Instagram. Perfect antidote to all the dirtbag talk this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The interesting part of Paulie's monologue was that he said:

1. Conor 'won' the first sparring session.
    2. Conor was competitive rounds 1-5 and won rounds 11, 12 in 2nd session.

Now, even if that's the complete truth it's very interesting because if the skill gap was as wide as Paulie thought it would be, surely he'd be winning the earlier rounds when they are both fresh? A skill gap would present itself as its widest when both are at their physical freshest.

I mean, if Conor is some clueless novice he can beat with one hand behind his back, why is he only winning rounds 6-10? He should be destroying him in rounds 1,2,3.

The more the man talks, the more I think Conor dominated him in both sessions... that doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of Floyd but it should silence the likes of Max Kellerman thinking Conor wouldn't land a punch against a pro boxer.

Competitive doesnt mean you won, you can lose and still be competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

I wouldn't be surprised if Conor gets Paulie removed from the Showtime broadcast team for the fight just to spite him.

Not after calling Espinosa a bitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

snowflaker wrote: »

Why are you talking about ticket sales? It's TV PPV numbers that dictates how well a fight sells. Tickets in the venue are just a cherry on the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Did paulie confirm he was paid what they agreed originally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Did paulie confirm he was paid what they agreed originally?
    Think he said he didn't get paid at all because he walked out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement