Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade advice

Options
  • 14-07-2017 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Long time lurker...first time poster;-)... So I've been back on the bike after a 20 year hiatus (drunk driver mowed me down on my old 90's Olmo!!!) bought a Cube Aerial approx 3 years ago (doesn't even have Carbon forks lol) and have been tipping away on that, really enjoying the spins and been thinking of upgrading.

I go for a spin approx 3/4 times a week, 40-60k per spin, cycle alone, @ 45 I'll never be in a club\race so any advice on suitable upgrade? Was thinking something lighter, 105 GroupSet. Is a Carbon frame even worthwhile for what I do?

Any thoughts much appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

"@ 45 I'll never be in a club\race" ?? Why not?

What's your budget for this upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

07Lapierre wrote: »
    "@ 45 I'll never be in a club\race" ?? Why not?

What's your budget for this upgrade?

Wouldn't like to be holding others up\getting dropped every spin;-)

With that in mind Any point paying north of €1k?

Was looking at this and Shimano 105 Group set and building as I go?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCRFF/planet-x-pro-carbon-road-frameset

Torres09 wrote: »
    Wouldn't like to be holding others up\getting dropped every spin;-)

With that in mind Any point paying north of €1k?

Was looking at this and Shimano 105 Group set and building as I go?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCRFF/planet-x-pro-carbon-road-frameset

Im almost 50! i've been holding my fellow clubmates up on club spins for almost 8 years now! :)

You've linked to a frameset...its more economical to buy a complete bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

If there's an over 40's club in I'm.

Yeah thinking of either, my brother is a bike mechanic so building is an option. That frame + 105 ( there one almost brand new set on DD for €330 ) comes in about €600 am I not half way there for a practally brand new bike? I know I'll need the other components but doubt there's anything second hand like-for-like for that money?

Like I said I've been out of the game for years so all advice welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Those planetx bikes are lovely looking machines. Had my heart set on a rose but now I'm undecided mmmmmm:o

• Advertisement

Torres09 wrote: »
    If there's an over 40's club in I'm.

I know I'll need the other components but doubt there's anything second hand like-for-like for that money?

maybe not, but for a bit more you could get a ready to ride/race bike.

e.g heres a good example: http://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/specialized-venge-expert-56cm/11910896

excellent bike completed with full Ultegra groupset.

i'm sure if you haggle you'd get this for €1500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I was in a similar position to you OP and had (have) the exact same bike as you. I'm not in a club solely because of my shift patterns, and I've no interest in racing as I know where I'd finish..
    I took ages to decide on my upgrade bike and eventually settled on a Rose. Their bikes are very similar to Canyon and really good value for money. I went for full carbon and Di2. Do I need it? Not really. Is it better / nicer to ride? Definitely. If you enjoy your Cube now, you will definitely enjoy a lighter bike more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Worth considering what exactly you want from your new bike that's different to your current bike. If its longer solo rides, maybe more relaxed geometry which will be more comfortable. In terms of priority, are you more concerned about comfort, speed, bling, reliability, possibility to handle light off road, possibility to do some loaded touring etc... IMHO, the best upgrade you can get will be the one that has you out cycling more and enjoying each outing as much as possible. FWIW, I also went for a Rose bike which I love and was great value, but took quite awhile to get to me. One nice thing about their site is you can build up the bike to suit yourself and your budget. Ribble do something similar, not so sure about other manufacturers.

For a nice all round carbon option, the current offer on the Canyon Endurace CF 7 seems to hit the sweet spot at €1299.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

if you are thinking of something to do everything then this could be an idea:
    https://www.canyon.com/en/road/endurace/endurace-cf-sl-disc-8-0.html

GCN had this out doing CX even though its road bike. itll take up to 33mm tyres. comes with 28mm Gp4000s on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement