Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Jaggo wrote: »
    I think my issue with most brexiteers' views tends to centre around one point: how much does the membership of the EU and Single Market benefit its member countries. I tend to think that it is massively under recognised in the peoples thinking (not just brexiteers).

The more I look at Brexit related elements during study and work, the more I realised that the benefits of EU are ingrained into how we work but also ingrained into how we think things should work. Activities such as transferring funds, imports, exports, borders, holidays, recognition of education qualifications, standards in medical drugs etc. have all become easier and become common place. Hence they are not recognised as important as they actually are. I think Barnier pointed this out some time ago - "Britain needs to be taught" speech. I think he is absolutely right.

So what tends to happen is that people are discussing the same problem but from entirely different viewpoints. One group of people will be getting a difficult lesson soon.

I agree, the point I'm making is that certain Brexiteers accept all the benefits of the EU, they accept all the positives. They simply prioritise national (or direct) sovereignty more. It is well worth exploring 'Flexit'. Its a Brexiteer doctrine which recognises that you cannot dismantle a 40-50 year symbiotic legal and political relationship between the UK and the EU in just 24 months. The argument is Brexit is a generational project, and the initial step is to move from EU membership to EEA/EFTA membership.

They argue that only 25% of EU directives and laws relates to the functioning of the EEA. So 75% of Brussels 'red tape' disappears immediately, while still maintaining Single Market membership. They also argue that the EU is actually a rules taker on a global level - many EU directives are implementations of global agreements. Lets remember the EU is beholden to the WTO - we *cant* compromise on the UK border without compromising on all borders. Flexiteers point to Norway which in theory is beholden to the EU as a member of EFTA, but in the fisheries industry Norway is hugely active and influential at the global level - which then passes agreements down to the EU to be implemented regionally. They argue the UK could equally seek influence at a global level on the industries that matter most to the UK and thus influence the result before the EU implements it and the EEA follows suit. They also argue that EFTA members are more easily able to defy the EU on red line issues than EU members are.

But ultimately, they view EFTA as a temporary safe harbour. To exit the EU, find a non-economically disastrous outcome, and then plan further developments from that safe point.

If you can cross the bridge that someone simply may not want EU membership and the 'ever closer union' that entails, they are entirely rational and indeed I've learned a huge amount about how the EU and the single market works from them. The problem is they are a tiny minority, and the Brexit project has been taken over lock stock and barrel by idiots to the despair of ourselves, and indeed the Flexiteers who are scathing of May, Bojo and the British political elite as a whole.

I would think it would be great for the debate if Flexiteers were involved in the thread, as they really have been thinking about how to achieve the best possible Brexit for a decade or more.

But instead we get... well, you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,964 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So as a Swiss, tell me why we should accept the UK in to EFTA and have them kick up dust for a few years, only to have them move off in a few years in any case when it suits them. On top of which given their size they would totally change the balance of the organization.

We are not members of the EEA, but EFTA is a valuable part of our trade strategy and I see no reason to accept it's destruction for the sake of the U.K. for a few years. I expect we'll veto the idea if we have to vote on such an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Jim2007 wrote: »
    So as a Swiss, tell me why we should accept the UK in to EFTA and have them kick up dust for a few years, only to have them move off in a few years in any case when it suits them. On top of which given their size they would totally change the balance of the organization.

We are not members of the EEA, but EFTA is a valuable part of our trade strategy and I see no reason to accept it's destruction for the sake of the U.K. for a few years. I expect we'll veto the idea if we have to vote on such an idea.

I agree with your sentiments, I don't think you get to vote on it though.

I laugh, but its true. My mother (who is not hugely political, nor particularly sympathetic to the EU on an emotional level) excitedly contacted me today to tell me 'the head man in the EU' said the future of the UK depended on Dublin. She was hugely impressed.

I think the EU is demonstrating to its members why its better to be in a group, than outside it. Ireland is a small country, but with the EU we have 450 million people standing behind us on the issues that matter the most to us. Equally we stand with them on the issues that matter most for them. I, against my brothers. I and my brothers against my cousins. I and my brothers and my cousins against the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Really surprised to see Donald Tusk come out so strongly today behind Ireland. Very hard for the EU to flip back from a veto being given to Ireland. Tbh I would like us to use whatever power we have in getting a favourable trade deal with the UK rather than have a frictionless border with the mysogenists in the DUP. Whatever powers we have, we can only use once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

MBSnr wrote: »
    Not entirely sure what you mean by "comment sections" but a site that seems to deal mostly with UK politics and is, to me pretty, much evenly divided between Leavers and Remainers is https://forums.digitalspy.com/categories/politics

Some interesting reading, factual detail (esp regarding WTO trade etc from a poster called sangreal) and the odd laugh from the comments.

Plenty of Irish posters there that are giving an insight in to things Irish, especially a perspective on Brexit from another country.

Interestingly the Leavers have become far less active on there since Brexit started to unravel.... :D

There are others in the UK which a google search will find, much like politics.ie, but seem rather dull in comparison...

Thanks, just the sort of thing I was looking for. Trying to gauge British (more so English) opinion through comment sections of newspaper articles is only sorta useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Is this how it feels to be part of an empire where members are considered equals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

never forget that NI voted to remain
    DUP don't really have a mandate on the Brexit issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

blackcard wrote: »
    Really surprised to see Donald Tusk come out so strongly today behind Ireland. Very hard for the EU to flip back from a veto being given to Ireland. Tbh I would like us to use whatever power we have in getting a favourable trade deal with the UK rather than have a frictionless border with the mysogenists in the DUP. Whatever powers we have, we can only use once.

It was already impossible for the EU to flip on Ireland having the veto - it is part and parcel of how it works. There was never a question of Ireland having the veto, it was more if it was going to be made politically uncomfortable for them to do so, and there was never even a hint of that from the position of the EU Commission or any other EU leader in all the months since the three questions were posed. The EU has stood with Ireland, to make it as little of Ireland vs Britain as possible. I wasn't surprised at Tusk speaking so strongly - the real end-goal is Ireland not to have to use its veto, which we didn't want to have to do (the least poisoning of the air between RoI and GB, the better). But this is also more important than just trade (although how trade will work for both countries also depends on it), Northern Ireland was one of the great successes of the EU project. A major help was that money that came through the EU aimed at prosperity and reconciliation projects was seen as neutral in a way that even American money was not (dollars had a nationalist bias). It is not in Europe's interests to see a peace treaty broken in Northern Ireland after twenty years of relative peace.

Ireland is badly exposed, not just economically, but socially. A hard border would be devastating to the Republic's economy, even before we get to the social tensions around a war that still could flare up again. So this is a red line and was going to be kept as one. This also unifies the EU, and rallying around a small country getting pressured by a larger one is bang on the underlying goals of the organisation and the optics reflect it in technicolour. Bar Britain being stubbornly incoherent long enough to fall off the edge of the cliff, the EU has nothing to lose by backing Ireland and a lot to lose by abandoning us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Not entirely sure what you mean by "comment sections" but a site that seems to deal mostly with UK politics and is, to me pretty, much evenly divided between Leavers and Remainers is https://forums.digitalspy.com/categories/politics

Some interesting reading, factual detail (esp regarding WTO trade etc from a poster called sangreal) and the odd laugh from the comments.

Plenty of Irish posters there that are giving an insight in to things Irish, especially a perspective on Brexit from another country.

Interestingly the Leavers have become far less active on there since Brexit started to unravel.... :D

There are others in the UK which a google search will find, much like politics.ie, but seem rather dull in comparison...

That Forum pretty much mirrors another UK forum I frequent (OCUK). Most of the Brexiters have gone very quiet lately as Project Reality sinks in. Those that do still post display an impressive capacity for cognitive dissonance as the facts, as they see them, change constantly.

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

But what Tusk said was, 'Ireland you won't need to use your veto. Just discuss with us your bottom line and it becomes the EU bottom line'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,494 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thargor wrote: »
    Im lovng this turn of events tbh, rubbing Paisley Jrs face in it :D

Hopefully now the reality turns out as much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

That Forum pretty much mirrors another UK forum I frequent (OCUK). Most of the Brexiters have gone very quiet lately as Project Reality sinks in. Those that do still post display an impressive capacity for cognitive dissonance as the facts, as they see them, change constantly.

Nate

That's the weird thing. The Leave posters aren't idiots at all (no more than the Remainers), but the opinions they submit are not based on much fact, just personal ill informed opinion

I know a number of Leavers (Irish family in the UK [bizarrely] and a good few acquaintances) and they are not in any means stupid people. However their views are strangely skewed and they voted Leave for a myriad of reasons, but in talking to them, it would appear that they took their 'information' on Brexit solely from the right wing media. An aunt from Ireland and an Australian (with a Danish passport) voted Leave due to too many immigrants... Go figure the irony.

I was mentioning to a few people over there when visiting last summer, that the border would be an issue and it was completely dismissed as the fella living in Ireland talking sh-1-te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,494 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Jim2007 wrote: »

I can totally understand. The EU has had 40 years of this carry on, changing and bending the curvature to suit the UK. Opt outs at every juncture.
    The EFTA works well for smaller, willing nations that have some buy in into the concept of Europe. I wouldn't want them anywhere near it if I was Switz or Norway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,221 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Water John wrote: »
    But what Tusk said was, 'Ireland you won't need to use your veto. Just discuss with us your bottom line and it becomes the EU bottom line'.

I can't help feeling that 'okay, we won't rule out regularity divergence' us going to be the fudge. And Leo and Simon will accept it.

Samaris wrote: »

It was already impossible for the EU to flip on Ireland having the veto - it is part and parcel of how it works. There was never a question of Ireland having the veto, it was more if it was going to be made politically uncomfortable for them to do so, and there was never even a hint of that from the position of the EU Commission or any other EU leader in all the months since the three questions were posed. The EU has stood with Ireland, to make it as little of Ireland vs Britain as possible. I wasn't surprised at Tusk speaking so strongly - the real end-goal is Ireland not to have to use its veto, which we didn't want to have to do (the least poisoning of the air between RoI and GB, the better). But this is also more important than just trade (although how trade will work for both countries also depends on it), Northern Ireland was one of the great successes of the EU project. A major help was that money that came through the EU aimed at prosperity and reconciliation projects was seen as neutral in a way that even American money was not (dollars had a nationalist bias). It is not in Europe's interests to see a peace treaty broken in Northern Ireland after twenty years of relative peace.

Ireland is badly exposed, not just economically, but socially. A hard border would be devastating to the Republic's economy, even before we get to the social tensions around a war that still could flare up again. So this is a red line and was going to be kept as one. This also unifies the EU, and rallying around a small country getting pressured by a larger one is bang on the underlying goals of the organisation and the optics reflect it in technicolour. Bar Britain being stubbornly incoherent long enough to fall off the edge of the cliff, the EU has nothing to lose by backing Ireland and a lot to lose by abandoning us.
    I don't remember the EU standing firmly behind us when a decision had to be made on who would pick up the tab for the debts of banks in 2010. Let's be honest. Ireland is a minor player in all of this. If people in the UK struggle to identify where the border between the UK and Ireland is, you would be lucky to find 1% of of the EU to identify where the border is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    never forget that NI voted to remain
    DUP don't really have a mandate on the Brexit issue

But everytime they're on TV over here they speak like they're speaking for everyone Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I don't remember the EU standing firmly behind us when a decision had to be made on who would pick up the tab for the debts of banks in 2010. Let's be honest. Ireland is a minor player in all of this. If people in the UK struggle to identify where the border between the UK and Ireland is, you would be lucky to find 1% of of the EU to identify where the border is.

Its about pecking order. Back then we were behind german banks. Now we're ahead of treasonous Brits

• Advertisement

I can't help feeling that 'okay, we won't rule out regularity divergence' us going to be the fudge. And Leo and Simon will accept it.

If that's the case though, that will be an Irish decision, with direct recompense to the Irish electorate. We cant blame the EU if our government blinks when there is some friendly pressure on a red line issue.

Ultimately though, we can take some comfort. The Irish-UK border will be an EU-UK border, and the EU and the UK must enforce WTO norms. If either the UK or the EU simply ignore the border, then they both must ignore all borders under WTO most favoured nations rules. The EU recognises the insanity of a border that has more crossing points than the EU border between the north of Finland and the Black Sea. Worst case scenario, we will be able to secure EU assistance on enforcing that border until the current UK Tory/Brexit junta collapses and a relatively sane (well, Corbynista at least) UK government stages a democratic coup.

Well there has to be some realism. Believe me, I recall where Ireland stood in the priorities at that time. However, I would point out that the 'hardliners' were essentially Trichet's ECB (subscribing to an EU federalist 'shock doctrine') who tried to create the biggest possible Eurozone crisis to force a federal response. The EU as a whole was largely - if uselessly (lets not forget the incredibly pointless Fiscal Compact) - sympathetic towards the PIIGS. And the lack of solidarity was not one way: Greece in particular seemed more intent on comparing 2011-12 Germany to 1933-45 Nazis than finding some sort of common ground.

Once Trichet and his cohort of fanatics were disposed of, the ECB suddenly found the tools to 'solve' the crisis. Funny that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

As I posted on another forum - I'd trust the EU, in this instance, more than the DUP or the Tories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Say what you want about Varadkar and the way he handled Frances FitzGearld and us nearly having an election this week, but himself and Coveney are really playing a blinder on the European stage.

To get that kind of a commitment out of Tusk for a country with only the population of Greater Manchester is no mean achievement. If you think about it, even when the UK is gone we're still only going to be 1% of the EU's population yet we're one of the three things the UK must address to our satisfaction before we move to stage two.

So much for the EU being 'undemocratic' and not listening to the concerns of smaller member states! Also shows the benefit of us of having a pro-European sentiment and us historically having a positive track record in terms of building alliances in Europe and just basically trying to get our hands dirty and get stuck into making the EU work for us and other countries rather than the UK's historic semi-detached approach and all the opt-outs and special statuses etc.

An analysis of the Tribes of Europe shows that Federalists are the smallest of the six groups. I would say less than 8% would be Federalist in Ireland.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-42108806

So our pro EU stance is a tempered one. Shown also by previous Referendums.
    I too, am a Contented European.

Most importantly though is EU Rejecters only total 14%.
    Very clever survey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Regardless of what transpires from here onwards, hasn't it been profoundly sad to see the attitudes this whole debacle has evoked in the UK? The nasty sneering attitude towards the small nation of Ireland merely standing up for its own interests, the resurrection of Unionist paranoia towards those south of the border who apparently constantly dream of ever more dastardly ways to wage a Papist genocide against Ulster Protestants, the old destructive enmity between Europe's former imperial powers being resurrected. Shame on those who have set out to undermine a political union which stood as a shining beacon to the world, however imperfect, that from the ashes of the most destructive war in history can rise a peaceful new form of globalism and supranational cooperation.

Having said all that, the Brexiteers gleefully foretold the domino effect of Project Nostalgia and the collapse of the European Union in the wake of Brexit. Interestingly, the EU has rarely looked so united, while I -- as a de jure British citizen -- have never felt as European as I do now.

Akrasia wrote: »

Its about pecking order. Back then we were behind german banks. Now we're ahead of treasonous Brits
    Do you think if you went to Rome, Madrid, Hamburg, Toulouse, Porto, or any European city, and asked to name to identify any issues affecting the EU, they would name Ireland as an issue. We are a tiny country at the periphery of Europe and are going to be sacrificed for the overall good.

Regardless of what transpires from here onwards, hasn't it been profoundly sad to see the attitudes this whole debacle has evoked in the UK? The nasty sneering attitude towards the small nation of Ireland merely standing up for its own interests, the resurrection of Unionist paranoia towards those south of the border who apparently constantly dream of ever more dastardly ways to wage a Papist genocide against Ulster Protestants, the old destructive enmity between Europe's former imperial powers being resurrected. Shame on those who have set out to undermine a political union which stood as a shining beacon to the world, however imperfect, that from the ashes of the most destructive war in history can rise a peaceful new form of globalism and supranational cooperation.

Having said all that, the Brexiteers gleefully foretold the domino effect of Project Nostalgia and the collapse of the European Union in the wake of Brexit. Interestingly, the EU has rarely looked so united, while I -- as a de jure British citizen -- have never felt as European as I do now.

Thank this guy and his merry band of followers. In fact EVERY time the next balls up with Brexit occurs i'm just going to post this picture.

Nigel-Farage-011.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do you think if you went to Rome, Madrid, Hamburg, Toulouse, Porto, or any European city, and asked to name to identify any issues affecting the EU, they would name Ireland as an issue. We are a tiny country at the periphery of Europe and are going to be sacrificed for the overall good.

You give very little credit to Europeans as to their awareness of major EU issues.

• Advertisement

That laughing clown, met Bannon this week in London. Another clown, Rees Mogg met Bannon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

The majority are far more considered than you appear to give them credit for.

The problem is blackcard, you think you are cynical, but you're not cynical enough. Do you think a random passerby on the streets of Rome, Madrid , Hamburg, Toulouse, Porto or any European city determines the priorities of the EU? The EU elite, personified in this cased by Donald Tusk, do and they are signalling very loudly and very clearly that they stand with Ireland.

There is no climb down for them from the stances they have taken regardless of what the average person on the street thinks or knows about Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Water John wrote: »
    An analysis of the Tribes of Europe shows that Federalists are the smallest of the six groups. I would say less than 8% would be Federalist in Ireland.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-42108806

So our pro EU stance is a tempered one. Shown also by previous Referendums.
    I too, am a Contented European.

Most importantly though is EU Rejecters only total 14%.
    Very clever survey.

Good to be in a minority. Ich bin ein Federalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Sand wrote: »
    The problem is blackcard, you think you are cynical, but you're not cynical enough. Do you think a random passerby on the streets of Rome, Madrid , Hamburg, Toulouse, Porto or any European city determines the priorities of the EU? The EU elite, personified in this cased by Donald Tusk, do and they are signalling very loudly and very clearly that they stand with Ireland.

There is no climb down for them from the stances they have taken regardless of what the average person on the street thinks or knows about the Ireland.

Agreed, and I would add the point that it might be shortsighted to look at Ireland as being an exception to some apparent rule that the EU is made up of large nations. There are 25 other member states beyond the truly big players of Germany, the UK and France. Italy and one or two others could be said to form a second tier of sorts. In other words, the majority of the EU is made up of small nations and the EU as a collective will not be willing to countenance the idea of shafting one of its small nations by simple virtue of the fact that it is small.

If anything, events over the past few weeks have emphasised how our standing in the world has actually dramatically increased. Where once we were a generally powerless plaything in the British sphere of influence, we now find ourselves in a position where we hold the balance of power. It is a remarkable moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,569 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can people not jaysus t'a fook not bloody to sense understand that once the UK are not in the single market that ROI will be 100% responsible for securing the EU border as per Lisbon Treaty. We are being led astray by Irish government official muppets thinking we are thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Can people not jaysus t'a fook not bloody to sense understand that once the UK are not in the single market that ROI will be 100% responsible for securing the EU border as per Lisbon Treaty. We are being led astray by Irish government official muppets thinking we are thick.

I'd hope that's the drink talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm worried about nationalists, like the large number of people in my extended family, on the other side of the non-border.

A lot of Unionists don't like what the GFA has 'done to them' and see nationalist parity/equality, the soft unification of Ireland, and the 'greening' of the north as an existential threat to their beloved, if unrequited, union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Agreed. The real crunch moment is yet to come and will put to the test how far the EU will back Ireland if/when the UK government try to fob us off with a vague wishy washy plan on regulatory convergence being some sort of devolved power for Stormont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

steddyeddy wrote: »
    But everytime they're on TV over here they speak like they're speaking for everyone Northern Ireland.

'The Right Honourable Imperial Lord Lieutenant of all Ulster' Arlene Foster.

The DUP are irredeemable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Was out in the Harbour Bar in Bray tonight. Met two lovely girls from Belfast who volunteered that they were Protestant. They were down for their Christmas shopping, as they do every year. I asked them their opinion on Brexit, they were in favour of the sea border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Sand wrote: »
    But instead we get... well, you know.

The advantage of having solo in the thread is that he is closely mimicking the Brexit wing of the Tory party. I don't know why he is doing that, but you can see him quoting the talking points - the settlement is payment for access, no deal is better than a bad deal etc. etc.

These points are, on the face of it, rank lunacy of the most bizarre kind, things that no Leave campaigner dared to say before the referendum, but now perhaps half the UK Government party is pushing them.

Without solo's script-reading, we would not be exposed here to the mad thinking of the Brexiteers at all.

And no, I am not suggesting that solo is mad or a Tory backbencher. He is simply reading from their talking points for some reason of his own, whether that is contrarianism, the zeal of the convert, or one of demfad's favourite explanations.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I'd say the Mail / Express / Telegraph / Sun headlines will be interesting this weekend.

*Note: Still not informed or accurate.

Thank this guy and his merry band of followers.

... image of Farage deleted for your sanity...

UKIP couldn't have done it alone. Huge numbers of Tory and Labour voters voted leave. The Remain campaign was pathetic, and neither of the big parties really believe in Europe.

Ich bin ein Federalist.

Ich too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

That's the weird thing. The Leave posters aren't idiots at all (no more than the Remainers), but the opinions they submit are not based on much fact, just personal ill informed opinion

I know a number of Leavers (Irish family in the UK [bizarrely] and a good few acquaintances) and they are not in any means stupid people. However their views are strangely skewed and they voted Leave for a myriad of reasons, but in talking to them, it would appear that they took their 'information' on Brexit solely from the right wing media. An aunt from Ireland and an Australian (with a Danish passport) voted Leave due to too many immigrants... Go figure the irony.

I was mentioning to a few people over there when visiting last summer, that the border would be an issue and it was completely dismissed as the fella living in Ireland talking sh-1-te

It is a strange phenomenon that I observed back in my home country too. Sometimes immigrants are against immigrantion. Maybe they feel more immigration would fuel controversy which may threaten their own status.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

There has been a huge amount of engagement in the past few days between all sides. Simon Coveney was reported yesterday in the Guardian as saying that a deal was still doable and that he had met directly with DUP. He mentioned that their views are important but they can’t have a veto on progress.

All of these media releases are carefully choreographed at this stage. It can be fun to decipher them.

This tells me that the UK:/DUP in their meetings with Dublin have not believed that we are acting solely on our interests but being dictated to by Brussels. Sammy Wilson said as much on TV3 the other night.

These statements firmly rebut that. It also shows that we are nowhere near agreement yet.

Tick Tock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I'd say the Mail / Express / Telegraph / Sun headlines will be interesting this weekend.

*Note: Still not informed or accurate.

The EU are backing a member state in favour of one that wants to leave. Who would have thought.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭solodeogloria

Tropheus wrote: »
    The EU are backing a member state in favour of one that wants to leave. Who would have thought.....

Good morning!

I've not really heard a good explanation so far as to why a sea border is a good option for the Republic in any case. It definitely isn't a good option for Northern Ireland with most trade by far going to the UK.

I'm going to be interested to see what's concluded in any case. I'm not fully convinced by the binary logic of sea border versus land border either admittedly.

Edit: on a more humorous note maybe the UK can keep its Doner kebabs! :pac:

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement