Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

Has anyone suggested any specific deal the UK could get with any country on better conditions than they already enjoy by being in the EU ?
    Well they might get more talented people from India in a deal with them, but that won't go down well with the millions who voted Brexit because the EU was somehow filling the UK with brown people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Imagine Apple or Guinness moving to Larne because they must export from British approved places to the outside world. It's laughable!

It's mentioned in Guardian comments this bizarre statement.

It's also mentioned that this writer apparently supported Brexit.

Go figure.

I think it's a part of a false narrative being pushed in the UK that there's a binary choice between EU or international trade, which makes out that the UK doesn't have access to global markets at all while in the EU.

That bit of "fake news" has become accepted as fact by many in Britian.

A lot of those expressing concern for Ireland would rather see us just jump with the UK and somehow we would all go back to being one happy family like we were throughout imaginary history. The English could go back to running the imaginary version of the empire where everyone joined voluntarily and they all played and danced.

The reality is we would be left with no trade deals. A small, open (vulnerable) economy and would be totally beholden to the UK for market access, without any formal agreement and being totally at the behest of British jingoistic, tabloid driven, irrational politics again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Leroy42 wrote: »
    True, PM, but why is nobody, apart from the likes of Anna Soubry, not calling it out for that it is.

Have a look at these sites: The Mail, The Sun, The Telegraph and The Express. Tory MPs are terrified of these 'newspapers' because they can make or break them at election time.
    Look at some of the media in the UK. They are rabid in their desire to leave. Over the weekend we have the leader of the DUP telling the Taoiseach to mind his own business (despite the fact that that is exactly what he is doing) and the deputy leader calling Leo and Simon Cowboys.

The DUP are just being the DUP. They have some leverage at the moment so they have slipped back into delusional ascendancy mode. They will eventually be told what to think and do once the parliamentary arithmetic changes.
    I agree that the result was unexpected, by all sides, but that doesn't explain the performance since then. What possible good can Liam Fox think he will have by jumping in at this stage? Why are the people in the UK simply accepting this carry on?

It's mind-boggling isn't it? I actually have more respect for Fox than I do for Johnson and May. At least he's driven by ideology however unrealistic that ideology is. The people accept this madness because they have been conditioned by the anti-EU Tory press for decades. Think Pavlov's dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This is unwelcome hysteria. It isn't helpful to anyone.

What I want as an Irish person living in the UK is a good deal. That's what everyone should want.

Bit late to be calling out the hysteria, Farrage and the likes has been pushing that for years.

Can you not see that many in the UK, particularly those in power, are not interested in a good deal for anybody else, and it even appears for themselves, they are only interested in getting Brexit at whatever cost that might be.

Why do you think the Irish will be treated any different to the Europeans. Foreigners are being blamed, the EU is to blame. What do you think will happen when Brexit turns out not to be the utopia that it has been sold as.

Do you think the likes of Boris or Gove will simply accept that they were mistaken or do you think they will look for someone to blame? And that might well be the Irish. Coming over there taking their jobs. People like you in fact. How can you think you will insulated to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Good afternoon!

What I want as an Irish person living in the UK is a good deal. That's what everyone should want.

I won't permit the nonsense that British people somehow want to harm me as an Irish person when there's no evidence at all to suggest this.

The opposite is true. I've been made very welcome here and I've got no doubt that will continue.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

Not quite sure how anyone Irish wouldn't find this part of Fox's comment highly objectionable.
    "We have always had exceptions for Ireland - whether it's in our voting rights, our rights of residence in the UK, we have always accepted a certain asymmetry and that will have to be part of whatever agreement we come to with the European Union but we can't come to a final answer to the Irish question until we get an idea of the end state."

It's at best a patronising pat on the back about what the superior UK has done for us("we've always accepted"). And at worst can quite easily be read as a veiled threat. On my first read I took it as the latter.

First Up wrote: »
    Correct and well justified in that context.

Looking likely too as Arlene is insisting that NI goes down with the ship.

I wanna be a fly on the wall when Arlene goes home to Fermanagh to sell that one given just how much work/trade/family/friend relationships reach across the border daily. :pac:

Arlene is going down on that ship!

I wanna be a fly on the wall when Arlene goes home to Fermanagh to sell that one given just how much work/trade/family/friend relationships reach across the border daily. :pac:

Arlene is going down on that ship!

It will go down brilliant. NI politics is black and white (or green and orange!). DUP supporters will happily go down with the ship once that ship is the HMS UK. The fact that a majority in NI voted to remain shows that DUP couldn't care less about democracy.

It's one thing saying that you will go along with the UK overall vote (all democracies have to run like that) but to be saying that they will go with whatever the UK government decides, no matter the local consequences , is bizarre. (in normal politics I mean, not in the case of NI)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The opposite is true. I've been made very welcome here and I've got no doubt that will continue.

You are also young and lacking in experience. If Ireland uses it's veto, you'll gain a lot of experience of what it truly like to be Irish in the UK, very quickly!

Bit late to be calling out the hysteria, Farrage and the likes has been pushing that for years.

Can you not see that many in the UK, particularly those in power, are not interested in a good deal for anybody else, and it even appears for themselves, they are only interested in getting Brexit at whatever cost that might be.

Why do you think the Irish will be treated any different to the Europeans. Foreigners are being blamed, the EU is to blame. What do you think will happen when Brexit turns out not to be the utopia that it has been sold as.

Do you think the likes of Boris or Gove will simply accept that they were mistaken or do you think they will look for someone to blame? And that might well be the Irish. Coming over there taking their jobs. People like you in fact. How can you think you will insulated to that?

If the economy really does go down the pan, that's where I suspect the UK will flip into a 1970s style angry mess. I don't think it will be blamed on outsiders. I think you'll see the 48%+ who feel they have been screwed over will just get very, very angry.

I would fully expect a Winter of Discontent is coming, probably either 2018 or 2019.

People are totally underestimating the British left which has been largely sleeping for the past 30+ years. You've also got Scottish and even Welsh nationalism which will be ignited and who knows what might happen in Northern Ireland, particularly when CAP money stops flowing (89% of NI farm incomes or so I've read)

flaneur wrote: »
    If the economy really does go down the pan, that's where I suspect the UK will flip into a 1970s style angry mess. I don't think it will be blamed on outsiders. I think you'll see the 48%+ who feel they have been screwed over will just get very, very angry.

I would fully expect a Winter of Discontent is coming, probably either 2018 or 2019.

But for that to happen the very people who are to blame for the mess (certain parts of the media, Farrage, Boris etc) would need to simply accept it and move on.

Why would they do that? Is it not more likely that they will use their positions of power to pick out something else to blame? For the last 40 years each government has blamed the nebulous EU for many issues.

Once they leave, and as it current projections appear to suggest things do not magically improve, then who to blame? EU will be blamed for forcing a bad/no deal on a luckless UK, but that will only last so long. Then it have to be someone else.

• Advertisement

It feels like an awful lot of British people need to realise that their view of these potential trade talks is filled with an unrealistic sense of entitlement. They're leaving and there's a talks process to hopefully make it easier. If they go shafting member states, the trade talks don't happen. They're shafting Ireland by not putting what they've said in writing and this could end their preferential treatment.

They'd do well understand that they're basically a brand-new country since every relationship they have with the world has been through the EU.

It will go down brilliant. NI politics is black and white (or green and orange!). DUP supporters will happily go down with the ship once that ship is the HMS UK.

I dont know about that if it starts to hit the locals hard in the pocket. So much business in Fermanagh goes on across the border and farming (with it EU payments) is also a big local money maker.

It will be different in areas further north.

But for that to happen the very people who are to blame for the mess (certain parts of the media, Farrage, Boris etc) would need to simply accept it and move on.

Why would they do that? Is it not more likely that they will use their positions of power to pick out something else to blame? For the last 40 years each government has blamed the nebulous EU for many issues.

Once they leave, and as it current projections appear to suggest things do not magically improve, then who to blame? EU will be blamed for forcing a bad/no deal on a luckless UK, but that will only last so long. Then it have to be someone else.

That's my point - the UK isn't a homogeneous political environment. I think the country could turn very unstable for a while.

The Scots and probably the NI (including many unionists) will blame the English. Labour will develop amnesia and blame the Tories exclusively and I suspect the Brexiteers will blame everyone else except themselves.

In the medium term they'll probably act like big babies and rant and rave about how it's "so unfair" that the EU won't continue to treat them as if they're still a member state.

The biggest risk is a British credit crunch or banking crisis, a serious currency crisis or something like that which wouldn't have any obvious source of bail out and could result in absolute mayhem and would probably trigger a global financial problem.

I'd also add that while I would say that Corbyn, most of labour and even centrist Tories like John Major have genuine concerns about the impact of Brexit on Ireland, the hardliners see us as nothing but an obstacle in the way of a hard Brexit.

The faux friendliness and concern will rapidly turn to outrage and mockery, as soon as they start to realise we aren't likely to follow them over the cliff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭solodeogloria

Good afternoon!
    Not quite sure how anyone Irish wouldn't find this part of Fox's comment highly objectionable.

I don't find it highly objectionable. He's referring to the special position of Irish people in the UK. He's right to say that this will more than likely continue.

From Googling around it seems like he also said that the nature of the border couldn't be finalised until there's a trade deal. I agree with him on this.
    It's at best a patronising pat on the back about what the superior UK has done for us("we've always accepted"). And at worst can quite easily be read as a veiled threat. On my first read I took it as the latter.

I think that is just jumping prematurely.
    Jim2007 wrote: »
    You are also young and lacking in experience. If Ireland uses it's veto, you'll gain a lot of experience of what it truly like to be Irish in the UK, very quickly!

I don't think 6 and a half years of living in the UK means that I'm "lacking in experience".

If the Irish Government use the veto I will be the first to point out what a monumentally stupid decision that would be. I don't have to agree with Varadkar and Coveney. I've got no doubt that I'll be treated in the same way that I am now. My friends mercifully aren't as fickle as you seem to suggest.

Of course Brexit is going to happen. That's what was settled in 2016. That's reality.

The question is how to progress. I think the UK are willing to come to a positive arrangement and I hope the EU will be.

The special relationship this country has with Ireland predates the EU.

I don't think people see the Irish people in that way. In fact I don't even think many people would use the word "immigrant" to describe me apart from myself. Most people know and understand the closeness between the UK and Ireland. I personally hope that Coveney and Varadkar don't begin to screw that up.

I think my friends and my colleagues will see me in the same light irrespective of the stupid things the Irish Government may be about to do.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

@Solodegloria, that's only true to a point. I've been told in no uncertain terms to both butt out of English political debate (while living in England) and also been told to f - off back to my own country twice by people "up north".

It's all fine and well when you're dealing with the very cosmopolitan London or other urban bubbles. I have English (not Irish émigrés) family in the most conservative parts of Yorkshire and I've been on plenty of nights out in local pubs and I can assure you, we're not considered to be in the same club up there at all.

There's a massive difference between the cosmopolitan cities, the wealthier coastal regions in the south and the brexit heartlands of old working class England.

There is a closeness a bit like the way a divorced couple are close but, I've also lived in France and I've never felt particularly unwelcome there either. Actually in some ways, because there's no history of animosities between the Irish and the French I've actually felt quite "at home" in the West of France. Yeah, there's a language barrier, but once you've traversed that, I didn't really see any issues at all.

Likewise, I've lived in the USA and I have to say that culturally speaking, I felt extremely welcome and fitted in just fine. Obviously there are legal issues around just moving there unless you've a visa but, culturally and interpersonally I felt right a home and I found I could also talk politics with Americans without any issue. The same in France actually too. They're quite happy to critique anything, as long as you're not just being nasty for the sake of slagging them off.

There’s a historical relationship with England and the UK but I wouldn’t over state it either. We are quite capable of having disagreements and mutually opposed policies and that is completely healthy.

I don’t think the majority of UK folks necessarily expect us to just agree with Theresa May. For every person that’s furious with Varadkar, there’s probably someone else who thinks he’s great for sticking it to the Brexiteers! We’re annoying one, narrow aspect of British politics. They’ll get over it.

I don't think people see the Irish people in that way. In fact I don't even think many people would use the word "immigrant" to describe me apart from myself. Most people know and understand the closeness between the UK and Ireland. I personally hope that Coveney and Varadkar don't begin to screw that up.

I think my friends and my colleagues will see me in the same light irrespective of the stupid things the Irish Government may be about to do.

I think they are going to have to get their head around certain facts.
    - We are a separate independent country.
    - We have to look after the interests of our own citizens including those in the north, voters in the shires are not our concern.
    - They have deals with us that they cannot simply decide to walk away from painlessly.
    - Also we are not the enemy, we can be an ally if they could just make up their minds what the hell that they want.

From Googling around it seems like he also said that the nature of the border couldn't be finalised until there's a trade deal. I agree with him on this.

It's farcical to suggest that Northern Ireland and the UK's borders can only be determined by the skills of their negotiating team when dealing with the EU. If "taking back power" means not even being able to make internal decisions about regions and borders, then the British public really have been duped.

Northern Ireland should be out on the streets protesting at its entire future being at the mercy of what England can get from the EU in some trade talks. How they feel any attachment to London is beyond me.. Fox just laid it out that they're pawns.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

That "special relationship" as they call it was a red hot mess from the foundation of the state until the last 20/25 years.

• Advertisement

I don't find it highly objectionable. He's referring to the special position of Irish people in the UK. He's right to say that this will more than likely continue.

Although he is part of a group of people actively looking to break the current relationship! The UK/Ireland relationship is presently pretty good, yet that formed no part in their decision. Why would you think it will form any part of their decisions about any deal?

You don't need google, it has been pointed out by many on here that no such condition exists. The only reading of that is that the border is a negotiable position, UK have no position either way. They will happily give it up to get their overall aim. The opposite is also true. On that basis you need to consider you acceptance of their word.

If the Irish Government use the veto I will be the first to point out what a monumentally stupid decision that would be. I don't have to agree with Varadkar and Coveney. I've got no doubt that I'll be treated in the same way that I am now. My friends mercifully aren't as fickle as you seem to suggest.

So its ok for the UK to threaten to walk away (no deal) but wrong of the Irish to use leverage they have? I bet the Poles, and Romanians etc felt the same way as you as few years ago, not so much anymore. Maybe your friends will continue to be ok, but its the wider society you have to worry about. When you go to the next job interview will you be treated the same as the UK guy going for the job?

Of course Brexit is going to happen. That's what was settled in 2016. That's reality.

Oh wow, we are back to this. Who said it wasn't going to happen? It about how it happens. The UK only voted for Brexit, they gave no indication of what that actually meant. The best that May seems to be able to state is that Brexit means Brexit.
    The question is how to progress. I think the UK are willing to come to a positive arrangement and I hope the EU will be.

Correct, but what does that mean. Positive for who? Because Ireland is being used as a negotiation piece at present. Do you think the EU should be concerned with how this effects the UK or how it effects the EU, because it seems that the UK seems them as mutually exclusive.

So what. It has changed because of the EU. Ireland will no longer be tied directly to the UK, as it was in the past, and based on the current course will be asked which to go with as it cannot have both.

Not much of a special relationship when Ireland is basically being told to wait until the UK gets what it wants before it will even state its position on something that could have a significant impact on Ireland.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

So this is all the Irish fault? Really? UK were a major part of Europe for 40+ years, but that changed last year. Now they want out, apparently regardless of the damage it might do to themselves or others. You do realise that the past is only an indication of what might happen, it doesn't guarantee it. Especially when circumstances change.

I really find your blind faith to Brexit quite confusing. No matter what evidence is put in front of you you seem unwilling to even consider that Brexit is not as great a plan as it was sold. That there are many areas that the government simply has no plan for and that kicking the can to phase 2 is just that. It is not part of some complex plan, Fox et al simply do not know.

Yes it is likely that the Irish will continue to have relationship with the UK, but the logical outcome of the present thinking within the UK that immigration is a massive problem is that at some point all immigrants will be covered. To simply hope that you aren't effect is just that, hope

That "special relationship" as they call it was a red hot mess from the foundation of the state until the last 20/25 years.

And Brexit takes us back to the practicalities of about 1967 and the politics of about 1867.

It’s very frustrating that the last 30 years of rapprochement, all the work done by British and Irish governments, all political parties, the EU, the US under both Clinton and Bush administrations, the Canadians, even Nelson Mandela got involved at one stage is going to be thrown away in a fit of jingosim about an unrelated, but directly impacting issue.

I’d say Mo Mowlam must be spinning in her grave and could be likely to take up haunting No 10 at this stage. The sheer effort and bridge building that went into making that process work was phenomenal and it’s all being potentially flung under the Brexit bus by one of the most divisive, incompetent and irrational governments the UK has ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I would not put it past this bunch of Tories and Brexiteers to start 'punishing' Irish people resident in the UK for the stance of the Irish Government - float the idea in the Tory press about taking away the rights of Irish people in the UK post Brexit
    I wouldn't either. I don't recognise the UK anymore for the place it seems to have become.

Good afternoon!
    Although he is part of a group of people actively looking to break the current relationship! The UK/Ireland relationship is presently pretty good, yet that formed no part in their decision. Why would you think it will form any part of their decisions about any deal?

Any citation for the claim that Liam Fox wants to get rid of the rights Irish people have? By citation I mean a direct quote from him saying he wants them removed.
    You don't need google, it has been pointed out by many on here that no such condition exists. The only reading of that is that the border is a negotiable position, UK have no position either way. They will happily give it up to get their overall aim. The opposite is also true. On that basis you need to consider you acceptance of their word.

No I don't. The Government have been very clear on their stance on the border. You can read the position paper.
    So its ok for the UK to threaten to walk away (no deal) but wrong of the Irish to use leverage they have? I bet the Poles, and Romanians etc felt the same way as you as few years ago, not so much anymore. Maybe your friends will continue to be ok, but its the wider society you have to worry about. When you go to the next job interview will you be treated the same as the UK guy going for the job?

It is monumentally stupid because an internal border won't be agreed to. It's also monumentally stupid because Ireland needs a trade deal with the UK.

I think I'll be treated the exact same way as when I went for an internal interview for a vacancy at my firm this year. They don't discriminate based on nationality. I don't know why you prefer to believe myths over reality.
    Correct, but what does that mean. Positive for who? Because Ireland is being used as a negotiation piece at present. Do you think the EU should be concerned with how this effects the UK or how it effects the EU, because it seems that the UK seems them as mutually exclusive.

The UK have been pretty clear about what they want. A mutually beneficial free trade arrangement with the EU, and security cooperation. This is in the interests of businesses on both sides of the Channel and indeed on both sides of the Irish sea.
    So what. It has changed because of the EU. Ireland will no longer be tied directly to the UK, as it was in the past, and based on the current course will be asked which to go with as it cannot have both.

No it hasn't. Irish citizens had the right to live in the UK long before the EU.
    Not much of a special relationship when Ireland is basically being told to wait until the UK gets what it wants before it will even state its position on something that could have a significant impact on Ireland.

This is a manipulative way of putting it. Borders depend on trade and customs. Borders can't be agreed to be open or closed without discussing this. The EU refuse to talk about it. Therefore it cannot be resolved.
    So this is all the Irish fault? Really? UK were a major part of Europe for 40+ years, but that changed last year. Now they want out, apparently regardless of the damage it might do to themselves or others. You do realise that the past is only an indication of what might happen, it doesn't guarantee it. Especially when circumstances change.

Coveney and Varadkar are being daft. That's different to the Irish are at fault. A group of people are not at fault if their Government chooses to be daft.
    I really find your blind faith to Brexit quite confusing. No matter what evidence is put in front of you you seem unwilling to even consider that Brexit is not as great a plan as it was sold. That there are many areas that the government simply has no plan for and that kicking the can to phase 2 is just that. It is not part of some complex plan, Fox et al simply do not know.

It's not blind faith. The UK will do just fine. However, it is about honouring the vote of the people. It needs to be delivered.
    Yes it is likely that the Irish will continue to have relationship with the UK, but the logical outcome of the present thinking within the UK that immigration is a massive problem is that at some point all immigrants will be covered. To simply hope that you aren't effect is just that, hope

The UK have said there will be no immigration controls and that the CTA will be maintained.

Why are you creating problems that don't exist? The UK sees Irish migration in a wholly different light to migration from the rest of the EU.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Good afternoon!

I won't permit the nonsense that British people somehow want to harm me as an Irish person when there's no evidence at all to suggest this.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria
    Have a read of any comments section on any right leaning British paper where the story mentions Ireland and Brexit. There are plenty of leave voters who want you gone as well.

Oh and any idea what the UK is going to do to replace EASA in a little over a year?

Good afternoon!

The UK have said there will be no immigration controls and that the CTA will be maintained.

THis is what confuses me, this statement is not exactly "taking back control" that was promised in the referendum campaign.

Ireland as a member of the EU has freedom of movement and will continue to do so.

How does the British Government intend to square that circle?

Also regarding customs they say that it will be the EUs fault if controls are put on the border.

Well that depends strongly in which direction the controls are needed, what if goods are being smuggled from south to north rather than north to south.

The irish governments position is realistic in a way that the london governments is not.
    We all know that things will cross that border, its too long and too many crossings and there are plenty of shady people with vast experience of getting things across without interference from police/garda/customs.

This is not appreciated or has been forgotten/deliberately ignored by London.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Has anyone suggested any specific deal the UK could get with any country on better conditions than they already enjoy by being in the EU ?
    Solo for starters has stated it multiple times on this thread as justification of Brexit because EU is somehow holding UK back in the area with China, India etc...
    I agree that the result was unexpected, by all sides, but that doesn't explain the performance since then. What possible good can Liam Fox think he will have by jumping in at this stage? Why are the people in the UK simply accepting this carry on?
    What he, Boris and the rest of the goon squad have been doing for the last years; playing Tory politics with the UK economy and government. He's showing his "strong resolve" to the hardcore Brexiteer faction for the upcoming leadership election.

Good afternoon!

Nobody said that free movement of Irish citizens under the CTA would end during the referendum campaign or now. The Government have been clear they intend for this to continue.

Inventing problems that don't exist isn't helpful. If anyone isn't sure in respect to what is being proposed I'd advise them to read the documents that have been published.

The UK has also been clear that free travel from the EU will continue. Freedom of movement for work without a visa will end. The UK Border Force will enforce this in the same way as it enforces other visa waivers for travel. Deportation will be issued for those who overstay and violate the terms of their visa.

Muddying the waters and saying that the Government haven't been clear when they have stated all these things is dishonest at best.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nobody said that free movement of Irish citizens under the CTA would end during the referendum campaign or now. The Government have been clear they intend for this to continue.

Things said during the referendum campaign aren't worth anything. Look at the £350 million for the NHS pledge.
    Inventing problems that don't exist isn't helpful. If anyone isn't sure in respect to what is being proposed I'd advise them to read the documents that have been published.

I might say the same about pretending that something isn't a problem.
    Muddying the waters and saying that the Government haven't been clear when they have stated all these things is dishonest at best.

It's stated aspirations which are meaningless. It's what deal is signed at the end in 2019, should an accord be reached which matters. Posturing from Westminster isn't helping anything. It's a border that the EU has with a non-EU state, that's the issue. I don't understand why you keep pretending that it isn't or that some paper from Westminster is some sort of panacea.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Good afternoon!

The UK has also been clear that free travel from the EU will continue. Freedom of movement for work without a visa will end. The UK Border Force will enforce this in the same way as it enforces other visa waivers for travel. Deportation will be issued for those who overstay and violate the terms of their visa.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

From what you've written, putting it in writing should be easy. Why are we even discussing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

But how do you think a CTA can continue if you need to check passports/ID documents? That is not the definition of the Common Travel Area, but visa free travel. How does the UK take back control of immigration when it has an open border with the EU?

I fear that question has not been answered because the answer is simple and not one that the UK can give. The CTA will either end, or NI will be part of the customs union or the UK will be part of the single market or customs union. That is the only way you continue the CTA (British aim) and leave the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Imagine Apple or Guinness moving to Larne because they must export from British approved places to the outside world. It's laughable!

Go figure.

Imagine that.

I reckon the UK would have to give them some extra-ordinary tax treatments to make that worthwhile.

Any citation for the claim that Liam Fox wants to get rid of the rights Irish people have? By citation I mean a direct quote from him saying he wants them removed.

Ah ok, so you can only believe it when he says it completely. The fact that he said this morning that it is a negotiable position seems to have alluded you.

No I don't. The Government have been very clear on their stance on the border. You can read the position paper.

Position paper. Really. Is that the same standing as 20bn is too much? What is the position then. I cannot find it. And it seems others can't either as otherwise there would be no discussions to be had.

It is monumentally stupid because an internal border won't be agreed to. It's also monumentally stupid because Ireland needs a trade deal with the UK.

Really? Because, again, the UK have said no such thing. They have said they would prefer it not to be there, but not as much as they want their red lines. If the EU continue on with the insistence that no border required CU membership do you envisage the UK government agreeing?

Yes we need a trade deal with the UK, but I already said that. The UK are clearly aware of that and trying to use Ireland as a bargaining chip. Kind of ruins the special relationship idea. And you are agreeing that the UK are basically threatening Ireland. If we don't side with them we don't get a trade deal, and yet you come on here claiming that the EU are being bullies!
    I think I'll be treated the exact same way as when I went for an internal interview for a vacancy at my firm this year. They don't discriminate based on nationality. I don't know why you prefer to believe myths over reality.

So have you missed the massive rise in attacks in immigrants since the vote. What makes you think you are so special? And perhaps you are well set up, good group of friends, plenty of contacts. But what about your kids, or their friends or the next wave of Irish that come over.

The UK have been pretty clear about what they want. A mutually beneficial free trade arrangement with the EU, and security cooperation. This is in the interests of businesses on both sides of the Channel and indeed on both sides of the Irish sea.

Well they already had that, but didn't like the conditions attached. SO they want to change the conditions. Nothing wrong in that, but if you want to change a deal you need to offer something in return.

No it hasn't. Irish citizens had the right to live in the UK long before the EU.

Ok, you completely missed the point. EU citizens had the same rights which are now being taken away. Apart from the UK loving the Irish, why exactly do you think people like Farrage etc will simply accept a continuing stream of Irish people taking their jobs.

Lets say UK gets a great deal and in the process Ireland loses out. Where is the 1st place young Irish are going to go for work? UK. So instead of all these jobs for British, the Irish take a large portion of them. How do you think that will play out?

This is a manipulative way of putting it. Borders depend on trade and customs. Borders can't be agreed to be open or closed without discussing this. The EU refuse to talk about it. Therefore it cannot be resolved.

Its not manipulative, just a different way that look at it. The UK already agreed this would be phase 1. Just like you are so against going back over the vote, why should EU go back over the agreed process.

UK agreed to this process and should stick to its agreement. If they cannot even stick to an agreement such as this why would you, or anybody, believe anything they say?

Coveney and Varadkar are being daft. That's different to the Irish are at fault. A group of people are not at fault if their Government chooses to be daft.

But the government represents the people. And clearly the likes of Fox etc are blaming the current impasse on the Irish. There is no other way to look at it.

It's not blind faith. The UK will do just fine. However, it is about honouring the vote of the people. It needs to be delivered.

How do you know this?

Why are you creating problems that don't exist? The UK sees Irish migration in a wholly different light to migration from the rest of the EU.

For now yes. I am looking ahead at the logical conclusion of where this is going. As an Irish person in he UK you are an immigrant. You might blend in better than the Indians or whatever, but your situation is the same. You continue to think that you will always to treated as special. You realise that it was not non-EU immigration that was the issue, as the UK had full control over that, but EU immigration. All those EU citizens coming to the UK taking jobs etc. The people voted for that to stop. Ireland is part of the EU.

From what you've written, putting it in writing should be easy. Why are we even discussing it?

Good afternoon!

I agree with your question. Why are people discussing this when it is already the stated position of the British Government.

If your question means why won't the UK guarantee that the border will be open before the EU discuss phase 2. I've explained this. It's because the UK don't want to commit to single market and customs union membership which is what the Irish Government and the EU are trying to force them to do.

There are other options to explore. The UK are clear that they want the border open. It depends on what the EU are willing to discuss.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

How does the British Government intend to square that circle?

The British government don't yet consider the issue being assulym seekers who once they've landed and make a claim must be processed in the UK. They consider the issue being immigration. Esscentially they will allow people enter with relative ease but people will need to prove their eligibility to work and avail of social services. Now how they do that without an national ID card will be interesting but outside the scope of this debate.

Enzokk wrote: »
    But how do you think a CTA can continue if you need to check passports/ID documents? That is not the definition of the Common Travel Area, but visa free travel. How does the UK take back control of immigration when it has an open border with the EU?

I fear that question has not been answered because the answer is simple and not one that the UK can give. The CTA will either end, or NI will be part of the customs union or the UK will be part of the single market or customs union. That is the only way you continue the CTA (British aim) and leave the EU.

I don't think the UK is even slightly concerned about the movement of people across the Irish EU border.

As I keep saying - the movement of people is only really a concern in so far as the benefits, housing, employment systems are involved and that is where it will be controlled, notwithstanding the rhetoric during the referendum campaign. In fact if you read the lecture transcript I posted earlier you will see that EU immigration / movement of people was pretty much an afterthought as recently as 2012-14 in terms of UK tensions with EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I agree with your question. Why are people discussing this when it is already the stated position of the British Government.

You know damn well that AbG was not referring to a UK Govt position paper

Good afternoon!

If your question means why won't the UK guarantee that the border will be open before the EU discuss phase 2. I've explained this. It's because the UK don't want to commit to single market and customs union membership which is what the Irish Government and the EU are trying to force them to do.

There are other options to explore. The UK are clear that they want the border open. It depends on what the EU are willing to discuss.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

I said this a couple of pages ago. Stop being so entitled about a trade agreement. The UK has to meet certain criteria and at the moment, they're falling short. That's not "force". They're free to walk away, the same as the EU.

I also find it weird that in the same post as explaining why the UK can't put it in writing, you ask us to trust that they will follow through with it anyway because it's their stated position. You ask for total trust, for nothing. I really don't understand.

And frankly, it's scumbag politics to use merely following the Good Friday Agreement as a bargaining chip in trade talks. The UK cannot be allowed to put the GFA on the table and say "We will follow this, if London banks gets passporting rights." Believing that's ok shows a lack of morals at best.

For now yes. I am looking ahead at the logical conclusion of where this is going. As an Irish person in he UK you are an immigrant. You might blend in better than the Indians or whatever, but your situation is the same.

I was educated a long time ago, largely in the UK, in an extremely conservative environment. I am about as far as you can get from politically correct and I have genuine reservations about immigration.

But to me your statement above smacks of cheap racism.

kowtow wrote: »
    I was educated a long time ago, largely in the UK, in an extremely conservative environment. I am about as far as you can get from politically correct and I have genuine reservations about immigration.

But to me your statement above smacks of cheap racism.

Fine, but what part of it is wrong? I am not saying it to be provocative, is it not racist to claim that since one is Irish one will be treated differently?

Good afternoon!
    Ah ok, so you can only believe it when he says it completely. The fact that he said this morning that it is a negotiable position seems to have alluded you.

Yes, obviously I only believe someone holds to a position when they themselves say it. Anything else is utterly spurious.
    Position paper. Really. Is that the same standing as 20bn is too much? What is the position then. I cannot find it. And it seems others can't either as otherwise there would be no discussions to be had.

The UK have published a position paper on the border. The honest thing to do here is to say that this is their position unless you've got something to the contrary.
    Really? Because, again, the UK have said no such thing. They have said they would prefer it not to be there, but not as much as they want their red lines. If the EU continue on with the insistence that no border required CU membership do you envisage the UK government agreeing?

What are you talking about? You're replying to my claim that Varadkar and Coveney are being stupid in this part of your post. I'm struggling to see how this is relevant to what I said.
    Yes we need a trade deal with the UK, but I already said that. The UK are clearly aware of that and trying to use Ireland as a bargaining chip. Kind of ruins the special relationship idea. And you are agreeing that the UK are basically threatening Ireland. If we don't side with them we don't get a trade deal, and yet you come on here claiming that the EU are being bullies!

The UK are expressing the simple position that trade and customs need to be addressed before the border is resolved. That's true.

Block discussions and you block a trade deal. I've yet to see how this is anything other than monumentally stupid for Ireland.
    So have you missed the massive rise in attacks in immigrants since the vote. What makes you think you are so special? And perhaps you are well set up, good group of friends, plenty of contacts. But what about your kids, or their friends or the next wave of Irish that come over.

Those attacks are deplorable but I don't think Irish people are seen in the same way due to the special position Ireland has in Britain.

I don't think I'm unsafe here because there's sod all evidence for this position.

As for hypothetical kids (I don't have any) if they were brought up in the UK they would be raised British I suspect.
    Well they already had that, but didn't like the conditions attached. SO they want to change the conditions. Nothing wrong in that, but if you want to change a deal you need to offer something in return.

The UK decided to leave by popular vote in 2016. There were clear downsides to EU membership which I and others highlighted. Now the UK is coming out.

I have zero interest in rehashing the referendum.
    Ok, you completely missed the point. EU citizens had the same rights which are now being taken away. Apart from the UK loving the Irish, why exactly do you think people like Farrage etc will simply accept a continuing stream of Irish people taking their jobs.

My rights are secured under the Republic of Ireland Act, not under the EU primarily. These remain post-Brexit.

I don't know what point there is in engaging in empty fear mongering.
    Lets say UK gets a great deal and in the process Ireland loses out. Where is the 1st place young Irish are going to go for work? UK. So instead of all these jobs for British, the Irish take a large portion of them. How do you think that will play out?

There are anti-discrimination laws in the UK which has one of the most trusted legal systems in the world. I don't know why you're creating such a nonsense scenario for the point of discussion.

I've never had a job interview where I wasn't considered on merit and skills in the UK.
    Its not manipulative, just a different way that look at it. The UK already agreed this would be phase 1. Just like you are so against going back over the vote, why should EU go back over the agreed process. Border have existed long before trade and customs, and borders need not change because of changing rules.

This isn't true. The UK and the EU didn't agree to resolve the border issues completely in phase 1. The UK have made progress on cross border institutions and the CTA in this phase.
    UK agreed to this process and should stick to its agreement. If they cannot even stick to an agreement such as this why would you, or anybody, believe anything they say?

As I've said this isn't true.

In fact there's nothing in this post so far that isn't a fictional scenario. Nothing you've said is based in reality.
    But the government represents the people. And clearly the likes of Fox etc are blaming the current impasse on the Irish. There is no other way to look at it.

He's blaming it in part on the Irish Government. I agree with him. They are being mindblowingly stupid.
    How do you know this?

The UK is a sufficiently big economy to weather even a no deal shock. I personally don't think we'll get there. There'll be a transitional deal with negotiation until 2021 or so.
    For now yes. I am looking ahead at the logical conclusion of where this is going. As an Irish person in he UK you are an immigrant. You might blend in better than the Indians or whatever, but your situation is the same. You continue to think that you will always to treated as special. You realise that it was not non-EU immigration that was the issue, as the UK had full control over that, but EU immigration. All those EU citizens coming to the UK taking jobs etc. The people voted for that to stop. Ireland is part of the EU.

Again. Irish migrants aren't considered the same in Britain. But to be honest this is all tripe. I've not experienced any negative treatment in the UK and there's sod all evidence that I will apart from empty fear mongering. I'm very happy living here. There are lots of opportunities for me and I'm thankful for what God's given me since being here.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

• Advertisement

Are you talking about the UK position paper that was released in August 2017 that is devoid of any details? We are to go with that as our starting point for discussions.

UK Brexit position paper opposes Irish border posts

That paper that is really quite devoid of details, hence why we are asking questions here. The questions are the same as always as the answers that have been provided doesn't offer any clarity.

The UK wants a lot of things as well, it doesn't mean that it is possible to get these things. The UK wants to be in the customs union but wants to arrange their own trade deals. Can we take the UK position not as gospel but as aspirations for the best possible outcome? Because it doesn't seem possible that the UK can get all the things they want to have and leave the EU.

kowtow wrote: »
    I don't think the UK is even slightly concerned about the movement of people across the Irish EU border.

As I keep saying - the movement of people is only really a concern in so far as the benefits, housing, employment systems are involved and that is where it will be controlled, notwithstanding the rhetoric during the referendum campaign. In fact if you read the lecture transcript I posted earlier you will see that EU immigration / movement of people was pretty much an afterthought as recently as 2012-14 in terms of UK tensions with EU.

Sure, but that is not what Nigel Farage was asking for. He was asking for control of their borders and a lot of voters will agree with him.

nigel_f_vndn8u_uvhsxa.jpg

Fine, but what part of it is wrong? I am not saying it to be provocative, is it not racist to claim that since one is Irish one will be treated differently?

Not at all, it's a matter of historical and legal fact.

Irish people have always been absolutely free to go and live in the UK, and vice versa, an arrangement formalised by the CTA in the 1920's but no doubt reflecting the position as it had already been for many years.

Irish people can live, work, vote, and claim pensions in the UK immediately upon arrival there. They do not do so as EU citizens but as Irish citizens - my Mother, as a matter of fact, who is in her nineties, still has her main home there as she has done through most of the last fifty years or more and has never seen the need to change her Irish passport.

Just stop for a moment and consider what our Government's reaction would have been if UK ministers suggested that the Irish Ministers were incompetent, or that our voters had been stupid or ill informed when they voted in the EU referenda, and that they should enter a customs union with the UK in order to protect the Good Friday agreement. Our media would be incandescent at the perceived slight on this country.

When push comes to shove there really are close ties between Ireland and the UK, many families span both and will continue to do so despite the obvious cultural and political differences. A bit of mutual respect and understanding of each other's positions would move us forward a lot quicker than this grandstanding - and that applies to politicians (and voters, and commenters) on both sides of the Irish sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I've got a question for you Solo - something I'm genuinely curious about.

What would be your breaking point? What would need to happen before you would think 'oh, maybe Brexit wasn't such a good idea'?

I know it's happening, and nobody can change it. I've even mentioned in my previous post that the people voted for it, so I hope it does. But I need to know - after all of the bad things and the negativity that have happened, after all the flip-flops from the Tory government, after the DUP getting a say in Westminster (which, as an Irish person you should agree isn't wonderful) - where is your 'red line'?

Schorpio wrote: »
    I've got a question for you Solo - something I'm genuinely curious about.

What would be your breaking point? What would need to happen before you would think 'oh, maybe Brexit wasn't such a good idea'?

I know it's happening, and nobody can change it. I've even mentioned in my previous post that the people voted for it, so I hope it does. But I need to know - after all of the bad things and the negativity that have happened, after all the flip-flops from the Tory government, after the DUP getting a say in Westminster (which, as an Irish person you should agree isn't wonderful) - where is your 'red line'?

Good evening!

It is possible that Brexit can be implemented badly. I.E the Government not achieving a trade deal with the EU and not expanding trading relationships elsewhere but this wouldn't make me conclude that Brexit should be stopped. The UK isn't compatible with EU membership. It seems to go against the overriding political philosophy here.

I find a lot of the shibboleths on this thread interesting. You can't be Irish if you do X or you must think this if you're Irish. This is of course a highly flawed way of thinking.

The DUP arrangement is simply a result of Westminster arithmetic. I don't think the DUP are the spawn of the devil in much the same way I don't think Sinn Féin are. The British people didn't give May a majority (despite winning the biggest share for the Tories since Thatcher). Ideally from my perspective the Tories would have received a big enough share to govern on a more stable basis. You can't blame the DUP for taking the opportunity and for raising unionist concerns about an internal border.

My red lines for Brexit look quite similar to the British Government. Brexit must mean meaningfully taking back control of borders, money (inc trade policy) and laws.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

Enzokk wrote: »

I don’t think there’s likely to be much change on that.
    As it stands, the CTA exists and Ireland and the UK operate independent visa and immigration regimes for non EU nationals.

I would assume the UK would just maintain the status quo and if someone moves illegally into the UK via the Republic, they would simply be unable to work legally there.

It’s very, very unlikely that they would restrict EU nationals from entering without any formal controls anyway. I would say they’ll have a 90 day or possibly more open visa waiver. The issue they’ll go after is “leave to remain” beyond 90 days and rights to work there.

The hugely disruptive bit for Ireland is a customs border as the CTA arrangement never covered that.

If the UK tore up the CTA, that would be a whole other problem entirely.

Basically we are looking at a return to how things were in the 1960s, not just 1993.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭flatty

Phil Hogan on why a FTA on it's own isn't much use for this Island or even the UK.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/25/phil-hogan-ireland-eu-commissioner-brexit-chaos
    “I continue to be amazed at the blind faith that some in London place in theoretical future free trade agreements. First, the best possible FTA with the EU will fall far short of the benefits of being in the single market. This fact is simply not understood in the UK. Most real costs to cross-border business today are not tariffs – they are about standards, about customs procedures, about red tape. These are solved by the single market, but not in an FTA.”

This is a nice summation of how the UK's future trade talks will go. Nothing we haven't heard already, car crash stuff.
    Hogan warned Britain may struggle to keep the 59 trade deals it now has through the EU on the same terms. “The UK would be running to stand still,” he said. “When it comes to trying to negotiate new FTAs with the rest of the world, Britain will be pushed around the way the EU – with currently more than eight times the UK population – will never be.

“The US have already started their attack on standards, so chlorine chicken and hormone beef for the British Sunday roast post-Brexit? India will insist on visas that the UK can never give. Australia and New Zealand are a long way away and of very limited economic interest. And any deal with China will be a one-way street in terms of costs and benefits for the UK.”

Britain’s former EU ambassador, Sir Ivan Rogers
    “The internal market is an extraordinarily complex international law construct that simply doesn’t work in a way that permits the type of options that the current government is pushing for,”
    We will not have reached a new equilibrium in British economics and politics until 2030.”
    2030 that's a lot of uncertainty. How many investors know that , how many expansion plans will be put on hold ?

Project Fear from the London School of Economics
    Thomas Sampson of the LSE’s Centre for Economic Performance said Brexit could reduce UK living standards by up to 9% in the most pessimistic case.
    Honestly, I think 9% is optimistic.

It’s actually very hard to predict with any degree or accuracy as there’s a lot of unknown unknowns. A lot of faith is being placed in theoretical trade deals and their own negotiating skills.

The biggest risk would be a sudden change in market confidence in the UK economy and some kind of domino effect causing either a credit crash or a run on Sterling, or both.

What's worrying me is that there's very little coming from the British government at the moment that would give me confidence. It's all party politics and jingoism ahead of pragmatism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The mention of Mo, brings the best of politics to mind. Sadly, very few of that quality in the present UK Parliament.
    At least LB have stated that CU and Single Market are not off the table or red lines for them.

I would add that the CTA is a bit of a weird and typically British, vague agreement. It's not legally binding for example. Unlike Schengen, is pretty much down to the goodwill and cooperation of the parties involved.

Also prior to 1952, there was a border between the island of Ireland and the island of Britain. It deeply offended the Northern Unionists.

Then you'd the 2008 attempt to reintroduce a similar border based on, largely groundless, fears about terrorist risks.

But, I wouldn't necessarily think the CTA is the most reliable thing to assume will always exist, particularly with the direction of current UK politics.

Quite a good lot of information on Wikipedia about it. The history of is isn't really as long standing as you'd think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area

Think of it as a link Schengen without a treaty, based on a nod, a wink and a lot of precedent.

• Advertisement

flaneur wrote: »
    I don’t think there’s likely to be much change on that.
    As it stands, the CTA exists and Ireland and the UK operate independent visa and immigration regimes for non EU nationals.

I would assume the UK would just maintain the status quo and if someone moves illegally into the UK via the Republic, they would simply be unable to work legally there.

It’s very, very unlikely that they would restrict EU nationals from entering without any formal controls anyway. I would say they’ll have a 90 day or possibly more open visa waiver. The issue they’ll go after is “leave to remain” beyond 90 days and rights to work there.

The hugely disruptive bit for Ireland is a customs border as the CTA arrangement never covered that.

If the UK tore up the CTA, that would be a whole other problem entirely.

Basically we are looking at a return to how things were in the 1960s, not just 1993.

Sure, and the UK can decide who they allow into their country at their own will, but I don't know how someone can ask the country to take back control of their borders if they have an open border. There is passport/ID checks when you arrive in Ireland from the UK, but none when you travel the other way. That is not taking back control and for me its just a phrase used to justify leaving the EU by any means and by any reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement