Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Pighead wrote: »
    Think he said he didn't get paid at all because he walked out.

I think he said there was an offer made before and it was accepted and that's what he got... I doubt he gets paid in cash and he walks out of the gym with an envelope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Competitive doesnt mean you won, you can lose and still be competitive

Competitive is still a far cry from "I could beat you with one hand behind my back" - win or lose.
    Not after calling Espinosa a bitch

I'm pretty sure Stephen is more concerned with the 'weasel' tag judging by his social media ever since, he can't do a thing without someone posting a pic of a weasel :pac:

If Conor wanted Paulie off the broadcast, he could get him off it in a heartbeat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

If Conor got him taken off it I'd be worried about Paulies mental health he seems very fragile that could tip him over the edge and im not even joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Listened to 10 mins, can't listen to 60 minutes of that client.

Well, basic summary is:

Paulie says that he came to the McGregor camp out of the 'Goodness of his heart' but they put him in a 'dilapidated crack house with chipped paint'. He heard rumours about Conor and they turned out to be true. Says he's one of those fighters that looks for a way out but special fighters look for a way in. That's he's just a front runner, with no character.

Tells us that in the first sparring session McGregor got the better of it because his own conditioning wasn't the best. Next day Paulie sees the hands behind the back picture online and was a little pissed off. That week when back in New York he says he jogged all week and sparred with some young prospect to keep his eyes sharp.

When back to Vegas the McGregor team tell him he's sparring 12 rounds the next day. Paulie's not bothered though as he's "ready this time". Conor was better this spar also though and after the 7th Conor says, "Seven-Zero me!"" Paulie says 'Learn to count' and then shouts at Dana "This is the bitch you brought me?". Next round Paulie gets pushed down and tells Conor he only did it to get a break... but Conor comes strong again in the final rounds as Paulie "fades out" and feels "spent".

In the locker room Conor comes in and says, "Hey, good work" and Paulie says, "Yeah, good work.... but no more of these crazy pictures (referring to the hands behind back shot). Conor laughs and says he doesn't know, they got some good shots today. Paulie tells him if he puts them out he'll let him have it on Twitter and then saus Conor is a dickhead and that nobody knows who any of the other sparring partners are, unlike him, who is a public figure.

Ariel asks him about the comments he made in interviews, but he says he said nothing which made Conor look bad... Ariel doesn't challenge him as Paulie is speaking a hundred miles an hour.

Next day no sparring and Paulie wakes up to a Facebook message from Conor and it shows images of him on the canvas but he thinks Conor is just messing. They all get called to gym but are asked to wait in another section as their going through moves which they don't want the sparring partners to see and Paulie gets furious as he feels that Conor must have known they weren't going to be sparring that day. Phone blows up and Paulie sees that the image of him on the canvas has been posted online by someone in the McGregor camp and Paulie tells the other sparring partners he doesn't have to deal with this crap and goes to a hotel. Says he feels sorry for how Conor makes them live in a crack house.... but then refers to them as "basic shit" and says Conor could have had him and Berto.

Ariel points out that he said on Twitter that he wouldn't have an issue with any media posted but he says he didn't think they would be disrespectful.....but yet then says he knew they would disrespectful as they had been to Van Heerden.

Paulie says Conor is the biggest dirtbag he's ever met in his life.

The End.

Good sum up.
    Think Pauline got punked. Played big time. Conor knew he had a mouth so had the pics if needed. And was probs only ever brought in for a fight.
    My Mrs heard the interview and said he sounds like hes got a chip on his shoulder bout something, and she doesn't really kno the context.
    It was good insight into the camp tho.although I don't know how much of the camp was different for when paulie was around.
    Would have been good if aerial had of asked him more e.g. bout he would beat him with hands behind his back, or the cameraman would beat conor.
    Look forward to conor 1st question on this.
    Also interesting how Fogarty was pulled from mma hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Kenny Florian made some really great points about this situation.

Kenny:

"So Paulie was saying about Conor last December that the guy holding the camera could outbox Conor and saying he'd win with one hand behind his back. Then you see pictures of Paulie with a black eye and bloodied up. If Conor shouldn't be boxing the camera guy and Paulie is so damn good, how is he getting hit? How is he getting hurt? I think he's going back to eat his words. Paulie needs to be more self-aware that this is not coming across well for him."

Kenny on the "Yes-Men" and Conor's unwillingness to take Paulie's advice:

"Malinaggi isn't his coach! Conor does not trust a lot of people and he's definitely not going to take advice from a guy who was talking sh1t about him, not to mention I don't think you'd even want to approach Floyd from a traditional boxing manner with boxing advice if you're Conor, you'd want to come at this from a different perspective".

Kenny on Paulie working the broadcast:

"And then this guy is going to call the fight?? WHAT! Honestly, it's extremely weird."

Jon Anik: "The guy shouldn't be calling this fight".

Kenny: "It's way too close to the source. Even I feel funny having trained with Conor 5 years ago giving analysis on this fight, I really don't know about the decision on Showtime's part to allow Paulie to call this fight."

Hah, Kenny Florian is worried about integrity :pac:

On a side note. The likes of FightHype and ESNEWS are a bad look for boxing. They are like the sports branch of TMZ, with videos consisting solely of Floyd topless. Doesn't line up with the idea of Boxing being a gentleman's sport.

• Advertisement

Hah, Kenny Florian is worried about integrity :pac:

On a side note. The likes of FightHype and ESNEWS are a bad look for boxing. They are like the sports branch of TMZ, with videos consisting solely of Floyd topless. Doesn't line up with the idea of Boxing being a gentleman's sport.

To be fair, pictures of Conor wearing a t-shirt are like a unicorn these days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He wouldn't get taken off. Conor/UFC don't have that much sway with Showtime. Dana get Ariel off, but he was a small time player, Paullie is one of Showtimes main analysts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

The funny thing is how Paulie says that he wouldn't talk about sparring and didn't care if Conor's team posted photos.

First thing after the spar Paulie says Conor has above average power, not oh my god power and then when they release photos he loses it.

I think he thought that this whole process would make him and Conor friends, that he'd be a huge part of Team McGregor but he was clearly brought in because Conor wanted him to pay for those comments.

McGregor has always been wary of letting other people into his coaching and his camp, even to the extent that he's sticking with his MMA coaches for a boxing match but Paulie's reaction screams of somebody who is embarrassed and got played

Lukker- wrote: »
    He wouldn't get taken off. Conor/UFC don't have that much sway with Showtime. Dana get Ariel off, but he was a small time player, Paullie is one of Showtimes main analysts.

If he felt that strongly about it he could threaten to walk from the fight unless they got rid of Paulie and, in that event, Espinoza would drop Malignaggi like a hot potato. There's no way Espinoza wants any drama this close to the fight and Malignaggi is easily replaceable by one of the other Showtime analysts like Daniel Jacobs/Amir Khan.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they yank Paulie from the broadcast and it comes out in the wash that Conor objected to him. Put it this way, they objected publicly to Kenny Bayless and his comments weren't even that bad.

We can more or less put the paulie debacle to sleep now. He thought mcgregor would be easy as he's not a boxer... And he got schooled.... This bares nothing whatsoever on the main event... But paulie got beat... And that's that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

We can more or less put the paulie debacle to sleep now. He thought mcgregor would be easy as he's not a boxer... And he got schooled.... This bares nothing whatsoever on the main event... But paulie got beat... And that's that

Can you dm me the footage, cheers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

reckon paulie will get another week out of this rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

sc86 wrote: »
    reckon paulie will get another week out of this rubbish

There's a book in there, guaranteed.

If you start a job on Monday you can't break the NDA on Tuesday because you haven't been paid yet. Paulie sounds unhinged and out of touch with reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Is this all just Paulie angling for a scrap at this point? Thought his reply regarding Ariel's assertion that it'd easily do a million buys was less than convincing and somewhat disingenuous. Fat McGregor vs Fat Paulie in 2020, the long held beef finally settled in a bucket of chicken speed eating contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

Sorry this link has been posted back a bit.
    http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterpriseMcGregor/conor-mcgregor-shaped-dublin-roots-prepares-fight-floyd-mayweather?appsrc=sc

But I have a question re the Bruce Lee reference.
    It's all he knows, which is how he ended up challenging Floyd Mayweather to a boxing match, even though Conor doesn't actually box. He's going to make $100 million, motivation enough to fight, but there's something else too, a man so against limits that he pushes past the point of sanity. As the financial details were ironed out, Conor pulled Kavanagh aside. They were at McGregor's house in the exclusive and pastoral K Club, which once hosted a Ryder Cup. "I don't give a f--- about the money," he told his coach. "This is Bruce Lee s---. This is the water filling the cup."
    [\Quote]

Is the water filling the cup the money or is it the knowledge conor might get from this experience?

Also interesting how he says he does not care about the money.probs not entirely true but probs not surprising for sports people that reach high levels.

Another bum life transformed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,588 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

HattrickNZ wrote: »
    Is the water filling the cup the money or is it the knowledge conor might get from this experience?
    I assume the water is not the money, as he had just said it wasn't about the money.

In a quote from Bruce Lee, water is the person in question.

d845b4f848cc93be27675b5b64400e68--bruce-lee-water-quote-bruce-lee-quotes.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

If he felt that strongly about it he could threaten to walk from the fight unless they got rid of Paulie and, in that event, Espinoza would drop Malignaggi like a hot potato. There's no way Espinoza wants any drama this close to the fight and Malignaggi is easily replaceable by one of the other Showtime analysts like Daniel Jacobs/Amir Khan.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they yank Paulie from the broadcast and it comes out in the wash that Conor objected to him. Put it this way, they objected publicly to Kenny Bayless and his comments weren't even that bad.

Are you joking? :D

McGregor would never walk away from this fight over a negotiation of who should be commentating with the money on the table. And no, he doesn't have the power to dictate who should and should not be on part of the broadcast team (let alone the best boxing analyst in the game right now). And even if he did make such a request, you can guarantee Mayweather insists on Paulie being part of the broadcast, and that would be all she wrote. All of that is before you consider how he talked to Espinoza.

Listened to the whole thing this morning, Conor and his team don't come out of it well at all. And its not difficult to believe because you can clearly see with the likes of Gerry Byrne that they are absolute yes men and ego strokers. The one person i'd love to hear speak honestly in all of this would be Kavanagh because he seems to be the only one who isn't keen on saying yes to everything, but given his role for this fight he might not have much say in the matter.

About what Malinaggi was saying a year ago, he was trying to get a fight with Conor. He knew it would be a big pay day so as soon as Conor got his boxing license he and a lot of others went for it which again is pretty standard trash talk between fighters who think money can be made between them.
    And the only reason why he spoke about the "not oh my god power" was because he was forced to talk about the camp directly because Conor and his team released the hands behind the back photo. If he doesn't release the photo, he doesn't get swarmed at a big fight week media scrum by fellow boxing media. Pretty simple to understand really.

Is this all just Paulie angling for a scrap at this point? Thought his reply regarding Ariel's assertion that it'd easily do a million buys was less than convincing and somewhat disingenuous. Fat McGregor vs Fat Paulie in 2020, the long held beef finally settled in a bucket of chicken speed eating contest.
    Conor has shown how worthless he is to him and I doubt he wants to bother with paulie

• Advertisement

One thing I've got from the Ariel interview... Conor is either a master pr machine or an absolute socio path :).... I guess this thread and paulies media workload suggest the former

One thing I've got from the Ariel interview... Conor is either a master pr machine or an absolute socio path :).... I guess this thread and paulies media workload suggest the former

A little from column A a little from column B..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Wish it was paulie he was fighting at the end of the month instead of floyd. Real beef and hatred is better than the fake stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Just partway through this MMA Paulie Hour special. 
    Those first 33mins FFS -  Was like a Kanye style stream of consciousness

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Yer man Frazer who was interviewed in the ESPN article nearly got murdered last night by the Kinahans.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/foiled-gangland-hit-two-kinahan-hitmen-were-on-way-to-shoot-fellow-gang-member-michael-frazer-36009505.html
    Gardaí believe they foiled a gang hit when they arrested two men and seized a fire arm in south Dublin on Monday night.
    Two low level Kinahan associates were arrested during the operation in Ballyfermot.
    Gardaí believe they were planning to kill gangland target Michael Frazer.

Frazer has survived at least five attempts on his life in the last three years.
    A loaded handgun, along with a can of petrol, were found when gardaí stopped their van.

It is believed that the two men (aged 34 and 38), members of the Kinahan crime cartel, were on their way to shoot Frazer, who lives in the Crumlin area.

The men were wearing gloves and camouflage clothing, RTE Reports.

The pair were intercepted by the garda Emergency Response Unit on the Kylemore Road in Ballyfermot at around 8pm on Monday evening.
    They are currently being question in Crumlin Garda Station, having been detained on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder.

Gardaí do not believe the foiled shooting is feud related but is "related to the internal workings of the organisation".
    Local councillor Daithí de Róiste said: "This is another example of how criminality remains a serious problem in Dublin.

"I would like to praise the quick action of Gardaí. It is very likely they have foiled a gangland hit."
    Councillor Daithi Doolan praised gardaí for potentially saving someone's life.

He told Independent.ie: "I would like to congratulate the gardai whose actions have saved a life.
    "This intelligence led operation has helped to protect life.

"I absolutely condemn criminals for their activities in Dublin, who tonight were found to be behaving with blatant disregard for the safety of the community.
    "People would have been put in danger by these criminals, including children who are out playing on the streets.

"The gardai deserve to be fully resourced in their fight against crime and I will be looking for more resources for gardai in Ballyfermot.

"They clearly saved someone's life tonight."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

If this Paulie stuff gets legs it could really affect the ppv rate, It makes Conor sound like a wanker and isn't up to the required standard and doesn't have the x factor to beat Floyd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Im surprised that Paulie faded away (as he put it) in the 11th and 12th round. He speaks enough without taking a breath, surely that must help.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    If this Paulie stuff gets legs it could really affect the ppv rate, It makes Conor sound like a wanker and isn't up to the required standard and doesn't have the x factor to beat Floyd.

As Ariel said the whole fiasco will only drive the PPV one way and that is up IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Lukker- wrote: »
    As Ariel said the whole fiasco will only drive the PPV one way and that is up IMO.

Meh, I'd be surprised if anybody gives enough of a ****e about this Malignaggi nonsense to fork out where they hadn't already planned to

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement