Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Account from An Post

• 14-07-2017 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭

Recieved an invitation from An Post this morning to apply for their "Smart Account" (www.smartaccount.ie).

Checked the website & it's €5 a month which is more than I currently pay (UB), but they have an interesting feature where your account has "Wallets", where you can lodge money to & operate Direct Debits from. This would save me the cost & hassle of two other accounts, but I'm waiting on clarrification from them on a number of questions. I'll update the thread when they do.

The main advantages I can see are that there's somewhere to do banking at the weekend & they have a cashback facility with a (limited) number of partners.

The card issued is a mastercard & is black, but for some reason they decided to put the an post logo in green on it which makes it somewhat ugly, they should have gone with a green card.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Get a EBS Money Manager account if you haven't one already -totally FREE. I'd keep away from this -not worth €5 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Duncanwooly

Did you get an answer to your questions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

I did & I forgot to post. Didn't bother going ahead with it myself
    Dear OU812,

Thank you for contacting An Post Smart Account.

Further to your recent enquiry; you are able to open a joint account between yourself and your wife, where you can share 2 wallets.

Wallets are free to use and free to transfer between, you can have direct debits sent from each individual wallet. Direct debits are free and included in the Monthly Maintenance Fee.

This means you can have your current account for everyday spending, a Wallet set for savings and a Wallet set for your Mortgage and grocery shopping.

Unfortunately, An Post Smart Account only offers a Debit card Smart Account, as far as I know, there are no plans to have a Credit Card option or any overdraft limits.

You will be able to access a quarterly statement from your online account.

Should you require any further assistance please don’t hesitate to contact us on 01705 8000.

Kind Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

This thing is far too complicated.
    The wallets is a good idea but this account is full of limitations. Smacks of them trying to get you in at one price and then charging more later.

Besides, banks are going to be going back to free current accounts very soon.

Ptsb do a free current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Download revolut app and get a mastercard
    Set up direct debits transfers and currwncy exchange at interbank rate.
    No fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

OU812 wrote: »
    Checked the website & it's €5 a month which is more than I currently pay (UB),

Fees include:
    - €60 per year in maintenance fees.
    - €0.60 per ATM transaction.
    - €0.50 per cash lodgement.
    - €0.90 plus 3.0% of Transaction Value for non-EUR ATM use.
    - 3.0% of Transaction Value for non-EUR transactions.

Rip off versus the other current account products available.
    OU812 wrote: »
    but they have an interesting feature where your account has "Wallets", where you can lodge money to & operate Direct Debits from.

Yawn. This is principally a savings account with zero interest paid.

Also of note:
    - No Android Pay support.
    - No Apple Pay support.

The account does seem more expensive than others on the market. It is possible to "cover" those costs by shopping at certain retailers and availing of the cash back on offer, but other banks are also doing the same.

I read in the blurb that it's backed by one of the biggest banks in Ireland, does anyone know which one? I was thinking it was either AIB or Ulster banks as they already have some banking services at an post.

This thing is far too complicated.
    The wallets is a good idea but this account is full of limitations. Smacks of them trying to get you in at one price and then charging more later.

Besides, banks are going to be going back to free current accounts very soon.

Ptsb do a free current account.

PTSB don't do a FREE account anymore for New Customer's.

EBS Money Manager is the way too go as long as you can live without contactless card,mobile app,no cheque book,no overdraft.

EBS and Revolut combined can work well.

Who still uses cheques?

Who still uses cheques?

I got some from my bank specifically to use with State Savings to purchase new bonds and certificates.

State Savings use cheques to pay Interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Who still uses cheques?

I was behind an old lady in SuperValu two weeks ago who opened up a cheque book and wrote a cheque to pay for her groceries... it was the first time I'd seen anyone write a cheque in years.

Okon wrote: »
    I was behind an old lady in SuperValu two weeks ago who opened up a cheque book and wrote a cheque to pay for her groceries... it was the first time I'd seen anyone write a cheque in years.

That's mad

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

That's mad

I was raging as she was taking ages, and me with me three or four items!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

Who still uses cheques?

Have a cheque book specifically to pay school stuff. School doesn't accept CC, discourages cash & no online option. Total pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kbattlee

My husband opened an An Post Smart Account in July 17. He had a decent sum of money paid into his account from within the eurozone but the money just never arrived.
    10 days later he called and An Post and they confirmed absolutely no money was lodged yet he had physical proof of the transaction. He went into an An Post branch to get help but they dont have any smart account reps in the offices at all ANYWHERE, the are only on the end of a phone. The An Post staff tried calling for him but the very kind lady was stonewalled.
    He then called An Post again and they said they will get back to him, which they never did. Two days later he called again, to be told they have now found the funds and he should see them in a day or so.
    Shocking... hes now too scared to put any funds in the account.
    It is a cute account with bells and whistles but seems to have some very serious glitches to iron out.
    Lets see if the funds do arrive. But i would be very hesitant to jump in and use these accounts properly for a few months.
    Just our experience :(

That's shocking, clearly they have payment routing issues and staff training issues. What made you open this expensive product in the first place?

It sounded great with the free contactless and wallets because they are easy to setup and separate funds for budgeting purposes. Bad move unfortunately, and we've learnt the hard way. The deadline they gave for the funds to reflect has come and gone too, so now its a wait and see situation again.

Update on missing funds: AN POST SMART ACCOUNT

Still no funds, turns out yesterdays promise of funds being found was an outright LIE. Shocking!!
    We have called at least 4/5 times now over as many days and every day they seem to start from scratch investigating the matter.
    I called again now and asked to speak to a supervisor. Bad experience as she was condescending and also caught herself out with a lie as she said she had no knowledge of my husbands issue and i must explain it, but then proceeded to tell me she had escalated the issue prior to taking my call. Wtf!!!
    The basics are still no funds. No feedback. Not a single call or email with an update. No reference number to track. No idea of when this will be resolved. No offices/branches to go to for help. No idea what the actual issue really is. NOTHING
    So i will say it again DO NOT PUT YOUR MONEY INTO THE AN POST SMART ACCOUNT
    I asked for an email from Operations letting him know what is being done and he has just received this response:
    "
    Thank you for contacting our customer services department.

We would like to assure you that the issue regarding your missing funds is currently being looked into.

We will contact you as soon as we have further information.

Kind regards

Sarah Brown
    An Post Card Services"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

kbattlee wrote: »
    Update on missing funds: AN POST SMART ACCOUNT

Still no funds, turns out yesterdays promise of funds being found was an outright LIE. Shocking!!
    We have called at least 4/5 times now over as many days and every day they seem to start from scratch investigating the matter.
    I called again now and asked to speak to a supervisor. Bad experience as she was condescending and also caught herself out with a lie as she said she had no knowledge of my husbands issue and i must explain it, but then proceeded to tell me she had escalated the issue prior to taking my call. Wtf!!!
    The basics are still no funds. No feedback. Not a single call or email with an update. No reference number to track. No idea of when this will be resolved. No offices/branches to go to for help. No idea what the actual issue really is. NOTHING
    So i will say it again DO NOT PUT YOUR MONEY INTO THE AN POST SMART ACCOUNT
    I asked for an email from Operations letting him know what is being done and he has just received this response:
    "
    Thank you for contacting our customer services department.

We would like to assure you that the issue regarding your missing funds is currently being looked into.

We will contact you as soon as we have further information.

Kind regards

Sarah Brown
    An Post Card Services"

As bad as all the other banks are, at least ye get a lodgement/deposit slip from them.
    Did your dad get one from them and has he got it?
    It would resolve this matter fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

a.) Ask the sender's bank to put a trace on it and to confirm it has actually reached AnPost's payment processor

b.) Call AnPost and tell them you want to log a formal complaint and get a complaint reference number

c.) Contact the Central Bank with the complaint reference number and ask them to check into this

d.) Contact the financial ombudsman with the complaint reference number. You can log a complaint online on their website. And as far as regulators go, they actually are very helpful in my experience.

Also if the payment was done less than 14 days ago the sender's bank could try to do a recall instead of a trace giving that there clearly is an issue with the credit.

• Advertisement

Thank you that is great advice. Will do that now.

The funds were a bank deposit by another party, but yes we have their deposit confirmation and a bank statement showing it leaving their account.

Further Update on missing funds: AN POST SMART ACCOUNT
    A full day later my husband has still not received funds or ANY form of communication/feedback from AnPost Smart Account representatives. NOTHING.
    He called them now and they have confirmed that they definitely cant find the funds. It seems their "eurozone" payment processes have not been set up - either at all or properly.
    So thats where we are at.
    The sender has lodged a query with their bank and they are assisting us. I cant speak for AnPost and what they are or aren't doing because they are dead quiet on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You really should complain to the central bank!

kbattlee wrote: »
    He called them now and they have confirmed that they definitely cant find the funds. It seems their "eurozone" payment processes have not been set up - either at all or properly.

That is really really serious if true. An Post should not be operating a current account service in the state if they are not properly set up for SEPA payments from all Eurozone countries.

Agree with Yggr of Asgard, a complaint should be made to the Central Bank of Ireland.

He has emailed asking for a reference and letting them know that he will be lodging a formal complaint as Yggr of Asgard had suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

An Post management are great for bringing out fancy schemes and leafleting all the POs etc. I use An Post fairly regularly for post and recently saw details of some scheme where you could get a discount if you sent more than a certain value of packets/ parcels each week. Lot's of shiny info in local PO. Grand says I and ask at the counter - turns out it only applies to the Premium Service Express Post service for which they already charge extravagantly. So no use to us and very likely of no use to 99.9999% of customers in this particular PO anyway.

You get the impression that An Post management need a good shakeup and a dose of living in the real commercial world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

Having similar problem.

It's taken 27 hours for a transfer from one SA to another SA!

This is second time it took as long.

I asked (UK) Help Team supervisor one simple question: "How long does it take to transfer from one account to another online - I presume it's instant?"

They said they didn't know and would have to ask head office!

Still waiting for an update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Why would anyone open an account with AP who are amateur bankers when there are far better options about? Like use a CU if you need a branch, N26 etc if you dont.

Even Bank of Incompetence are a better choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Joe Duffy.

ED E wrote: »
    Why would anyone open an account with AP

All the tv/radio advertising for it is brainwashing people:eek:

Advertisement