Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I rent a Stump Grinder

Options
  • 14-07-2017 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭

Have seven tree stumps from what I think was a Leylandii hedge.

Want to plant a new Laurel hedge there but have read the soil will be too poor and the stumps should be removed.

Can anyone tell me if a stump grinder will completely remove the stumps and roots and not grow back afterwards?

Anything else I should do to replenish the soil before I plant my new hedge?

Can rent a grinder here
    http://www.hss.ie/g/62844/Portable-Stump-Grinder.html

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Whether or not you grind the stumps the leylandii will not grow back.

You could get rid of the stump but a stump grinder will not get all the roots out. Short of getting a digger in I cannot advise you how to get the roots out, its simply (!) a matter of hauling them out.

If you can get out the stumps and the bigger bits of root you could then add some new soil and fertiliser and plant the hedge while just avoiding any remaining roots. They will rot away eventually, they will not regrow. I am not sure that laurel would be the best hedge in this situation, laurel usually is kept smoothly clipped, in this case I think you cannot avoid the hedge looking patchy. You might do better to put in a mixed hedge and grow climbers over the stumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

looksee wrote: »
    Whether or not you grind the stumps the leylandii will not grow back.

You could get rid of the stump but a stump grinder will not get all the roots out. Short of getting a digger in I cannot advise you how to get the roots out, its simply (!) a matter of hauling them out.

If you can get out the stumps and the bigger bits of root you could then add some new soil and fertiliser and plant the hedge while just avoiding any remaining roots. They will rot away eventually, they will not regrow. I am not sure that laurel would be the best hedge in this situation, laurel usually is kept smoothly clipped, in this case I think you cannot avoid the hedge looking patchy. You might do better to put in a mixed hedge and grow climbers over the stumps.

Thanks for reply.

Looking for a quick screen so need a hedge that will grow to 12ft plus, will a Laurel hedge grow this high relatively quickly?

I am looking to plant four to five foot Laurel plants to get a quick screen.

Are these more or less likely to thrive than the smaller plants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If the stumps are small enough for that grinder then I'd think about getting a mini digger instead and digging the stumps out.

BUT beware the obvious, hidden services like electric, water and drains.

Advertisement