Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kowtow wrote: »
    I think that's the key point here and clearly that is what the UK will need to achieve with its soft / electronic border at the frontier itself. I'm fairly confident that they can do this to the satisfaction of the WTO and still put no hardware at the border. It is less likely that Ireland and the EU can achieve the same from our side.

Clearly it serves our purposes qua EU members to paint the UK negotiators as utterly confused and chaotic. That picture has been built up since before the start of the talks and the Tories are doing a great job of playing into our hands. However.. That picture of chaos only really helps the EU if it leads to a Corbyn govt. + A really EU friendly fudge.. basically a Brexit which doesn't mean Brexit.

Which is presumably why we here and many of the hardened remainers in the UK keep rehearsing the Brexit arguments ad nauseam.

The trouble is we misjduge.. IMO the degree to which economics, immigration and the rest define the referendum. They were important but perhaps they were not overriding. In the end the UK prize sovereignty perhaps even more than prosperity (they would hardly be the first.. And sovereignty is not in this sense a relative or shareable concept).. and there is a deep seated mistrust of the EU, it's politicians and it's mechanisms. In my opinion those two factors carried the vote and our behaviour and that of the EU throughout the talks absolutely justifies and bears out those concerns. We are behaving.. for perfectly sound tactical and political reasons.. like the technocratic Empire the UK so instinctively detests.

There is no pretty outcome to this problem, particularly for Ireland, and as much as we might lay the blame at Britain's door we must recognise the real roots of their decision lie with the EU and it's genesis as much as anywhere else.

And we - of all the nations- can hardly blame the British for voting with their hearts rather than their heads.

From reading the ream of posts you have put out in the last few pages, it appears to me that you are attempting to portray a line of 'blame' everyone else but the british for their current predicament, But we all must accept what they want because its their right to it.

On a personal basis im tired of the British governments so called demands, i honestly do not believe they are smart enough to be actively engaged in some pseudo mind games to make it look like they are disorganised. I think they fully expected the leave result to fail and they are completely disorganised, most truly dont want to leave but are seeking ways for which it either benefits them personally or their supporters. And they are running around like headless chickens. The red lines are an attempt to look cohesive and strong. But tbh id have them out tomorrow and let them float in the stink of their own mess.

That will settle the delusion quite quickly and you will see how strong these cohesive Tories really are on the WTO market and this big new world of friendly trade that awaits the massive industrial nation of Britain

Its a comedy show of british politics right now, would make an excellent season of Spitting Image.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/23/irish-report-shows-eu-lack-of-respect-for-uk-handling-of-brexit

The Guardian now reporting on the leaked Irish document.

The gloves have really come off in the past week. Firstly we had Irish bashing in the Tory newspapers last week after the meetings between Governments that clearly went very badly.

Arlene Foster followed up with an attack yesterday on Varadkar and his government.

Now today, the Irish side get some retaliation in and this will certainly up the ante as it is firmly orchastrated to embarrass Davis and Johnson in particular.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

deleted post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I think that's the key point here and clearly that is what the UK will need to achieve with its soft / electronic border at the frontier itself. I'm fairly confident that they can do this to the satisfaction of the WTO and still put no hardware at the border.

Why are you fairly confident about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Panrich wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/23/irish-report-shows-eu-lack-of-respect-for-uk-handling-of-brexit

The gloves have really come off in the past week. Firstly we had Irish bashing in the Tory newspapers last week after the meetings between Governments that clearly went very badly.

Arlene Foster followed up with an attack yesterday on Varadkar and his government.

Now today, the Irish side get some retaliation in and this will certainly up the ante as it is firmly orchastrated to embarrass Davis and Johnson in particular.

The Spectator respond by thinking Varadkar has bitten off more than he can chew, and that the proposal goes against Tory principles:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/11/the-irish-stance-against-brexit-is-a-dangerous-gamble/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The Guardian had reported on Wednesday how senior figures in the Spanish government were left surprised by claims from Davis last week that Spain was pushing for a trade deal. “It is amazing how the British misread us,” one senior source said. “Almost as if we speak a different language. They come to us, we say: ‘We will see what we can do.’ But it means nothing.”

From same link . It's amazing. We constantly see this UK says we've made progress. EU or member state replies "What meeting where you in lads".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Calina wrote:
    Why are you fairly confident about this?

I suppose I'm thinking of the Swiss model which clearly satisfies WTO requirements. There are plenty of swiss crossing points without manned infrastructure. Britain already has facilities at the sea ports, and those combined with electronic declarations, trusted traders etc ought to be able to provide a workable solution from the UK side or at least one which satisfies WTO needs?

Is there any objective commentary which suggests this isn't the case?

Jeremy Corbyn :“Seventeen months after the referendum they say there can be no hard border but haven’t worked out how. They say they’ll protect workers rights, then vote against it. They say they’ll protect environmental rights, then vote against it. They promise action on tax avoidance but vote against it time and time again.”
    Where has Corbyn been? On a journey, say those close by. A lifetime of instinctive “capitalist club” Euroscepticism has been shed. Passionate distress over Brexit from his young supporters and his trade union allies has brought him round. Besides, the facts have changed. His vague, abstract distaste for the EU has given way to facing the hard reality of what Brexit means: inflicting most harm on those he cares about most. If only those on the opposite benches were on the same reality-check journey.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/23/jeremy-corbyn-brexit-tories-labour-eu

Are Labour starting the U turn?

Whether they have started a(nother?) U turn or not they have certainly picked up the EU / Varadkar line, evidenced by Corbyn's question at PMQ's yesterday.

He got an uncharacteristically clear answer from Theresa May which is what I was referring to in my posts above.
    The Prime Minister

First, I am glad that the right hon. Gentleman has welcomed the new Lady Usher of the Black Rod. I hope it will not be 650 years until the Labour party has a female leader. He also referred to the attack that has taken place in eastern Nigeria. Of course, I am sure that the thoughts and condolences of the whole House are with those who have been affected.

The right hon. Gentleman asked me to outline our policy in relation to the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. I am very happy to do so; I have done so on a number of occasions. We are very clear that in relation to the movement of people, the common travel area will continue to operate, as it has done since 1923. On trade, and the movement of goods and services across the border, we will not see the introduction of a hard border. We have been very clear that we will not put physical infrastructure at the border.

If you heard or saw the debate you will not have failed to notice the emphasis on the word "we" which I have emboldened above.

If you heard or saw the debate you will not have failed to notice the emphasis on the word "we" which I have emboldened above.

The trouble is the British government are claiming they can Square the circle but won't give their working out.

Quite rightly the EU don't believe them

• Advertisement

Whether they have started a(nother?) U turn or not they have certainly picked up the EU / Varadkar line, evidenced by Corbyn's question at PMQ's yesterday.

He got an uncharacteristically clear answer from Theresa May which is what I was referring to in my posts above.

... Yet at the same time 'Her' 'We' red lines are calling for it to be imposed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

res?src=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FDPRewueW4AAP1-W.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

UK wanted to have city named European City of Culture in 2023, what are they smoking over there in Downing Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I think that's the key point here and clearly that is what the UK will need to achieve with its soft / electronic border at the frontier itself. I'm fairly confident that they can do this to the satisfaction of the WTO and still put no hardware at the border. It is less likely that Ireland and the EU can achieve the same from our side.
    That's still only vapourware at this time, so the DExEU better get to draft that tech specification quick-smart. There's about a week left to submit it. Tic-toc-tic-toc-<...>
    Clearly it serves our purposes qua EU members to paint the UK negotiators as utterly confused and chaotic. That picture has been built up since before the start of the talks and the Tories are doing a great job of playing into our hands. However.. That picture of chaos only really helps the EU if it leads to a Corbyn govt. + A really EU friendly fudge.. basically a Brexit which doesn't mean Brexit.

Which is presumably why we here and many of the hardened remainers in the UK keep rehearsing the Brexit arguments ad nauseam.

The trouble is we misjduge.. IMO the degree to which economics, immigration and the rest define the referendum. They were important but perhaps they were not overriding. In the end the UK prize sovereignty perhaps even more than prosperity (they would hardly be the first.. And sovereignty is not in this sense a relative or shareable concept).. and there is a deep seated mistrust of the EU, it's politicians and it's mechanisms. In my opinion those two factors carried the vote and our behaviour and that of the EU throughout the talks absolutely justifies and bears out those concerns. We are behaving.. for perfectly sound tactical and political reasons.. like the technocratic Empire the UK so instinctively detests.

There is no pretty outcome to this problem, particularly for Ireland, and as much as we might lay the blame at Britain's door we must recognise the real roots of their decision lie with the EU and it's genesis as much as anywhere else.
    It is your prerogative to recognise those factors as roots of the voting decision if you wish. And it is also your prerogative to claim these roots to be "the real" roots. But that does not make you right: just opinionated ;)

As for me, these real roots of the decision lie at least in part in 4 decades' worth of misinformation of the British public about the nature, workings and purpose of the EU -at a very fundamental level- and about 2 decades' worth of economical growth-led policymaking and spectacularly-wasteful immigration/ID systems failures by successive British governments.

Other such roots which I hold to be 'real' (related to the component of misinformation above), also include the woeful state educational system here, and its consistent mismanagement by successive interfering governments for the past decade at least; and the mass-cretinisation of a sizeable portion of the British electorate (and others-, but British here in context) through their mass-adoption of easily-manipulable social media.

By way of example, the British were free at all times to implement all sorts of restrictive covenants about EU immigrants to curb those very factors that influenced the vote insofar as immigration and the alleged wage suppressing topics are concerned. Now, how much of the British electorate knew that whether pre-referendum, or is even aware of it now? You can bet it's not 52%, or even 48%.

And you would want the EU27 to 'recognise' (as in 'respect', no doubt) this state of affairs? Condone the British public's mushrooming about the EU?

Come off it :rolleyes:
    And we - of all the nations- can hardly blame the British for voting with their hearts rather than their heads.
    There is no blame to be apportioned for the voting, particularly since it could have been left to its intended purpose of informing policy making in the national interest.

The only blame to be apportioned is in respect of the consequences of that voting, that are wholly down to the political exploitation of that voting since the referendum.

And in that respect, again there is none other than the British -specifically, the Tory party and its media machine- to blame.

If the UK wants to stand on its own in the big wide world, it needs to learn that adulting is hard and begins with assuming one's own responsibilities. Welcome to the grown-ups league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

flaneur wrote: »
    I think the simplest solution for the Northern border in the short to medium term is probably to sue the UK for economic damage caused to Donegal and the border counties.

It’s not unreasonable that they would pay some considerable contribution towards cleaning up the mess they’re creating, by ensuring Donegal in particular is not left isolated.

A major contribution towards perhaps a road upgrade from Donegal and also the other border regions impacted would be a fairly reasonable thing to include in the divorce bill.

Also I would assume some kind of Brexit compensation package would need to be put in place for companies that have their businesses profoundly impacted.

Maybe €2-3 billion Euro.

Also, a major investment package for Northern Ireland.

I think the notion they can just cause absolute complete mayhem for these regions and then walk away is insanity.

They’re walking away from commitments, undermining people's businesses, regional economics and all sorts of risks are being created for a fragile and very recent peace process. I think the very least they could do is ensure that the resources are put in place to deal with the fallout of that political decision.

I have no doubts they'll storm off claiming they don't owe anyone anything and they're free to so whatever they like, but it makes the UK look like a bunch of untrustworthy, backstabbers that will rip up any agreement they sign. They also look completely incompetent. I think they've done huge damage to their own reputation.

The notion that Ireland might be better off following them is crazy too. What would we end up with?
    Outside the EU and utterly dependent on a country that is currently run by a bunch of tabloid newspapers and has demonstrated absolutely no interest being a reasonable trading partner.

If we did leave, how long would it be before they are moaning about Irish FDI or something else and throwing us to the wolves?

As we are clearly going to stand out ground on Irish interests in the coming months, I think you can brace yourself for an avalanche or tabloid paddywhacky, the likes or which haven't seen in decades.

This is a significant point and I completely agree. The Sun article was just an indication of what's to come.

Not only do we need to worry about old divisions and problems... but we need to consider how this is creating new disputes too.

The English seem to think Ireland is like their little brother who will follow them or do as they are told. They are badly underestimating our resolve.

It has plenty of money. It could sell some assets, raise tax etc.

Why should we care about UK internal financial matters? They clearly don't currently give a hoot about ours.

What it did internally with Scotland and Wales or the North of England is a matter for UK domestic politics.

This is effectively ripping up international trade and other agreements.

If they left the political aspects of the EU and stayed in the customs union, fair enough. But no, they're also ripping up the trade agreements and causing economic chaos both for themselves and their neighbours.

Brexit isn't cost free, particularly if you're going to just burn all your trade agreements and links with neighbouring countries.

Cake & eat it seems to be the aim here.
    It'll be one of those cheap and nasty cakes by the looks of it.

I've very little sympathy for what us just a jingoistic, illogical move where all pragmatism, sense and neighbourly good will is being very deliberately thrown away.

It's the arrogance of it all.

ambro25 wrote: »
    That's still only vapourware at this time, so the DExEU better get to draft that tech specification quick-smart. There's about a week left to submit it. Tic-toc-tic-toc-<...>
    It is your prerogative to recognise those factors as roots of the voting decision if you wish.

And it is also your prerogative to claim these roots to be "the real" roots.

But that does not make you right: just opinionated ;)

As for me, these real roots of the decision lie at least in part in 4 decades' worth of misinformation of the British public about the nature, workings and purpose of the EU -at a very fundamental level- and about 2 decades' worth of, in equal terms, economical growth-led (let all EU types come hither, the more the merrier) and spectacularly-wasteful (all immigration systems and other ID card projects/implementations fiascos) policymaking by successive British governments.

By way of example, the British were free at all times to implement all sorts of restrictive covenants about EU immigrants to curb those very factors that influenced the vote insofar as immigration and the alleged wage suppressing topics are concerned, and which you are now asking EU27 to 'respect' somehow (:rolleyes:). How much of the British electorate knew, whether pre-referendum or even now, that this was the case?

Other such roots which I hold to be 'real' (related to the component of misinformation above), also include the woeful state educational system here, and its consistent mismanagement by successive interfering governments for the past decade at least; and the mass-cretinisation of a sizeable portion of the British electorate (and others-, but British here in context) through their mass-adoption of easily-manipulable social media.
    There is no blame to be apportioned for the voting, particularly since it could have been left to its intended purpose of informing policy making in the national interest.

The only blame to be apportioned is in respect of the consequences of that voting, that are wholly down to the political exploitation of that voting since the referendum.

And in that respect, again there is none other than the British -specifically, the Tory party and its media machine- to blame.

If the UK wants to stand on its own in the big wide world, it needs to learn that adulting is hard and begins with assuming one's own responsibilities. Welcome to the grown ups league.

I think I made it pretty clear that it was only my opinion, and that perhaps we sometimes were too quick to fall into "blame the brexiteers, blame the Tories, blame the Tory press" mode. Cameron went to Europe to get a deal on immigration and he hardly had an interest in talking it down but still he lost the vote.

I think the thread which runs through the whole problem is the differing view of sovereignty and I think it's notable that it is an issue the EU fudges again and again, referring - for example - to "competence" instead. Whilst we are quick to blame the British press for being anti Europe we don't appear to question our own press which is much more unified and notably uncritical of EU diktat and dogma.

The fundamental issue of sovereignty is going to remain a running sore in the EU even, perhaps more, with the newly reinvigorated core. If one starts with the reasonable proposition that sovereignty and de facto tax raising powers are indivisible then it's going to be a question which troubles Ireland over the coming years perhaps even more than Brexit does.

I don't think it's wrong to try and understand the role that conflicting views of the role of the nation state have in terms of Brexit - actually I think it's central to making objective decisions about our own place in the world and that of our children. What disturbs me is the slightly nervous shrill tone of debate in Ireland over Brexit - it would pay us perhaps to be more thoughtful and even handed in our assessment. But that's only my view, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

steddyeddy wrote: »
    EU cancels Britain's hosting of European capital of culture. It's nice to see the EU treating Brexit as Brexit.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-european-capital-of-culture-uk-cancelled-leeds-eu-banned-a8071261.html%3famp

They should probably rename it then if it's not actually Euoprean, "EEA capital of culture" perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭subpar

This Brexit nonsense has gone on long enough. The amount of time , energy and money that Europe and the UK are putting into a process that is clearly going nowhere is such as waste given the pressing economic and social issues across the entire continent which need addressing.

A fundamental rule of good politics is don't do anything that will worsen or restrict the everyday activity of citizens or business. No matter what outcome emerges from the Brexit negotiations there will be no winners. If this process continues the way its going then Europe as a whole is going to sleepwalk into a social and economic backwater that will take a generation to recover from.

The majority of people across Europe want Britain to remain in the E.U. and a lot of people in Britain who voted to leave did so for different reasons and probably never envisaged how difficult and damaging the withdrawal would be for their nation.

Real leadership is required to solve this issue and it should initially come from Europe rather than Britain. Why can't Europe come straight out and say the following.

1. We dont want Britain to leave.
    2. What changes would Britain like to see come about in how the E.U. works in order to stay a member. ( many other E.U. members are looking for the same sort of changes)

The E.U. needs a root and branch overhaul and Britain has a lot to offer in reshaping an E.U. for the 21st Century

c_man wrote: »
    They should probably rename it then if it's not actually Euoprean, "EEA capital of culture" perhaps?

I thought Britain were leaving Europe, so why would they want to be European City of Culture, or to benefit from EU funds?

• Advertisement

I thought Britain were leaving Europe, so why would they want to be European City of Culture, or to benefit from EU funds?

Europe is the EU now?! I dunno why they'd want it, just commenting on the fact which I wasn't aware of until now, that not all European cities are eligible to be "European Capital of Culture". It's fundamentally misnamed. And we give out to the yanks about the World Series.

I think I made it pretty clear that it was only my opinion, and that perhaps we sometimes were too quick to fall into "blame the brexiteers, blame the Tories, blame the Tory press" mode. Cameron went to Europe to get a deal on immigration and he hardly had an interest in talking it down but still he lost the vote.

I think the thread which runs through the whole problem is the differing view of sovereignty and I think it's notable that it is an issue the EU fudges again and again, referring - for example - to "competence" instead. Whilst we are quick to blame the British press for being anti Europe we don't appear to question our own press which is much more unified and notably uncritical of EU diktat and dogma.

The fundamental issue of sovereignty is going to remain a running sore in the EU even, perhaps more, with the newly reinvigorated core. If one starts with the reasonable proposition that sovereignty and de facto tax raising powers are indivisible then it's going to be a question which troubles Ireland over the coming years perhaps even more than Brexit does.

I don't think it's wrong to try and understand the role that conflicting views of the role of the nation state have in terms of Brexit - actually I think it's central to making objective decisions about our own place in the world and that of our children. What disturbs me is the slightly nervous shrill tone of debate in Ireland over Brexit - it would pay us perhaps to be more thoughtful and even handed in our assessment. But that's only my view, apparently.

Just like Solo has been asked time and time again.

Can you give examples specific ones of how the UKs 'Sovereignty' is impacted by Brussels. How their 'Sovereignty' will improve after brexit is over. And what specific actions they will take outside of the controls they have today which they have not implemented at all to kerb illegal immigration.

Specific ones, and not the wishy washy feely sovereignty feels like 'x' to me as an individual.

Bit of cold hard facts if you will

subpar wrote: »

1. We dont want Britain to leave.
    2. What changes would Britain like to see come about in how the E.U. works in order to stay a member. ( many other E.U. members are looking for the same sort of changes)

The E.U. needs a root and branch overhaul and Britain has a lot to offer in reshaping an E.U. for the 21st Century

Britain has demonstrably nothing to offer right now. What they want, have previously demanded and got is special treatment.

I am not interested in giving them what they want to stay now. The UK internally needs serious reform. Maybe they need to start there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭flatty

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I think the simplest solution for the Northern border in the short to medium term is probably to sue the UK for economic damage caused to Donegal and the border counties.

It’s not unreasonable that they would pay some considerable contribution towards cleaning up the mess they’re creating, by ensuring Donegal in particular is not left isolated.

A major contribution towards perhaps a road upgrade from Donegal and also the other border regions impacted would be a fairly reasonable thing to include in the divorce bill.

Also I would assume some kind of Brexit compensation package would need to be put in place for companies that have their businesses profoundly impacted.

Maybe €2-3 billion Euro.

Also, a major investment package for Northern Ireland.

I think the notion they can just cause absolute complete mayhem for these regions and then walk away is insanity.

They’re walking away from commitments, undermining people's businesses, regional economics and all sorts of risks are being created for a fragile and very recent peace process. I think the very least they could do is ensure that the resources are put in place to deal with the fallout of that political decision.

I have no doubts they'll storm off claiming they don't owe anyone anything and they're free to so whatever they like, but it makes the UK look like a bunch of untrustworthy, backstabbers that will rip up any agreement they sign. They also look completely incompetent. I think they've done huge damage to their own reputation.

The notion that Ireland might be better off following them is crazy too. What would we end up with?
    Outside the EU and utterly dependent on a country that is currently run by a bunch of tabloid newspapers and has demonstrated absolutely no interest being a reasonable trading partner.

If we did leave, how long would it be before they are moaning about Irish FDI or something else and throwing us to the wolves?

As we are clearly going to stand out ground on Irish interests in the coming months, I think you can brace yourself for an avalanche or tabloid paddywhacky, the likes or which haven't seen in decades.

This is a significant point and I completely agree. The Sun article was just an indication of what's to come.

Not only do we need to worry about old divisions and problems... but we need to consider how this is creating new disputes too.

The English seem to think Ireland is like their little brother who will follow them or do as they are told. They are badly underestimating our resolve.
    I disagree really. The average English person thinks of Ireland as a nice place to go on holiday, and has a vague yearning to live there. As a paddy in England, I encounter this over and over again.
    The average English person is too busy keeping the head down and paying the bills to even think about the northern Irish problem, and would, I suspect, be rightly horrified.
    The average cabinet member, I'd agree absolutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Europe is the EU now?! I dunno why they'd want it, just commenting on the fact which I wasn't aware of until now, that not all European cities are eligible to be "European Capital of Culture". It's fundamentally misnamed. And we give out to the yanks about the World Series.

Yep, that is the important thing to focus on at this moment. :rolleyes:

Nate

Yep, that is the important thing to focus on at this moment. :rolleyes:

Nate

Sorry for commenting on something which other posters were talking about. Didn't want to ruin the big laugh on it.

Boo, Brexit etc! - Is that more along the lines you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

subpar wrote: »
    If this process continues the way its going then Europe as a whole is going to sleepwalk into a social and economic backwater that will take a generation to recover from.

The only people heading for a backwater that is going to take a generation to escape are the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Sorry for commenting on something which other posters were talking about. Didn't want to ruin the big laugh on it.

Boo, Brexit etc! - Is that more along the lines you want?

Various UK cities have held the position over the decades, and it was London's own interpretation of the referendum result that made them decide to leave the EEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

The Spectator respond by thinking Varadkar has bitten off more than he can chew, and that the proposal goes against Tory principles:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/11/the-irish-stance-against-brexit-is-a-dangerous-gamble/

Thanks for the link to that vile publication. It led me, via seeing a link to another of their 'articles' to this website

https://stopfundinghate.org.uk/

Loved the John Lewis video on there.

• Advertisement

That you did, but I'm not sure how the end sentence follows from the earlier ones: I think it's telling that the EU is very seriously contemplating the 2-speed model (more vs less integration) amongst the EU27, right this minute.

As I remember posting back in Feb 2016, whether here or on another forum, Cameron with his negotations had successfully positioned the UK to exit the integrating model of the EU, whereby the UK could have been the heavyweight of the diverging group of less-integrating members (with a high probability of including the Nehtherlands, Poland, Denmark, <...>), mirroring Germany's position for the more-integrating members (including France, Italy, Spain, <...>), and all without leaving the EU and imperilling its socio-economic situation and growth. That was the smart political play.

But well, Cameron's win (and yes, it was a win) wasn't the slam-dunk of victorious exceptionalism, which UKIP and other assorted Eurosceptics had vociferously whipped the population about around the time.

So we are where we are, the obscurantists and snake oil merchants still have the helm. Stay on that boat at your own risk, and your mileage will vary ;)

The issue of sovereignty is not a sore point in the EU in the least [EDIT: insofar as current aspects of pooled sovereignty are concerned]: many, if not most electorates (and certainly the case amongst the EU14 - excluding the UK obviously) are fully aware of how the EU works, how aspects of sovereignty are pooled for mutual benefits (if not in practice sometimes, then certainly by intent at all times), and of the fact that Member States remain wholly sovereign across all non-delegated matters. Well, as sovereign as their other multifarious bilateral and multilateral treaty obligations (WTO, NATO, ECHR, <...>) allow them to be, that is (funny that, I haven't seem many further referenda mooted about these other sovereignty-stealing treaties ;)).

In France and Belgium at least, it's been standard history and geography curriculum subject-matter for decades, and across the tuition years according to the conceptual/technical difficulty of the principles to teach (what the TEU is and how it came about isn't taught in Year 1, put it that way...but it is taught indeed). Going by my Yr 9 kid's curriculum, I can't exactly say the same for the UK.

Besides that, voting polls through the ages attest to the above: the fellow EU27 "Leavers" hardly amount to a roaring electoral success, GFC, mass refugee crises and Brexit notwithstanding.

Let's not have this "sovereignty" guff in here again, please. Especially not in the context posited by a country wherein Parliament was so gutless as to have to rely on the initiative and funds of a private citizen, to issue court proceedings for clarifying something as constitutionally fundamental as 'sovereignty'. It really demeans the poor soul who brings it up again.

Don't mistake me though: I hear your argument about the potential for discord in pooling further sovereign prerogatives of those member states seeking further integration. But this is a completely moot topic when discussing Brexit, since these will be of no concern to the UK howsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

steddyeddy wrote: »
    EU cancels Britain's hosting of European capital of culture. It's nice to see the EU treating Brexit as Brexit.

Unionist MEP and fervent Brexiter Dianne Dodds was on Talk Back this afternoon crying foul about the fact that Derry and Belfast are no longer eligible for ECC. It's really bizarre - like they're living in alternate universe where they get keep every EU benefit while simultaneously moaning about being in it and eagerly wanting out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Unionist MEP and fervent Brexiter Dianne Dodds was on Talk Back this afternoon crying foul about the fact that Derry and Belfast are no longer eligible for ECC. It's really bizarre - like they're living in alternate universe where they get keep every EU benefit while simultaneously moaning about being in it and eagerly wanting out.

The EU could still have awarded the ECC to a British city after Brexit. It doesn't have to be awarded to a member of the EU. Which makes the decision all the more pointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The EU could still have awarded the ECC to a British city after Brexit.

Depending on the what the final arrangements were or because it's not dependent on politics, rather geography?

Depending on the what the final arrangements were or because it's not dependent on politics, rather geography?

Dunno TBH. I read the report in the Independent this morning and it said this:

Britain will not be allowed to host the European Capital of Culture as planned in 2023 after Brexit, despite the scheme being open to countries that aren’t in the EU, Brussels has said.

But the Guardian now says this:

The European commission said it would not be possible because only countries that were in the EU, the European Economic Area or in the process of becoming members were eligible for inclusion.

So it looks like politics disguised as protocol.

The EU could still have awarded the ECC to a British city after Brexit. It doesn't have to be awarded to a member of the EU. Which makes the decision all the more pointed.
    It could?

That's not my reading of Article 3 of Decision No 445/2014/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 April 2014 establishing a Union action for the European Capitals of Culture for the years 2020 to 2033 and repealing Decision No 1622/2006/EC ;)

What you are seeing with this, is the EU applying EU law, very simply so (and, accessorily, demonstrating with a practical example how Brexit works as a legal process, and why the UK won't ever "have its cake and eating it" by reason of same).

EU regulation 445/2014/EU: only Member States (-of the EEA) and candidates to accession, can participate in hosting city of culture events.

Brexit is scheduled to occur on 29 March 2019, at the latest by end 2021 in case of extension-transition (which still looks as doubtful as ever).

By 2023, the year in which the UK hosting was to take place according to the Schedule, the UK will be neither a 'Member State', nor a 'candidate'. The inevitability of the above dates notwithstanding, so says the UK's Prime Minister and her government.

So by 2023, the UK will not meet not the legal requirements of EU regulation 445/2014/EU, and so be unable to do that hosting irrespective.

It therefore makes sense to exclude the UK from the bidding process now, to avoid redundant administration of its bids until 2019/2021 (at which time they'd be binned anyway - because the above).

This is the exact same reason why UK bidders are increasingly finding themselves kicked out of EU bidding processes for this, that and the other EU and EU27 market, research, grant <etc.>

Naturally, should the UK change its mind about the EEA, I'm confident enough that the situation could be reversed.

• Advertisement

It could?

That's not my reading of Article 3 of Decision No 445/2014/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 April 2014 establishing a Union action for the European Capitals of Culture for the years 2020 to 2033 and repealing Decision No 1622/2006/EC ;)

What you are seeing with this, is the EU applying EU law, very simply so (and, accessorily, demonstrating with a practical example how Brexit works as a legal process, and why the UK won't ever "have its cake and eating it" by reason of same).

EU regulation 445/2014/EU: only Member States (-of the EEA) and candidates can participate in hosting city of culture events.

Brexit is scheduled to occur on 29 March 2019, at the latest by end 2021 in case of extension-transition (which still looks as doubtful as ever).

By 2023, the year in which the UK hosting was to take place according to the Schedule, the UK will be neither a 'Member State', nor a 'candidate'. The inevitability of the above dates notwithstanding, so says the UK's Prime Minster and her government.

So by 2023, the UK will not meet not the legal requirements of EU regulation 445/2014/EU, and so be unable to do that hosting irrespective.

It therefore makes sense to exclude the UK from the bidding process now, to avoid redundant administration of its bids until 2019/2021 (at which time they'd be binned anyway - because the above).

This is the exact same reason why UK bidders are increasingly finding themselves kicked out of EU bidding processes for this, that and the other EU and EU27 market, research, grant <etc.>

Naturally, should the UK change its mind about the EEA, I'm confident enough that the situation could be reversed.

^^^ That's exactly what I meant to say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

But there's the thing. Not nearly enough people tried to understand Brexit. This isn't something unique to the British or Brexit voters by any stretch of course but people just found something that resonated with them on sovereignty, wages, immigration, more NHS money and then started shouting "Liberal Elite!" upon hearing any criticism.

As Europhilic as I am, I think it is a pretty terrible idea for the EU to not be closely scrutinised. Sovereignty is important but the manner in which it was presented in the debate was at best skewed and at worst disingenuous. The EU was made out to be some sort of tyrant barking orders at poor, little England over such important things as vacuum cleaner power and the shapes of bananas when a partnership is what exists in real life between 28, soon to be 27 nations. Most people are aware of this but it's always been something of a hangup here. That twinned with economic stagnation and an abysmal remain campaign sadly made Brexit all but unavoidable.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

But there's the thing. Not nearly enough people tried to understand Brexit. This isn't something unique to the British or Brexit voters by any stretch of course but people just found something that resonated with them on sovereignty, wages, immigration, more NHS money and then started shouting "Liberal Elite!" upon hearing any criticism.

As Europhilic as I am, I think it is a pretty terrible idea for the EU to not be closely scrutinised. Sovereignty is important but the manner in which it was presented in the debate was at best skewed and at worst disingenuous. The EU was made out to be some sort of tyrant barking orders at poor, little England over such important things as vacuum cleaner power and the shapes of bananas when a partnership is what exists in real life between 28, soon to be 27 nations. Most people are aware of this but it's always been something of a hangup here. That twinned with economic stagnation and an abysmal remain campaign sadly made Brexit all but unavoidable.

It isn't a new thing that people failed to understand a significant EU issue.

We had it here with the Nice Treaty etc. People didn't understand the implications and voted no. Once the full implications were explained and understood rather than just explained, people changed their mind and voted yes.

The UK population still doesn't understand what Brexit means. The anti-EU sentiment is so deeply engrained (see Solo's posts) that it may well take an economic shock to make then understand.

blanch152 wrote: »
    <...>

The UK population still doesn't understand what Brexit means. The anti-EU sentiment is so deeply engrained (see Solo's posts) that it may well take an economic shock to make then understand.
    Not too early with the socking paddles, please: I have a house and a couple cars to sell first :D

TBH, after the ONS' growth forecast revision and Hammond's budget yesterday (all solely hinged upon the effect of a vote and its management to do date, not Brexit...about the eventual colour of which there is still no inkling), I've never been more certain that an economic shock is already under way, but is still only building up.

If negotiations do not proceed onto Stage 2 in December, then it's only going to stay a slow burner until around mid-2018.

After that period, I'd expect the mass implementation of contingency plans by the private sector begun in late December 17/Jan 18 to catch-up with quarterly stats and the media, with capital flight running and amplifying in parallel.

Let's hope not (I'd get murdered when repatriating the £ house sales proceeds into €s :pac:). But them's my tea leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

If there's this much of a kerfuffle over the the European Capital of Culture, I can't imagine how much of a fuss there's going to be when the rural communities realise that there will suddenly be no CAP payments.

The anti-EU sentiment in the UK (and really more so in England) has been largely created by an endless barrage of tabloid stories that blame the EU on absolutely everything and used it as object to poke fun at for the last 30+ years.

I have tried on several occasions to have a rational discussion with friends of mine in England about the EU and really there's just no point. It all boils down to just an irrational, emotional and totally illogical dislike of the idea of being 'told what to do'.

They don't seem to comprehend that the UK played a fairly pivotal role in shaping many EU policies. Why do you think it's so pro-market and trade? Many of those ideals came from the UK in the 70s and 80s. Had it followed a more French model, it would be quite heavily protectionist.

Also, had the UK media, public and political world engaged more heavily with the EU, they could have had a far more influential role in its direction. Instead, they sat on the sidelines hurling abuse like a bunch of football hooligans and now they're storming off in a huff.

Sadly, I don't think the situation is resolvable without the UK leaving the EU and staying out of it for a long time. Maybe they could seek membership again in 20 or 30 years, when they've climbed down off their high horse. However, until then I think they're just going to risk destabilising the entire EU.

If Brexit gets derailed now, what happens?
    They stay in as a begrudging member?

You'd just have Brexit 2.0 in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Sadly, as the disaster unfolds, Brexiteers and the entire British press up to and including the BBC will blame the EU, and the anti-EU sentiment will turn to outright hatred and paranoia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Not too early with the socking paddles, please: I have a house and a couple cars to sell first :D

TBH, after the ONS' growth forecast revision and Hammond's budget yesterday (all solely hinged upon the effect of a vote and its management to do date, not Brexit...about the eventual colour of which there is still no inkling), I've never been more certain that an economic shock is already under way, but is still only building up.

If negotiations do not proceed onto Stage 2 in December, then it's only going to stay a slow burner until around mid-2018.

After that period, I'd expect the mass implementation of contingency plans by the private sector begun in late December 17/Jan 18 to catch-up with quarterly stats and the media, with capital flight running and amplifying in parallel.

Let's hope not (I'd get murdered when repatriating the £ house sales proceeds into €s :pac:). But them's my tea leaves.

I'd fire sale those cars and houses asap, ambro, I have an interest in both industries and I can see the parallels to before our crash already in the uk, first denial in the market then slow down , then a slight fall , and then the collapse in values when it's too late to sell .
    Afterwards everyone says I should've sold sooner .

For moderation purposes the above comments are directly and totally about the effects of Brexit , in the real market.

I am just wondering about the implications for the Republic of Ireland on a few technical areas.

1. Cars: What happens if the UK deviates significantly from EU safety or emissions standards on cars? We are the only other market in the EU of any significant scale that uses right-hand-drive vehicles. Would we end up having a huge spike in car prices, or having a situation where we had to get a derogation from EU laws on these things or how would it work?

There's a potential problem where we might not be able to source right-hand-drive cars that are built to EU technical specifications.

2. Electrical standards. We have a minor issue with appliances here being required to be sold with a UK plug.

I know there's no technical difference between EU appliances, but if the UK were to go off into its own standards and start say importing a lot of things from China that didn't comply with CE regulations, or something like that, how would we deal with it? I assume we'd be back to the days of appliances arriving with continental plugs and having to snip them off?

There are similar issues with other UK-centric standards here.

Or, would we just adopt continental CEE standards for this and switch back to the German-type sockets we used in the 60s?

It would seem to make sense to do so and just perhaps implement a strict Irish standard on the quality of adaptors as we'll be needing them for a while.

We have adopted a few very odd British standards that are far from international / EU norms in a few areas like this.

It just strikes me as a risk of big price inflation if distributors just continue to treat us as a subset of the UK market for these kinds of things.
    Are retailers and distribution chains really going to switch to the continent, or will we just get shafted with the tariffs and they'll just keep treating us as "UK and Ireland"

Also, a lot of British suppliers have rights to distribute for "UK and Ireland" markets. Will that be scrapped because of a change to tariff barriers? Or, will we end up being shafted on that too and having to pay import tariffs on goods that should be tariff free?

I just see a lot of potential problems with companies just seeing Ireland as an 'extra cost' and not really modifying distribution chains. Also a lot of Irish consumers are likely to be very slow to switch to alternative products if they do become available. Familiar brands from the UK may just end up more expensive. We're fairly uniquely exposed tbh.

Bigus wrote: »
    I'd fire sale those cars and houses asap, ambro, I have an interest in both industries and I can see the parallels to before our crash already in the uk, first denial in the market then slow down , then a slight fall , and then the collapse in values when it's too late to sell .
    Afterwards everyone says I should've sold sooner .

For moderation purposes the above comments are directly and totally about the effects of Brexit , in the real market.

The other issue would be with getting capital out of the UK after Brexit.
    If you sell a property there post 2019, we have no idea what taxes and tariffs might apply on movement of a large amount of capital out of the UK and back into the Irish / EU system. While they currently don't use the Euro, there's still a free-flow of capital and straight-forward taxation arrangements.

You could go from a situation where it's very easy, to one that's more like selling a house in the US and repatriating the proceeds to Ireland.

There are just so many unknowns and unknown unknowns that it's making the whole thing incredibly unpredictable and difficult / impossible to plan for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭solodeogloria

Good evening!

This sounds like a fair assessment to me. Also fairly pointing to the risks ahead for May.
    Thanks for the link to that vile publication. It led me, via seeing a link to another of their 'articles' to this website

https://stopfundinghate.org.uk/

Loved the John Lewis video on there.

Admittedly I like The Spectator - that might tell you everything I need to know about my personal political views. But I've found it a great little magazine for common sense politics, robust defences of the free market and civil liberties (including freedom of speech). It's a relatively thoughtful magazine.

I find it amazing that professed liberal types think that gagging the media of its funding and preventing the freedom of the press is actually a progressive aim. There was once upon a time when liberals defended the right of others to express opinion but it seems that it is all about restricting opinion. Irrespective of how disagreeable I find a publication I won't participate in a gagging campaign. It simply won't get anywhere.
    It isn't a new thing that people failed to understand a significant EU issue.

We had it here with the Nice Treaty etc. People didn't understand the implications and voted no. Once the full implications were explained and understood rather than just explained, people changed their mind and voted yes.

Goodness me. I don't think I'm anti-EU per se. I'm anti-Britain-being-in-the-EU. The continued success of the EU is something I desire. I feel that the political culture of the UK is at loggerheads with the European project and that the UK is better off out. Now, I think Ireland probably should stay in provided the EU doesn't ravage its position on corporation tax. Remaining in with a sceptical eye rather than blind enthusiasm.

The fact is all we see in the UK is a subdued period of economic growth. This is the price of uncertainty. There's been no apocalypse and I suspect there won't be one.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

I suppose I'm thinking of the Swiss model which clearly satisfies WTO requirements. There are plenty of swiss crossing points without manned infrastructure. Britain already has facilities at the sea ports, and those combined with electronic declarations, trusted traders etc ought to be able to provide a workable solution from the UK side or at least one which satisfies WTO needs?

Is there any objective commentary which suggests this isn't the case?

So your answer is I'm confident the British can implement some sort of solution because the Swiss have some solution which I don't actually understand.

Fine.

That is not good enough as an answer. Particularly when you cast aspersions on the ability of the EU to do something similar.

I feel like the idea was to give a little jolt. Like: 'we are taking this from you. This is just the first of many priviliges you are no longer entitled to'. i.e. get real - please.

Goodness me. I don't think I'm anti-EU per se. I'm anti-Britain-being-in-the-EU.

This intrigues me on so many fronts. It sounds very English for one thing. And yet, you're Irish, and you are very emotionally attached to Britain's position or not in the EU.

What's your view on Ireland's membership of the EU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭solodeogloria

Calina wrote: »
    This intrigues me on so many fronts. It sounds very English for one thing. And yet, you're Irish, and you are very emotionally attached to Britain's position or not in the EU.

What's your view on Ireland's membership of the EU?

Good evening!

Stay in with a sceptical eye. Tell the other countries they aren't willing to give up more control - on taxation in particular.

The narrative that exists in Ireland that the EU is all benevolent needs to end. It isn't anything of the sort. It's a bloc of vying interests. A lot of cooperation is useful for Ireland in particular. Ireland has a good reason to stay in whereas the UK doesn't.

Ensure the right types of control are kept is key. Telling the EU no to more integration is also key.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I feel like the idea was to give a little jolt. Like: 'we are taking this from you. This is just the first of many priviliges you are no longer entitled to'. i.e. get real - please.

I don’t think so.

European Law is basically a civil code system and many of those kinds of programmes are firmly based in legislation. They’re not in the gift of some individual politician.

If the UK can’t comply with the T&Cs required to do something, it just won’t be done.

There’s nothing particularly political about it. It’s just the cogs of a bureaucracy turning.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement