Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Theresa May will come under pressure from Brexit supporters in the cabinet to spell out what she hopes the UK will gain from paying the EU a higher divorce bill of about £40bn, as her most senior ministers meet to discuss an improved offer.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/19/theresa-may-under-pressure-justify-higher-brexit-divorce-bill-cabinet-meeting

What a bunch on amateurs.

Imagine you were selling your car.

Me : Car for sale
    Buyer : How much is it?
    Me : I'll need to ask my other half
    Buyer : Surely you should know this before you decided to sell your car
    Me : So me and the OH had a big fight but we agreed to accept 3,000 euro
    Buyer : Hmm looks like there a few scrapes on it .Will you accept 2,000.
    Me : I'll have to ask my other half
    Me : So we had another fight but she said we will take 2,800
    Buyer :Will you accept 2,200.
    And so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Vronsky wrote: »
    It was the working-time directive that the UK has the most problem with.

I mean, not being able to force employees to work in excess of 48 hrs a week was truly awful. I did think they won a concession on it eventually, where individuals could opt out, but then what you had happening was people were essentially forced to volunteer to opt out, exactly what the directive was meant to prevent.
    Samaris wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused by that. I know of the working time directive, but why is the idea of not being allowed to -force- people to work more than 48hrs so bad? I get that employers of dubious regard for their people got around it and were able to force people to exempt themselves, but ...

Wait, was that sarcasm? Sorry, it's early and I'm very literal first thing in the morning!

Just to point out as well it's 48 hours average over (IIRC) 4 months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/19/theresa-may-under-pressure-justify-higher-brexit-divorce-bill-cabinet-meeting

What a bunch on amateurs.

Imagine you were selling your car.

Me : Car for sale
    Buyer : How much is it?
    Me : I'll need to ask my other half
    Buyer : Surely you should know this before you decided to sell your car
    Me : So me and the OH had a big fight but we agreed to accept 3,000 euro
    Buyer : Hmm looks like there a few scrapes on it .Will you accept 2,000.
    Me : So we had another fight but she said we will take 2,800
    Buyer :Will you accept 2,200.
    And so on
    Much worse:
    EU: So we want you to agree on how to calculate what you should pay
    UK: We'll give you 10 billion
    EU: We want to agree how to calculate the amount before we come to a number
    UK: We're not paying anything more than 10 billion
    EU: Ok, and how did you come to that number?
    UK: Oh and we don't want to pay this, this and that in your calculation, 10 billion is on the table
    EU: We're still waiting on your calculation
    UK: Ok then in the interest in getting the ball rolling 20 billion
    EU: Ok, since you won't give us your own method to calculate we calculate this to be 60 to 100 billion
    UK: We're paying 20 billion and we want access to the single market
    EU: Well as we agreed we need to settle the outstanding three questions first inc. your bill of leaving as you agreed at the start and you said you'd honour your cost, that's 60 billion minimum.
    UK: We're only going to pay 20 billion so let's talk FTA now.
    EU: Sod off.
    UK: Ok, we will pay up to 40 billion.
    EU: ... *goes off preparing for a crash out*
    UK: Hey guys, were are ya, what about our FTA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

flatty wrote: »
    Actually it isn't. Iirc, it has more boots on the ground foreign correspondents than most other papers. It's actually not as bad as you'd be led to believe. I'm surprised at this shoite it's published. Maybe I'm just too infrequent a reader of it or any other paper.

Well We'll agree to disagree. Fox News also qualifies as a good source of journalism by the metric of boots on the ground. The danger people make is associating the wealth of the Telegraph's readership with integrity or a form of class more impeccable than the average Sun reader. The Telegraph's article can be unashamedly racist and crass.

For instance here's an excerpt from a article about Blair's trip to Africa " flag-waving piccaninnies". A regular commentator, Charles Moore's article describe Irish independence as a catalyst for "70 years of economic backwardness and narrow priest-domination – and the North to terrorist guerrilla warfare ." He also posted plenty of sexist, homophobic and xenophobic articles.

It's basically the Sun for richer middle class little Englanders.

The Tories might increase their bill offer from 20 billion to 40 billion. They're holding cabinet talks about it as we speak.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42049472

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Even that BBC article is incorrect. The three issues, don't have to be settled, the EU has asked for, 'sufficient progress' to be made on them. Quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Good evening!

Needless to say - the logical approach for Ireland should be seeking to get the best trading terms possible with the UK by urging the European Commission to discuss trade and customs terms in phase 2 to find a resolution.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

Customs terms are not up for discussion as the UK has ruled out membership of the customs Union. It has ruled out membership of the single market and any governence of the ECJ.

However it has so far refused to give any credible proposal for a frictionless border: not even one. That is because there is no credible solution given the red lines imposed by the UK.

It looks like the UK is trying to use the Irish border to blackmail the EU and Ireland into giving them concessions on the single market and customs Union while not being under the juristiction of the ECJ or pay into the single market like everyone else.

In other words the strategy is to have their cake and eat it.
    The UK could ofcourse dispel this by outlining ANY practical solution to the border that can exist with their red lines. They can't because it doesn't exist.

If the the talks get to stage 2, they know there will be a hard border and they care little.

Edit; just to add. Both groups ran on division of the population. The old divide and conquer technique. The UK fights to divide Britain from its neighbours and has consequently imposed deep and bitter divisions on its own population. The divisions egged along by Trump especially, but also his minions is also noticeable. Lies are employed regularly by both groups to ensure that their own people stay in line (with a good dose of paranoia). Anyone who disagrees with the Cult of Brexit or the Cult of Trump is an enemy rather than a fellow citizen. "We won, shut up, traitor."

Just to add: The exacerbating and hardening of divisions in the UK were imposed and carried out by mainly external actors.
    Cambridge Analytica, Rupert Murdoch, Goddard Gunster (leave.eu campaign management), Breitbart, Legatum, Russian State.
    Similar actors in US and other countries.
    Same rhetoric on nationalism, traitors etc. Same user manual.
    After the goal has been achieved divisions are maintained so that reversal is more difficult. That is why the propaganda onslaught has continued in US and UK since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And now it's on black and white for all Financial business in London:
    “The legal consequence of Brexit is that the UK financial service providers lose their EU passport. This passport allows them to offer their services to a market of 500 million consumers and 22 million business."

The chief negotiator said the EU might judge some UK rules as “equivalent” to EU passporting rights but ruled out the City of London having access to EU financial markets under the same passporting deal as now. Mr Barnier told the audience at the Centre for European Reform: “Those who claim that the UK should pick parts of the single market must stop this contradiction. The single market is a package, with four indivisible freedoms, common rules, institutions, and enforcement structures.
    That should also help speed up any FTA talks and settle the question once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭Harika

DPEhxdmXcAAaWJ0.jpg:large

Didn't see it in the last pages, but this picture describes the problem of the irish border very well. All obvious solutions are not working, so there has to be a very clever solution to solve that paradox.

Obvious:
    Stop Brexit -> Not gonna happen
    NI stays in custom union and border between Ireland and UK then -> Not going to happen
    Irexit -> Not gonna happen either
    Hard Border -> Unwanted but maybe the solution, with a lot of implications down the line
    No border -> Great idea, just pretend UK is not in the CU anymore, might be workable when UK plays nice in the other open points

I think the British side suggested a fast tracking border control, where companies can register and are getting fast tracked at the physical border between NI and IRE. What is as strange as having drones controlling the border.

Harika wrote: »
    DPEhxdmXcAAaWJ0.jpg:large

Didn't see it in the last pages, but this picture describes the problem of the irish border very well. All obvious solutions are not working, so there has to be a very clever solution to solve that paradox.

Obvious:
    Stop Brexit -> Not gonna happen
    NI stays in custom union and border between Ireland and UK then -> Not going to happen
    Irexit -> Not gonna happen either
    Hard Border -> Unwanted but maybe the solution, with a lot of implications down the line
    No border -> Great idea, just pretend UK is not in the CU anymore, might be workable when UK plays nice in the other open points

I think the British side suggested a fast tracking border control, where companies can register and are getting fast tracked at the physical border between NI and IRE. What is as strange as having drones controlling the border.

UK stays in EEA with NI staying in Single market to account for agriculture?

demfad wrote: »
    UK stays in EEA with NI staying in Single market to account for agriculture?

That would require a border between UK and NI or?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Nody wrote: »
    <...> That should also help speed up any FTA talks and settle the question once and for all.
    Well, after broadcasting that one loud and in the clear, I'd expect Theresa to magic an extra €30bn to €40bn before end week 49 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭solodeogloria

ambro25 wrote: »
    Well, after broadcasting that one loud and in the clear, I'd expect Theresa to magic an extra €30bn to €40bn before end week 49 ;)

Good afternoon!

I can't imagine much more than €20bn extra being offered. She won't sell it to the British public otherwise. I agree it will be higher than what she's offered at Florence and should be higher than that but the UK would need to see significant movement from the EU for this.

There is an interesting chart in the FT. Screen is on this live blog at 10:38 in the Guardian. It shows the range of values we're talking about.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

I don't understand why the UK keep bidding values. They were asked to set out a methodology on working what they thought their liability was.

It's not pay for access, it's paying to settle the accounts.

The initial 20bn was a non offer anyway, since that was just the net contributions for the proposed 2 yr transition period. The UK has offered nought so far.

• Advertisement

Good afternoon!

I can't imagine much more than €20bn extra being offered. She won't sell it to the British public otherwise. I agree it will be higher than what she's offered at Florence and should be higher than that but the UK would need to see significant movement from the EU for this.

There is an interesting chart in the FT. Screen is on this live blog at 10:38 in the Guardian. It shows the range of values we're talking about.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria
    Is that "much more than €20bn" on top of the earlier €20bn? Or total?

I ask, because I distinctly remember you fixating on €36bn, and neither of the 2 positions above correlates with that figure.

Incidentally -and irrespective- do you mind sharing your calculation basis and method (or linking me to it)?

In the alternative, I say €65bn. Because, and here's my calculation basis and method (:D), it's-

(i) less than the EU's top end figure of €100bn; but

(ii) more than half of it;

(iii) at least triple May/Davis' opening gamble, for the political and numerical education of their masters and supporters;

(iv) wherein the extra €5bn is levied as late fees for wasting everyone's time (feel free to call it the stupidity uplift clause) ; and

(v) we want to avoid a re-run of 'Germany post-WW1' (that was a really s***tty playbook) and they'll have to pay a chunk of my state pension in a few decades, so we don't want to bankrupt them.

Good afternoon!

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

This graph also shows that the financial settlement is relatively easy to solve, everyone moves when needed and you settle. Easy, TM just needs to sell it somehow at home, with the hardliners already starting to get ready to fight any number above 0.
    On the other hand, you have the border question, and can Ireland be proud to be in the middle of it the question now?

ambro25 wrote: »
    Is that "much more than €20bn" on top of the earlier €20bn? Or total?

I ask, because I distinctly remember you fixating on €36bn, and neither of the 2 positions above correlates with that figure.

Incidentally -and irrespective- do you mind sharing your calculation basis and method (or linking me to it)?

In the alternative, I say €65bn. Because, and here's my calculation basis and method (:D), it's-

(i) less than the EU's top end figure of €100bn; but

(ii) more than half of it;

(iii) at least triple May/Davis' opening gamble, for the political and numerical education of their masters and supporters;

(iv) wherein the extra €5bn is levied as late fees for wasting everyone's time (feel free to call it the stupidity uplift clause) ; and

(v) we want to avoid a re-run of 'Germany post-WW1' (that was a really s***tty playbook) and they'll have to pay a chunk of my state pension in a few decades, so we don't want to bankrupt them.

Good afternoon!

£36bn is what I said which is roughly €40bn. I also said that this should be net and not gross. That allows for more scope for assets to be taken into account.

Anything north of that isn't sellable to the British public. They have no appetite for being set as an "example" for making a democratic decision.

Comparing that to a war is a touch silly to say the least.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

£36bn is what I said which is roughly €40bn. I also said that this should be net and not gross. That allows for more scope for assets to be taken into account.

Anything north of that isn't sellable to the British public. They have no appetite for being set as an "example" for making a democratic decision.
    What is "sellable" to the UK public or not, and what their appetite is for <whatever>, are both wholly irrelevant to the computation of the actual figure, which can be arrived at objectively on the basis of (i) ledger entries, (ii) written commitments and (iii) statements of intents of both parties on the topic (notably Davis' to the effect that the UK honours its engagements and May's to the effect that Brexit shall be cost-neutral to the EU27).

It is 100% May's job to profile that appetite (by informing her charges that their vote has consequences, of which this bill is but one) and to sell whatever the figure ends up being after objective calculation. Not the EU's.

So, do I take it that these 2 factors are your counter-joke to my fanciful rethoric, or that they represent the sum total of your basis and method? :confused:

Because if that's you basis and method, it's no better nor worse in the objectivity stakes, than my fanciful rethoric. And so €65bn it still is.
    So is misrepresenting that I compared it to a war :rolleyes:

The socio-economic (and, later, -political) effects of the Versailles treaty-imposed reparations (the war bill, if you will), however...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I would assume that this is a reason why the EU wants to come to an agreement on what the outstanding liabilities are, not the amounts. If the UK agrees to pay all of its outstanding liabilities they signed up to and it amounts to £80b then so be it. Whether you agree with the amount or not is not relevant, it is whether the UK agreed to paying the amount.

People will get stuck on an amount and whether it seems too big without thinking if it is what should be paid. If the outstanding liabilities comes down to £5b then so be it, but work out what is owed before talking about the amounts. I think you could explain this to a 12 year old, but Brexiteers seem to have a problem with this.

• Advertisement

Enzokk wrote: »
    I would assume that this is a reason why the EU wants to come to an agreement on what the outstanding liabilities are, not the amounts. If the UK agrees to pay all of its outstanding liabilities they signed up to and it amounts to £80b then so be it. Whether you agree with the amount or not is not relevant, it is whether the UK agreed to paying the amount.

People will get stuck on an amount and whether it seems too big without thinking if it is what should be paid. If the outstanding liabilities comes down to £5b then so be it, but work out what is owed before talking about the amounts. I think you could explain this to a 12 year old, but Brexiteers seem to have a problem with this.

Good afternoon!

Firstly - it isn't a debt. It's a sum that Britain has agreed to give. That's very different. A commitment isn't the same as a debt.

Secondly - there is a figure beyond which is unreasonable. Going much beyond 3 years of commitments plus assets is going to be beyond the pale and will more likely lead to no deal. There's no appetite in the UK for a punitive deal or to be made an example of for a democratic decision.

I'm hoping for reasonable heads over the next few weeks. £80bn is go whistle territory.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

Harika wrote: »
    That would require a border between UK and NI or?

Only for agricultural produce and only de facto in the direction GB to NI/ROI.
    NI would have regulatory equivalence with EU in agriculture British agricultural 'imports' to NI would have to be processed. High standard NI produce would require less processing at border. This is the way the vast amount of the agricultural trade goes anyway.

I pity cancer patients in the UK now; Barnier has shut down yet another door on the UK in his speech last night:
    "The same people who argue for setting the UK free also argue that the UK should remain in some EU agencies", Barnier notes. "But freedom implies responsibility for building new UK administrative capacity". He declares:

On our side, the 27 will continue to deepen the work of those agencies, together. They will share the costs for running those agencies. Our businesses will benefit from their expertise. All of their work is firmly based on the EU Treaties which the UK decided to leave. Those who claim that the UK should "cherry-pick" parts of the Single Market must stop this contradiction.
    That means no EURATOM membership, no access to the medical board etc. And that will have huge consequences on 30th March...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭flatty

steddyeddy wrote: »
    flatty wrote: »
    Actually it isn't. Iirc, it has more boots on the ground foreign correspondents than most other papers. It's actually not as bad as you'd be led to believe. I'm surprised at this shoite it's published. Maybe I'm just too infrequent a reader of it or any other paper.

Well We'll agree to disagree. Fox News also qualifies as a good source of journalism by the metric of boots on the ground. The danger people make is associating the wealth of the Telegraph's readership with integrity or a form of class more impeccable than the average Sun reader. The Telegraph's article can be unashamedly racist and crass.

For instance here's an excerpt from a article about Blair's trip to Africa " flag-waving piccaninnies". A regular commentator, Charles Moore's article describe Irish independence as a catalyst for "70 years of economic backwardness and narrow priest-domination – and the North to terrorist guerrilla warfare ." He also posted plenty of sexist, homophobic and xenophobic articles.

It's basically the Sun for richer middle class little Englanders.
    You can pick pieces out of any news outlet to be honest.
    I don't read the Telegraph, bar the business section, which seems balanced and fair by and large, or if there's nothing else to do. I suspect that I had such a deep suspicion of it, given what I'd read, that it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd expected.
    There are awful articles in every single paper. The Times is as bad as any, and far worse than the Telegraph Imo.
    Anyhow, it's a side issue. Citing fox news, well, hmm.

Here's an article from the Guardian which gets a range of opinions, north and south of the Irish border on Brexit. It's good that these voices are heard because no Brexiters actually care about the effect this has on Ireland.

Ireland has said it will block progress of Brexit negotiations in December, unless the UK give a formal written guarantee there will be no hard border with Northern Ireland.

The Guardian view on Brexit and the Irish border: Britain’s shameful dereliction
    Editorial: From the referendum campaign onwards, Brexiters have ignored the dire implications for Ireland. The neglect is a political and moral failure alike
    Read more
    In frank remarks before a breakfast meeting with British PM Theresa May, the Irish prime minister, Leo Varadkar, said Brexit-backing politicians had not “thought all this through” in the years they had been pushing for a British departure from the EU.

We asked our readers living in Northern Ireland and the Republic what they made of the state of Brexit negotiations, how concerned they are about the lack of progress, and what they thought should be done about the border question.

‘Britain is dragging us with them’
    Britain is heading towards a hard Brexit and dragging us with them. Only two solutions possible to avoid a hard border: the north stays in the customs union and single market, or a united Ireland. If Britain frustrates our appeal on the former, then they must give us a vote on the latter.
    Conor Heaney, 37, Derry

‘A lot of people my age are ready to protest if any visible border is erected’
    I can’t really believe there won’t be a visible frictionless border, as much as I want it. I want the situation to be resolved peacefully. The emotion it creates, the thought of a check point: I don’t want there to be violence, but there will be protest. We are still suffering a hangover from The Troubles and that physical border will be a heartbreaking reminder of the past.

I have noticed an increase in the price of food over recent months. This can be quite difficult because I am paid in euros. A lot of people my age are ready to protest if any visible border is erected - we will set up camp on the border and you will have to drive over us.

Noelle, 28, Northern Irish citizen working in the Republic Of Ireland

‘No thought was given to what leaving the EU actually means’

It’s an absolute shambles. No thought was given to what leaving the EU actually means for trade and movement of people. The actions of the DUP in propping up the Tory government will do them and their supporters harm in the long run.

The border has to be moved to the Irish Sea. NI should remain part of the customs union and the single market no matter what the island of Britain does. It is the only practical solution for trade and the only one that preserves the Good Friday Agreement. The unionists will hate this but they have brought it on themselves by backing and campaigning for leave.

There are opportunities in any crisis. I think NI has the opportunity to serve as a bridge between Britain and the EU - a kind of free trade zone half in, half out of the UK.

John McAuley, 40, Belfast

‘The English are winging it’
    The English are “winging it” with no idea of what they are doing. The fact that a small group of people headed by Theresa May can make such far-reaching decisions affecting my children and grandchildren’s future is almost surreal.

It is as if we are an afterthought and confirms what many have believed for a long time; we are truly second-class citizens.

Martin, 68, Belfast

‘Remain MPs must find their courage’

Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you
    Read more
    Unless Remain MPs get their act together and find their courage, there will be a hard Brexit with no border deal. Then Johnson and Gove - by now PM and chancellor - will blame the EU.

They have no solution to the border issue because they know there can only be a hard border, like before.

Mick Collier, 58, Galway

‘I feel angry our hard-won peace is being jeopardised’
    I have no idea how the border question can be resolved and I doubt anybody does including the British ministers negotiating it. The only people I now trust to put our case are the Irish government.

I feel very angry that our hard won peace is being jeopardised by people who have no real understanding of our delicately balanced political arrangements here.

Janet Rice, 63, Belfast

‘It’s mind-boggling that the British establishment don’t get this’

The British government seem to trade in generalities, that “progress” is being made, when it is clearly evident that there was no foresight and no appreciation of what this exit process would entail. Or indeed, the real implications of such isolation.

For peace, stability and economic progress the North must remain in the Customs Union or something similar. Otherwise, chaos. If we go back to a border we potentially open up wounds that have barely healed. It is mind-boggling that the British establishment don’t get this.

Michael Harnett, Dublin

‘The British don’t want us and the Republic can’t afford us’
    The British haven’t a clue about Brexit even after all this time Their complete lack of concern for and knowledge of Northern Ireland (which, we are constantly told is as British as Yorkshire) and its unique circumstances is jaw dropping. A second British-imposed border on the island of Ireland is totally unacceptable. It can only be resolved with the North having full membership of the EU as before: in short, a united Ireland.

As I work on the border, I buy my car fuel in the Republic because it’s cheaper. After Brexit, am I going to be stopped, have my car searched and made to show receipts or be accused of smuggling? And if so, who will stop me? The British army? British Customs and Excise?

The Irish authorities should refuse to pay for any border controls: after all, it’s Britain who is leaving. They must pay the full amount for any new border controls if these are ever reinstalled. The British don’t want us and the Republic can’t afford us, so accept with extreme caution any honeyed words from Boris and his Irish counterpart.

John Austin, 52, Northern Ireland

I think the the UK, for all sorts of reasons, esp internal, set out to prevaracte and ramp up pressure and find a fissure between the 27. However, it seems it's the EU are ramping up the pressure and the UK are caught, naked of any idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It looks like Vote Leave is now under investigation. I'm not sure what happens if they're guilty. I can't imagine that Article 50 can just be revoked because the official Leave campaign was breaking the rules.

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/932641277845344257

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,205 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Good afternoon!

Firstly - it isn't a debt. It's a sum that Britain has agreed to give. That's very different. A commitment isn't the same as a debt.

Secondly - there is a figure beyond which is unreasonable. Going much beyond 3 years of commitments plus assets is going to be beyond the pale and will more likely lead to no deal. There's no appetite in the UK for a punitive deal or to be made an example of for a democratic decision.

I'm hoping for reasonable heads over the next few weeks. £80bn is go whistle territory.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

Philip Hammond was referring to it as very much a debt on ITV last night. 'Britain is that kinda of country, we pay our debts' was more or less what he said.

It looks like Vote Leave is now under investigation. I'm not sure what happens if they're guilty. I can't imagine that Article 50 can just be revoked because the official Leave campaign was breaking the rules.
    Fines and possible prison sentences, perhaps not allowed to work politically or similar limitations but that is about as far as it would go.

Where their really caught is, that the diff campaigns were linked an thus, will be considered the one org for the purposes of accessing funding and said limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Medicines Agency to Amsterdam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Amsterdam has been chosen as the new location for the EMA.

Medicine regulator begins the Great Brexit Experiment
    European health ministers today voted for Amsterdam to replace London as the new headquarters of the agency, which regulates the development and sale of medicines to 500 million Europeans and a £200 billion industry.

Its 900 staff now at least know where they are going, assuming they are willing to stay with the agency and take part in a 17-month transition they think needs at least two years, and probably three, to complete.

Ireland withdrew from that competition earlier today, to conc on the banking one.

A friend of mine works in the EMA. Amsterdam is a great city to work in. So this essentially means that new medicines will be delayed in getting to the UK as they'll need a whole new regulatory system. They could also adapt the EU legislation word for word but this would mean they have to follow a system that they have zero input into.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A friend of mine works in the EMA. Amsterdam is a great city to work in. So this essentially means that new medicines will be delayed in getting to the UK as they'll need a whole new regulatory system. They could also adapt the EU legislation word for word but this would mean they have to follow a system that they have zero input into.

Hmm... I saw a Trainee Patent Attorney opportunity at The Hague I almost went for. The Netherlands has a good history as a free-trading nation, almost as good as the UK's so it's an excellent choice. Fingers crossed Dublin gets the EBA headquarters. Be something of a consolation over the whole border fiasco.

The husband of a pretty vile Greek woman I used to work for worked for the EMA so I can finally point to some good coming from Brexit.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Good afternoon!

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

Your language is wrong on this.

Whether the bill is set at €5bn or €100bn, it has nothing to do with rewarding or setting an example of the British public for making a democratic decision. It is simply implementing that democratic decision, hence the EU view that the methodology should be first agreed and then the figure should be calculated. T

Hmm... I saw a Trainee Patent Attorney opportunity at The Hague I almost went for. The Netherlands has a good history as a free-trading nation, almost as good as the UK's so it's an excellent choice. Fingers crossed Dublin gets the EBA headquarters. Be something of a consolation over the whole border fiasco.

The husband of a pretty vile Greek woman I used to work for worked for the EMA so I can finally point to some good coming from Brexit.

Ha ha you're safe now A. I would have liked to have the EMA in Dublin but it's not a big deal really. You should go for the patent attorney job if you can. It's a ton of money for a very stable job. I heard it can be a bit boring though.

Good evening!

Good for Amsterdam and hopefully Dublin gets the EBA.

This is a logical outcome of Brexit. I'm not particularly sad at the loss of these agencies it's just a part and seal of the UK moving out if the European Union. Britain will do just fine outside just like other countries do.

blanch152: tosh, if the figure is €100bn it's not worth paying. The UK's commitments won't be anywhere near that figure. The UK won't accept being made an example of. If the money comes to that I'd rather it spent on a no deal exit. If the bill is that much you know the rest of the deal will be God awful.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

I'm sure he'll find plenty to amuse himself in his spare time, in Amsterdam, ha.

• Advertisement

And the EBA to Paris on the turn of chance. I wonder if Czecchia abstained.

Good evening!

Good for Amsterdam and hopefully Dublin gets the EBA.

This is a logical outcome of Brexit. I'm not particularly sad at the loss of these agencies it's just a part and seal of the UK moving out if the European Union. Britain will do just fine outside just like other countries do.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

No you wouldn't be. You're a sometimes Irish (depending on the thread) remain voter who's campaigning for a hard Brexit. I can't think of many Brexit related events that would actually affect you.

I'm not wasting time explaining why the UK leaving a regulatory body is bad for the UK.

Bad news as Dublin loses out to Paris for European banking authority.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/paris-beats-dublin-for-european-banking-authority-1.3298881

No you wouldn't be. You're a sometimes Irish (depending on the thread) remain voter who's campaigning for a hard Brexit. I can't think of many Brexit related events that would actually affect you.

I'm not wasting time explaining why the UK leaving a regulatory body is bad for the UK.

Good evening!

I'm not quite sure what the bold is meant to mean. I don't think it's appropriate to say that my political views should make you question my nationality. Being Irish isn't contingent on thinking the EU is wonderful. I've never said I'm anything but.

The UK will be able to build up its own competences in these areas. That'll be good for the UK. Considering that about 75% of employees wanted to quit at the thought of a move as soon ago as the summer there may be jobs for them at a British regulator. (Edit: Most of the EBA jobs should be easily enough filled through the Bank of England's PRA and FCA at Threadneedle Street)

I honestly wish the rest of the EU27 the best in their endeavours, but I think the UK has definitely made the right decision to come out.

I simply disagree with you.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/paris-beats-dublin-for-european-banking-authority-1.3298881

Was going to post that I was expecting this. Macron seems quite assertive and this would be an excellent opportunity for him to claim a quick win and to set the tone for his government. Can't say I'm happy about this but fair play to him.

Hey Solo, no I'm saying that your story and background change depending on the thread you read. You change the facts to suit the thread.In other words I don't believe you believe your posts.

Good evening!

It really isn't OK to say that I'm not Irish because of my politics.

I've consistently said I voted remain and I changed my mind.

You might disagree with me on Brexit, express that disagreement but leave the ad-hominems at home.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

• Advertisement

Was going to post that I was expecting this. Macron seems quite assertive and this would be an excellent opportunity for him to claim a quick win and to set the tone for his government. Can't say I'm happy about this but fair play to him.

It would be really interesting to know which country abstained in that last voting round though. We know for the EMA it was Slovakia.

To be fair though, I think there's evidence that Irish diplomats are punching far above their weight here which augurs well for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

Sir Ivan Rogers (HM ambassador to the EU before he resigned this year) has been speaking at an NFU conference. The Guardian has quotes from his speech, but this is relevant to us:
    Sir Ivan Rogers, speaking at the NFU "On the Irish border - we all know this is an insoluble problem. You cannot have a soft border and regulatory divergence at the same time."

He has other very realistic and chilling things to say to British farmers which are worth reading, bearing in mind that farmers voted largely to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Good afternoon!

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

Why is it go whistle territory? What are the calculations that lead you to conclude that X, Y or indeed Z is reasonable or unreasonable other than "the British won't like it"?

And that bolded bit? That is exactly why the bit below will not work.
    Needless to say - the logical approach for Ireland should be seeking to get the best trading terms possible with the UK by urging the European Commission to discuss trade and customs terms in phase 2 to find a resolution.

It would not be remotely logical to give away our position for something that affects us and our nearest neighbour (the North) far more than England (who gets the actual say for the most part).

There is too much wild argument that Britain should not honour their commitments, that to do so is the EU being mean to Britain (while refusing to give any standard of calculation bar "what the British people will like" which is an entirely irrelevant metric, btw). It is a sad and shameful thing, but there it is.

Wild talk, incompetence and sneering disregard for deals already made has its consequences. It has only taken a year for Britain to throw away forty years of reputation for honourable dealings.

It is pointless to complain when other countries look out for their own best interests rather than Britain's. Especially when most of the noise coming out of Britain regarding it has been hot air and insults to their neighbours.

Good evening!
    Why is it go whistle territory? What are the calculations that lead you to conclude that X, Y or indeed Z is reasonable or unreasonable other than "the British won't like it"?

And that bolded bit? That is exactly why the bit below will not work.

It's go whistle territory because there is no way that what the UK agreed to give will reach that figure. That's a lot of money that could be put to a lot of good within the UK. If the EU are serious about coming to a reasonable figure that covers what the UK has agreed to give for the budget schedule and other liabilities then we can discuss that. But £80bn / €100bn isn't a reasonable figure. That's quite similar to the war reparations that ambro25 discussed. The UK won't be "punished" or "made an example" of.
    It would not be remotely logical to give away our position for something that affects us and our nearest neighbour (the North) far more than England (who gets the actual say for the most part).

There is too much wild argument that Britain should not honour their commitments, that to do so is the EU being mean to Britain (while refusing to give any standard of calculation bar "what the British people will like" which is an entirely irrelevant metric, btw). It is a sad and shameful thing, but there it is.

Wild talk, incompetence and sneering disregard for deals already made has its consequences. It has only taken a year for Britain to throw away forty years of reputation for honourable dealings.

It is pointless to complain when other countries look out for their own best interests rather than Britain's. Especially when most of the noise coming out of Britain regarding it has been hot air and insults to their neighbours.

A deal with a €100bn "bill" is a rubbish deal. It would be better to walk.

I'm personally hoping for a reasonable, mutually beneficial arrangement. That wouldn't be it.

If Ireland's interested in a good arrangement then it should be arguing for one. Namely a mutually beneficial deal with good trade and customs terms.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Good news for the rest of Europe though

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement