Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cahersiveen - Beenatee loop walk Vs Cnoc na dTobar - which is more difficult?

Options

Comments

Haven't done Beenatee...it just looks like a nice hill behind the town. Cnoc na dTobar is a mountain, almost twice as high, but it's pretty straightforward, no significant exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

It depends on what route you are taking on Cnoc na dTobar. You can park up near Coonanna and hike up to the cross and then return to your car. The route up is not too difficult, mainly zig-zags. Views from the top are spectacular. You could do that in 2-3 hours with plenty of rest stops. You could also extend your walk by exploring across the top of the mountain.

The alternative is to park one car at Roads, near Kells, and then take a 2nd car and start from Coonanna, walk up and across the mountain, and descend to your 2nd car at Roads. There is a track to follow. Its long but not too difficult, 5-6 hours with stops. Check mountainviews.ie for more info on possible routes. Follow all the usual precautions for long walks in remote areas - maps, compass, gear, water, phone etc.

There are several walks around Beentee. The main loop is about 8km, so 3hrs+ to do it, but at some points the going gets quite tough. Views from the top are good, but not in the same league as Cnoc na dTobar. One big advantage is that there are plenty of pubs to have a rewarding pint in when you finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Thanks very much for your replies.
    Is Coonanna the closest place to park? 
    I'd like to keep it as easy as possible the first time I climb it as I may have some very young/unfit walkers.
    We will only attempt it if the forecast is very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Coonanna is the best place to start. The way up is now fully marked - check out their FB page.

Advertisement