Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most competitive bin collection?

• 14-07-2017 3:53pm

I'm moving into a house which currently has Panda waste collection. As I won't be moving in for a few months due to construction work and the last owners left their bins full, I'll have to pay somebody to do a once-off collection of each bin. Panda charge €8 per bin to remove them. Is there a cheaper alternative?

Moreover, in the longer term what company offers the best value collection in south-east Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Panda charge €8 per bin to remove them. Is there a cheaper alternative?

I would bet all the beer I'm going to consume this weekend that neither supplier will come and take away the other guy's bin.
    Moreover, in the longer term what company offers the best value collection in south-east Dublin?

Even if we told you the current standing charges, per lift and per kg charges for both suppliers, it would mean nothing as you are going to end up paying under the as yet unannounced new charging system. Neither of them publish their current rates on their websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've moved to communal bins, but I always found Panda to be the best financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

coylemj wrote: »
    Panda charge €8 per bin to remove them. Is there a cheaper alternative?

I would bet all the beer I'm going to consume this weekend that neither supplier will come and take away the other guy's bin.

Even if we told you the current standing charges, per lift and per kg charges for both suppliers, it would mean nothing as you are going to end up paying under the as yet unannounced new charging system. Neither of them publish their current rates on their websites.
    DLRCOCO have had the charges in for the past few years.

ted1 wrote: »
    DLRCOCO have had the charges in for the past few years.

'in' where?

Their website?

Link?

422501.PNG

Here's a screenshot of my bill , they bought the charging method at least 8 years ago

Also remember greenstar was sold to panda so effectively they are the same company

• Advertisement

OK, did some research and apparently there are only two "kerbside" household collectors authorised in the DLR area: Panda and Greyhound: 'Please note: All household waste collection is now privatised and carried out by private companies. Panda and Greyhound are the two operator’s providing a kerbside wheelie bin service in our area.' (Source)

I also discovered that, despite this article's claim, Greenstar and Panda is the one company in DLR (I asked the Greenstar person if they were the same, after she had just given me precisely the same charges as Panda had).

That clarified, here are the charges as of yesterday, 20.2.2018:

Two bin sizes: 140ltr & 240ltr. Brown bin is 140 litre; black bin is 240 litre.

1. Panda/Greenstar:

Fee: €86 yearly service (includes bins)
    Black bin: €3.20 per lift, and 27 cent per kg in bin.
    Brown bin: €2.56 per lift and 16 cent per kg in bin.
    €86 annual fee includes green bin.

2. Greyhound:

€25 per month flat rate unlimited weight. Includes new bins. No other costs.

I'm not sure which works out better value for a family at those rates. Would the average bill per family be less or more than Greyhound's €300 per annum fee? Any other issues to consider between both companies?

I also discovered that, despite this article's claim, Greenstar and Panda is the one company in DLR (I asked the Greenstar person if they were the same, after she had just given me precisely the same charges as Panda had).

They could be the same company but the DLR customers who were serviced by Greenstar were moved en bloc to Greyhound when Panda took them over. The default (if you did nothing) was that your customer details were handed over to Greyhound and you became their customer. You could if you chose ask to go to Panda instead.

I understood that flat fees were going to be eliminated or severely reduced and the charges moved to 'pay by weight' i.e. the lift and per kg charges would be increased to incentivize people to reduce waste.

The Greyhound flat rate quoted above goes totally against this policy as there is no incentive whatever to reduce waste.

Are you sure you haven't quoted those companies the wrong way around? I'm with Greyhound in DLR and for the past two years I paid a 'general waste service charge' (black bin only) of €65 for the year ending March 31st plus collection charges for the black bin which are €3.20 per lift and 28c per kg, I don't have a brown bin. Green bin service is 'free' i.e. no collection charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

Panda to start charging for Green bin collections. Small charge but a charge.
    80 cent per lift and 4.5 per kg.

ROVER wrote: »

For paper and plastic recyclables, that wouldn't bother me much but if Greyhound start charging for the green bin, I will definitely be taking my glass and bottles to the bottle bank. They still allow glass in their green bins in DLR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Panda now offer electricity and gas.

A combination deal of waste, electricity and gas will probably be the best for all 3.

Certainly their 22% off gas & electricity is currently the best offer - and they give you a €50 waste discount if you have your waste with them too
    https://www.pandapower.ie/switch-now/

• Advertisement

I havn’t heatd anything, where did you see this ? Bear in mind they have different pricing schemes for different areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

ted1 wrote: »
    I havn’t heatd anything, where did you see this ? Bear in mind they have different pricing schemes for different areas

I got the letter as well. Deansgrange area.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Certainly their 22% off gas & electricity is currently the best offer - and they give you a €50 waste discount if you have your waste with them too
    https://www.pandapower.ie/switch-now/

Maybe with the 50 euro off it is the best deal, but not sure otherwise
    Just checked bonkers.ie using national averages
    => best deal Electricity with Bord Gais; Gas with Flogas => 1438.86
    => best dual fuel Panda Power @ 28% discount => 1444.97
    After that its dual fuel bundles
    from Bord Gais => 1452.26
    from Energia => 1455.11
    For the above ones, it really is down to the usage pattern as some will have higher standing orders than others. Its worth checking this
    SSE and Just come in a bit higher at 1477.58 and 1507.76

My point being, bundling is not always the cheapest option and always pays to look around

2. Greyhound:

I'm not sure which works out better value for a family at those rates. Would the average bill per family be less or more than Greyhound's €300 per annum fee? Any other issues to consider between both companies?

I quickly totted up my waste usage for the last two years (myPanda came in very handy for this). I am working out at around 450kg per year in black waste [not sure how much of this was nappies] with around 22 lifts in a year and 575kg of green waste on 22 lifts. The price including a few bin washes comes in at 450 euro for the year.

What I have personally found is since food waste cannot go into the black bin, we are putting out the brown bin nearly every two weeks. During the winter we hold off to the 4 weeks on occasion, but during the summer this is not possible. The bins are held in the garage area and would become toxic if left for a month in any heat. So we end up with a lot of less than half full brown bin lifts, really racking up the costs.

I checked Greyhound there and they are quoting 18.50 a month up to 42 kg a month in black waste, and 30 cent thereafter. I have never hit that per quarter which is the only breakdown I have from Panda. Based on that, it would half my waste costs
    https://greyhound.ie/pricing-options-plans/#
    So guess that is the next item on the action list !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I quickly totted up my waste usage for the last two years (myPanda came in very handy for this). I am working out at around 450kg per year in black waste [not sure how much of this was nappies] with around 22 lifts in a year and 575kg of green waste on 22 lifts. The price including a few bin washes comes in at 450 euro for the year.

What I have personally found is since food waste cannot go into the black bin, we are putting out the brown bin nearly every two weeks. During the winter we hold off to the 4 weeks on occasion, but during the summer this is not possible. The bins are held in the garage area and would become toxic if left for a month in any heat. So we end up with a lot of less than half full brown bin lifts, really racking up the costs.

I checked Greyhound there and they are quoting 18.50 a month up to 42 kg a month in black waste, and 30 cent thereafter. I have never hit that per quarter which is the only breakdown I have from Panda. Based on that, it would half my waste costs
    https://greyhound.ie/pricing-options-plans/#
    So guess that is the next item on the action list !

I don't really get the whole brown bin idea unless you have no garden. If you have any bit of a garden then a couple of the plastic composters are a much better idea. When one is full (takes ages usually) leave it compost and start filling the other. We have the base of ours sunk about 6 inches down under the soil and put everything into them. Even meat scraps/fish/bones ect. Never a problem with rodents or with the actual composting process. It all seems to break down over time.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I don't really get the whole brown bin idea unless you have no garden. If you have any bit of a garden then a couple of the plastic composters are a much better idea. When one is full (takes ages usually) leave it compost and start filling the other. We have the base of ours sunk about 6 inches down under the soil and put everything into them. Even meat scraps/fish/bones ect. Never a problem with rodents or with the actual composting process. It all seems to break down over time.

And this is absolutely fine if done when designing the garden area or if the garden has a defined utility area. I have the garden fully 'designed', with the perimeter of the garden fully utilised and not willing to change it to put in some composters.
    If I was designing it again, I would have kept a utility area for compostors - hindsight is great !!

I still believe the brown bin charges are too high from Panda, for something which in effect is fully biodegradable. The difference between the brown bin and black bin is not large enough.

If the issue is contamination of waste, whether it be brown waste or recyclables, then that needs to be addressed at source.

2. Greyhound:

I commenced the process to move to Greyhound today and ordered the bins etc. The deal I went for is
    €18.50 a month flat rate for 42kg a month in the black bin. I have checked we we just between 35-40kg a month at the moment. There is no charge for the green or brown bins for the moment. This works out at €222 euro a year, so roughly half what I paid Panda last year. If they change the pricing structure later in the year, we are able to break the contract without penalty

I did ring Panda to cancel, and they called me back offering free lifts until the end of April and they are bringing out a new pricing structure for DLR at that stage. I told them I would still move to Greyhound, and we could discuss next year based on how competitive their pricing is at that stage.

So the difference between Panda & Greyhound at the moment is probably based on your ratio between black and brown waste.

OK, did some research and apparently there are only two "kerbside" household collectors authorised in the DLR area: Panda and Greyhound: 'Please note: All household waste collection is now privatised and carried out by private companies. Panda and Greyhound are the two operator’s providing a kerbside wheelie bin service in our area.' (Source)

1. Panda/Greenstar:

Fee: €86 yearly service (includes bins)
    Black bin: €3.20 per lift, and 27 cent per kg in bin.
    Brown bin: €2.56 per lift and 16 cent per kg in bin.
    €86 annual fee includes green bin.

2. Greyhound:

OK, a year later and my Panda bill was slightly under €360 for a full year (including the above €86). Does Greyhound still over the above €25 per month/€300 per year flat fee with no additional costs? Is there any cheaper competitor in this area now? Any way to get a discount with Panda if I stay with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Moving2017

OK, a year later and my Panda bill was slightly under €360 for a full year (including the above €86). Does Greyhound still over the above €25 per month/€300 per year flat fee with no additional costs? Is there any cheaper competitor in this area now? Any way to get a discount with Panda if I stay with them?

This might contain the answers you're looking for: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057953870

Moving2017 wrote: »
    This might contain the answers you're looking for: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057953870

Further to all the above. I rang Panda and told them that Greyhound was cheaper and I was thinking of moving and they said they'd collect all bins for a set €78 every 3 months/€312 per year (i.e. regardless of the number of lifts and weight) so it was worth ringing them. Thanks to all suggestions above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement